Pizza Kale Chips : A Raw Food Recipe by Amber Shea

Wednesday Jun 13 | BY |

Excerpted from Amber’s book, Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make.

If you’re at all unsure about the gustatory merits of kale chips, try this recipe first. You’ll be shocked at how outrageously fantastic these pizza-flavored crunchers are.

Total prep time: about 8 hours
Active prep time: 10 minutes

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 188 calories, 10g fat (1g sat), 17.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 11.3g protein

1/4 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 to 4 hours and drained
1/4 cup hempseeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons filtered water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, roughly chopped (6 to 8 cups)

Combine all ingredients except kale in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, adding a splash of water if needed.

In a large bowl, combine the kale and the pizza sauce. Use your hands to massage the sauce all over the kale, making sure it’s coated completely.

Make it Raw: Arrange the kale in a single layer on a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 8 hours or overnight, until crisp.

Make it Baked: Preheat the oven to 300°F and grease a baking sheet with coconut oil. Arrange the kale in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and use a fork or spatula to carefully flip the kale chips over. (It’s ok if you miss a few.) Bake for 5 to 10 more minutes, watching carefully to make sure the kale doesn’t burn, then remove from the oven and let cool completely.

Substitutions:
Hempseeds: additional sunflower seeds or cashews
Red bell pepper: 1 medium ripe tomato, cored, seeded, and chopped
Oregano: dried basil

Amber Shea

Amber Shea

Amber Shea Crawley is a linguist, chef, and author specializing in healthful vegan and raw food. Known for her flexible recipes and friendly voice, she was classically trained in the art of gourmet living cuisine at the world-renowned Matthew Kenney Academy, graduating in 2010 as a certified raw and vegan chef. In 2011, she earned her Nutrition Educator certification at the Living Light Culinary Arts Institute.

Her first cookbook, Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make is 100% vegan and debuted in March 2012. Amber blogs at Almost Vegan Chef and can be found on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Karen says:

I’m definitely going to try these! Yum!!!

2. Anne Twine says:

I want to try these can I dry them in the oven I don’t have a dehydrator

3. Cathy says:

I recently p/u this recipe book and have enjoyed everything I’ve tried so far – have not used this recipe yet but will do! Amber’s book is creative and user friendly, sensible and delicious!

4. Ronn says:

I second what Cathy says about Amber’s book. It’s truly unique and creative, with fun recipes that are delicious, yet simple and easy to make. I’ve made a bunch of recipes from the book, and every one of them was great! Highly recommended.

5. Beverly says:

Love this recipe, for my health I take adult stem cell nutrition , God Bless America

6. Ronn says:

To Anne Twine – read through the recipe here; you’ll see Amber’s instructions for baking these in your oven. 🙂

7. Ronn says:

To Beverly: Why not “God Bless the whole world”? I’ve never understood why Christians just want God to bless America.

8. Lance says:

I agree with the comments about Amber’s book. Even all the reviews on Amazon are just people raving about it: http://amzn.to/P0KayM

I was also curious though if someone has experimented with using the oven as a “food dehyrator” method. And if so, how long and at what temp do you recommend using?

9. Rebecca Cody says:

This sounds delish – definitely something I’ll try. And here’s another kale chip recipe which is a proven winner. It’s the one they make at An Oasis of Healing in Mesa, AZ. You could use the oven as described above if you don’t have a dehydrator. I can demolish the whole batch in just a day or two.

Cheesy Kale Chips

1 cup cashews, soaked 1/2 hour
    1 lemon, juiced (2-3 tbs)
    1 small tomato (I like it better without this)
    2 tbs white miso
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp seasalt
    1/2-1 cup filtered water
    2 bunches kale, stemmed and cut, or torn, into large pieces

Place all ingredients except kale and water into blender.

Add 1/4 cup water and blend. If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit more water until the consistency is smooth but not too watery.

Place cut and de-stemmed kale in a large bowl.

Pour the cheesy mixture over the kale and gently massage until all leaves are covered on both sides.

Place the kale cheesy mixture on dehydrator trays covered with teflex sheets, spreading the kale out so there are no clumps.

Dehydrate overnight or until it reaches the desired crispness. )I like to dehydrate it 24 hours.)

Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge. Lasts up to one month. (It probably won’t be around that long!)

10. This looks yummy,look forward to trying it.
    Annabelle

11. Mary Kay says:

You can never have too many kale-chip recipes! Thanks again.

12. Oleander says:

I love kale as it is. Can’t help feeling that the drying / baking will deplete some nutrients.

Also, re the comment. ‘God bless America’ – I find this strange and ‘isolationist’. I have just returned from 2 weeks in the US.- New England. One of a number of annual trips to visit family.

I always come away with the impression that although US is very large, it feels emotionally isolated from the rest of the world. (I have lived in Saudi, Bahrein, Libya, Hong Kong, Nigeria)

Oleander, indiginous British national.

13. Sueann says:

To Anne Twine,

If you are looking to bake them in your oven and still keep them raw, it is more difficult to do. You would need to keep the temperature down, not 300 degrees. And it might take longer to “cook” and will not be as crispy. You might have to work with it a bit. If your oven is set to, maybe, 150 degrees, the food itself is not heated that high. but it might be over the desired 118 degrees for it to remain raw. I hope this helps if this is what you meant by using your oven.

These do taste great along with other food made in the dehydrator. If you find yourself wanting to make items requiring a dehydrator, you can go online and find ones on ebay for less cost. I have purchased a few that way. Good Luck.

14. Den says:

I agree Ronn. God bless the whole world. However, it is not just Christians whom express this.What we refer to as GOD is different in individual cultures. So, let the world bless one another. And, find harmony.

15. Amyah says:

Question

If we don’t have sundried/dehydrated tomatoes, what would you suggest for replacing it in this/or a recipe?

Looking forward to try this recipe 🙂

Amyah

16. Oleander says:

Yes, Den, I agree whole heartedly!
    In my work with refugees and those seeking asylum, I am deeply aware of a core spirituality within the human race (and my personal belief,- within the animal kingdom also)

17. naomi says:

Thanks making them right now!!

18. Thanks for all the kind words on my recipe, everyone!

Amyah, if you don’t have sundried tomatoes, you can leave them out and just use 1 whole red pepper instead of 1/2. 🙂

19. jan says:

Geat! I now have your book, and love all the recipes, but a little confused, or I missed something, but I can not see what the temperture is supposed to be set at, it just says 8 hrs.