Foraging and Farming in the Peruvian Andes : The Renegade Health Show Episode #854

Wednesday Jun 29 | BY |

This is one of the last episodes from Peru, so be sure to enjoy it!

In this video, Annmarie and I explore some of the wild edibles as well as some cultivated foods that are eaten in Peru.

We explore the fields, the mountains and even a greenhouse in a small community about 3-4 hours away from any other city or town.

Take a look at what we’ve foraged and learned here…

Your question of the day: When was the last time your were foraging?

1. Wendy says:

Daily! Dandelions for smoothies. Chard in the front yard, rosemary in the backyard. Blackberries on a friend’s driveway.

2. Sarah says:

I am sorry to say the last time I went foraging was last night…in my refrigerator. I was foraging for something to eat. My kids are both home now and have moved back home from college and living away from home, and we now have a fridge that is completely full with…I don’t know what! So I foraged there for dinner last night! 🙂

3. MARI says:

On my walks I’m always looking for fallen Mangos or Avocados & hope i find them before the squirrels or birds! LOL In season now here in FL.
    Enjoyed the video, years ago studied the book Stalking the Wild Asparagus, was fun foraging for cattails (they tasted like a cross between cucumber & strawberries I remember) & other plants, that was up in ILL & MN. Even cooked what we found, was fun!

4. oreganol says:

I haven’t been foraging since I was a child. I used to live in a small village in the UK and in the summertime practically the whole village used to be out picking blackberries, wild strawberries and nuts. In those days there were only 3 TV channels, not Xbox and no internet, so people got out and about much more. When I go back to the village to visit these day I don’t see anyone, because they only seem to come out of their houses to get in their cars to go to somewhere.

5. sharon says:

Just being outdoors and foraging looks healthy. I just want to comment on the issue of you jeopardizing your own health to bring us health tips. I read your blog every day and appreciate all that you do. I know that sitting in front of the computer researching articles and then writing your own is not what you should be doing for optimal health. Such a contradiction…even in regard to all of us reading it. I should be outside taking a walk or sitting under a tree instead of on the computer reading health information. 🙂 Anyway, thanks for all you do.

6. Yamina says:

Last time, a month ago, I was climbing in trees full of delicious cherries, in the french country. There were three or four varieties of cherries, all very sweet, really delicious. Fortunately, I am tiny, so I could attain the highest branches, residence of hundred of noisy and fortunate birds, and had many kilos of this excellent fruit (so expensive here). We were too in a farm where the producer had cheeks of the same colour than the wonderful strawberries we had picked up, dew watering, in the fresh air of the morning. Impossible to compare those wild fruits with any others, even organic, that we can find in our super or cities markets. It remind something, forgotten, of the ancient time where people foragged in the wild, eating those wonderful fruits of earth, as nature has originally processed them. Then, the farmer conducted us to her kitchen, and ordered : “Sit down !” then placed in the middle of the table a handmade strawberry pie. I couldn’t decently refuse. She was so gentle and friendly… I had a little reminding of the wrong combination (starch/acidic fruit), but it was so delicious, with its crème anglaise, and the coffee so perfumed, that I thought : Damned all the raw diets and their gourous ! I asked her how she had made her crème anglaise. She answered, loudly laughing, that it was a powder ! She hadn’t enough time to prepare the original crème anglaise. My husband bursted into laughs, too. I was so disappointed ! Go to hell all of you, I hadn’t a doubt, her pie, with her powdering crème anglaise was gorgeous !

7. I have a secret stash of wild raspberries that I pick every fall and fill my freezer. Then I get to use them year round for smoothies, salads, and whatever else!