What Your Grandma Knew About Healing That You Don’t : The Renegade Health Show Episode #880

Thursday Aug 4 | BY |

Every once in a while, we give a book review when we feel like it’s worth your while…

Today, I share a book that I think is really a great investment and has some really cool information. It’s called “The Country Almanac of Home Remedies” and it’s written by our friend Brigitte Mars (and Chrystle Fielder.)

I think this reference book is a must-have for your library, but don’t take my word for it, take a look at the video and see why…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite home remedy?

1. Diana (Ohio) says:

Great question, no way to boil it down to just one. It will be interestng to see what others use, I learn SOOOO much from everyone here.

So, sauerkraut and/or parsley seems to bring our bodies back into balance when ya just don’t feel quite right, not really ill, but not up to par either.

We are NEVER without what I call our anti-epidemic formula that I “brew” up. It is based on the old 4 Thieves formula. At first signs of an illness like colds or flu, or if we have been exposed to someone ill, we will run for the anti-epidemic. Has things like garlic, comfrey, wormwood..etc

Upper respiratory woes, we drink what I call mullein tea. I used to get bronchitus (sp?) several times a year until I started using mullein tea and anti-epidemic. Mullein, marshmallow, mint…etc

stressful times call for holy basil, valarian, lavender or chamomile.

nurishing, we use a lot of nettle and rosehip, along with fresh food and herbs of course.

being around crowds, especially in winter when everyone is sick, we will mist our sinuses with colloidal silver as a preventative measure.

good old cranberry juice for any urinary issue.

NO house should be without charcoal. So many applications from illness, to eating the wrong foods or even tainted foods, to topical issues like bee stings and bug bites.

Let us not forget something as basic as SLEEP.
    Most are sleep deprived anyway, but its a time when your body can heal and repair itself and kind of reboot if need be. I usually have a much better handle on things after a much needed nap or a good nights sleep. SUNSHINE AND EXERCISE rank right up there too, basic necessities of life, and all are FREE!!!!!

Wow, I could go on and on, but these are some of the things we have settled into because they work for us, and since I can make or grow almost everything, it’s affordable and fun, not to mention educational and grounding.

Love to all
    Diana (Ohio)

2. Dia says:

Lavender as oil, water; it is just so versatile. Clay, another go to remedy. There are other essential oils I use eucalyptus, tea tree and any pick of one of the citrus oils. Soaking in the tub in an herbal bath or essential oils has been very effective for skin rashes, menstrual pain.

For colds, flu – liquids, soups, tea and hot juice. The hot juice is from my childhood. My mom gave us hot orange juice. Sometimes she added honey or whiskey. I just find the hot liquid going down my throat is so soothing. I know this is a raw forum, what can I say it works for me.

I know there are others. Usually when something happens I go to the ones that immediately pop into my head and then as time goes on, I remember, OH, I can use that to treat this.

3. just/jesus says:

In the beginning of a cold; PEROXIDE in the ears and fresh squeezed lime, honey and fresh garlic 3xday. I a trying oil pulling-20 minutes!
    Old time coffee enemas, Epson salts and peroxide bath for detoxing and Baking soda bath for relaxing. Praying, not much talk about it these days but it always works!!

4. Lilija says:

For getting rid of colds – a bit of squeezed garlic, few drops of olive oil and bit of honey, mixed all together in homogeneous paste. That should be greased in nostrils, as often as comfortable.
    Usually in two days I’m ok again. I haven’t been using any other nasal spray or drops for years.

5. Barbara says:

Not sure if this would be a home remedy – but we always have colloidal silver on hand. We’ve had it clear up lots of different things – including sick cats (3 already on antibiotics from the vet – the other ones that got the colloidal silver got well faster)
    Will also use echinacea with it and more vit C (whole food one)
    When fighting a virus – do all of the above plus zeolites and go off all nuts (high arginine can help virus grow)
    We rarely get sick – but if something seems to be starting up – we go into action quick and rarely get the full-blown cold. Yeah!!
    And we keep activated charcoal on hand at all times too. Great for upset tummy! The best.

6. Mist says:

Salt (sodium chloride, sea salt, table salt) for burns.

Treat burns immediately by soaking in brine or applying a paste of salt and water and cover with wet cloth. Minor burns will take about 10 minutes; more severe burns will take much longer and require changing the brine or paste and cloth periodically.

The burn will heal quickly, and the pain is kept to a minimum.

Other salts can also be used: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), potassium chloride or potassium bicarbonate.

7. margaret p. says:

a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar for hicups,
    any vinegar will do.

8. Dukh Niwaran says:

Apple cider or white vinegar baths–1/2 cup to cup and a half when feel like coming down with something like flu or a cold or when feel achy. Epsom salt baths or foot soaks for inflammation after exercising. Baking soda or sea salt baths for detoxing. White clay for powder under arms and to put on bites or stings to draw out poison.
    Castor oil plasters to draw out toxins.

9. Annie says:

oil of oregano for EVERYTHING

10. Jenn says:

Nettle tea(with local raw honey and sometimes other spices/herbs) for allergies. I get a big patch every spring from local organic farm and use some fresh but dry the rest.

Crushed cloves or strong clove tea(as a mouthwash) for tooth pain.

Apple cider vinegar in a hair rinse for super silky clean hair, coconut oil for most skin irritations or simple healing needs.

A paste of Adolph’s meat tenderizer and water to use on spider or bee stings. Other brands may work as well but as a kid this is what my mom’s Dr said to use.

Corn silk tea for a natural diuretic(fitting it is in season here in the summer when I am most bloated from the heat).

11. Faye says:

Any chance you could interview Mars on the show about her book? It sounds fascinating.

12. mary says:

I give people hot raw honey and fresh lemon juice for sore throats. It works.

13. Sue says:

Cough syrup: Chop one onion, cover with honey. Stir to make sure onion is coated. Let sit about 4 hours, until it becomes much more liquidy. Take as much as needed as often as you want since this is not a prescription medicine!

14. Liz says:

Have to agree with Diana (post #1) on the charcoal. We’ve used it for awhile now when someone eats something that makes them sick. But one of my sons was bitten on the arm by a brown recluse. We made a poultice of activated charcoal & water. He didn’t stay on top of it the 1st day so it got worse. The next day I loaded him up with some of the capsules & told him to re-apply about every 30 minutes. He only did this 2 or 3 times, but within a week it was pretty much healed.