Health Advocates of the Year 2011 : Best of Health 2011

Thursday Dec 29 | BY |

This special award goes to those who are making a massive difference in health, awareness and policy…

There are hundreds of people I could choose from, but these two stand out for us personally.

Tomorrow, I’ll have the most influential people of 2011 (this could be included in that category as well, I guess), but today, I wanted to focus specifically on advocates. People who are pushing for something they feel needs to change.

Let’s get going…

Your question of the day: Who is your top health advocate for 2011?

For those of you non-viewers…

Runner-Up Health Advocate of the Year 2011 – Pamm Larry (www.LabelGMOs.org)

Pamm essentially started the Label GMO initiative in California. Her mission was to get a bunch of people together to support the labeling of GMO foods that you buy in the supermarket… and it looks like it’s well on it’s way to working. There are still a lot of things that need to be done, and the initiative still needs to be approved, signatures need to be collected and then voted on, but the groundwork that Pamm has already done to make this happen is amazing.

I also want to recognize Jeffrey Smith, Dr. Bronners, Organic Consumers Association, Dr. Mercola and others who are are an essential part of this initiative as well. Pamm was the one who sparked the fire, these organizations and individuals made it hot!

Top-Dog Health Advocate of the Year 2011 – Mike Adams (www.NaturalNews.com)

You don’t need to believe everything Mike Adams writes or not, but one thing is for sure, he’s done a lot to bring about awareness of some of the most important issues that we deal with around health and consumer rights. Just this year alone, Mike has brought many issues to the forefront of the health discussion including GMOs, Adya Clarity and raw milk. His reach – through Natural News – has given many people a channel to voice their concerns about certain issues and allow them to be heard. This year, Mike certainly deserves this award specifically for his coverage on raw milk and Adya Clarity. It takes stones to speak up, Mike has them! LOL!

1. wendy green says:

you are my fav health advocate kevin. 🙂 mike is prolific, for sure, but for me, he posts lot’s of negative news.

so there!! #1 health advocate? KEVIN G! <3

2. Hubert says:

Yes, but by the way, how about Adya Clarity?
    I’m following Renegade Health (off course) and David Wolfe and Matt Monarch who all said they would follow up on it and do some more research.
    Is there some sort of conclusion? Or agreement on it? I still have a whole bottle that I don’t dare using anymore 🙂

3. Debbie says:

Yeah Mike Adams and the Gianni’s enough said (:

4. Ellen from Davis says:

Kevin,

I love your two picks, but I’d also include you and Annmarie – perhaps in a tie with Pamm!

I can’t wait to start gathering signatures for the Label GMO campaign. We’re getting the petitions printed out in the next couple weeks, and it’s going to be exciting to see how many people we can get on board – for transparency’s sake!

5. Mary Anne says:

I am interested in the cancer DVD set.
    Please advise brief summary of its contents and
    the claim that the contents can get rid of cancer .
    The AMA must not like this claim! Thank
    you

6. Vlad says:

Good video Kevin. These people do need to be recognize. Especially Mike Adams! What a difference the man makes in the world.

7. Annette says:

I agree with Wendy….you guys are great…Mike tends to be sensationalist and a bit negative at times.

I also agree with Hubert…I follow the same people’s info and am waiting for a conclusion to the Adya Clarity story. I too have half a bottle sitting in the cupboard!

Keep up the good work Kevin…..and continue to stay unbiased!! 😀

8. Simone says:

I agree Mika Adams shines the spotlight on issues the mainstream media doesn’t even consider and that is really really important. However, I cannot see how he calls his “stories news. News is meant to be OBJECTIVE giving both sides or all sides of the story. Mike’s stories are often commentary, injected with opinion and bias, even though it’s often a bias I agree with – it is still a bias and therefore it is not news. As a journalist myself, it distresses me that these “stories” are so often not balanced. When I want to give someone some information on, for example, why vaccines may be harmful, if I gave them a Mike Adams “news” story – they would laugh me out of the argument and say it had just been written by someone with their own agenda against vaccines. I can’t use it as a fair and balanced article that explores why some experts believe they could be harmful. I think his “news” website would be far more effective if there was less “Mike” in it.

