Spicy Chili Lime Kale Chips : A Recipe from Michelle Pfennighaus

Thursday Sep 1 | BY |

Michelle-Pfennighaus-Chili-Lime-Kale-Chips-Recipe
Michelle Pfennighaus’ recipe for Chili-Lime Kale Chips, from her blog findyourbalancehealth.com.

Chili-Lime Kale Chips – A Recipe from Michelle Pfennighaus

Do you have a small love affair going on with kale? If so, I’m not surprised. I got my hands on some kale this week and turned it into a new version of kale chips that I couldn’t stop bragging about for days. You know how it is when you really nail a recipe and it turns out amazing and you do a little happy dance and proceed to eat all of it immediately? It was like that…

Serves: 2 to 4

Prep Time: 10 minutes

1 head of green curly kale
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup cashews, ground to a powder
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs salt

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Rinse kale leaves and shake dry. Tear leaves into chip-sized pieces. Reserve the stems for another use, like vegetable stock.

2. In a large bowl, combine kale with all other ingredients. Mix with your hands until kale looks wet and seasoning is evenly distributed.

3. On two large cookie sheets, spread out kale leaves the best you can so they are flat and not overlapping.

4. Bake for about 8 minutes. Flip and move chips around to cook evenly. Bake another 8 minutes or so. When they are done they should be absolutely crispy. Once crisp they tend to burn quickly so check on them every minute or so towards the end!

Michelle Pfennighaus

Michelle Pfennighaus

Michelle is wife, mama and health coach to busy women around the world. She suffered for years with IBS and anxiety, until finally healing herself through changes in diet and lifestyle. Her life’s reinvention has been documented in the movie “Lemonade” and she’s been featured on ABC, NBC and NPR with her inspiring story. Visit FindYourBalanceHealth.com for recipes and healthy ideas.

1. Ohh so yummie!!! Have to try this 😀 Thanks Kevin!
    You rock!

2. Sue says:

I’ll try this with my dehydrator instead of oven. Thanks!!

3. Velda says:

This sound great!! I’ll try it.

4. Rob says:

I thought dehydrator too. But I bet it needs to cook since I have dehydrated kale and it’s were quite a bit chewy.

5. Alyssa Boyle says:

Looks yummy! When I make kale chips in the dehydrator it takes at least 8 hours at 108 degrees to get crispy, more if I have a lot “dressing” on them. Be patient, it’s worth it.

6. BarbaraL says:

But this is a step backward to cooked which is proven to be unhealthy. We need forward recipes not cooked ones available on a million sites online. If we water down this site with the cooked world we will get what they got, same as if we eat lots of RAW junk food. This is a lifeswork and takes lots of guts and awareness. Cooked food numbs this awareness and is a drug and should be used in tiny doses, and certainly not celebrated. This recipe belongs on a vegan site, not people primarily raw vegans. Sorry for the rant but jeez … pollution.

7. If you stay with all raw food it has meaning for maintaining health. BUT if COOKED DEHYDRATED items get into these pages like a satanic fervour, it defeats the purpose, the very purpose – and I agree with BarbaraL.

Eating raw is not a choice.It is the only best way meant for mankind if they want to progress in body,mind and soul. Others kill him and keep him on the earth permanently striving for a meaning and never getting it.

Life is not easy to follow for ordinary human beings. It is a great grand treatise that cannot be interpreted correctly by many. It takes years to get the right meaning and It takes many decades to find the strength to follow what we found as treasure.

8. Karen says:

I am all for raw foods, but there has to be a balance between raw and cooked. Some foods only release some of their nutrients when cooked, like tomatoes. Being health conscious is also about being open-minded to new and different things. When we become closed-minded and feel that only one way is the best way, then we lose sight of the real purpose of it all and that is to be healthy. From what I’ve read of Kevin’s postings, he used to be a very strict vegan and it was costing him his health. When he opened his mind and body to foods that were not strictly vegan (like goat kefir), he was able to heal his body.

9. Steph/Cliff says:

Kevin is listening to what his body needs….to many people have not learned how to listen to their bodies, they are to busy telling others what not to do.
    Listen to your own body, we are all individual.

10. Rebecca Cody says:

I ate only raw vegan as part of an alternative cancer treatment and after a few months, despite choosing foods carefully and eating a wide variety, my protein levels had fallen into unsafe territory, my B12 the same. I’m healthier now that I eat both cooked and raw, mostly vegan, but with a little animal protein here and there.

My doc had me do a very comprehensive test (blood and urine) called NutrEval, which shows which nutrients are lacking, which are poorly absorbed, which are overabundant, signs of toxicity and yeast and many, many other things. The report was 26 pages. It convinced me I had to have more complete proteins in my diet and I’m healthier because I’ve added them.

We are biological individuals. There is no one size fits all in the world of human nutrition. I really appreciate that Kevin openly shares what he has learned through constant questing, trying, and learning from what his body teaches, and that he isn’t dogmatic about only one style of eating.

11. Rebecca Cody says:

Oops! I forgot to add, everybody has an oven and can try kale chips that way. They are so much easier to just forget and let them dehydrate away, but for people new to raw food with all the special equipment needed, baked kale chips can give them a taste, and perhaps the desire to buy a dehydrator.

Besides, kale is one of those veggies whose nutrients the body absorbs better when it is cooked.

12. Sally says:

Does anyone have trouble with unpleasant odors after eating kale? I am afraid to try the chips due to that problem when I had kale once before. Any suggestions?