Commentary on Cancer and Beets (Week in Review) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #886

Friday Aug 12 | BY |

This week was pretty exciting at Renegade Health…

One reason was my commentary on beets as a treatment for cancer.

Here’s where you can get the whole scoop for the week…

Your question of the day: Do you have any natural child care / birth book or DVD suggestions?

1. Hi there : )

I have one question for you and I would be so happy if you could help me out… 😀

I have had nailfungus on both of my big toe nails since I was 15 years old and I am now 22. I think I got it from the swimmingpool, cause I was a proffessional swimmer back then and used to hangout everyday almost in the swimmingarena…..

I also have 1 wart since that time (under my feet and just recently I got two small once on my fingers… Think I got it from my yogamat…hmm..)

I am treating both the nailfungus and the warts with organic tea tree oil every evening. It feels like it getting a little bit better, but do you know if there is any other effective natural medicine for nailfungus and warts?

Thank you so much for everything you do, I watch your videos and read your articals everyday!!! 😀

Lots of love,
    Emma

2. Paula says:

“Spiritual Midwifery” by Ina May Gaskin
    A great read be prepared to get teary! beautiful stories and experiences from midwives, mothers and fathers.

Ricki Lake and Abby Epstien’s film The Business of Being Born documents different birth experiences and points of view but tends to favor natural home births.

3. Paula says:

Thinking about natural childcare brings this question to mind,
    My daughter (8yrs) recently had a routine dental exam and this is the time when they recommend putting sealants on the back teeth to prevent tooth decay. The plastic resin used does contain BPA. A quick search around the web has led me to believe that BPA levels in the saliva are greatly increased right after application but not found to be higher in the blood stream after 24 hrs. I am in favor of protecting the teeth but not sure about the risk. Any ideas?

4. Ummrania says:

I was also going to say “The Business of Being Born”….I have had 3 natural home births and would never choose to do it any other way

5. Thomas says:

@Emma:
    Here are some collective thoughts from many people on battling with toenail fungus:

6. Wendy says:

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Karp.

7. connie says:

For the warts, our Doctor told us to put duct tape on it for a couple months until it goes away.

8. diana says:

Obstetric myths versus research realities by Henci Goer is a great reference book and pretty much anything by Robbie Davis-Floyd. Birth as an American Rite of Passage is my favorite of hers I referenced both extensively in my masters thesis. “The culture of direct entry midwifery in the upper midwest”

9. Tyler says:

Hello,

Lately I’ve been coming across some conflicting and pretty confusing information about food combining, and I just wanted to know your opinion on the subject. If you could explain some of the basics and most important do’s and dont’s, it would help me out a lot,

Thanks!

10. CB says:

I saw the question before I saw the video and was thinking there was going to be an announcement!

Here are my likes/dislikes:
    Ina May Gaskin’s Guide to Natural Childbirth- wish I had read that, especially the stories before having my 1st
    Dr. Sears’ The Baby Book- a great reference guide
    The Diaper-Free Baby by Christine Gross-Loh (both my girls were totally diaper free by 18 months)
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League – Ann Marie should check out local meetings before she has a baby
    Mothering.com is awesome- sad they no longer have a magazine

Shiela Kitzinger The Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
    The Natural Baby by Janet Balaskas- good section on natural remedies in back

Stay away from:
    Babywise by Ezzo
    Ferber
    What to Expect Series
    Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Weisbluth
    What to expect when your expecting

11. maca says:

@Emma – oil of oregano is excellent for treating nail fungus. See http://www.oreganol.org/nail-fungus-and-oil-of-oregano.html for further details. Also try cutting sugar out of your diet for a while.

12. susan says:

IF you have access to the wild MILKWEED plant, the white juice as you break the stem will remove warts in 3 days or a little more. my stepfather told me this when i was a teenager and had a large wart on my wrist and it WORKS!!!!I’ve also since read the same thing in some natural health/herbal books. Milkweed is also a great plant to have in your yard as it is the host plant of monarch butterflies.

13. John says:

Hi Kevin and Annmaire. My wife and I had our first child last July, so here are a few of our favorite resources that we found helpful . . .

During Pregnancy:
    “The Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol. 1” – http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pregnancy-Workout-vol/dp/B000BLKJ5E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276942933&sr=8-2-spell
    “Giving Birth Naturally” – http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/

Raising Children:
    “Parenting With Grace” – http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Grace-Gregory-K-Popcak/dp/1592766854/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305365392&sr=8-3

What to feed children:
    “Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right” – http://www.amazon.com/Disease-Proof-Your-Child-Feeding-Right/dp/0312338082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260617470&sr=1-1
    “Whole Food Mommies” – http://www.wholefoodmommies.com/

Vaccine Issues:
    “The Vaccine Book” – http://www.amazon.com/Vaccine-Book-Decision-Parenting-Library/dp/0316017507/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313327664&sr=1-1
    “Children’s Health Choices” – http://childrenshealthchoices.org/

Hope you are able to some of these things useful!

