Why Buy A Yogurt Maker? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #858

Tuesday Jul 5 | BY |

Today, I’m going to do some video Q & A…

This question came in from Roni the other day and since we’re talking fermented foods, I wanted to address it now.

Here it is…

“I would like to purchase a yogurt maker but I read some reviews which stated poor results with making yogurt from almond milk..to your knowledge does almond milk (store bought) work with a yogurt maker? (the starter and the appliance to produce the yogurt)…? Thanks so much!!”
– Roni

Here’s my video answer right now…

Your question of the day: Do you like the shorter format for these Q & A videos? Yes or no?

Here’s a link for the yogurt maker (click here) we have.

Here’s a link for yogurt starter (click here.)

Here’s a link for real raw almonds (click here) as well.

1. Jasmine says:

I like the longer version. More questions answered. more information gained. thx

2. Annette says:

The short format is great….especially for busy days! 🙂

3. Tamikko says:

I love all the info in the longer version but will usually (if busy) bookmark to watch at a later time. When shorter I’ll watch it right away. Or when my kids are done eating and I can pay attention 🙂
    So yes I do like the shorter but would like more questions answered if possible. Of course I want everything 😀

4. Veronika says:

No, I like the longer version. As the first person said, I like getting more info. I think 2-4 questions per video is good.

5. anonymoose says:

What is exactly is the difference between kefir and yogurt? Compared to yogurt, isn’t it just a bit runnier, and a bit more sour?

I’ve read Kefir is healthier because it has yeast, and more probiotics, but is there any reason why I couldn’t just add a Kefir starter kit into my existing yogurt maker batch?

Currently, I have a yogurt maker that I use with goat milk/coconut milk and a blend of starter active cultures taken from different yogurts. Can a kefir/yogurt blend be made since they appear to be so similar? Or is the fermentation process totally different that mixing bugs won’t work?

6. Malvin says:

No, I like the long videos better. I actually became your fan because I’m too lazy to read all the articles available.

7. Lilith says:

I like the shorter format!
    It will also get more focused.
    The long format takes forever to watch, and I always fall behind, because I don’t have time to watch them, and then it takes forewer to try to “catch up” again…

Maybe you could add in a “chit chat/what’s happening” session now and then/once a week to do all the smalltalk around your life, that is not strictly Q&A.

I don’t read the articles eather… it is just too much of everything! I have lost track of it all…

I think it is time you rethink the blog concept and redo it as a news site. it is just too much to take in as one stream now!

8. Eva says:

I like the shorter version. I actually stopped looking at the videos a while back because it was so time consuming. So I definetly hope you stick whit this shorter version.

9. Eva says:

BTW, if people want more questons answered, couldn’t you do a few shorter videos each day? That way we who prefer the shorter one can select the one that interests us the most and the others can watch them all…

10. Paul says:

I like the short format. Thanks

11. Leam says:

More questions answered at one time is great. Sometimes the intro in the video is a bit long before any questions are answered. Just a thought.

12. I like the longer version

13. Deb says:

Your Q&A videos are my favorite things that you provide. The more questions that you answer, the more I learn. If you want to make the videos shorter, perhaps you could pare down the intro and conclusion. Alternatively, you could do the short format more frequently, but you’d probably have to eliminate other things (like family vacations?). Whatever you decide, please know that I greatly appreciate all that you do to keep us informed.

14. Tammy says:

More questions answered is better–so longer version. As stated above, intro can be too long as well as your answers can be repetitive. If I missed the point, can rewind a bit and watch again so no need to reiterate several times (just a suggestion for time saving as well as being more concise). We appreciate so many of your videos for the knowledge, experience and incite you bring to us. Thanks!

15. shine says:

i like the longer vids too as others say more q and a and more information.where is the best place to ask questions ?

16. Dee says:

I like the longer version, but like the idea of asking questions that are on the same topic.

