Banana Buckwheat Power Breakfast : The Renegade Health Show Episode #889

Thursday Aug 18 | BY |

If I’m the one making the recipe on the show, you know two things…

One, it’s super easy to make. Two, it takes less than 4 minutes to prepare. LOL!

Actually, this recipe does require some soaking, but Annmarie handled that for me. Today, I’m just going to show you how to make this awesome raw food, power breakfast.

Your question of the day: How do you like your buckwheat? Cooked or Raw?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Raw Banana Walnut Porridge

1/2 Cup Sprouted or Cook Buckwheat
1/2 cup Banana Flakes
1/2 cup Nut Milk (we used Almond Milk)
1 tbsp Ceylon Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder
Handful of chopped walnuts
Handful of raisins

Sprout Buckwheat: Rinse well, and let soak for 20 min. Every few hour rinse again. Once you see the little tail they are ready! (can take 1-2 days) Here’s a link to show you how to do this… click here.

Cooked: 1 cup sprouted buckwheat to 2 cups of water, bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 min.

Blend raw or cooked buckwheat will all other ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix. Garnish with raisin, walnuts and banana sugar! Enjoy 🙂

If you want to try banana sugar, here’s where you can get some: Buy Banana Powder here!

1. Annette says:

Cooked!

2. Petrik says:

Raw Sprouted buckwheat, sprinkle with cinnamon, slice in a couple of good ripe bananas and chopped dates. Pour in about 1.5-2 cups almond milk.

Breakfast cereal ready to eat.

3. shine says:

raw – i use it mostly sprouted and dried to make carob bars and cakes and puddings.

4. lisa says:

Doesn’t cooking sprouting things kill the sproutingness of it????

5. William says:

Also try raw buckwheat with some ground flax seed, some hemp seed, some soaked chia seed, then add some optional items such as raisins and/or dates, maple syrup, or cinamon. Yields lots of nturients (ie: energy) and a full feeling that lasts for hours!!

6. Anne says:

Cooked in Autumn, winter and spring and perhaps sprouted occasionally in summer.

7. Beth says:

I haven’t tried buckwheat yet.
    This is a great time to try it both ways 🙂

8. Candice says:

I keep a jar of raw/sprouted/dehydrated buckwheat in the fridge most of the time. Great for making raw cereal, granola, and breads.

9. Kris says:

Thanks-can’t wait to try this! I was just thinking this morning about buckwheat and how to make it for breakfast–funny!

10. Mamabird says:

Lisa, he means you can either have it cooked or raw and sprouted. 🙂

11. Dianne says:

Oh! I’m really excited about your banana flakes Kevin!

12. Sue says:

I have never tried buckwheat raw! Now would be a good time! I’s like to try the buckwheat porridge!

13. lori says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve only eaten buckwheat cooked, but I will now try it raw, sprouted.

Kevin, re: your e-mailed article linked to this video where you write about what you’ve eaten for the last couple days, the menu seems fruit heavy. I would like to know your views on what Dr. Mercola cautions his readers about often, the dangers of eating too much fructose. As you know, he recommends consuming no more than 25 mg fructose per day from all sources, fruits included. Can you reconcile the research he presents to support his view with your own practice of eating quite a bit of fresh fruit in the course of one day?

14. Velda says:

Have never tried buckwheat. Not even sure where to find it. I have ordered the banana sugar – can’t wait to get it. This sounds like a good recipe. I’ll have to try it when I get my banana flakes 🙂 Thanks Kevin and Annmarie. I like getting the recipes!!

15. Melissa says:

What is your vanilla? I’ve never seen dark powdered vanilla before. We have recently started to eat raw and this looks good!

16. Edith says:

I think the cat wants some.

You can sometimes find this on the grocery shelves as Kashi in the section with matzo and falafel. It’s not organic in this box.

17. Dawn says:

We like to eat raw buckwheat porridge a couple of times a week. I usually put in soaked buckwheat, bananas, dates, vanilla, nut milk, vanilla, and a little pinch of salt.

18. MIKE says:

not sure about banana sweetner from s america when we are in california with
    amazing local organic date:)
    love most of your recipies peace
    peace

19. James says:

What’s the difference between buckwheat and regular wheat?

20. Edith says:

Oops! I meant Kasha, not Kashi….comes in a gold and black box, but reading the outside of the box it says it has been roasted. 100% pure and no additives. Made in USA!

21. nick says:

cooked most of the time only in the hot summer would I enjoy sprouting raw.

22. Lisa says:

Where do you buy the Organic Buckwheat Groats that can be sprouted?….. the stores on the internet seem so expensive……

23. MARI says:

I make buckwheat raw granola from Rene Oswalds book, the one with the 3 apples in it, dehydrated. Usually add some Chia seeds and almond milk, let sit 15 min to let chia seeds swell, so good. R/T to ones comment , buckwheat is not even in the wheat family.

24. sharon says:

Raw, soaked (sprouted or not) dehydrated buckwheat is SO good. Crunchy little things that can be combined with nuts, seeds, fresh or dried fruits. Yum.