9. sharon says:

I’m enjoying all of your “Best Of” picks. I noticed that I go directly to the printed page though, and not the video. I guess that is because it’s quicker to read than to watch the video. Thanks.

10. For me it’s Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo. She’s made a big difference in the Austin area and will continue to increase in influence as her resources reach more hands. I love the hands-on classes, the teleconferences, the radio blog, and her exuberance and dedication to seeing people heal and enjoy a healthy life to the fullest.

11. Ceci says:

Mike Adams deserves this recognition. I depend on his website for important info that can’t be found in the mainstream media. I appreciate all like him and you who bring info to light.

12. Susan says:

I can’t figure out if he is Chicken Little or a prophet (or well educated observer). I would trust some of his advice more if he didn’t stand to financially benefit from his purported predictions.

13. Rufino Baez says:

Mike Adams is great, he deserved. But to me the number one person who fight for people on evry issues and is the top health and nutrition and investigative repoter in America
    is Gary Null.

14. Betoman says:

I didn’t know Pamm Larry was the individual who was most instrumental in getting the label GMO initiative going in California, but if this is true, and I believe your assessment, then I would give her top recognition over Mike Adams. I follow Mike’s news as well and his coverage of the raw milk invasion fiasco was really good, but GMO’s are so much bigger than milk, which many in the raw/vegan… etc., community don’t consume anyway. If we can get GMO’s labeled, legitimately labeled, that will be HUGE! Think about it; corn, soy, potatoes… and so many others. Thanks for taking the time to do this at year end, it helps put events and influential thinkers and points of advocacy into perspective.
    Peace!

15. Chris Armstrong says:

do agree with your choice. Mr Adams does an amazing service, would have to say you are a close 2nd. to simon, when one is fighting slavery domination and extermination, there is no middle ground. the pattern of events that are taking place now on a global scale are very similar to what happened in Germany during the rise of Hitler.

16. Lorraine says:

I am new to all of this and I don’t know some of these people. I do go to their websites and check them out now though.
    I agree and think the best health advocate is Kevin G!! I have learned so much from your reports and interviews! You have brought so much information to me in such a short time!
    Thank you!

17. THERE IS NO DOUBT MOST OF ‘EM ARE RIGHT.
    Renegadehealth.com and Naturalnews.com are known to most of the health readers on the net I think. GMO activists are not popular except in their own areas.
    I think both your choices on two different planes. Not adjudgeable on the same podium.
    WHICH HEALTH ADVOCATE SPREADS INFORMATION WIDER AND FASTER? I wouldhave chosen NaturalNews.com
    2.WHICH H.ADV SHOWS MORE ACTIVISM, MOVING PLANS AND PROJECTS INTO NEARER REALITIES?
    Such persons are rare. Pamm’s
    http://www.LabelGMOs.org outshines others perhaps.
    Thats my Humble opinion.
    D.PARAMESWARAN

18. Christi says:

I like Natural News, but like Kevin and others, I don’t know if I can believe everything on there.

Kevin, I think you are awesome and are deserving of this award. I appreciate all of the research, articles, interviews you do. When I’m on your site I definitely feel I can trust the information I find here. But I do wish you would do videos more often!

19. Samantha says:

Thanks you so much for this, Kevin….you are ssooo right~ in terms of raw advocacy, Mike Adams is the One. He is so bold and courageous~ ya just can’t help but admire the **STONES** on the guy, seriously! I stumbled upon “The Great Health Debates,” last year, which inspired me to complete my certification at the “Institute of Integrative Nutrition” (which is, like, a yyeaarrr long “Great Health Debate”-Mike Adams, included!). I think you, Kevin & AnneMarie, deserve the best “Connector” Award. I don’t think you could possibly even fathom the ripples you create and the connections you open up. I,for one, just want to thank you so very much! Bravo to you both and here’s to the Happiest of Happy New Years!!

