The Best of The Renegade Health Show: Raw Cruciferous Vegetable Controversy

Friday Sep 9 | BY |

Ahh…

Should you eat cruciferous vegetables or not. Should you eat them with a fox? Could you, would you in a box? (I think it goes like that…)

Anyway, this was a big episode when it came out and it’s still a big issue.

Check it out…

Here are my thoughts…

1. Everything stays the same.

I still stand by this analysis of cruciferous vegetables. If you don’t have a thyroid issue and your iodine levels are good, you can eat them – of course in moderation.

If you have existing thyroid issues or low iodine, then you can still eat them, but make sure they’re cooked. You may want to limit them in this case as well.

2. In moderation. Based on your chemistry.

The key to eating cruciferous vegetables is that you need to eat them as any normal person would – not like a crazy, kale zombie would (or like I used to eat raw chocolate!)

Also, you need to know your health tendencies. So if you tend to have a sluggish thyroid, or have thyroid issues, then you might want to use caution.

3. These are so fun to watch.

I’ve been spending some time digging through these archives and it’s neat to see where we were throughout these times. The show started in March, 2008 and there has been so much growth and so much shared and learned.

I want to know your thoughts: Have you had any problems with raw cruciferous vegetables?

1. Missy says:

How about this “If you have a thyroid condition and have been advised to avoid cruciferous vegetables, there is good news for you. The broccoli sprout yields high levels of sulforaphane whicih diminishes as the vegetable matures. The mature vegetable yields the goitrogenic substances but the sprout doesnt. In fact, the sprout can be 20-50 times more concentrated in sulforaphane yield than the vegetable. So even if you have a thyroid condition, you can take advantage of all the cell-protective properties of sulforaphane without any of the goitrogenic effects by consuming broccoli sprouts daily.”

When I went raw, I ate kale almost every day, and other cruciferous veggies too. I inherited low thyroid function, and was hoping that going high raw may help. I wasn’t aware of this the cruciferous controversy at that time, and I was shocked that although my thyroid levels were in the normal zone a year after changing diet, they were still in the lower range. I cut back on raw kale and such to once a week and I eat them steamed/cooked sometimes. I do eat cruciferous sprouts almost every day based on the above article I found, for their anti-cancer properties (which can be 10-100x of that of the mature plants). I’ll get my blood checked again in December, just wondering if I’m still causing more harm to my body than good.

2. Missy says:

Found this one too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16965241
    Safety, tolerance, and metabolism of broccoli sprout glucosinolates and isothiocyanates: a clinical phase I study.
    No adverse affect on thyroid by the sprouts.

3. nils says:

what is if cabage is the mostly local green like in finnland???? are there people adapted to cabage. i rememberi liked to eat cabage in finnland other rawfoodist get bored and disgusted by cabage.

4. James says:

What green vegetable isn’t a cruciferous vegetable?

5. Sarah says:

Here’s another wrinkle though (for certain people) current research is also showing that iodine supplementation is contraindicated for people whose thyroid problem is autoimmune (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis). The idea is that iodine supplementation in these people can result in a “thyroid storm”, meaning a ramping up of the immune system against thyroid cells.
    Honestly, for me, almost all of these issues respond well to a program of “healing the gut”. If there is leaky gut, this is where a lot of these health issues start. I’ve seen even autoimmune symptoms go aways when gut healing occurs. Then, you should be able to eat any healthy whole food.

6. elf says:

Would you eat them in your sox? I’m going to make a broccoli, cabbage slaw today. And I’m going to put on sox, it’s chilly today!

7. Lilian Warren says:

I live in Sweden, wherein the winter time – cabbbage and broccoli are the only inexpensive raw foods you can find.I have avoided eating these because of all the issues about it.(Have hypo thyroid) Thank you! I’ll get some cruciferous??? veggies tomorrow and juice them. Hope I can find some iodine. I appreciate all your ingo. It’s always good.