About yogurt maker, bought one and never got it to work properly. I used raw almond milk, but everytime I tried, what I got was not yogurt and ended up throwing it out. I guess I need to get rid of the yogurt maker as I am not using it.

17. Jim Dee says:

Under 5 min is super!

BTW, Rhio (at rawfoodinfo.com) has a great raw almond yogurt recipe. (It may be for sale in one of her books — not sure.) She made it at our house once & everyone went flippin’ crazy over it. (I’m not a fan of yogurt myself, so I didn’t pay close attention to her technique — but it *really* wowed a lot of people in Pittsburgh at the time.)

18. Cindy says:

I like the longer versions for the same reasons everyone else has said, more information at once.

19. Leslie Riley says:

I like the shorter videos, one or related topics.

I used to make my yogurt in the stereo cabinet, but my husband worried about the electronics. I sometimes preheat (to warm) my electric oven and turn on the light, but the last two times I have actually put the yogurt into the dishwasher (after finishing a load) and it holds the heat nicely. I am currently straining my latest batch to make Greek yogurt.

Thanks, Kevin!

20. Janielle says:

I like the shorter version so I can look at the topic and decide if it is something I want to watch. I like the idea of a five minute limit with one or more closely related topics.

21. Karen says:

I choose whatever format you like, Kevin, since you are so very kind to keep giving us all this wonderful info!

22. Catherine Meade says:

I like the longer videos! Can’t get too much of you and AnnMarie. 🙂

23. Mary Harris says:

I like the shorter version. Please try to keep the articles shorter as well.I just have too much to keep on. Thank you for all the information you provide. It is so helpful and it very much appreciated- thanks again.I am following Donna Gates’ program at the moment. My diet is fermented foods and drinks all day long. Her program is very good for cleansing. I make coconut milk kefir which is delicious!!! I add stevia and banana flavoring and fiber powder. I also use maple flavoring with the stevia or just toffee stevia. Yummy!!!!!

24. Aranor says:

Generally, I prefer watching videos (or listening to audio more than reading articles, so I’m all for the vids– short or long. Shorter ones certainly give us more time in our day to do other things, but I enjoy listening to the longer vids while doing other things around the house.

Perhaps 2 or 3 short videos on the same webpage would be an option that satisfies both opinions?

25. Catherine says:

I like the shorter ones. If you want to answer more questions, it would be better to make a separate short video for each question. I don’t usually watch them at all unless I’m interested in the question you’ve mentioned in the email, because I don’t have time to keep up with all your videos and blog posts.

26. tim says:

it’s this viewers opinion that all web casts are great . as other responses go sometimes time is short so the 5 mins. are preferred. but i like to see the longer ones because your so much more relaxed and we see more of your personalty and annmarie’s. i see my friends when i’m watching. and i look forward to the info provided and have learned so much. because of renegade i gave my self a excalibur 3900b. next a vitamix. per your recommendation to must haves.and please don’t edit , that’s what makes it fun . i see two people in love, in love what they are doing. i can’t leave out johnny 5’s guests appearances ether … lov tboi… peace…

27. AG says:

I like the shorter version.
    Thanks for all the good info!

28. Basia says:

What about a bit longer–add a couple minutes and address two issues rather than one.

29. margot says:

short!

30. suzanne says:

Short please. I just can’t keep up with all thats coming plus other blogs. A short video for each ? would be nice, then I could choose.
    Thank you for the hard work you do for us. I know that you have done your homework when informing us. I love the articles. I can read faster than watch a video.

31. Cherie says:

More q & A and shorter intro. Also please take a break from articles on the week end. I do not have time to read them on the week ends. Thanks for all you do.

32. Cherie says:

Is a culture starter and probiotics the same?

33. Jeff says:

Actually I’d rather read your Q&A unless your showing me how to do something.

34. Fern Rancourt says:

Good idea to make a shorter version! I like it and I thank you for giving your time and expertise so generously!