25. Kuru says:

Ditto Lori’s question: How do you justify so much fructose? This recipe in particular is very high on the glycemic scale with dried bananas, raisins, even the cinnamon is really sweet. I was amazed that the raw food challenge was so fruit heavy too. How we love it, but it seems a bit reckless to me. Please let us know your thoughts.

26. Anna K says:

Every time Kevin gives an example of what he eats, people are all over him! He clearly stated that what they eat changes all the time, so if it was fruit heavy for two days then I’m sure he balanced it out over the next few days. Give this guy a break.

Will definitely try this recipe!

27. Lisa: Soaking & sprouting grains seeds & legumes gets rid of most of the phytates and anti-nutrients found in the hull of whole grains etc. Sure cooking it after destroys the enzymes from sprouting, but getting rid of those nutrient blockers which can damage intestinal linings, is essential when eating grains/legumes etc. So soak & sprout whether cooking or not!

James: Buckwheat is not even a grain, it is a fruit seed related to the rhubard plant. It is ‘grain like” in its constitution, but much healthier than most grains. Whole buckwheat groats help lower blood sugar, control cholesterol (promotes a good ratio of LDL to HDL), and contains a lot of phytonutrients and lignans.

28. maca says:

I would probably prefer raw, but hate the hassle of sprouting – things always go wrong. Also, I don’t like having to plan what I’m going to eat hours or days in advance.

29. Ryan says:

Reckless? What about taste? You really want to plan your meals by the glycemic index? I’ve eaten mostly fruits for a year and I was already reasonably thin and lost weight, why don’t you just try it and leave your measuring stick behind? You don’t need to measure anything just eat what you want and go by how you feel, and look. Easy.

30. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Lori: Good points, this is actually why I don’t like to mention what I eat… LOL 🙂

Yes, I’m aware of Joe’s recommendations, in fact, I remember reading it again just yesterday or the day before. Dr. Robert Lustig also says fructose is fine with the inclusion of fiber – though I’ll have to be in touch with him to see if there is any ceiling to this amount. Regardless, there’s some leeway here.

But, foremost like Ryan has said, using a measuring stick every day to determine your eating plan can lead to neurosis. During the summer, we eat a lot of fruit. During the winter we eat less. Everything is in flux and constant fluid motion. If the figs are ripe I eat them. If they’re not I don’t. If the peaches are amazing, I could eat 15 in a day and then not eat them again for a year. This is part of the intuitive eating practice we use. Coupled with blood testing, it works pretty well – now that I’m back on my feet with a more balanced approach to diet.

31. Sandy says:

I haven’t tried either, but I will!!! Looks so good.

32. meg says:

Raw but i usually dont sprout it i just soak rinse and dehydrate…is that okay?

33. diane ortega says:

This message is for shine Aug-18 2011 #3 I was wondering if I can have some of your recipes for carob bars and cakes and puddings. My e-mail is girlypowder@verizon.com Hi! Kevin and Annmarie , Responses to “Banana Buckwheat Power Breakfast, can you ask Shine she is #3, if I can have some of her recipes. Thank you Diane

34. Gwen says:

I have never tried buckwheat but look forward to trying it both ways.

35. Selene says:

At Hippocrates Health Institute, “buckwheaties” are served to guests who are not overweight and/or who don’t have a health challenge. Otherwise, breakfast is wheatgrass juice upon rising and all-you-can-drink green juice a while later.

Soak, sprout, dehydrate = buckwheaties. They keep on the shelf in a glass jar forever (not really!) and make a great substitute for crunchy breakfast cereal — with cinnamon and, if you desire, fruit sliced on top. “Milk” is easily made with buckwheat and water — vanilla added will give some flavor — and is much easier and lighter than nut milk.

Kevin, I don’t blame you for avoiding telling people what you eat. I also do this when I teach classes. When people are new to raw, they really want to model their eating after a “successful” raw foodist. They’re looking for a pattern, a prescription like what we’re used to from the food pyramid or from diet gurus.

I am happy that you continue to emphasize blood testing and individuals’ vastly different needs. It empowers people and supports them in taking responsibility for their own health rather than swallowing whole what experts have to say. This is where I believe you gain validity and stature as a coach and advisor.

36. Vickiew720 says:

I make a raw buckwheat scone that is delish! But I haven’t had it as a porridge, I’ll have to try it

37. LynnCS says:

Well…It’s always fun to read all the posts before I post. I find it wierd that anyone cares what anyone else eats, but I found some wonderful ideas in those posts too, so thanks all. Kevin and Annmarie. Such a good idea for what looks like a lucious way to use buckwheat. We have limited recources here where I live. I just placed a big order from Gold Mine and one of the items is sproutable buckwheat. I had no idea what I would do with it, but yee haw. Now I have a good idea. I’ve finally got some good results with soaking and sprouting, but mostly failed in making nut milks. I think it is the nuts I have been buying. I finally decided I would rather go without other things and pay whatever it costs to get Raw,Certified Organic from a respected and trusted supplier. I am just learning. Finally made my first juice with my awsome juicer. I try to stay with mostly fruits and vegis, but have a lot of digestive probs and find that some things still bother me. I am so glad you bring a broadminded view. It is hard enough to understand and do this without feeling wrong about ones choices. Thanx again for your show. Lynn