Awesome and Healthy Quinoa Salad : A Guest Recipe for Renegade Health

Monday Mar 19 | BY |

Annmarie and I spent this weekend at the Hay House “I Can Do It! IGNITE” Conference…

It was awesome!

We had a ton of fun listening and then hanging out with all the amazing speakers. I’ll keep you posted on some of them, since I have some feelers out to interview a few of them — many of them where seriously good.

We actually were only going to stay for the first day, but then ended up getting a hotel room both nights and staying up late talking with old and new friends.

Anyway, I wanted to share one of the simplest and best quinoa salad recipes I’ve ever had before. A few weeks ago, before we went to Anaheim our friends came over and reminded us of their amazing quinoa salad recipe that we had eaten at an art show that they catered.

My mouth started to water when we were talking about it.

So I asked her if she had recorded a video on how to make it so I could share it with you. Luckily, she did.

That’s what today’s video is… our friend and chef and motivator Shivie is going to show you how to make this easy and delicious salad right now…

Your Question of the Day: Do you eat quinoa? If so, how often?

Here’s this healthy salad recipe:

Makes a large amount for a potluck so feel free to half the recipe…

4 cups of quinoa, rinsed well, cooked and cooled

To cook quinoa in rice cooker add 4 cups of quinoa to 4.5 c of water, put on white rice setting.

On the stove add 4c quinoa to 6.5c water bring to boil and allow to simmer slowly with lid on for 12-15 until water is absorbed and quinoa has expanded with little rings around it

Veggies:

There are no rules here, use what you have, I like crunchy and below is what i used on the video

5 carrots diced
5 stalks celery diced
1.5 apples diced
4oz sugar snap peas diced
1 red bell pepper diced
Fresh organic corn (we didn’t have corn in the video but it is a delightful addition both for flavor and color)

Dressing:

Again this is a large portion but it does keep very well. Basically half and half oil and a small amount (proportionately) of maple syrup. take to work in a jar and leave in the fridge for days when you don’t have time to take lunch. Grab a to go salad and use your own organic dressing.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic (I love fig balsamic)
2 tbsp maple syrup
Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Crushed garlic (optional)

Whisk dressing ingredients together or put in jar and simply shake up (it’s that easy!) Dress only the portion of salad you wish to eat and store remainder separately for up to 5 days (dressing will keep longer). Top with avocado and add some sliced almonds (toasted is nice) or pine nuts and enjoy

You can get more from Shivie here: www.thecookandbutler.com

And on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/timetoocuppy

1. Betoman says:

I eat quinoa occasionally, most often in the flakes form, either in a hot porridge with other gluten free ingredients or in GF pancakes. The last time I had the red variety, it caused some GI pain. Is the white variety less likely to trigger this type of reaction? I remember Kevin mentioning the red quinoa did the same thing to him.

2. afke says:

I eat quinoa for breakfast or as a salad. I do, however soak the quinoa overnight and rinse well before cooking. Breakfast quinoa is quite lovely with the addition of a handful of berries, and an apple plus cinnamon and a tsp of lemon juice and a tbsp of honey to take the bitter edge off this high protein gluten free seed.

I love edamame’s and will add these to a quinoa salad with green onions,celery, parsley and soaked goji berries (no red org. peppers available in Canada for a decent price this time a year)
    The dressings will include lemon or lime juice with a slosh of nut oil and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

3. I eat it all the time, and love it! I make something similar but more like a tabloueh (SP?). 🙂

4. IH says:

We eat quinoa quite often and as you probably can imagine I have several recipes and dressings. I really do like it with lime and a bit of lime zest. And if I don’t follow a recipe I just look in the fridge because it pretty much goes with any vegetable. Another good show Kevin. Thanks

5. naomi says:

i am going to make this today, thanks for sharing! but i’ll soak my quinoa to keep it raw…

6. Annette says:

Oh my perfect timing, I wanted to make a red quinoa salad of some kind to-nite,
    but didn’t take the time to find a recipe,
    and this one you shared sounds magificant…
    as I love all the veges that goes in it.
    So thank-you, to-morrow’s dinner is now confirmed,
    (even if the kids will squawk)! 🙂
    Until next time,
    Shine!
    Annette

7. Sonic says:

I haven’t read Kevin’s posts in quite a while, but this one caught my eye. Hmmmmm. Cooked quinoa and maple syrup. When did you give up on raw, Kevin?

8. elf says:

Quinoa with cucumbers makes a lovely summer salad. Haven’t had any since last summer. I think I’ll make it a spring salad as well. Happy first day of Spring tomorrow!

9. zyxomma says:

I eat quinoa often, but I rarely (if ever) cook it. Instead, I rinse and sprout it. It sprouts almost as fast as it cooks! I use sprouted quinoa to make tabouli and pilafs; it’s great.

10. Dana Naylor says:

Recipe looks awesome,similar to something I do on a regular basis other than the Olive Oil. Too much empty calories for me. I prefer to do a dressing with simply equal parts of Dijon mustard and Balsamic vinegar. I also love to add chopped Walnuts and sprouted lentils or mung beans.

11. Carol Taylor says:

I was eating quinoa but when I noticed it was 170 calories per 1/4 cup, I stopped eating it. However I recently bought Donna Gates book The Body Ecology Diet and she recommended eating quinoa, millet, amaranth, and buckwheat because these grains don’t feed the yeast in your body like rice does. I recently tried the quinoa flakes as a cereal for breakfast and I love it.