14. amber says:

HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method of natural childbirth. It’s about relaxing, breathing, visualization, and tuning inward to connect with your baby and to the wisdom of your own body during birth.

Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer (I mentioned this in a previous post).

Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Remedies for Children’s Health

Nature’s Children by Juliette de Bairacli Levy

15. I’m a mother of two, and after struggling the firsth time I did a lot of reading. My second birth I was more prepared for, and it was an entirely natural, home water-birth.

I would have loved to have seen the video about Russian water births in the Black Sea but I didn’t know about it back then. Its called Birth into Being, if you’re interested.

Probably Birth As We Know It, though I was already in Europe when it came out, I knew the jist of it from reading about it online.

I agree about:
    Ina May Gaskins (anything by her, but definitely Guide to Natural Childbirth or Spiritual Midwifery)

But half-way through pregnancy or whenever you strongly want to hear other women’s natural birth stories:
    *Adventures in Natural Childbirth by Pam England
    Journey into Motherhood by Sheri L. Menelli
    (Also Ina May’s books have plenty of this)

Excellent: Hypnobirthing Marie Mongan &
    Continuum Concept, of course.

But don’t skimp on the after birthing reading either, this is where I needed help most!
    Try:
    The Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Post-Partum Health
    Attachment Parenting

Also excellent Resources:

Peggy O’Mara’s Mothering books, like:
    Having a Baby Naturally, or Natural Family Living.

And Aviva Jill Romm has some good ones:
    Natural Health After Birth
    Vaccinations
    Naturally Healthy Babies and Children

Helpful guidebooks:
    Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year Susun Weed
    If you’re ‘middle of the road’ about vaccines I would only then recommend Dr. Sears’ books. Although they’re great breastfeeding resources and night time “parenting the child back to sleep” and family bed/ co-sleeping resources, people who may already have decided not to vaccinate may have a lot of skipping over to do. (ie Vaccine Book)

Since I honor the notion that the child brings inherent wisdom, is a unique soul – not just a sponge or a blank slate, it helped us to recognize that I was now entrusted with the care of an individual who brings something special to this world.
    Definitely not ‘just’ a mouth to feed and a cry to soothe who makes lots of dirty diapers and knows little to nothing and needs to be trained like a pet and entertained – I prefer the CC point of view/ Waldorf early childhood environment for my children (natural).

Speaking of a different kind of training, you may also be curious about EC’ing. I think there are enough resources online so that you do not have to read an entire book on it. However I used cloth diapers so I can’t attest to how it goes – I know plenty of civilizations practice/have practiced this method successfully.

I hope I helped in some way, all the best to you both!

16. Marla says:

Ina May!!

17. Heather Hemphill says:

I am sure you probably get the same emails that I do from Dr. Mercola but the one today about preventing Autism is absolutely paramount to have heard if you are considering having a child.
    I tried to paste the link from my email but it has my address in the link but the article was “How to Help Eliminate the Hidden Enemy that Triggers Autism ” search Mercola’s site and you will find it I am sure.
    It talks about way more than the Autism it is all about brain health.

18. Denae says:

I know this was mentioned already but Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth really (imho)is a must read. Along with Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read.

Birthing From Within had some great info in it. I especially appreciated the idea of a birth project. Something to keep your mind off of being in early labor.

Sometimes we can really get our mind so focused on every contraction (timing the early ones, how long they last, how far apart they are) that we can exhaust ourselves very early on in labor. Getting our heads out of the way and allowing things to unfold was key for me.

I can only tell you my experience. This may not be true for everyone.

For breastfeeding info Dr. Jack Newman is awesome!

19. Kathy says:

Although not a childbirth book, I think EVERY parent, teacher, or anyone involved with children should read “Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder”. It will really make you think about what kids are losing by living a “modern life”. Read a review here: http://richardlouv.com/books/last-child/

20. monica says:

Hello there couple! I would strongly recommend checking out French obstetrician Michel Odent (‘The baby is a mammal’, ‘The Functions of the Orgasms’…)as for labor and Argentinian psychotherapist Laura Gutman(http://www.lauragutman.com.ar/version_english/home.html) as for maternity and upbringing.
    I’m not a mother nor I think I’ll be any time soon, yet I recently became interested on this matters and have read a couple books from each of them, I learnt a lot and loved their perspectives.

21. Claire says:

I’m not a mother, but my mother had 3 natural child births, and 1 home birth.
    A few books on her shelf are….
    ‘The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding’
    ‘Natural Family Living’ By Peggy O’mara
    ‘Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life’
    By Marshall B. Rosenberg, which I know she’s used for parenting style.