Lilian

8. Eileen says:

Now, what if you are taking Armour Thyroid and are hypothyroid with Hashimoto’s Disease, can you still eat cruciferous veggies? Last time I got my TSH check it was around a 1- so the Armour stopped me from being hypothyroid, but from what I understand, I will always have the Hashimotos? I will have to get my iodine checked, but I don’t know what to do because I always hear conflicting thyroid information. I also heard that people with Hashi’s should NOT eat strawberries, peaches, or hemp (which I add to smoothies daily because I am vegan). That’s why I just gave up and took the medicine because I want to be able to eat all these cancer preventing raw and vegan foods. Geez- this definitely gets overwhelming. I would love to get off the Armour but the last time I did my TSH was at a dangerous 8.0!! I feel like Armour is better than synthetic Synthroid. I tried the 100% raw diet with meditation, and I took iodine supplements and even thyroid boost herbs and that’s when my TSh was at an 8! It was really disheartening because I thought my healthy diet would reverse the Hashi’s but it didn’t. So I am less stressed out just taking the medicine. But, if I cut out cruciferous veggies, strawberries, peaches, hemp, spinach, etc— what is there left to eat… hamburgers????? I was also told to stay away from tofu and wheat gluten. I try to cut soy out obviously because of all the controversy surrounding it, but it is very difficult being vegan AND wheat/gluten free. I can barely eat out then besides salads. Don’t get me wrong, I love salads and eat organic raw up until dinner, but then I have a cooked meal for dinner. so difficult sometimes… I’m only 30 AND was diagnosed with cancer at 26. Geez- this thyroid thing is really starting to bother me that I tend to just ignore it…

9. Lauren says:

How can you boost your iodine without supplements and iodized salt?

10. Annette says:

Hello to the both of you! I love your show very much and I’m so glad I found your show.
    I am new to the raw food way of life and am wondering if I need to watch the Cruciferous Vegetables in my diet. I was looking at the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I do have some of the symptoms. I would like to get some blood test just to see if anything is lacking. I did ask my doc the other day if she could test my hormone levels she said it was a waste and I really don’t need it. So do you have any idea where I could get blood test without a doc’s notice (not just for my thyroid but in general overall).

Thanks for you time and help
    Annette 🙂

11. Larry Fishman says:

As far as I can tell, there is no documented research/trial backing the claim that cruciferous vegetables should be avoided if you have a thyroid issue. Please cite some research, trial, study, etc.

12. Missy says:

@Lauren, seaweed is a good source of iodine. I use it instead of salt sometimes, a mixture of dried seaweeds, or make raw crackers with soaked kombu.

13. Stacy Waters says:

I wholeheartedly agree with Sarah’s comment, above, as well as Kevin’s analysis in the video. As someone who has experienced Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, I can attest to the fact that there’s a lot of misunderstanding in the alternative diet communities about this issue. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been told that I should supplement with iodine, even though I have no iodine deficiency, for example.

I think Kevin’s right that if you do have low iodine you need to pay attention to this issue. However, not all low thyroid problems are due to low iodine. There is even some speculation that Hashimoto’s (an autoimmune condition rather than a measurable deficiency) results, in some women, from high levels of iodine in prenatal vitamins (which I had taken, prior to the onset of the symptoms).

14. Anna says:

Hey Kev,

I agree. I have thyroid issues (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an auto-immune condition), adrenal issues, hypoglycemia, leaky gut & a few other related health issues. It is a LONG road back to health, I’ll tell you that.

Anyway, I went on & off an organic raw diet a few times, yet I felt HORRIBLE. Made no sense, right? Raw food diets are supposed to be healing. Anyway, on raw food, I was having a lot of raw cruciferous veggies (spinach, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) + putting a few tablespoons (up to 1/3 -1/2 cup some days) of raw green powder in my smoothies. The raw green powders are typically very HIGH in crucuiferous veggies, as well as spirulina & chlorella; the latter 2 can irritate leaky gut. Not too mention raw veggies (unless they have really soft leaves) can be very tough to digest for leaky gut folks (even digesting apple peel can be tough!)

