Finally, Healthy Food at a Premier Music Festival : The Renegade Health Show Episode #887

Monday Aug 15 | BY |

I’ve been to a bunch of music festivals in the past…

Some of them, I went to before I was eating as healthy as I am not, so beer and burgers were sufficient nutrition for me.

After I changed my diet and habits, I stopped going to festivals because I’d always have to plan ahead and hope that I could sneak some snacks past the bag check. Sometimes I could and sometimes I couldn’t, so I just gave up on them.

Last weekend, in San Francisco, a friend of ours invited us to the Outside Lands Music Festival and we fell in love. It’s pretty much the only gourmet music festival in the country and there were some incredible, healthy food options.

I talk about this with our friend and music publicity kingpin, Ken Weinstein.

Your question of the day: Help Ken get together a morning routine that works with his schedule and his weak bladder… LOL!

1. Chris says:

That is the coolest thing!! I had to bring all my own food to Bonnaroo.

2. Lorna says:

Hah, you can tell you’re at a festival – tends to focus the mind on toilet issues!

OK, so using the KISS approach, have you tried eating a less liquid breakfast and juicing when you’re nearer to a loo?

This reminds me that I did Glastonbury totally raw one year. Brought loads of cucumbers, avocados, mange tout, nuts and other stuff that wouldn’t go off. I was also big on raw cacao then and ‘packed’ loads of superfoods into home made chocolates. But of course that also meant I ate loads of raw cacao too, which sent me a bit loony tunes – who needs drugs?!

3. Marisa says:

Great video! And I thought I was the only one with bathroom issues in the morning because I drink so much water and green juice before I leave for work. Lol!! I haven’t found the best solution but I will make sure I go right before I leave and then hit the bathroom as soon as I get to work. Sometimes that means knocking a few people over in the hallways of the school I teach at though!

4. Thomas says:

1. Shorten your commute. Live as close to where you work as possible.

2. Get some of those “astronaut” diapers. (The kind used by the woman who drove non-stop from Texas to Florida . . . it was in the news a year of so ago) Or try ‘depends’ like the old folks in the ads . . .

3. Modify the driver’s seat in your car. You can just drive away from any spills . . 🙂

5. sans says:

bring a portable device. You can dilute it and use your “liquid gold” on plants.

6. Welcome to the bay area! I couldn’t believe it either when I started going to festivals here and there were raw food booths there!

As for the morning issue, no advice for men, but for women: wear a skirt, bring a large jar, imagine the rest. Saved me at Bonnaroo!

7. Bees says:

Rothbury had a farmers market on site back in 2008. Local Michigan cherries were in season that week …I ate so many I looked like The Joker before the end of the festi.

8. Veronika says:

Great video! Hopefully other festivals will follow suit and offer healthy options too.