Renegade Health Names Best Health Related Non-Profit of 2011 : Best of Health 2011

Friday Dec 23 | BY |

best of health 2011
This was one of best places we visited in 2010, so it doesn’t really apply to health, nor 2011, but I wanted to show it to you because it was awesome! (Telluride, CO)

I filmed today’s episode 3 times only to realize that each time the camera froze and I lost everything that I said…

I’m not going to risk filming it again, and I’m definitely not going to leave the house and head off to Best Buy to get a new camera any time in the next 2 days!

So, for this edition of the Best of Health 2011, I’m just going to write it out for you (which many of you probably prefer anyway.)

Today’s category for Best of Health Related Non-Profits is an important one, because there are a lot of great organizations out there that need to be recognized for the work they’re doing to help change the lives (and health) of people in their communities or around the world.

Like any of these “Best Of” categories, we could have picked over 2 dozen great non-profits. The two we picked are two that we’ve been in contact with at some level and respect what they do deeply.

Let’s get into it…

Runner Up – Best Health Related Non-Profit of 2011: Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org)

We’ve had an opportunity to see the EWG in action because we own a natural skin care line – Annmarie Gianni Skin Care.

The EWG created the Skin Deep cosmetic database to identify good and not-so-good skin care products. The database is a great place to get started when you’re looking to see if the products you use contain any harmful ingredients and are completely or relatively safe to use.

But this isn’t the only thing the EWG does…

Their mission is to help protect you from toxic exposure and they do so by testing products and funding research around toxicity on the planet.

All 10 of the experts during the Healing Cancer World Summit talked about the importance of removing toxins from the body when dealing with disease, so this tells you just how necessary it is to have a group like the EWG on our side.

So for 2011, the Environmental Working Group gets our vote!

NOTE: Some of you may be wondering why Annmarie’s products aren’t on the EWG Skin Deep site. When we attempted to list them maybe a year ago they were reworking their processes and weren’t accepting new listings. They now are and we’ve contacted them for review. Hopefully, we’ll be there soon!

Top-Dog – Best Health Related Non-Profit of 2011: The Institute for Responsible Technology (Jeffrey Smith – www.responsibletechnology.org)

If there’s anyone who I’d bet on to make a difference in the world, it’s Jeffrey Smith.

His work to show the dangers of GMO foods will change the landscape of our food system for decades to come.

I’ve had the opportunity to meet him, interview him and take a training and I’m convinced that this organization can truly make a difference.

What I also like about Jeffrey is that he’s passionate, but he’s also level-headed. Sometimes blind passion when you’re working in public policy can hinder your mission more than help it.

To get an introduction to Jeffrey and the work of his organization, the best place to start is his book “Seeds of Deception.” This outlines everything you do and don’t want to know about GMO foods and why we shouldn’t be eating them.

So to wrap up today’s Best Of, I want to say congratulations to both the EWG and IRT, but also to all the other organizations that are doing massive good. The Gerson Institute and AyniGlobal are two others that we support through our work and we appreciate them as well.

Your question of the day: What non-profits do you support and feel deserve to be recognized?

1. I’m not so sure you had the correct domain listed…. it went to a “this domain is for sale” website with Adsense.

2. Marlene says:

the website for The Institute for Responsible Technology is .org instead of .com

3. Randyl Rupar says:

Aloha,
    The Sanctuary of Mana Ke`a Gardens serves as a vehicle of Health, Wellness & Sustainable Conscious Lifestyle Choices here on The Big Island of Hawai`i. Our vision is one of integrating People, Planet, Profit and Interconnected Wholeness.
    We emphasize the Wisdom of Nature into our Philosophy of Oneness.
    Our annual FREE community Avocado, Mango and Kava Festivals grow each year and offers educational, sustainable and joyous experiences for the entire family.
    These events are only available here on the Big Island of Hawai`i and if you truly want to witness the beauty of Paradise we invite you to join us.
    Mahalo

4. EWG is awesome, even JUST for their Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen list. This is critical info, especially for veggies and vegans, and they are getting the word out there. Many people cannot afford to buy all organic fruits and veggies and knowing where your dollar counts the most is fantastic info. Thanks EWG!

5. Ellen from Davis says:

Kevin,

I agree about both of your selections; kudos to both of them for such excellent work!

I’ll be gathering signatures from January to April for the Label GMOs Campaign, and hope to obtain a ton of them…luckily, in Davis I’m surrounded by a lot of tuned-in folks who are eager to address critical food system issues such as this.

Happy Holidays!

Ellen

6. Gini says:

The website is .org instead of .com

7. nilsholgerson says:

activist trauma support groups everywhere are great…mmh

8. Drew says:

the website address for jeffrey Smith’s organization ends with an .org rather than a .com.

