Simple, Perfect Pesto : A Raw Food Recipe by Dr. Gabriel Cousens

Saturday Oct 22 | BY |

Dr-Gabriel-Cousens-Perfect-Pesto
Perfect Pesto: A recipe by Dr. Gabriel Cousens, one of the leading live-food medical experts in the world, from his book ‘Conscious Eating.’

Perfect Pesto – A Raw Recipe from Gabriel Cousens, M.D.

Following is a low-glycemic, live-food recipe by Dr. Gabriel Cousens, featured in his book Conscious Eating. This delicious recipe is great for everyone – even those who do not have any blood-sugar related health challenges!

Advanced prep time: Walnut soaking time, 2 to 8 hours or overnight
Prep time: 10 minutes

Serves: 1-2

Note: The raw pesto is great to use on vegetable slices such as cucumber, zucchini, daikon and jicama. Another delightful approach is to fill a red bell pepper with pesto and add sprouts.

1 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked
1 cup sweet basil
1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked
3 large cloves garlic or 1/2 tsp sun-dried garlic

Homogenize all of the ingredients together in a Champion Juicer with blank plate, or in a food processor with the S-blade.

Dr. Gabriel Cousens

Dr. Gabriel Cousens

Gabriel Cousens is the author of seven internationally acclaimed books, including Spiritual Nutrition and Creating Peace by Being Peace. Known worldwide as a spiritual teacher and the leading expert in live, plant-source nutrition, Dr. Cousens functions as a holistic physician, psychiatrist, family therapist, and cutting edge researcher on healing diabetes naturally.

He holds an M.D. from Columbia Medical School, a doctorate in homeopathy, and diplomas in Ayurveda, clinical acupuncture, and holistic medicine. His multi-cultural background as an ordained rabbi, an acknowledged yogi, and a four-year Native American sundancer, adds insight to his “whole-person enlightenment” teachings.

Dr. Cousens is the founder and director of the Tree of Life Foundation and the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center, an innovative holistic retreat center for the renewal of body, mind, and spirit, based in Patagonia, Arizona. In his book, There Is A Cure For Diabetes, Dr. Cousens presents his rejuvenation center’s program for reversing diabetes naturally.

1. DK says:

no oil???
    lemon juice is a great bonus to pesto i think

2. LynnCS says:

All that floating oil comes from only those few ingredients. Hmmm. Really shows me why so many people advise against added oils in the Raw Food diet. I don’t have a champion juicer, but this really taught me a lot about how much fats are in these items. Not saying good or bad, but just interesting. It is really necessary for me to learn exactly what I am getting from everything I eat. I have discovered 2 fruits that trigger heart palpitations in me. I wouldn’t be able to do that on the SAD diet and I am so grateful to all of you who give of your knowledge to inform us. Thanks, Lynn

3. Ryan says:

Oils aren’t good for your digestion, you know. If possible it’s best to avoid them.

4. JD says:

@Lynn @Ryan
    Don’t believe everything you see.

It’s most likely, that that photo is a stock photo that was found online in one of the many photo resources. I would be extremely surprised if it were an actual photo of THAT recipe. So don’t worry! That is probably olive oil you see.

5. Anna says:

Looks yummy. I love pesto & am always looking for pesto recipes. For all the doom & gloomers out there, nuts & oils are fine in moderation.

6. Kim says:

Wow. That’s a lot of nuts! I also make a vegan pesto but with just a handful of pine nuts, no walnuts, a squeeze or two of lemon juice, and a spoonful of white miso thinned with water. The miso gives the pesto a nice taste and you don’t even miss the cheese. Pesto is my absolute favorite food. Nutritional yeast is also good sprinkled on top of the pesto if you’re eating it on pasta. Broccoli and sauteed shiitake mushrooms make it even better! I think basil has an addictive quality to it…

7. Mango says:

This is great stuff, keep it coming. Thanks.

8. Ry says:

Re: Annmarie and Denise Mardi at Organic Avenue

Annmarie, you need to prepare for those golden opportunities to present your product with gusto! You need to give the women a reason to buy your product. Suggestions:

1) Pull hair back and exhibit that complexion. Massage some onto back of hand, then caress across face. This mentally transfers skin product to face, which, in turn, says this is why my complexion so magnificent.

2) Name a couple of the nasty ingredients in those “other” products, and explain how they harm the skin.

3) Then name a couple of your pure organic ingredients, and explain how they benefit the skin.

9. jackie says:

I love pesto! Thanks!

10. Minal says:

I made pesto the other day with dandelion greens and Basil (3:1 ratio). It had a very slight bitter taste but tasted great on shredded cabbage. But I am going to try soaking my nuts next time. Thank you for the recipe.

11. Kadee says:

I love basil!!!

What do you think of the Eat Right For Your Blood Type Diet by Peter D’adamo? I love pesto but according to that I should not eat pine nuts or most nuts. Not sure about walnuts but I am not normally a fan of them. I use a lot of pine nuts though.

12. Nadia Harper says:

I love pesto recipes.

