Nopales, Cabbage and Corn Salad with Chef Joni Sare : The Renegade Health Show Episode #906

Sunday Oct 16 | BY |

What are nopales?

You’ll find out in this recipe if you don’t know. One of the benefits of eating them though is lowered blood sugar (helpful for diabetics.) They’re also great for soothing the stomach and digestive tract as well.

In today’s recipe, Chef Joni Sare shows you how to cut them and use them to make a perfectly refreshing and filling summer or fall salad.

Also, right before the end, Joni shared another cool recipe that we were even surprised about!

Your question of the day: Have you ever had corn silk tea?

1. Cathie says:

Love that the dog approved! NICE!

2. sue says:

Corn silk tea YES! A natural bladder infection immediate healer.

3. wendy green says:

yummy! now where can i find cactus in the rainforest? think i had corn silk tea somewhere along the line….

sending jungle love kev and annmarie!

4. Laura says:

Is corn silk tea only for medicinal purposes or is it okay to have just for pleasure/nutritional reasons?

5. Corn Silk Tea is new to me. I’m eager to try it.

6. LynnCS says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie. Thanks for bringing Chef Joni to us today. She is great. Wendy, I too live in the rain forest of the Great Northwest. I do believe there is a neat Mexican store somewhat south of me and I know they would carry them, so I will investigate that source. I wondered how to use them. Nice, colorful, and healthy salad.

I never had cornsilk tea and wish I had known about it when I had to sit outdoors shucking corn as a kid. I can always use help in the detox area. Not sure I want to save commercial corn silks.

Enjoy, LynnCS

7. kathy W says:

Have never had the tea and would love to know just how to make this and all of the benefits…also you have a fantastic show that has wonderful information and insight…never miss it! God Bless you and thank you`

8. kathy W says:

Hi again Kevin and Annemarie~ neglected to say how it is appreciated that you care so much about all of us and have made and continue to make a differance! Hope to gro and learn more so that we also can give back as you have…For it is in giving that we receive …be blessed…hope to learn more of the tea inforamtion so that detox can be made available here in Minnesota as well…WHen will you come this direction?!~

KW

9. Cheryl says:

Salad looks really good.

However, doesn’t Kevin know how toxic corn is?
    It is the most carcinogenic grain that there is.

YUCK!!!

10. Velda says:

Never had cornsilk tea. Can you buy organic corn silk without buying corn? I know a gal that constantly has bladder infections. Might be worth mentioning to her, if we can find the organic cornsilks. Thank you, Kevin and Annmarie, for a great show!!!

11. Wendy says:

No, I’ve never heard of corn silk tea. Who knew?

12. Ivet says:

Hi,dry corn silk tea-tasteless,colorless but good detox.Don’t drink it because of the GMO thing,if I find organic and no GMO I definetly buy it.

13. Helen says:

I feel so disconnected with Renegade Health, ever since the episodes stopped being available in the iTunes store. What happened?? I really miss this as a way to watch the shows on my iPhone!

14. Nanette says:

Nope, I’ve never heard of it. Would be really interesting to know about. I love corn. Was surprised to read that Cheryl mentions it is toxic. Perhaps you could clear this for us and share the recipe.
    Thanks, Kevin and Annemarie

15. Yamina says:

Thank God, never.

16. Kim Ward says:

I have not had corn silk tea… yet!

17. jackie says:

Nope…never heard of it. Interesting idea if I had non GMO corn.

18. MARI says:

Yes I have had corn silk tea, & yes good for the kidney. Can purchase it in tea or where they sell bulk herbs. Love the fresh if can get organic.

19. Gerry says:

How do you get the pricklies off the cactus?
    Also, for those of us with no proximity to cactus, what might be a good alternative for the salad?

GREAT DEMO;-)

20. Laura says:

Hello!

Can you also write the recipe(s) you video for your readers? This would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Laura

21. bernadette says:

It is so annoying when you can not watch the video and miss out. So I agree with laura. Could you also write the recipe for your readers. I also wanted to add, going by comments. I have been using cornsilk for many years. If you like corn you will like cornsilk tea. I boil it up with as much ginger as I enjoy and water. using the cornsilk from two or three corn, with about 1-2 chopped table spoon of ginger and 1 1/2 litres of water bring it slowely to the boil and let simmer for a while. It is just as effective cold(kept in the fridge) for summer as hot for winter. I also know of an old Chineese families secret recipee, that included a hint of cammomile tea, they drank it daily to keep immune system strong.
    I found that gaining fresh cornsilk and drying it out yourself so much better than the ones you buy in the health shops.