35. Lana says:

Due to Verizon changing our Account for Internet service via 4G – we now are allowed only 5 GB of Bandwidth – so I LIKE SHORT VERSIONS – thanks Kev/AnnMarie

36. Laura says:

Surprisingly, because I’m likely one of the 5 minute drop-offs, I actually like the longer, more questions answered format. I do agree that the intro can get long sometimes, IMO no need to explain yourself so thoroughly, just go for it!

Yogurt question: I’ve made almond yogurt with a starter and thickish homemade almond milk in my dehydrator and it came out delicious but took much longer than I expected (48 hrs!) and the yield of actual yogurt was very small after draining the whey (which I used in green smoothies – “waste not want not”). I’ve seen some youtube videos where there is no starter used and the milk is allowed to naturally ferment (like clobbered dairy milk). Would that really work and have you tried it? The ones I’ve seen seem to have no whey and look fairly creamy. By the whey (heehee). I used maple syrup as my sweetener which made the yogurt a kind’a ugly color.

37. Laura says:

Correction: 24 hrs just felt like 48…

38. Jeanne Schmelzer says:

Unlike most people above, I like it written out. The main reason is that I have dial-up and I can’t do videos. The second reason is that I want to save some articles and an ability to copy and paste and print them out to save for later is great. I agree that this is a wonderful font of information for us and I appreciate all the effort that you take to give it to us.

39. Janet says:

I like the idea of having a mix of long and short videos. I do like the longer ones but sometimes I get bogged down with too many emails as the week progresses. If you did your longest ones say on Monday and Thursday and the rest were shorter you might be able to please both crowds.

40. Rob says:

Yes, Short is good.

41. Moe says:

Longer is better.

42. Anne says:

For anonymoose (comment #5)

Kefir is indeed probably much more beneficial than Yogurt (although both are good) but is a totally different process where the substance (milk, goats milk, coconut water) doesn’t have to be heated (or if heated only to body temperature) and can just be left on the counter without any heat. It ferments in 24-48 hours and is more of a drinking type of consistency.

The best thing to make Kefir is to buy (or get from someone who is making kefir) kefir grains. It’s either free or very inexpensive and if you care for them properly they will provide you with kefir indefinitely. Note however that Kefir milk grains are different from Kefir Water grain because of the different strain of bacteria and yeasts. The milk grains are used for dairly products and the water grains can be used to make kefir out of coconut water, or sugared water which ware very beneficial as well.

All the best
    Anne

43. rasa says:

I like the longer version

44. Velda says:

I like the longer videos. More information. I don’t always have time to read the articles you write, but when I am at work, I can pull the video up and listen to it while I’m working. So, I vote longer video!! Thanks, Kevin

45. jackie says:

I agree with a few comments above that the blogs/articles are getting to be too time consuming. I have Natural News and Mercola and etc. to read and am getting a bit overwhelmed by it all. It would be nice if you took the weekends off and only sent info during the week; that way we could catch up on the weekends if we missed something, rather than just not watching or reading it, which I’m starting to do now.

46. Brenda says:

I agree with some of the previous comments that ther could be a mix of short and longer videos (alternated maybe). I think a video 5-8min. to answer 2or 3 questions is good.
    Articles/emails sent out on Mon.-Fri. only.
    Thanks fo your info.
    Brenda

47. dusty mackay says:

I actually prefer the articles. 4 adults & 3kids in our house (sharing common spaces) I feel like reading is better for me as I can tune out the distractions; but not hear your voice without interjecting me inot other’s spaces..
    Thanks for your hard work and great info that you share..

48. Nancy says:

Question of the day? YES like shorter video format

49. Marti says:

After reading the comments, suggestion: Target your readers with videos of only one topic each–you do present succinctly, very refreshing. With this a la carte menu of topics, each can choose according to interest/need. More organized, allows those with limited time a way to prioritize.

