Best Health Bloggers of 2011 (Not who you might think…) : Best of Health 2011

Wednesday Dec 28 | BY |

As a blogger, writer and researcher, I’m thrilled to present this “Best of Health 2011″…

Why?

Because I know how hard it is be a blogger, LOL!

You always have to come up with content that will provide value to your readers and viewers, you have to keep up with trends (and get on them or get people off of them if they’re harmful), you have to have a thick skin, and you have to figure out a way to financially support your “habit” of sharing – so you can, of course, continue to do it.

It’s a recipe that many can’t figure out, but when they do, it usually works out pretty good for everyone involved (the reader in particular!)

So today, I have two health bloggers that I’d like to recognize. (They’re entirely different in content as well, so you might be very surprised…)

Your question of the day: Who is your favorite blogger?

For those of you non-watchers…

Last year’s champs were Sean Croxton and Kris Carr (two opposite ends of the spectrum) and they still are great bloggers.

This year, we have two more that are at opposite ends of the diet debate (they actually were paired AGAINST each other during the Great Health Debate!) The reason why is because I like to consider all options. I think it’s the best way to go. Learning from all sides gives you a very well rounded approach that in the long run might actually save your life.

So here we go…

Runner-Up Best Health Blogger for 2011: Mark Sisson (www.MarksDailyApple.com)

While I don’t agree with everything he says, I appreciate his commitment to his readers by providing great health content on a regular basis. I also like his writing style which is fun, smart and thoughtful.

Top-Dog Best Health Blogger for 2011: Frederic Patenaude (www.FredericPatenaude.com)

I have to disclose that Fred is a friend of mine, but I don’t think that you’ll mind if you spend a lot of time over at his site. Again, I don’t agree with everything he writes, but I love his long in-depth articles (sometimes I’m a little jealous of them because they’re so thoughtful and detailed!) Fred clearly cares about his readers and he does a great job at connecting with us and mixing in his own personal experiences with relevant scientific information on health.

Great job guys!

1. maca says:

Wouldn’t have been my choice. But that’s what makes life great – we’re all so different. My choice would have been that Kevin Gianni guy. LOL.

2. Health and Medicine are two top confusing subjects very easily misleading and no two persons in the area, would ever agree on same points. Thats why Health has failed for many.
    Again what is a blog? I may be wrong. I understood it as something like your very own. You give us a message and we write our op and that is blogging. OR is this a forum ?
    Many understand it as a blog of one’s own opinions with out calling for other’s ops.
    Is yours a website or a blog or a forum ?
    A true website is all. And then who is a blogger.One who has a blogsite or own website like me(a humble one, http://www.sunflowerdance.com, own design- not much expenses !)how is he called.
    WHATEVER IT is, wonderful to have your advice on two blogs. I will give links to them everywhere I blog in.
    D.Parameswaran,

3. Sarah says:

Yeah, I kinda like that Kevin Gianni guy as well…..Sorry he wasn’t chosen here..I don’t know Frederic Patenaude, but will now check out his blog. I agree with Marks Daily Apple. I love his blog. The longer I live on this planet, The more I think that having an open mind about things is really the best way to go. I am more and more disenchanted with the “one size fits all” way of thinking when it comes to food choices. O.K., O.K., as a nutritionist, I still have a hard time embracing the Twinkie Diet, but hey, apparently some people have done well on that too. Go figure. But what drew me to your site, Kevin, was your willingness to be open minded and consider all the possibilities. You don’t seem to have an agenda and that is a good thing in my opinion. And who would not want to watch Annmarie do a food video? So again, I would have nominated Kevin Gianni’s blog as the winner.

4. Linda says:

My favorite is Heather Nauta at http://www.healthyeatingstartshere.com

5. Angela says:

Zen Habits: Leo Babauta

6. Tom Reynolds says:

I personally would have added Steve Prussack’s Raw Vegan Radio. I have been listening to his interviews over the past two years and reading his blog. I think he provides a great platform for raw food and conscious living experts. I even heard Kevin Gianni on his show a couple of times!