It took me a lomg time to get properly diagnosed & find a good doc. Long story short, cruciferous veggies don’t cause thyroid issues (poor eating habits, too much stress, stimulants, too little sleep & too many toxins are the main culprits). But once the disorder takes hold, cruciferous veggies sure can exacerbate it. Raw peaches, strawberrries & pears are also goitrogenic, so plan on cooking them only having small portions of them raw. Millet- raw or cooked- is also a goitrogen. As is soy, but fermented soy is lower in goitrogens than unfermented. FYI, the wild versions of these foods will have more goitrogenic activity.

I eliminated them for a little while, but now that I am a bit stronger, have added back small, cooked amounts to my diet. I occasionally have raw goitrogens also, but in very small amounts. I had to eliminate the green powders, which I cannot tolerate.

However, keep in mind that cruciferous veggies are not the only goitrogens- any endocrine disrupting chemical, whether eaten, breathed in or applied to skin is a goitrogen.
    Chemical goitrogens (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals in non-organic, non-pastured, non-grass fed meats, cosmetics, etc.) are far more toxic & potent than food goitrogens, so it is vitally important to limit one’s exposure to chemical goitrogens. Plus chemical goitrogens weaken liver function & cause hormonal imbalances.

As for non- cruciferous green leafy veggies- there are many- lettuce, edible chrysanthamum (leaves as well as flowers can be used), mache, claytonia, nettles, dandelion, chickweed, purslane, lamb’s quarters (amaranth family), beet greens, malabar spinach (NOT a true spinach, NOR a cruciferous veggie), parsley, basil, oregano (fresh), cilantro, sunflower sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, buckwheat sprouts, pea sprouts.

Other non-cruciferous veggies include asparagus, rhubarb (related to celery but used as a fruit), celery, cucumber, winter & summer squash, burdock root, avocado (tech. a fruit, but mainly used as a veggie in our culture), okra, celeraic, carrots & beets. Many of these veggies are nutritionally dense. I like to make a green pesto out of them. I sure hope a cruciferous veggie didn’t slip under my radar & make it onto these lists. If so, someone please correct me.

Good luck everyone, and remember to VARY your diet. Don’t always eat veggies from the same family. The selection in the supermarket is pathetically small, & the cruciferous veggie family is over-represented, so you may have to grow some of your own veggies. Fortunately many of the more unusual greens are surprisingly easy to grow (I grow a lot of them), & they freeze well for later use. I am sure many of them double as blood tonics & have anti-cancer properties, but they haven’t yet been formally studied.

15. Sprouts from the cabbage family are good for you. Studies have shown broccoli sprouts have anti-cancer properties from sulphoraphane.

Go Sprouts!

It is easy to grown your own!

16. LynnCS says:

Well…I am going to have to listen to and read this many times to get it all. Thanks to the posters to. I have to face a dr. this week who gets frustrated with me and my questions. First I have to talk with him about getting frustrated. Little boys get frustrated with mommy, not grown doctors. Anyway. I didn’t know anything about this before going raw (abt 21/2 mos.) and the other day I decided to buy chard instead of kale. Now someone said it is cruciferous too. I will look it up. I have a lot of ailments that are getting much better, so I want to keep on doing the Raw food. I just wish I could get all the testing. I don’t know why I am so on and off again with this thyroid thing unless it is Hashimoto’s. If the dr. thinks it’s frustrating to him. What does he think I am going through? I will ask for the Free T3 and the Free T4 and the R3. Anything else I should ask for? I had the 24 hr. Iodine testing done about 3-4 yrs ago and was told it was ok. We get a good amt. of iodine from the sea vegis, no? and I like using those. now one of you said it may not be good for Hashimoto’s. I really need to know about this. Why is it so hard to get it straight?

