More Questions on Fermented Foods (Including, What Is a Culture Starter) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #860

Thursday Jul 7 | BY |

We’ve had a heapload of questions about fermented foods in the last week or so…

I’ve hardly been able to keep up with them and this is the 5th fermented foods post we’ve done in about 8 days.

I guess that means you’re interested!

Anyway, today, I answer questions about amasake – a japanese fermented food, what exactly a culture starter is, how much alcohol chichas tend to have – when you make them, and a few questions on juicing – including which juicer we use and my favorite recipe.

Your question of the day: How long have you done a juice fast for?

1. a says:

7 days …

2. Mel says:

Hey Kevin, Keep the videos the same length, but just answer the title question FIRST. That way the ppl who want a quick answer to just that question are happy and the rest of us get to listen to the other cool things.

cheers, M

3. Cindy says:

I’ve never done a juice fast, but I did a water fast once for 6 days. All I can say is “Never again.” I made myself so sick & lost so much weight that I was anorexic looking for months afterwards.

4. Sarah says:

OK! When I lived in England I did my herbalist’s “Deep Tissue Cleanse”. She is an herbalist who studied with Dr. Richard Schulze and she is also a colonic irrigationist. And, she is a devout vegan. Her deep tissue cleanse consists of 10 days of juice fasting and colon irrigation every day for the 10 days! I actually did this on two separate occasions with her. I have to say, you “see God” on this one – it is intense!! I don’t really recommend it becasue though I felt very light and certainly cleared out, I ultimately developed some pretty severe nutrient deficiencies. Now, in working with people on detoxification, I would never recommend soemthing like this unless the person has a really strong life force because it does not support phase 2 liver detoxification (save for the colonics). You need amino acids for that.I have seen some people get into trouble for being too toxic and going on a juice fast.

5. Cheryl Berry says:

I was on a fresh juice fast for 6 days and felt fantastic! I lost 6 lbs. Thinking about doing another one.
    Loving being alive,
    Cheryl

6. Yvonne says:

Hi Kevin:

The longest juice fast I’ve done is five days and I loved it. I continued working and felt great. I did a three-day water fast and will never do that again. It was not a good experience and I don’t feel there was any benefit compared to the juice fast.

Keep up the great work.

7. Brenda says:

7 days, it has been awhile.

8. Pam (in Los Angeles) says:

You’ve got the same combination of blenders that I have: A Tribest P200 for small jobs & for portability in its carrying case; a Vitaix (purchased 1994, still working fine) for big jobs. Just last week, we purchased an additional Vitamix (a new one, with improved technology, stronger motor, & bigger capacity than the the old Commercial 4000), but have been too busy to do more than take it out of the box! Meanwhile, we’re still doing green smoothies in that old one that looks like a stainless steel blender sitting on top of a toaster 🙂 !

9. Terry says:

My husband and I did a juice fast for 21 days with Dr.Gary Tunsky. WOW!! It was very intense, but it changed our lives, we now eat live/raw, organic, we get our own meat and eggs and eat them sparingly. We juice daily, we got hooked, yum…… I’ve lost 80 lbs.(in 1 1/2 yrs.) and still loosing!

10. hyesun says:

i agree with cindy (#3). i’ve mentioned this before – that i did a 21 day water fast at true north about 4 years ago and it completely ruined my health. still haven’t recovered. i was way too toxic. never again. i think it put me in really bad adrenal fatigue and i don’t think i should fast as long as i have adrenal fatigue. oh well, live and learn, right?

11. Sara&Sebastian says:

I’ve done Jason Vale’s 7lbs in 7days juicing retreat twice. It works really well and often carries a lot of momentum well past the seven days. First time I lost 9lbs in two weeks and then carried on losing weight more slowly, second time lost 10lbs in seven days. You do lots of exercise there too, which I guess keeps your metabilosm from dropping. That said, I guess the term “juice fast” is not that specific…. ! Keep this coming Kevin – it’s been very useful

12. Nihacc says:

A one day juice fast.

13. Lori says:

5 day juice fast. No fruit, veggies and greens mostly from the garden, had lots of them to use up. Did it repeatedly for a couple of months during the week, not on weekends. Felt good but lost to much weight during that time.

14. Anna21 says:

My cat is loud too. Can’t hear myself think sometimes lol. Anyway, I enjoy the videos and articles. As for the video lengths, you can mix it up. Shorter videos for lite topics, & longer videos for heavier topics.

15. Live says:

I am currently on day 64 of a 92 day juice feast. My last one was 45 days 20 years ago. It is intense and I am happy I am doing this. I’m in my 65th year in this lifetime. Blessings and cheers to good health.

16. Violet says:

one day, and massive heartburn set in. same with a raw-food diet, total heartburn! 50% raw is the max i can handle!