12. QC says:

I love cooked quinoa. I tried sprouted quinoa but did not like it. I usually put them in salad, but recently learned that you can put them in soups, lovely!

13. Diane says:

I eat Quinoa almost every day…usually with my vegetables (both cooked and raw) with dinner.

Sometimes it’s for lunch.

WE LOVE IT!

I don’t eat rice.

14. Velda says:

Love quinoa. I have never tried soaking it instead of cooking it. I’ll try that sometime. What I have read about quinoa is that most people believe it to be a grain, but it is actually a seed. It is reported as being very healthy, and I know it is very good. I have purchased the sprouted quinoa and absolutely love, love, love it. It is quite a bit more expensive than regulard quinoa, so I get the sprouted just once in awhile. Thank you for this, recipe, Kevin. It looks wonderful.

15. Charlie says:

Great recipe, can’t wait to try it! Thanks for what I’m sure is another phenomenal recipe by Shivie, as I have become a huge fan of her kale salad you guys showed us the last time they were on, that almond butter dressing is amazing- I just dip apples in it!

I’m a big fan of quinoa and have a staple recipe that has worked everytime for even the picky folks, here it is- for two-

1 C. quinoa soaked 15 mins,
    Cook it 15 mins, let it steam for 5 off heat(or sprout, up to you).

Sauce-(and it’s all in the sauce)- Put Coconut secrets’ aminos and vinegar in a pot, more aminos than vinegar along with coconut oil- just warm it up, very low heat. Add a touch of water.

Don’t have exact measurements for the sauce, but play with it, easy to fix as you taste. Making more is better than less so you don’t have a dry dish.

Pour sauce over quinoa, mix good, and if you are a spicy fan like I am, mix in some organic chipotle pepper powder, careful how much, it’ll sneak up on you in a hurry.

Add two cubed avocados and you’re good to go.

Very filling, creamy and spicy. Love it! 🙂

Also try cooked quinoa with pumpkin seed oil, spice, and avocado- supreme!

16. Kym says:

Looks really good. I’ll definitely be making it once it warms up here. I imagine it would also work well with amaranth, etc.

I’d be interested to know what type of rice cooker Shivie uses. The coating on my old one is gradually wearing off and I’ve read it contains similar chemicals to non-stick fry pans. Any recommendations about brands that are safe? Thanks!

17. I’ve been making a similar recipe for years now. One of the ways I love to eat quinoa and black beans.

18. Julie says:

Love Quinoa… Will definately try these recipes. Always looking for a new taste. Thanks!

19. Wendy says:

I eat quinoa several times a week. I usually make one recipe and since I live alone, eat it several times. Last week I added quinoa to a “whatever is in the refrigerator” soup. This week this salad recipe sounds great, but I will cut it down, maybe quarter it! Thanks Shivie and Kevin.

20. Scott says:

We eat quinoa several times a week, usually for dinner as a substitute for rice. Once in a while, I also enjoy quinoa flakes as a breakfast cereal topped with raisins. I tried it with cinnamon, but I did not like it.

I had a Quinoa Pilaf the other day from the deli at Whole Earth Center in Princeton, NJ. It sure was yummy!

21. Any Morning Smoothie Concoctions on the Way?

22. suzanne says:

I have been using a stainless steel rice cooker for years. Don’t see a brand name on mine, but I found it by googling. It was expensive, $100, but I use it constantly. Wouldn’t think of buying one with that teflon type coating.

23. Quinoa is not bitter. Rinse it thoroughly before soaking or cooking !! You have to wash off the saponins! This is probably what caused the tummy upsets too!

24. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks so much!

25. Louise says:

Can’t wait to make this recipe, it looks delicious. I eat quinoa about twice a week, always looking to to eat more of it. I really love the idea of mixing the white with black and red, I’ve only had white. I’m definitely going to share this recipes with others and I’ll be back to let you know how it comes out. Thanks so much for sharing!

26. Kym says:

Thanks for the tip, Suzanne. I’ll have to take a look. I agree about the stainless steel. I know it does leach to some degree but I mainly use a high-grade steel pot/pan and it still looks new after five years. Much cheaper over the long run as well.

27. Susan says:

I eat quinoa everyday–sometimes twice a day. Always do it for breakfast, usually the flaked cereal with a teaspoon of ghee or coconut oil, lots of cinnamon, a sprinkling of Lakanto, walnuts and a little nut milk. (This is my late morning breakfast after my green smoothie.) The quinoa is real comfort food for me. I eat it for dinner with veggies, but gasp, often cooked. (: If my day is 70% raw that works for me. All raw is way too yin for my system. Anyway, quinoa is the greatest in my book. And as far as soaking. If I understand correctly, you can soak and then cook to make it more digestible. Thanks for the recipe Kev.

28. LynnCS says:

I do love quinoa. Glad it is becoming more available. I have sprouted it and cooked it. Love the fluffiness of the cooked. I have done a lot of reading about raw vs. cooked and I don’t see anything about quinoa losing it’s wonderful properties when cooked. I feel good eating it. Great carbs like this is definitely not empty calories. This recipe is awsome. I am going to go a couple months without the nightshades so have to skip the delicious peppers. I’ll find plenty of options to give that color and taste. I have also been avoiding oils. I hope I can come up with a great dressing to substitute. Thanks Kevin for this great option. Lynn