7. hyesun says:

yes, i agree with everything sarah said (#2). kevin, you are the only blogger that i read/listen to regularly. you are open minded, intelligent, a great interviewer, and more. i’ve often started off reading people’s blogs but then stopped because it seemed that they felt like it was their way or the highway. you aren’t like that, and that’s what i really like about you. actually, patrick timpone is someone else like you, very open minded, and i love his interviews, because he has so many different kinds of people on his radio show. it’s not really a blog though. anyway, yay kevin and ann marie!!!! 🙂

8. Anne says:

The blogs and videos I check out regularly:

1- Renegade Health
    2-Dr Mercola
    3-Mark Sisson
    4-Donna Gates
    5-David Wolfe
    6-Shawn Stevenson
    7- Jonny Bowden
    8- David Kekich

I have others but it’s hard to keep up with all this already.

9. Satori says:

Totally agree with you about Frederic Patenaude. Every writing he does is like A+++ perfect. I wonder how many drafts he writes before he posts an article. If less than 3 then, he must be God. A writing God that is.

I like Eco-Vegan gal for being so cute;D

10. Rainier says:

I agree with what Sarah and Hyesun said. Your blog is the only one I read regularly and I have learned so much from you. BTW, you and Annmarie are so cute together. I can’t help but smiling when watching today’s video.

11. Faye says:

Kevin’s blog is the only one I read on a daily basis, but I also enjoy reading Ron Teeguarden’s (from Dragon Herbs), since I am really into Chinese Herbalism!

12. wendy says:

My top three, in order, are Mark’s Daily Apple, Renegade Health, and Natural News. All three of you deserve awards for the in-depth research you bring to all your readers…Thank you so very much!

13. Palo0aky says:

im on marks newsletter and yeah he is givin a lot nice infromation. i also dont agreee whith all he says. also i loved some of frederic blog post some has had a quiete nice wave of opinions and coments afterwards.

14. Lovefruity says:

Dan mc donald. has with his videos his own style. i got to love his videos on the end of this year. also i love daras videos on youtube.

and megan elisabeth doing some loveful videos on youtube. on video bloging its defintly different than on normal blogs.

the last video of megan elisabeth and josh spoofing superfoods is great.
    whatever im not with all their opinion still tis a wonderfull video.

take care.

I also found alsears md newsletter interesiting he makes some nice travels beside he sells producti would never buy. still some of hisreports are nice cause he makes travels to other countries.

Durian riders you tube got more grown up this year. hope ic could help him with that. he got some loveful informative videos this year. his number increased. he is more takedn serious by alot of people. he is still ranting also he has to share a lot of knowledge. still he dislikesupplement mekretin and buisness goo goo.

15. Oleander says:

My favourite is Jon Barron’s fortnightly news letter. This is because it is very scientific and in depth. I also enjoy Kevin’s daily blog, which is fun and informative,

Although these two sites are professional and of necessity, commercial, there is an aubundance of freely provided information.- without pressure and obligation to purchase! So thank you!

16. Wendy says:

Cookus Interruptus
    Renegade Health
    Mercola
    Wolfe
    Life is Art is Life

17. Cindy says:

My favorite bloggers are:

Renegade Health (miss the videos)
    Natural News
    Matt Stone (180degreehealth.com)
    Jonny Bowden

18. Lori says:

Renegade Health, Mercola, Marks Daily Apple, Robb Wolf.

19. Em :) says:

You guys are cute 🙂

20. Yamina says:

You of course ! Because we can express freely, in an easy environment, clear, practical, because you are friendly, really cute both of you, I agree, always having some interesting info like here with all those names that I ignored, your receipes don’t look like magazine’s receipes but like what we all make at home… etc.
    The hat is smart, but I think that if closed, it would resemble a baby’s hat.
    I think too that it would have been very, very interesting to tell the points you disagree with Frederic Patenaude whose blog I read regularly (mais il ne faut pas rêver… )as well as :

30BaDay
    Andrew Perlot
    Swayze Foster

I’ll check all those mentioned above in the comments and subscribed and… will put firstly on my new year resolutions’ list to limit my web time !

21. Lotte A. de Roy says:

The top two are Natural News and Renegade Health.

Have learned a lot and also it taught me to
    stay healthy. My dad loved the two of you and
    also tried to remain healthy but at the end
    he lost the battle.

Thank you.

22. Renegade Health and Mike Adams Natural News is a good mix for me.
    I think it is important to keep an open mind to the content and to find out what works for you. An Eskimo would not fare well on a vegetarian diet and a Vegetarian would not fare well on an Eskimo diet.

It really comes down to where you live ? What your forefathers ate?

