How to Make Chicha de Yuca (Or Yucca Chicha) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #859

Wednesday Jul 6 | BY |

This is the last of the chicha episodes…

We hope you’ve made either the corn chicha or the quinoa chicha by now, but if you haven’t and we still haven’t twisted your arm enough, here’s a chicha from the jungle that uses yuca (or cassava) as a base.

It’s delicious, so be sure to give it a shot and not be so timid about letting foods ferment in your cabinet. LOL!

Your question of the day: Which fermented chicha looked the best to you? Quinoa, Corn or Yuca? Did you make any of them? If so, what did you think?

Here’s the fermented food recipe:

Chicha de Yuca (or Yucca Chicha)

2 Yuca (cassava) – medium size
1 Sweet Potato or Yam
1 Ripe Plantain (or banana)
16-18 Cups Water

Bring your water to a boil. As you wait for the water, peel the yucca and sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Place them in the boiling water and let them cook for about 20-30 min. or until soft. You can tell when they are done when you can put a fork in them.

Remove from the heat and let cool down until luke warm. Scoop out the root veggies and place them in a blender with the plantain and a little bit of the boiled water. Blend on high speed. Then mix the yuca paste with the same liquid that it was cooked in. Next, slowly mix in your culture starter. Poor mixture into air tight containers and let ferment for at least 24 hours to up to 5 days depending on how strong you like it.

Kev and Ann

1. HipLibby says:

What do you think of amasake? If you are not familiar, it is a fermented brown rice drink. It is sweet and completely delicious!! However, I know that at some point the fermentation is stopped by boiling (?? I think…). Anyhoo, I guess my questions are 1. Are there any nutritional benefits to drinking amasake, or does it fall into the category of dessert, and therefore a blue moon food?

2. Betsy says:

I missed the other fermenting episodes – so what is the culture starter? Do you get it at a health food store? Is it like what someone would make cheese with?
    And then – do you eat this like a soup? What is the consistency when it is fermented and then do you store it in the fridge? And how long does it last?

3. I like the sound of the Yucca one but will probably make the Quinoa one first as I don’t have easy access to culture starter.
    Questions: If raw Yucca contains cyanide, where does it go in the cooking process (considering you use both the solid and liquid components in the chicha).
    And. How alcoholic are these fermented drinks? Lots of workplaces have a zero alcohol tolerance nowadays so I’m wondering if it would show up at all.

4. Dee says:

What else do they do with Yucca?

5. steve says:

What is the culture starter?
    Is it just a drink?

6. Paula says:

yes, please explain what the culture starter is (what to look for in the store), and what is the final consistency ?

7. sharon says:

I did a simple quinoa one (soaked the quinoa overnight and didn’t cook it) using Body Ecology Culture Starter. It was fermented in less than 24 hours, and tastes great…like liquid yogurt. Without the cinnamon and cloves and sugar, I can drink this either as is (sour) or add flavorings and sweeteners if I want.

8. Julie says:

I made the quinoa chicha two days ago, except that I added starter and used honey instead of sugar. It seems like it needs another day to ferment, because it still tastes sweet. I, too, wondered about the consistency. Although I strained it, there is still a thicker portion that settled to the bottom. Do I shake it, or just drink the thin top portion?

9. Thomas says:

Actually Kevin, you have yucca mixed up with yuca. They are two different plants.

Yucca: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca

Yuca: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava

The yuca you have is also called “cassava” (or manioc).

It’s what tapioca is made from.
    The wikipedia entry on cassava explains the variation and results of the cyanide in the root.

“Cassava roots and leaves should not be consumed raw because they contain two cyanogenic glucosides, linamarin and lotaustralin. These are decomposed by linamarase, a naturally-occurring enzyme in cassava, liberating hydrogen cyanide (HCN). Cassava varieties are often categorized as either sweet or bitter, respectively signifying the absence or presence of toxic levels of cyanogenic glucosides. The so-called sweet (actually not bitter) cultivars can produce as little as 20 milligrams of cyanide (CN) per kilogram of fresh roots, whereas bitter ones may produce more than 50 times as much (1 g/kg). Cassavas grown during drought are especially high in these toxins. A dose of 40 mg of pure cassava cyanogenic glucoside is sufficient to kill a cow. Excess cyanide residue from improper preparation is known to cause acute cyanide intoxication, and goiters, and has been linked to ataxia (a neurological disorder affecting ability to walk). It can also cause severe calcific pancreatitis in humans, leading to chronic pancreatitis.

Societies that traditionally eat cassava generally understand some processing (soaking, cooking, fermentation, etc.) is necessary to avoid getting sick.

Symptoms of acute cyanide intoxication appear four or more hours after ingesting raw or poorly processed cassava: vertigo; vomiting; collapse. In some cases death may result within one or two hours.”

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hey Thomas, thanks for this. Some spell it yucca and others yuca. I do mention that it is cassava in the description. I’ll change the headline and the recipe to eliminate confusion!

Have you tried the banana yucca fruit? Amazing!

10. Thomas says:

As a side note:
    It’s the 100th birthday of the “re-redisovery” of Machu Picchu.
    Some nice photos at:
    🙂

11. These are great ideas, what about saurkraut, any suggestions. I live in Belize and its hard to find the necessary equipment. I would also like to know how to make Coconut Kefir as I live on an Island full of coconut trees, which means I drink coconut water daily.

12. kt_mm says:

mmm, i LOVE cinnamon, so i’m thinking Quinoa. also, i like that it did not use a starter. omg! Ann-Marie your hair is SO long. if you decide to cut it, may i be so bold as to suggest a donation to Locks of Love? i can’t wait to try out the chichas but i too wonder about the starter. i didn’t see all episodes, so i may have missed it.

13. Jasmine says:

you said ferment it in a cool, dark place. Doesn’t it need to be fermented at room temperature or warmer – 70 – 90 degrees?

14. Patti says:

I so love your vids. I will try quinoa first, because I usually have that around. Yuca or Yucca would not be something I could find easily here, as far as I know. You are so right about coconut kefir being a pain. Most times the coconuts are bad, so you waste a lot. I wonder if you could just do this one out of sweet potatoes and perhaps plantain. Why not, I could try it.