Cantaloupe Chips? Don’t Knock ‘Em Until You Try Them! : The Renegade Health Show Episode #905

Friday Oct 14 | BY |

Cantaloupe chips?!?!

Yeah, I know, sounds really weird.

But have you tried them?

In this video, Chef Joni Sare shows you a crazy good recipe that showcases her creativity and adventurous spirit.

Check this out…

Your question of the day: What is the craziest chip you’ve ever eaten?

1. ALICE FANTO says:

can you use a regular oven or do u have to use a dehydrator

2. Sue says:

I make sweet potato chips. Some of them get chili powder for flavor, others receive nutritional yeast for flavor. Both of those are delicious. I tried flavoring some with rosemary, but those didn’t excite our taste buds!

3. Kristine says:

Ever since your show on onion chips, I make them!

4. Donna says:

It would be great if the typed out recipe could be provided for people who don’t have time to watch a 10 minute video, or who can’t hear the video. Also, then we don’t have to write/type it out to save it. Looks like a great recipe! Typed below.

Cantelope Chips
    Peel and seed 1 ripe cantelope and 1 red bell pepper. Juice them. Mix pulp with 1 tbsp flax meal, 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice, 1 tbsp of tahini butter. Put on dehydrator sheet in flattened bite sized pieces. 1 hr @ 145F, flip, repeat, then reduce to 90F until dried. They shrink alot.

5. I am unable to watch this video. All I see is a black screen. if you can please help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

6. Janet says:

Very unique chips! Can’t wait to make them!

7. Christina says:

those actually sound yummy, I never would had thought of that combination. I can never keep cantalope or honeydew melon around with my melon addicted children, even with buying 5 every few days. Hopefully my farmers market continues to sell them for 1$ a piece so I can get a chance to buy some extra to try this recipe.

8. Korol says:

@Sue …what’s your recipe? If you could post it that would be fabulous. Thanks!

9. Andrea says:

These look amazing and so easy! Can’t wait to try them. (Also can’t wait to see you later 🙂 !

10. Lana says:

Thank you for the TYPED recipe – I am LIMITED with my braodband via Verizon – so CAN NOT Watch many of these type of VIDEOS.

Many people HAVE The same problem with all the Internet companies becoming so GREEDY

Blessings to ALL – LT

11. Anne-Marie says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,
    From Hippocrate, I learned that canteloup should be eaten alone without mixing with anything because to difficult to digest for our body? Thank you for your answer and best regards Anne-Marie

12. Linda Duffy says:

The chips looke very tasty but dehydrating at 145 degrees for 2 hrs (1 hr/side)…, doesn’t that kill the enzymes?

13. Frank says:

Try onion,garlic,corn and cucumber together. With just a touch of sea salt.

14. ANGELA says:

Frank, how much of each? and do you chop ’em, juice ’em, dehydrate ’em or what? Sounds so good so please fill us in. : )

15. hyesun says:

cow chips! 😛 haha, just kidding. i love used to love the taro chips from the grocery store. i need to make my own, but i can’t find taro here.

16. Pam says:

Obviously these are not considered RAW, being dehydrated at 145 degrees. Can they be done below 115?

17. Teresa says:

I never tried raw chips, so I guess I’m in for a treat?

18. victoria says:

The cantalop chips look great, but they are not raw at 145 degrees.

19. Leam says:

love dehydrated cantaloupe!

20. mike says:

great to see a recipe using juiced pulp..always looking for ways to use the pulp rather than just composting thanks again!

21. Susan says:

22. afke says:

One should always dehydrate at 145 degrees for the first hour or more depending on the moisture level of the “dough”. The moisture protects the enzymes and it is important to bring the Water activity level down quickly to avoid mould growth.
    It’s like inserting a cooking thermometer in the turkey. the oven temp. is at 350.00, while the internal temp. is a lot less for several hours. I believe that you can find more info on the Excaliber website on this very topic.

And let us not get to persnikity about RAW. This is a much, much better snack than anything you can buy!

23. Dia says:

I actually found this video very inspirational, especially where she uses the pulp from the juicer to make chips.

24. Frank says:

Angela
    I only had them once at a friends house. She never told us how to make them but I have a good sense how I would do it. Lets Try:
    1/2 cup of onion
    one clove of garlic
    1/4 cup corn meal as a binding agent
    one cup of cucumber
    1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.

Here we go:
    Put raw onion,garlic and cucumber through the juicer to grind it up fine. A high speed blender could also work. If you used the juicer save back the juice to add some into the mix later.
    mix everything together in a glass bowl. Flatten on a parchment paper and cut into strips to dehydrate. Could become a party favorite. I must try it once myself.