Your genetic constitution? Are you lactose and gluten intolerant ?

The diet that your family fed you? Peer pressure and food media advertising?
    How you combine your foods?
    Your Nutritional body Type? Is your physical body type Ectomorph? or is it Mesomorph in your skeletal structural make up? Or are you built like an Endomorph ?

And then how efficient or inefficient is your metabolism in processing nutrition? And burning calories?

Lots to consider and to think about here.

One diet never fits all and it really comes down to the above listed factors that determines and individuals correct way of eating with correct life style to match.

Like you said kevin you do not agree to everything you read and I am the same way. I personally like to keep things simple.

My recommendation? Eat a whole food plant based diet in the local area that you live in for optimal good health.

Forget about all the overhyped synthetic supplements on the market !
    If you want to support your immunity and health just make a serious connection with Nature, boycott processed foods and your supplements will be given to you through nature only such as whole food green super foods unadulterated. Weeds Yes Weeds in your garden are super packed with nutrition, heck I pick my super green salad every day for my juicing ,smoothies, and dressings.

We all need blogs like Renegade health and Natural News to help the uninformed public to see the light, to save what ever can be saved from all their Non Food distractions.

Hope this helps?

Barry Gourmet & Raw

23. Lovefruity says:

Since Mike Adams uses infowaras resourcewhich is known as being partlrascistic and antisemitic im a bit cautious on his natural news and his statements he makes up. ITs a bit populism style he does. **

Ver funny was the blog post of Roger Haeske on 9 11 an when i told him this is latent antisemitic and he said he him self is jewish. Whatever. I not like this talking.

I loved fredrics post and also love some of marks post and views. i would never buy his supplements.

And i dont feel safe on the paleocrew around mark. not everyone is as clear as mark. and on paleo hacks talking in biochemistry is more and fashion than realya skill. populism is very famous in the health world.

24. Rocio says:

It will be hard to go to sleep tonight with all this complements but it is true, Kevin and Ann. I do listen and read a lot but I do feel the most comfortable in your site, and Dr. Mercola’s. I think there is still some room here for people like me( Jesus’ Freaks) I just had some blood work and I have been trying to raise my protein levels, cholesterol and trigs. fix my hormones- thyroid, etc so I have been eating animal protein, I don’t digest it very well even though I do take digestive enzymes, HCL etc.. and they do make me feel tired..and after a year of all this, my proteins are still low, I have put on some weight (also eating nuts..not anymore) I am left with some fungus I believe from the nuts and seeds even though I try to buy the most raw, ect..anyway..MY q? to you Kevin. Besides spirulina, and nuts; what other forms of proteins can I use in more raw world? I don’t want to do all the nuts, seeds and sweets some raw foodist use because of the Candida situation I am in and I don’ eat any sugar/sweets anyway..the only sweetsI am eating now are Goji Berries.Thank you. Happy New year to all.

25. Mr. Sisson most certainly has a unique, enjoyable writing style. It’s too bad he just tells people good things about their bad habits to push supplement sales! 🙁

Frederic on the other hand is an excellent guy and I thoroughly enjoy his incredible articles.

Go Fred! 😀

26. Grace says:

Hey Kevin,
    I would also like to know (as Yamina wrote above), where you differ from Frederick Patenaude. I like his blog, along with yours and Andrew Perlot, 30 Bananas, Dr. Doug Graham.

27. Carrie says:

Huh, interesting choices. Though I’m not a fan of Sean and am a fan of Frederic (his blog articles are awesome and very thoughtful), I think both are great bloggers in their “genres” and speak genuinely and thoughtfully. A nice surprise 🙂

28. Marilyn Chin says:

I watched documentaries like “Food Matters” and “Forks Over Knives” in September, and I attended the S.F. Vegetarian Society weekend festival in October. Boy, did my eyes and mind open up. It was fortuitous timing because I began googling and found Kevin presenting the Healing Cancer Summit series which were fabulous and further opened my eyes to the disconnectedness of our health care system. There is plenty of free information, but any fees I spend for proprietary information to keep me informed is miniscule compared to the millions of dollars paid to Big Pharma and health care by innocent people who place blind faith in the for-profit, corporate western medical model. I look forward to exploring the other blogs. Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie.

29. Anna says:

Like Mercola, pHMiracleLiving.com, Gerson Institute, Juicing-for-health.com and, of course, Renegade Health.