Here is the one that I usually use;

Just yesterday I wanted pesto but didn’t have basil or pine nuts on hand so I used cilantro and hemp seeds instead.

I am eating the leftovers right now and it is delicious!!

13. Velda says:

Question – I grow basil so can use fresh basil – you specifically said SWEET basil. The question is, are there different kinds of basil? I have only heard of basil – no variations. Thanks,

14. Nadia Harper says:

Velda,
    There are many many kinds of basil. Some are more mild than others and some have very different flavour profiles than other ones.
    They are all good in pesto, in my opinion.

15. Brandi says:

My mouth is watering already, I can’t wait to try this.

16. LynnCS says:

To JD #4…Yes, that is probably true. Once I was planning to make a big move and liked a photo of a house I saw in an ad, so I called and said I could travel to their town the next day and would like to see that house. She said it wasn’t a real house for sale, but just a file photo. I felt so bad, kind of like a come on bate and switch. I see I am still a bit naive about these things, but I do think things should be represented as they are. I have never seen a packaged food look like the picture on the package, and glad I don’t eat them any more. Sad to have to think, everytime you see something pictured, that it’s probably not the real deal.

17. frit says:

is it unhealthy to eath garlic. i heard its has some bad stuff, the allium family

18. zyxomma says:

I own Conscious Eating. Sorry, I don’t have it handy (not home), but I’m certain that there’s olive oil in the recipe for pesto. Without sufficient olive oil, the basil leaves turn black as soon as they’re ground up in the machine. Olive oil is the basis for pesto, both traditional basil pesto and all the others. Frankly, I don’t think that’s the recipe at all; no pesto recipe includes more nuts than basil!

That said, I’ll tell you why my pesto is the best vegan version on the planet. I add about a dozen pitted Kalamata olives to the mixture, which perfectly replaces the cheese. My recipe, perfected over decades of making vegan pesto, is always all organic, and consists of: Fresh basil (preferably in season), flat-leaf parsley (curly parsley will do), soaked pine nuts, fresh garlic, Kalamata olives, warm New Mexico chile (not physically warmed, that just means the ground chile does not include seeds, which make it hotter), and lovely extra virgin olive oil. At the end, I add Himalayan salt. If it’s not cheesy enough for your taste buds (and you’re not on the Body Ecology protocol), you can add a couple spoons of nutritional yeast. Always remember, love is the first ingredient. If you make pesto in the Vitamix or food processor, pulse it to blend, so it remains a little chunky.

Like everyone else, sometimes I vary the recipe. When garlic scapes are in season (yes, it’s a short season), I include them. When ramps (yum!) are in season, I include them. Organic pine nuts have gotten outrageously expensive, so i often substitute soaked pistachios. I have used a mix of pine nuts and walnuts, however, as I said, the proportions above are incorrect. 2 cups of nuts to one cup of basil? I don’t think so!

I have not included proportions, because pesto can be varied. I use a large bunch of basil, a small bunch of parsley, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 c. pine nuts, 12 olives, 1 T. ground NM chile, and 1 t. Himalayan salt, drizzling in anywhere from 1/2 to 1 c. oil during the blending process. I use loads of love, and always adjust the recipe to the quality of the ingredients. Health and peace.

19. Carey says:

I was thinking of making this pesto tonight, but I am wondering about whether the oil was inadvertently left out of the recipe. Anyone tried it yet?

20. mary says:

what is diakon and is jicama a root like potatoes? ALSO, where do you get them and where do you get white miso and other ingredients fro some of the recipies. there are several mystery ingredients on several recipies.
    Also, I don’t like cucumbers and getting them back (to return if you get my drift) several times a week isn’t something that I don’t appreciate.

21. Kim says:

Hey Mary, not sure what part of the country you live in, but in my local store is a brand of miso called Miso Master which has a Mellow White Miso- a nice light tasting miso that doesn’t overpower the taste of other ingredients but puts a nice depth of taste in dishes where you need it. As far as the pesto recipe I submitted I forgot to include that I too use a little bit of olive oil, but only a couple of teaspoons.

22. marja says:

I have learned from a herbalist that pine nuts are very bad for women’s hormonal balance, she advised to replace it for sunflower seeds. Any one heard about that?

23. is cheese ok for raw foodies? thanks
    daliya

24. Jutta says:

The recipe is written correctly from pg 723 of Dr. Cousens’ book “Conscious Eating ” . The rest of the oil comes from the nuts . You can believe that with all the years of research that he has put into raw foods that this is a healthy recipe . He has the reputation of being the foremost expert in the areas of eating to live rather than living to eat , raw food &nutrition.
    I am not his mother or a relative .
    Cheese is not a raw food Daliy unless made with raw milk , not pasteurized . Many raw foodies are vegans so would not eat even cheese from raw milk.
    Jutta

25. Ann says:

No disrespect to Dr. Cousens but I tried this recipe and it did not taste good. I didn’t care for the walnuts in it and I like walnuts. I think I’ll stick with real raw cashews or just raw pine nuts.