If I Can’t Shop at Trader Joe’s, Where Should I Go? : Friday’s Week in Review #876

Friday Jul 29 | BY |

Today, I’m trying something new…

I thought it might be a good idea to close out the week in Friday’s video with a wrap up of everything that has happened on the blog.

This week, many of you assumed that my article about Trader Joe’s meant that you shouldn’t shop there. In this video, I clear that confusion up, talk about Ashley’s Raw Food Challenge, how to manage all the info about toxicity and more.

Your question of the day: What do you think of the weekly wrap up? Want to see one next week? Yes or no?

1. Ryan says:

Kev…u are absolutely right about whole foods being expensive…I believe here their organic dandelions (which I have growing) were $3.99lb which to me is a bit much…as with many of their supplements, foods, drinks etc. are also expensive…I dont shop their too much anymore for facts & of course some companies do produce good quality products and sell them at reasonable prices but idk how whole foods prices…id rather build myself fantastic soil and grow my own food & herbs…

2. JT says:

I liked today’s friday recap. I didn’t get to watch every single video, I saw some, but I was able to read the articles/blogs every day. This video let me know if I should go back and catch a video or two. I appreciate your common sense approach to nutrition and keeping everything in balance. Really digging the written articles and Ashley’s honesty is refreshing. Love that a lot.

3. Chandra says:

I liked the re-cap and agree with JT on all points!

4. Sophia says:

Everyone – you have to check out this video about trader joes! It rocks:

5. Wendy says:

Recap was nice. On a good week when I caught your posts most days, it would be repetitive. But, on a busier week when I missed most days, it would be nice.

6. maca says:

Recap is a great idea, especially if you can cover some points that were raised in the comments.

7. Paul says:

Loved the recap! Great idea!

I mostly shop Costco, Sam’s, and Fresh Market. When available, I shop farmer’s markets.

8. Maria says:

I liked it. I haven’t been on the the renegadehealth in a while so I haven’t read any of the material or watched the videos. The recap allowed me to know what of interest there is to read or watch…In sum, it made me know what is going on and not feel so lost (not that I ever felt lost)but it would take me a while to catch up.:) Thank you for the very helpful wrap up!

9. Mary says:

I liked it a lot. I would like to see you continue it. Thanks.

10. Lynn says:

Kevin, love the wrap up. It lets me know what you think about what we think…Huh? Well you know what I mean. Without responding to each post, it gives a new view to those topics you covered that week. Oh, yeah, got my new blender and glad to get back into the smoothies. I am feeling good and have lost abt. 14 lbs. Nice to not have to count calories or feel I have to plan and be rigid. I also have ordered a juicer, so will enjoy getting started on a juice plan. Not sure how to see Ashley’s posts, but will find them. Appreciate your pragmatic approach. xxoo Lynn

11. Sue says:

I liked the recap Kev… It was a busy week for me and I didn’t have much time for anything but work and my pets. So, the re-cap was perfect. Thanks for all you share.

12. Rocio/justjesus says:

Where is Trader’s Joe?

13. Veronica says:

Kevin,

I love the recap! Keep it coming every week.

Veronica

14. tboi says:

hej , to all .. first i like to say the Friday’s rap-up is a good idea since this is Saturday and i’m catching this soooo , i can see what Ive missed … there is a guide you can download , its free called nongmoshoppinglistguide.com well just google it and many version’s popup … tryit , you will see that pretty labels can cause you to make a undesirable choices … and they show some that may be a choice for you or nott … remember your purchase is a vote for the product … if you want more mane stream items available , shop smart… love peace … tboi…never shopped in trader joes …butt sweetbay has organic products available aswell wallmart,just put on your your rosecolor shades … yo…lol…

15. Bryant says:

I liked it! 🙂

16. Yvonne says:

My vote is for the re-cap.

17. Barb says:

I like the recap and the preview of the upcoming week. My vote is to continue.

18. Barbara says:

love the recap – helps to catch up on busy weeks.

19. Margi says:

It’s a good idea for me.

20. Anna21 says:

Yes, Whole Foods is expensive. I get their sales circular & focus on buying what’s on sale. I also hope that they are using small family farmers as they claim, and that the farmers are getting a good price. I agree that Famer’s Markets are the way to go.

As for dandelion, it is soooo easy to grow dandelion, as well as lettuce, kale, swiss chard, beets. They don’t really take up a lot of room, and even if someone only has a small balcony, they can be grown in 5 gallon container. As for lettuce, I can grow 3 in a 10 inch shallow pot. You can also grow veggies vertically to save even more space. Or just grow sprouts in your kitchen if you con’t have outdoor space. Just think about what you will do with all the money you save.

21. Rachel says:

re-cap is great!

22. tieta crerar says:

yes I like it

23. Angela says:

Brilliant idea!! I also liked the idea of covering points that may have been raised in the comments as well, that is if time permits….Thank you Kevin for your Down To Earth personality!!! Some people above forgot to answer the Question before making their own comments/observations????

24. Anne says:

Great idea which gives a balanced approach and also allows you to review some points if you see a trend in the comments.

Keep it up!
    Thanks

25. Dena says:

I 2nd the recap Friday! :o)

26. Lea says:

Yes, recap.