17. Rocio says:

Yes, very important the comment of Sarah#5. I have Hashimoto and I can’t take Iodine..I took some Iodoral and it was like throwing fire in the fire place, it put me in the hospital! I just went to the doctor because I have a lot of “immune activity” and of course leaky gut which I think it has gotten so much better. The doctor put me in a diet with RepairVite. Well the diet consist on No dairy, grains, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, nuts-seeds, grains, nothing canned, no starchy veggies, no high glycemic fruits like mangoes, bananas, watermelon, pineapple, etc ..and suggested animal protein often to maintain sugar levels. I can’t digest animal protein, nor do I like it. There are a lot of vegetables I can’t eat. Celery, peppers..and more!!! Is it possible to treat leaky gut in another way? …my blood protein levels were so low and just now they started to go up to low normal range..as well as being anemic. Now my ALT- liver enzymes are a little bit high..they say not to worry! I do’n eat any junk,no sugars, except some fruit ,no alcohol..Any way.I was making my green smoothies with kale and lettuces because I can’t use Spinach ..and now I can’t use kale either!! Kevin do you have any suggestions? What about for Leaky Gut?
    Thank you!

18. LynnCS says:

Oh yea. He says the TSH test is ok. Didn’t show it to me. I want to understand these tests. I want to see the numbers. Why not?

19. Rocio says:

Anna#9 Thank you so much! I just read your post and it explains why I could NOT do the raw food and feel as great as so many of you do!
    Thank you, What do you eat for protein?. Thank you.

20. Leslie says:

Very good comments, especially about the frustrated doctor!
    Something that can really help with this issue of judgment is in the book: Eat Right 4 Your Type (the Blood Type Diets).
    Rocio, try the whole diet, especially if you are type O, it cured my leaky gut to give up wheat and corn. I use Ezekiel, and bison.
    Do it for six weeks strictly. Be aware that in the 4th and 5th week you will feel like crap, and wonder why you are doing this. Do not quit, as you can make it, and you would have to do it all over again!
    In the 6th week you will feel wonderful.
    Is it 80% of the population that is blood type O? These people have survived everything without developing blood antibodies, and share a few characteristics, such as prone to inflammation, arthritis, and allergies (not that other types aren’t). But in particular they have tricky thyroid function. (Here I was having raw broccoli daily,in every salad).
    By the way, broccoli is allowed as any chlorophyll helps substitute for clotting factor that they tend to lack, having thin blood. Other greens? SPINACH, beans,look at the lists. Especially look into sage, herbs, etc. Rose hips are made into a soup in Sweden. sage is steamed like a vegetable, but can be eaten raw as long as it is treated like medicine. It is antiviral, antifungal, antibiotic, and has phytoestrogens, brain antioxidants, thujone, so one leaf per day to week, depending on how strong your plant is (herbs grown in desert can be too strong, like lambs quarter in a drought will be toxicly high in nitrate and oxalate). Sprouting, soaking seeds and nuts always a help with metabolism. Light steaming helps with the goiter factor some. Try foraging, Siberian Elm samaras, grow nasturtiums!
    The only Blue Zone in America, Loma Linda: that’s their main secret, they soak their nuts (removes enzyme inhibitors).
    This is the way to work with it:
    Eat cruciferous vegetables. I love using cabbage as a sandwich holder. Plus the juice cures ulcer. Just make sure you get iodine from other sources at an alternate time of day, in at least the same week. My favorite is the DLT: Dulse, Lettuce (or onion, avocado), tomato sandwich with Follow Your Heart Grapeseed oil mayonaise(it is worth the price, buy the big bottle, look for sales, it is actually good for you and used in many raw food recipes) or a homemade dressing you favor. Martha Stewart collects her own on the east coast and says fry it, but put it in DRY. You want it to taste like bacon, not seaweed!
    Be cautious of starting every single morning with chard in your green drink,I haven’t started this yet, but want to try to integrate it and see how it goes.
    I knew I was feeling better so it was working wonders to add seaweed. Have been doing this several years now. But I plan to test also.I bought the download How to read Your Blood tests here, as a starting point.
    Remember, WE developed almost all the crucifers from one spindly plant. Nature didn’t do this. Anyone can try this, it was just outlined as an O blood type weakness.
    If you have injury or illness, start very cautiously with a few things, allow much time (6 mos to years, like ridding yeast, your body will tell you if it is improving) and make sure you are also getting natural or raw B vitamins (very important: cofactors to digestive enzymes). Be sensitive to your body so it will “talk” to you. People who are finally healing get a sense of euphoria after taking something that helps. (Ashwaganda can do this if taken during right stage of support). It will feel as if it is saying “Thank YOU!” and you are becoming oner again. but it is progressive. Cells have developed sensors over hundreds of thousands of years, and hunter-gatherers are foragers (herbs). Your blood remembers what your grandma ate. Only after the 50s did we stop eating actual food (one generation!). Your cells do not recognize drugs and GMOs and will envelop them in fat, its immediate defense. If you continue to assault yourself, deterioration and degeneration result. But what you think is even more important. Work with what you have and what you can do. the right things will come across your path. If there is a problem, try to understand what must be learned. Some people’s spiritual battle is their bodies, and they chose this for a reason. They can still be happy.