20. Frank Berg says:

I don’t know who should be given top billing. Mike Adams stirs up a lot of dust and scatters a lot of leaves blown in the wind. He walks away and others have to clean up behind him. I feel he created the wind storm. If he is a good researcher then lets see him clean up after himself. Don’t leave it so blame can be put on people like David Wolfe, Matt Monarch and Kevin for not following-up and cleaning up the mess he left with his words. Why should it become their job to clear this all up. Who will repair the damage done to the reputation of those he named? How will they get the tarnish off of themselves put into the minds of his readers? Was Mike Adam really trying to move good health longevity and alternative health care forward? Who’s side is he on anyway? These people have their own business to run and I think they do very well. Anybody can stir up a dust storm. Any body can throw a bag of feathers to the wind. It’s hard to gather them all back into the bag later. Who is he serving by what he did? I feel he is not well researched and poorly informed. He throws in his biased commentary which upsets the balance for many people. I get a very bad taste from his information. He could have done a lot of good but it seems he only did enough research to feed his ego then went out of control. This may be harsh, but my impression from what he did with Adya Clarity is that he came across as a power hungry bully. He drew a lot of people to his point of view by throwing out insinuations and thoughts of wrong doing without real proof. I thought he became judge and jury of those people he thought were involved. There was no love or compassion. He may have done a lot of damage to the overall picture of alternative health care that we all hold dearly. Mike Adams is off my list of people to go to for good advice.

21. Terri says:

I certainly agree with your runner up advocates. I hadn’t realized Pamm Larry started the whole GMO-label thing going in CA, but have been a huge fan of Jeffrey Smith, Dr. Mercola, Bronners and OCA for years.

Mike Adams, not so much, and for the reasons already mentioned by others. It’s a shame, because he does have some very important information health-wise, but more and more, it is so intertwined with sensationalist fear-mongering and bias bordering on conspiracy-theorism I, like Simone, could never refer anyone to his good information because the rest taints his credibility.

The Giannis take my first spot. You are open, honest, give all points of view, give a variety to examples and respect your readers enough to allow us to make the decisions we alone can make for our own bodies.

You guys are the best!!

22. Iain says:

Wow! Reading the lengthy criticism of Mike Adams seems a lot like the accusations being made! As it states (and I quote word for word)but direct them to the author “Anybody can stir up a dust storm. Any body can throw a bag of feathers to the wind. It’s hard to gather them all back into the bag later. Who is he serving by what he did? I feel he is not well researched and poorly informed. He throws in his biased commentary which upsets the balance for many people. I get a very bad taste from his information. He could have done a lot of good but it seems he only did enough research to feed his ego then went out of control.”
    I agree with Kevin that Mike deserves an award. By running his naturalnews.com and by writing the things that he does he dramatically increasing awareness of what is happening and he is taking the risk of retribution for the “authorities” that few others are prepared to.
    I, for one, am really grateful for his work.

23. sue says:

@hubert @annette
    Matt Monarch, in a video from the Rawfoodworld list has recalled Adya Clarity.
    sue

24. ben says:

If the smoke has settled, I’m also interested in the truth about Adya Clarity

25. Teresa says:

Hey Kevin, I think YOU should be named Health Advocate of The Year 2011. You and Ann-Marie (I hope I spelled it right:) are the ONLY two who stayed true to yourselves.

26. raymond says:

dr.otto warberg,karl loren and rudouplh virchow and ed mccabe these are your unsung heroes.research these people and understand what ive learned.”disease or cancer cant live in the body when you oxygenate your body to the levels it should be”.

27. maca says:

I’v never hear of Pamm Larry but I’ll certainly check her put. Living in Asia seems to mean I’m getting out of touch with health news from the USA/UK.

28. Lori says:

Pamm Larry deserves billing as The Health Advocate of the Year, not just as a runner-up. Her actions to get GMO’s labelled in the state of California should not be underestimated. Think of its far-reaching implications.

Mike’s Natural News is fun to read, but not trustworthy for getting hard core facts. His reporting is much too emotional and biased. I suppose he deserves to be on a top ten list somewhere, nevertheless.