27. Ben says:

Let’s see how next weeks recap goes. Keep it coming and please continue to present summations that explain ‘why’ the content exists, not just ‘what’ the content was. I would suggest offing more objective resources to guide the discussions brought up by the content, rather than closing a discussion with assertions.

Didn’t care for the week forward summary. Little value in this context.

The fact that you were completely at ease doing this recap, makes it totally worth watching. Kudos

28. YES it’s supergreat!!!!!!

29. Jean says:

Love the recap,even though I read/saw most of it, was a good review.

30. Sarah says:

Like the recap idea. But I will say in general I do not listen to the videos (this is the first one in a long long time), since it’s much easier for me, especially when I am at work to just scan the blog posts for the information I need. So because of that, I missed out on all the videos on toxicity in your home, despite the fact that I think that topic is useful to me. So those are my two cents!

31. Sandy Jo says:

The weekly recap is great! Thanks!

32. Vicki says:

HI Kev,

Love the recap. Had some connection problems this week and it worked out well.
    Trader Joe’s is an experience when in the area, but I enjoy Whole Foods much more.
    Dandelion greens at Fresh Market are reasonably priced.

Thanks for all you do!

33. Raynora says:

Loved the recap…. My only comment is not to defend Whole Foods prices- the “whole paycheck” joke is popular for a good reason; just to say that they have better and more abundant organic produce than anywhere else where I live. I did not follow you saying that the WF in Berkely has only a few organic items. The ones around here have lots of organic produce.

34. Sarah says:

Kevin, yes I really enjoyed your recap of the week’s topics. And, I wholeheartedly agree with JT on loving yours and Annmarie’s down to earth approach to nutrition and health. Your comment on goji berries vs say blueberries is right on. I choose to look more in detail about nutrition on each of these berries, but you are right…we can grow many of these berries in our own backyards! Away with that manicured lawn!

35. Zoe says:

I like the recap concept. It seems to me to be geared toward highlighting key points and directing readers to follow up on missed articles or videos. That is a good thing 🙂

36. Elizabeth Williams says:

LOVE this idea of doing a recap, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

37. Bob says:

Enjoyed your re-cap. I wasn’t able to get to all the posts, but it gives me an opportunity to go check out anything I missed if your comments pique my interest.

38. Jos says:

Love the recap – great idea !

39. Nick says:

Recap is ok why no link nickel info

40. Jen says:

Yes! And agree with all of JT’s points.

One suggestion – would be helpful to include links to the key things you mentioned in your recap (maybe just list them under the video). Keep them coming.

41. AG says:

Like the recap!

42. keg says:

yes, I like the recap.

43. Barbara W. says:

Yes on weekly wrap-up video!

44. Kathy says:

I’ve been watching for well over a year, but this is my first comment.

I also liked the recap. Not only will it help those who missed something decide if they should go back and check it out, but will help jog the memories of those who did watch, too.

“I also liked the idea of covering points that may have been raised in the comments as well, that is if time permits” I agree!

“One suggestion – would be helpful to include links to the key things you mentioned in your recap (maybe just list them under the video).” I agree with this also!

Thanks for presenting so many different perspectives, and letting viewers / readers decide for themselves which to pursue!

45. LynnW says:

I like the recap idea, but would like a text version of it to be available – easier to scan than to find time to sit through 8 minutes of talk (esp. at work).

As to not finding organics at Berkeley WF, you guys should have moved to Austin after all, where 80% of WF produce is organic. We have good farmers’ markets, too. Personally, I thought the Berkeley Bowl was kind of smelly 🙂

46. Sue says:

I like the recap idea! Whether I got to all the articles sent throughout the week or not, I like the idea of putting things together!

47. Velda says:

Like the recap. Also like the emails you send out with all of the week’s videos in it. That gives me a chance to make sure I haven’t missed any …. and I don’t want to miss any 🙂 Thank you!!

48. Velda says:

Kevin – you are funny using your mother like that 🙂 …. Where do you get your hair minerals tested?

49. Karen says:

I liked your recap. I’m always grateful for the time you give us. Thanks.

50. Nadia says:

Liked the recap!

51. Linda says:

Liked the recap. Maybe you could clarify any issues if several posters have similar questions or misunderstandings. I notice that almost every video or post has comments that show they did not pay close attention to the whole thing.

52. Carolyn says:

Yes, loved the the recap. I don’t always get to the e-mail every day.

53. Melissa says:

I like this recap!

54. Ellen says:

Love the recap idea!!
    I have not been able to be as regular with listening this last year. I used to be able to listen to almost every episode, so the summary is VERY helpful. It encourages me to go back and listen, but to prioritize which ones apply most to my personal situation.

Also thank you very much for the interview series on non-toxic home and especially bedroom alternatives, and strategies. I look forward to writing these into my health goals knowing there is a source of healthful products out there to make a difference in removing toxins from our homes. I agree whole heartedly with never buying a new home, I have seen how this has affected a family member and her young son. They moved in to their brand new house when she was late in her pregnancy and their little so is often sick through the winter and they are dealing with candida for this 2 yr old boy, (contributed by other factors too of course). I will not complain about our old home so much. 😉

Keep up the good shows!!

55. Frankie says:

Please continue the recap on Fridays. It is very valuable!

56. SarahS says:

Yes, love the recap! Thank you. Great advice, too! Just relax and take one small step at a time. Worrying and trying to do everything at once is stressful and counterproductive.