21. Leslie says:

By the way, if you are not type O, pay attention to the general description of your type. Type A is the true vegetarian, so very different. One type cannot eat chicken. Type B can do milk. But just call up info online, and read the book, it is full of blood history put together by a father MD who studied what wounded soldiers ate during wartime to determine how tehy best healed. his son is a naturopath from jon Bastyr who continued his work by observing under teh microscope.
    If you decide to do it for six weeks, you can after cautiously add things to see what your own personal heriatage is like. (Much cheaper than allergy testing)! Ex: I can eat peanut butter, but blow up with spelt.

22. Treeplanter says:

One key point here is that greens such as cabbage, kale, collards, etc. will cause a burning sensation in the mouth after eating a few leaves. That is nature’s way of saying, enough. Stop eating that now. A few leaves is all your body needs at one time.

The problems happen when people run these greens through a juicer or blender and drink down a much larger amount than would have been possible if eating one leaf at a time.

So, be careful around green juices or green smoothies. It is very easy to overdose on them and wind up with thyroid or other problems.

Spinach, chard and beet greens are not cruciferous, but they have a lot of oxalic acid, which can cause kidney stones if consumed in excess. They cause a cotton mouth sensation if consumed in excess.

The only really safe green is lettuce, as far as I know.

A way to be safe with greens is to not juice or blend them, just eat them one leaf at a time, and when your body has had enough, you will know.

Enjoy your raw greens moderately.

Michael T.

23. Janet Kent says:

There are so many conflicting idaes and dos and don’ts about everything we eat that if we took notice of all we are told we wouldn’t survive long !! Tread the middle way and eat what you feeel to be good in moderation and if it makes you feel bad knock it off your list. I love sprouts and grow loads of them as well as wheat grass and at 73 I am pretty healthy and do not get coughs and colds in the harsh Scottish winter weather. I will continue to juice my veg both green and roots and hope to be as healthy as my Mother at her age of 97. Mum has always eaten both meat and cruciferous veg and has hardly had a days illness in her life. It all depends on balance I think.

24. Patti says:

Kevin, I am so grateful for you posting this again. I love the way you find the scientific research and bring it all together….thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have not had any problem with raw cruciferous veggies because I don’t overdo them. I change things out a lot. I emphasize listening to my body, so if I can’t face another kale shake, I eat a cooked sweet potato if that is what sounds yummy. From time to time I even go out and eat something totally unhealthy, like pizza. I usually get what I call a food hangover, but then I really appreciate my veggie juice in the morning!!! and my body does just fine.