Eating your advice in small bites improves digestion.

50. JT says:

Written out helps those who like getting the info on our phones. Love getting the recipes written out—thank you so much. But, use more than one question. If the one doesn’t pertain to you, you kinda blow off the whole video and hope for a different one tomorrow.

People can use a tablespoon of yogurt from a previous batch of yogurt as a starter! No need to constantly buy more starter. Just be sure and don’t eat out of the yogurt cup or your saliva off your spoon can ruin the whole batch.

51. JT says:

QUESTIONS ON JUICING: Which juicer do you use? Can you give us your favorite juicing recipe? Have you ever done a juice fast and for how long?

I just watched “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” and it is a good video to promote going raw, organic juicing for cleansing/healing and losing weight. We were fascinated and now juice everyday!

52. Nihacc says:

Yes, I like this sorter version. And I like home-made yoghurt as well! 🙂

53. Sanjula says:

I like the longer ones (which are still short enough which is good) better

54. Melody says:

55. noeli says:

For me, the longer version!!! love you guys:-)
    Could you perhaps one day make a show about spider veins and how to avoid them or soooth them. I am a raw foodist for a long time but getting more and more of this strange things.
    Thanks a lot, you are so inspiering

56. Jennette says:

I prefer the shorter version due to my time constraints. As previously mentioned, 3-4 videos covering different topics, on the web page would be good as everyone would have the choice of which one was relevant to them.

57. Debra DeWeese says:

Variety — I like variety! Short for weekdays, long for weekends….
    So appreciate all you are doing for all of us and the planet!

58. rawtothecore says:

i like short

59. luv life says:

shorter is better when searching archives its easier to find specifics and not have to listen to other stuff to get to the bit that you originally were looking for. Don’t get me wrong, these Q and As are brilliant and the more knowledge and reinforcements are fantastic, but time is money these days and when looking for specific answers shorter is better.

60. marja says:

shorter and weekends off

61. Elly says:

You mentioned adding a sweetener to help ferment Almond yogurt – how much? Honey? Palm sugar?

I like both lengths of videos, and I just save anything that I don’t have time for until a better time. But for people with dial-up internet I think that the shorter videos are a huge advantage – so maybe that is the best choice.

Thank you for all your Great Information!

62. Mignon Vath says:

I am new around here, but I like the short video. I am a busy mom and usuualy only have one thing that I am researching. My time is limited to a few minutes online, so the short video works best with me.
    I really like the format of your website. I came to you from watching a YouTube video about making Almond Milk Yogurt! Great video!

63. Bernadette says:

Hello Kevin,
    I prefer the longer version – a couple of questions answered is best, especially if you can keep these questions within the same field.
    I cannot understand why people would switch off after 3 to 5 minutes. Are they interested or not??? I guess the best would be for you to clearly state which topics will be covered (all of them) and then people can decide whether to listen immediately or wait till they have 10 free minutes.
    If you keep to the shorter versions, then I would like to see three to four questions answered in three to four videos on the same day. And then one could choose what topic(s) is/are of interest and listen to that.

Thanks for listening to my input.
    Bernadette

64. I like the under-5-minute version – except for the fitness exercises. I love it when you run through, say, 5 exercises. I don’t care how long those videos take. I love learning about more things to add to my daily routines.

Thank you!
    Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

65. Andrew Casson says:

Shorter video is great! Sticking to one topic is a good idea too.

I’m going to try this almond yogurt one day.
    On a detoc right now, so might try it nexted month.
    Thanks for the info.

66. I like the shorter version.
    Cheers!

67. Cathy says:

Your long versions are short to me. You are the only one that I can keep up with since they are always under 10 minutes & often only 8. Dr. Mercola, David Wolfe and others are the ones that I can’t keep up with because they are way longer than yours. There videos are still in my inbox making me feel guilty because I want to learn but don’t have that big a chunk of time.