A Crazy (Or Not So Nuts) Traveling Health Salesman : The Renegade Health Show Episode #852

Monday Jun 27 | BY |

This week, we have about 3 more videos from our Peru archives…

We took a lot of mini-trips and experienced some pretty amazing things.

This one was just comical. (Sometimes you need to lighten it up a bit!)

In this episode, you’ll see a real, passionate traveling salesman who was selling some rather decent health products! What was even better is that since these superfoods are native to Peru, the prices were much cheaper than they are in the U.S. or anywhere else outside of South America.

Check out our fun experience here…

Your question of the day: What is the strangest thing you’ve even been sold by a traveling salesman / woman?

1. JTu says:

Traveling salesmen have been selling elixirs and
    pots and pans forever. Think Wizard of Oz , where Dorothy came upon a traveling salesman. In the Bahamas a girl was trying to sell me a comb for my hair because it was “so beautiful.” She also was relentless about wanting me to pay her to braid my long hair!

2. LOL, well I can see Peruvians are as creatives are we Mexicans! When I was traveling by bus whenever we stop people got up to sell gorditas, tacos, refrescos, pipitorias, palanquetas, etc. It’s your spanish asignment to find out what those are. But I never saw someone selling health (as you may see when you find out what those articles are LOL)

3. sans says:

the strangest sales pitch was on a plane to Germany. There was a man with broken english selling clothes for pets. Hamsters, cats, dogs, birds. Funniest looking outfits ever!

4. Barbara W. says:

Don’t recall buying anything from a traveling salesman. Just wanted to add that it’s OK if all the videos are not 100% health related they are still enjoyable and a nice break. Thanks for sharing.

5. Thomas says:

What’s next? After magic elixirs maybe they will even try to sell “longevity” to people.

Wasn’t it P.T. Barnum, the circus and sideshow man, who once said “there’s a new sucker born every day”? 🙂

6. Anne says:

Hey Kev,

Would be interested to know your symptoms when taking maca and whether it’s for any sort of maca, gold, red, black, mix. I really like the taste of maca and don’t think I suffer any negative effects from it but I fail to see any huge improvements in my energy levels.I just use it in my smoothies now but more like a flavor enhancer and bonus if it helps. Currently trying a mix of different adaptogen in a pill form (Fo Ti, Schizandra, Rhodiola, ginger, ginseng etc) and also bought some powdered ashwaganda to take for after that.

7. Anna21 says:

Maca is traditionally eaten cooked, not raw. Maca is a goitrogen (like broccoli, kale, cauliflower, spinach, arugula, strawberries, peaches & pine nuts). In traditional Peruvian cultures it is cooked to deactivate most of the goitrogens.

If you have hypothyroidism, or wish to avoid it, it would be wise to cook maca instead of eating it raw (same advice applies to all goitrogens, actually).

Consuming too many raw goitrogens (green juice, green smoothies, green powdered supplements, kale chips, cauliflower raw rice, pine nut pesto, pine nut butter, pine nut desserts, maca, etc.), can depress thyroid function. Also, eating cold/ cool/ room temperature foods can exacerbate imbalances, and cause a ‘damp’ condition in the body (mucous, low basal body temperature, etc.- from the viewpoint of Chinese medicine).

When I went raw my thyroid got much worse, but I had no idea why. All the smiling raw foodists & glowing testimonials did not clue me in to the hidden dangers of the raw food diet.

Please safeguard your health, and do not blindly follow any health dogmas. Better to practice balance in all things, as imbalances bring on diseases.

8. Janet says:

Corn, potatoes and lamb on the bus in Peru.

9. Darilyn says:

Great eye opening info Anna21(#7)…never heard anything about all that before!

10. Kuru says:

Religion, though I didn’t buy it. LOL! Fun video from the bus.

Jonny 5 is obviously glad you’re back. QUESTION (from others as well as me): What do you feed him?

11. Sharon says:

Anne, try purple maca. It’s better for women.

QOTD? I think I need to travel more! I haven’t been offered too much: watches and weed, LOL

12. casey says:

well kevin, for me this is my TV I watch, so it’s fun to see these fun things.

umm, salesman… i got sold some terrible art..

13. Josette says:

Thanks Anna21for sharing about goitrogen food. I would never have thought that strawberries, peaches and pine nuts were in that class. I eat a lot of the food listed in raw form and I have hypothyroidism. Not good!
    Kevin really good and fun videos of your trip in Peru. May be you should try to make a little research and write an article on these goitrogen foods as quite a few people these days suffer from thyroid deficiency and would be interested. Thanks
    Jos

14. Kevin, I’m loving these vids from Peru! I think EVERYthing affects our health – not just food. We always need to think about how we interact with people, how we think, the air we breathe, what we’re willing to learn, etc. I think these are totally appropriate!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

15. When I lived in Korea, a man was selling a cucumber slicer and demonstrated how to use it by cutting thinly sliced cucumbers and placing them on his face.