25. Renee says:

A year ago, I had just been downsized from my job and also other personal situations developed into a very upsetting environment. Anyway, I had to sleep on a filthy carpet and woke up with an excruciating pain in one area of my stomach. Never had I felt such pain. The pain was debilitating and I could could barely stand. What did I do? I went to the fridge and found a conventional cabbage and starting eating it raw and my stomach pain became bearable. The cabbage almost immediately soothed my stomach. The combination of cabbage and raw ginger helped cure me. I eventually purchased licorice, L-Glutamine.. everything and anything but nothing worked like cabbage. The full healing process was also helped by a coffee substitute with soothing ingredients such as chicory. Just think if I had gone to the hospital what they would have done to me! It is amazing that a cabbage could have such a dramatic effect on my stomach pain.

26. Nieves says:

I have hashimoto. My iodine in low. I get very bloaded and I don’t know if I have leaky gut. I know I have gut issues but I don’t know for sure which they are. Is there any test to find this out? I am raw but not 100%. It gets so confused to know what is best for you! Some people say the blood type, yet others the metabolic type, like Dr. Mercola….I don’t know who to beleive! I would like to find somebody (practicioner) that really know about all of this and can help. Sometimes I just look the other way which I know I shouldn’t. Any suggestions? Anybody have a practicioner that helped them to souce all of these out? Please share name and state.

27. Nieves says:

I have problems with Hashi, low in iodine, gut (bloaded. Anybody has a good practicioner that helped with food choices? (I am raw but not 100%) blood type or metabloic type etc. I don’t know where the truth is…so many controversy about all of this! Please share info.

28. Richard says:

Kevin!

Great Show! Nice Work on a REALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC! Thank You!

29. Hi!
    My last blood tests showed high TSH and TPO (my TGB have healed after I went vegetarian almost a year ago, yeah!).
    So I did some research and I found a very interesting medical study that brings hope to auto-immune: it looks like Selenium could decrease levels of antibodies!

Read it here: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/87/4/1687.abstract

Yes, it looks like patients were given T4 hormons to keep TSH under control (which I’m not doing by now – I’m trying to try all other options I can find first).

Then they were supplemented with sodium selenite. I’ve been taking a suplement by Ifigen that is Na2SeO3, hopefully it’s the same or similar?

They were given 200 ?g per day during 3 months – that’s almost 3 times the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) which is 70?g.

I’ve followed the recomendation of my supplement package and took the equivalent to 70?g. However, I’ve been eating 3-5 Brazil nuts per day, as each nut contains a bit more than the RDA; 96?g (137% RDA). More info on Brazil nuts and foods that contain selenium:

I’m planning to take another test next month, when I’ll have been on selenium for about 3 months.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I’m surprised noone is mentioning it here…

30. suzanne says:

Spinach, chard…comment causing kidney stones because of oxalic acid. I thought that was true when those foods are cooked, not raw. Is that correct anyone??

31. Jen says:

Some of you asked about ordering your own lab tests and having the results sent directly to you. Prices are reasonable. We’ve used this service and hand the results in person to the doctor’s office. Each lab test gives you the normal range as well as your lab value. If your value if outside the normal range, the line will be bolded and it will indicate HIGH or LOW.

32. Edith says:

I have a problem with tests on bunny rabbits to determine what humans should eat. First, contrary to Mother Goose, rabbits shouldn’t eat any green which grows in a round shaped head, like cabbage. It makes them bloat and they become ill. I will disregard that study.
    I want to know from those of you who are raw, if you warm your veggies. Can you heat them to a certain temperature without destroying the nutrients?
    For the meat eaters, did you know that some sausage contains ground up pork thyroid glands? You can become hyperthyroid from eating it and develop Grave’s disease. I suppose this would be a big problem if you also take armour iodine, which would be a double dose.
    I have struggled with this iodine issue for years. I don’t like seaweed. It is too salty for my taste. I gag down a supplement, but I still seem deficient.

33. JT says:

@Missy at comment #1. Does juicing the kale change the scenario you mentioned? If your body is not digesting the vegetable, then what good or harm does the juice do….? You didn’t reference the original study that you were using. Can you do that? I juice kale for my husband everyday, or nearly everyday and I did not know it could be counterproductive. I need to know if what I am doing is ok. Your comments were very thought provoking. Thank you.