9. Chris Armstrong says:

all of the sites listed are full of important information, we must have viable information to make viable decisions. Dr. Blaylock has written several books on nureotoxins, a colabiration between IRT and Dr Blaylock would be intreging and informative.

10. Cindy says:

check out CACE – the Centre for Advancement in Cancer Education at http://www.beatcancer.org.
    They are a\ non-profit centre that supports cancer patients with nutritional advice, techniques for living well while undergoing treatment, and prevention of recurrence. Our theerapy centre, Turtle Island, is the first Canadian centre to be ceertified as a Beat Cancer Support Centre. Although our website is being rebuilt, we do have a site, http://www.turtleislandmj.com

11. I WANTED CRISP AND CLEAR THINKING, ANALYSIS, AND ACTUAL FACTS TO APPLY IN LIFE TO CURE DISEASES. And I got such information successfully, truly in the following sites, during the year 2011 and before:-
    Because of these free delivery sites for useful facts, NATUROPATHY HAS BEEN RECOGNISED BY PEOPLE AND HAS GROWN THIS YEAR. In my camps, I get minimum urban poor of about 25 person, and they accept my advice for food changes. These sites helped me cure cancer,liver inflammation.
    What I miss in these sites, do not like in these sites: Nothing!
    I am at home with them as many are.
    GOD BLESS THESE HANDFUL OF PEOPLE AND YOU,KEVIN AND ANNMARIE.
    LET YOUR AURA GROW LIKE BUDDHA’S ENCOMPASSING A LARGER TERRITORY,
    WITH LOVE AND COMPASSION.
    Many who have lost their loved ones to cancer, have not done what you have done in honour of the dying…..CANCER SUMMIT!!
    WE OWE OUR DUTIES TO OUR LOVED ONES!
    D.PARAMESWARAN,Naturopath,Propagandist,Yoga,MeditationMaster,Healer
    India

12. zyxomma says:

Great choices! I support both. I also support Riverkeeper, Natural Resources Defense Council, Oceana, Coal River Mountain Wind, Alaska Wild, Earthjustice, Organic Consumers Association, and others too numerous to list. (I’d be here for hours.)

Health and peace.

13. I know there are so many thanks for all your work check out http://jdimlm.com/miracles for health adult stem cell nutrition, God Bless

14. Nicole says:

Not A response…but… Kevin & Annmarie
    MERRY CHRISTMAS & HEALTHY & HAPPY NEW Year

15. Anne says:

Great choices! I just want to mention my preference for videos. I understand today there are some problems with your camera so that’s not about today but generally I find it much easier to put a video on for 10 minutes than read something myself, especially if it’s everyday. I find it hard as it is to get to all the info I have in my inbox and whatever is easier gets watched or read first. Just thought I’d mention it because you said that we probably would prefer written comments rather than video and i just wanted to give my 2c worth on that.

Merry Xmas from Australia

16. Kuru says:

Please get your camera unfrozen. We like videos! And your choices of the day too.

17. Malvin says:

No, I prefer videos. Please Santa – bring Kevin new camera!

18. Satori says:

Santa said “Kevin you’re working too much. No more videossss!!!” haha.

LabelGMOs.com? Does this organization count?

I really like The Institute for Responsible Technology. I would love to live to see Jeffrey Smith wining a Nobel Peace Prize. He really is making the world a better place. I don’t recommend any of his books while you’re taking a bath though. They’re not relaxing readings lol!

19. maca says:

I wish there was a similar standard of companies in Thailand. You’re spoilt for choice over there.

20. Mary says:

Thank you for this crucial information.
    I marvel at the great impact that your path to health has made for so many.
    Thanks for the text, I am not a big fan of video only options for research info or most news, too slow.
    I like to visually scan text rapidly.

21. Gail says:

I am impressed with Mannatech’s “Give for Real” program which uses an organic hydroponic process to create a food supplement with standardised minerals, vitamins and more. For each automatic order to the company, an at risk child will receive one month’s supply of real nutrition. This way ordinary people get to make a difference!

22. Denise Davies says:

Dear Kevin and Annmarie,
    I would like to thank you for the work you do, spreading messages of Inspiritation and sharing so many Health Issues. I am learning Energy Modalities through Living Energy Secrets (Debra Thompson)who I found to be a wonderful, Inspirational Host, so would recommend them. Of course you introduced the wonderful World Healing Cancer Summit through them. LOTS OF LOVE, HEALING AND WORLD COMMUNITY SPIRIT. Namaste Denise a Yoga and Chi Gung Teacher in Cyprus