30. I’m going to check Fred out thanks.

Matt Lovell who is based in the UK looks a lot at health issues, he has a focus on sports nutrition and performance as well as health.

Gavin

31. Stephania says:

“daily” blogs read (well, more-or-less daily LOL):

1. RENEGADE HEALTH–in-depth yet short, humourous, down-to-earth & applicable to daily life, great content, suuuuuper guests/links of allll types, and all in all FUN

2. DAILY WORTH—short and sweet and manageable

peace

32. marc says:

For me it’s all about validation (so many people blog, but can’t really back it up with credible research).. I like:

1) precision nutrition (dr. John berardi).. this guy is all about real results, and is not afraid to use himself as the test subject.

2) Dr. Mercola.. his guest interviews are some of the best ever!! Heavy hitters in their respective fields.

3) One Radio Network (patrick timpone)… very non biased, patrick is the best interviewer around. Sincere and very open minded. Not many bloggers/sites will do an interview with raw vegans, and then follow it up with aajanous volnderplanitz. Patrick gives you different looks at the subject matter.

4)Natural News… I may not agree with all the things Mike Adams puts out there, but his stuff, for the most part, is informative.

5) KT radio network… some people love kevin trudeau, some hate him.. truthfully, this guy puts out some really informative stuff as well.

33. Cynthia says:

I think it maybe be because of Fred’s blog/info that I follow the Giannis!

I sometimes read Dr. Rita Loscalzo because she does a lot of stuff directed to women’s health specifically and does a nice (quasi?)scientific explanation of things like thyroid disorder and leaky gut syndrome. I’m a multi-blogger myself so I dip in here or there and I have so many blogs because I have given myself permission to have a lot of different interests and points of view but I find that raw veganism is a great base for blogs on gluten-free living and grandparenting and my current fave blog that is mainly aimed at people who are wanting to overcome depression in a more natural way http://life-style-matters.blogspot.com

Thanks for all you do in the health-blogging community and best in 2012!

~Cynthia

34. Morgan Wellinger says:

I’m not surprised that Frederic and Mark were chosen. I frequently visit their websites and find that they are very informative and accurate, as well as interactive with their viewers. To health!

35. Faye says:

I love one radio network basically because of all the interviews. I will check out the two winners even though I don’t support the Paleo diet personally. I don’t think health matters is that confusing when trying to decide which route to take. Just look at places around the world where people live the longest & it’s always places where people eat very little meat, hands down. When I hear people say they know vegans that appear unhealthy or they tried it & they lost too much weight, etc. it’s usually because they have restricted their food to a limited amount of veggies, fruits, or haven’t put it all together yet. It takes a while but I think now is a good time with sprouting, fermenting, creating your own Garden of Eden.

36. LuAnn says:

My Favorites are:
    1. Renegade Health (no surprise there)
    2. HACRES.com Hallelujah Acres and Rev. Malcmus saved my life!
    I also enjoy many others such as John Kohler’s GrowingYourGreens.com and many more : )

37. Pratik says:

Onwards Kevin. 1 BIG PEEVE with all health-experts: Unless their advisories make sense MICROVITICALLY…

…their well-intentioned well-researched nutritional dictums do not do as much good as is nutritionally possible.

While helping in some ways, MANY of them actually HARM, by leaving lots of holes unplugged.

Nothing less than a personalized full-fledged microvitically sensible SYSTEM would do.

38. nick says:

I have really enjoyed your interviews kevin well done, but to promote mark sisson and his diet knowing what we know about modern health and the state of the planet is crazy to say the least.

39. Denise Davies says:

This is a follow up on Rocio’s comments. I spent 3 1/2 months on a strict anti-candida regime and it worked for me! I can let you know the protocol. I too have absorbtion probs so take Digestive Enzymes. Now to the subject in hand – I am new to these sites but do enjoy the open minded, down to earth and informative Renegade Health, Thank you Kevin.

40. Joan says:

My favorites have all been listed too:

Kevin & AnnMarie, Mike Adams, Hallelujah Acres and Frederic P. I also like Dr. Rita Marie and Nomi S. but have limited time to follow very many people…keep up the good work, very good!

41. Cassie Rhea says:

I vote for Kevin Gianni! You and Annmarie are awesome! Thank you for your commitment to the health of humanity! Best wishes for a magical 2012!