34. Pamela Weems says:

@Eileen #9:
    I have Hashimoto’s and have four nodules on my thyroid, first seen in 2006. The last time I went to the endo one of the nodules could not be seen on the ultrasound, and the others had shrunk.My dose of meds (first Armour, but now she has me on Synthroid) has been cut twice. This I attribute to being gluten- and dairy-free for the better part of two years (and off and on before that). I am low in iodine and try to use dulse powder on salads, etc to help that.

Does anybody ever go back and read additional posts after they comment?

35. Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your research on the raw cruciferous controversy.

What came to mind while I was reading your comments is a question about using a high speed blender. I was at a lecture given by Brian Clement from the Hippocrates Institute wherein he said that 90% of the nutrients in foods that are blended in a high speed blender are destroyed. He said that a study on this was done at a University in Miami, Florida.

I tried to find this study but have been unable to do so.

Can you share with me any information that you may have on this question.

Gratefully,
    Robert

36. Valerie says:

I’m BRCA 1 positive and have struggled with hypothyroidism. My levels have been normal in the last year and a half, but could have been altered by having a baby and nursing. Now that I am no longer nursing, I’ve increased my intake of raw, cruciferous veggies which hurt my babies stomach in the past. Ive chosen nutritional therapy as a preventative measure, having declined a mastectomy or hysterectomy so I really need to include these cancer fighters in my daily diet, but I’m concerned about throwing my thyroid out of wack again. Any advice on how I can achieve my preventative care while keeping my thyroid in check?

37. Chris says:

Eat them!! they are good for you. . your body will heal over time and you’ll not need thyroid medication any longer.

38. Thomas says:

@Marta:
    You should watch this video of Kevin’s on selenium overdose:

We do need a certain amount, but too much can be detrimental to our health.

@Robert (concerning blenders and nutrients):

and

39. Annette says:

@Jen(31) Thanks for the link to direct labs http://www.directlabs.com/. I ordered some test today. 🙂

40. Susan says:

I was always a thin person no matter what I ate. Then I got a thyroid nodule and was told I had both a hot & cold nodule. One nodule made enough for both sides so they took the hot half out. I am not fat but not as thin as I used to be and of course older now as well. I recently started dabbling in the greens and raw lifestyle. My TSH levels are always in an acceptable range but in my opinion are not the way I was. What do you suggest? Going raw for 6 months & testing the TSH waters? I’m certain my dr has no clue about the effects of raw on my thyroid. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

41. Edith says:

Pamela, I check back to see if anyone has responded to my questions.

Robert..I would really like to know about that blender study. I have a Vitamix which I am assuming is included in that research.

42. @Thomas
    Thank you for the video link! Very interesting! If any symptoms appeared, now I’d be able to understand where they come from!
    But it’s weird, I had found somewhere else that the body usually eliminates quickly the excess of selenium and that it was very difficult to overdose… But I guess it can happen!
    Anyway, I’m not losing hair by now and I believe the amount of selenium I’m taking is still in the safe range, as I took only the recomended amount from supplements, and then any extra selenium came from my diet (a bunch of brazil nuts a day).
    My supplement just finished some days ago, and after seeing the video I think I’ll stick to the nuts and not buy the supplement anymore. And let’s see how my blood tests come.
    Thank you for sharing! I appreciate it!

43. Very interesting and informative–I’m caregiver for my mother who has a thyroid condition–she actually has symptoms of both over and under active, so, very frankly, I’m not sure in which category she falls but have taken caution in serving her cruciferous veggies and your video has helped my decision to be cautious and serve her mostly cooked or steamed. I understand the importance of ‘greens’ in her diet so make sure she has plenty daily. More importantly and interesting regarding your info on iodine supplementation as I’ve been giving her sea veggies (spirulina) twice a day-(-probably should do thrice) but will aim for that.
    Have watched your program for some time now, about a year and a half, and have gotten loads of good info and ideas on veganism and recipes, but this is the first time I’ve commented…Thanks so much for all that you do and keep up the good work as God continues to bless you and yours.