Juices Vs. Smoothies – Round 6 (Or So…) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #843

Tuesday Jun 14 | BY |

I say Round 6, but I’ve probably addressed this topic of juices or smoothies much more than that…

In this episode, I explain the differences between smoothies and juices (from my perspective), talk about seaweeds and where to get them, plus I talk about HCL and how to take it.

Your question of the day: What are your thoughts? Juices? Smoothies? Both?

1. Dee says:

Smoothies, partly because my vita-mix is easier to clean than the juicer. I also like smoothies in the morning for breakfast.

2. Kathleen says:

I agree-smoothies are easier to do when you do not have as much time but juice is definitely easier on the digestive system.

Kevin-would you ever consider putting your videos into text or writing articles in addition to the videos? While I enjoy the videos, I do not always have the time or capability to listen to them,I have a toddler running around most days (my grandson)and I can process text better than audio as I am more of a visual learner.

Thanks,
    Kathleen

3. dawn says:

I love both juices and smoothies but tend to make smoothies more as the juicer is a pain to clean!
    I love any kind of smoothie but every morning I make one which is 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 grapefruit and a large cup of berries and a spoon of honey…awesome wake up smoothie!

Then a green fruity smoothie for supper too!

Salad for lunch or some olives…that is my daily feast

4. Raindpg says:

I do smoothies every morning. Most of the time they have greens from my garden but sometimes I am too lazy to go outside in the rain to get them. I like adding greens to all my smoothies because it’s a great way to get all of the nutrition from greens vs eating them. I do juicing too, but not as frequently because it is too time consuming =(

5. Veronica says:

Hi Kevin,

I definitely prefer juicing over smoothies. I juice at least 1 quart of veg. juice a day, sometimes 2 qts. I feel like I get so much more nubrition when drinking juice as opposed to smoothies. I do have smoothies a couple times a week, but feel like I get plenty of greens in my juices, salads, and I do eat fruit a couple times a day.

However, my new favorite smoothie, if you want to call it that, is my high protein after work-out meal. It is 3 cups nut milk, 4 cups wild greens (lambs quarter, amaranth, dandelion, etc, whatever is growing in the yard) 2 tbsp. hemp seed, 1 tbsp. flax and 1 tbsp chia, and sweetened with stevia. Love it and love how it makes me feel – no fruit or sugar to deal with! And it lasts me all morning, so much so, that I am not too hungry when lunch time rolls around.

Veronica

6. I agree with you, Kevin.
    It’s BOTH for us!

I think juicing is important for healing the body. I have proved that this works, having done several juice fasts for different lengths of time (10 days, 30 days, and 42 days). Like you said, smoothies are great, though, because of their caloric and nutritional count.

7. Sheila says:

I love making smoothies with my Vita Mix. My current favorite is: 4 large leaves of swiss chard without the stems, 2/3 banana, little cinnamon, 10 ice cubes, 1/2 cup water or more if needed. Blend all together and if you want to make it sweeter, may add agave or stevia or whatever sweetener you like. This serves two.
    Enjoy!

8. Scott says:

Hi Kevin – I personally have a juice on an empty stomach so that the fiber-less juice can go directly to the bloodstream without having to go through the digestive process. Like you, I save smoothies for meals or big snacks.

I’ve seen some interesting research on the enzymatic activity of juices vs smoothies. Email me and I can send it to you! 🙂

9. Marg says:

I found it hard not to get too much fruit (for me) when I was doing the smoothies. I have a green juice every morning and find it really refreshing. Hopefully not too many nutrients are lost in the pulp.
    My favourite smoothie now is lettuce, tomato, garlic, onion, cucumber and parsley.

10. Carolyn Landry says:

I never juice but I have a green smoothie most days for breakfast. Not the same recipe, I mix it up a bit.

11. Ann Wooledge says:

I agree Kevin and as someone else said, I like to drink my juice first thing in the morning so all of the nutrients go straight to where they need to go. We include beet greens from our garden, beets, apples, oranges, carrots and celery – really yummy and the dogs love the pulp. Scott – I’d love to have that research if you don’t mind about the enzymatic activity. My email is annrn@wingsets.com.

Thanks!
    Ann @ Wingsets

12. semile* says:

I do neither though when i do I’ll juice,,, I think a lot of the filling feeling comes from how much is in the stomach, I think calorie-wise a juice should be similar to smoothie because the only real difference is going to be the fibre – that by definition is pretty much indigestable, although the soluble will release some…

13. Mark says:

Smoothies provide what I feel is another benefit and that is digestive health (that I did not exper. when I juiced). Besides the losing of weight due to meal replacement the fiber provided all the necessary ingredients to feel satiated and still energized. Juicing simply left me begging for more food which caused me to gain weight

14. Nihacc says:

I like both: smoothies as the-only-thing-breakfast, and juices accompanied with something else.

15. Tracey says:

Hi!

I have a juice of spinach cucumber apple lemon and ginger for breakfast after a pint of warm lemon water then I make a smoothie with banana dates, goji, maca, bee pollen, sprouts, soaked almonds, greens powder and over a pint of water. That lot takes about 3 hours to get down me but , boy, do I feel good!!!

I have beetroot, carrot and orange or carrot and celery in the afternoon and maybe a fruit smoothie before dinner. I prefer a smoothie because its easier to clean the Blendtec!!!

16. Velda says:

Well, I usually do juicing and sometimes smoothies. I will just up quite a bit and freeze it, then taken the frozen juice to work and drink it for lunch. I think calorie wise they are the same, but you don’t have the fiber with juice, which I think is good to get. But I usually have a shake in the more and night, then will have a salad or juice for lunch. On the weekend I might do smoothies. I think that sometimes I just prefer not to have the “bulk” in the smoothie, but I know it is good for you. In fact, I might do a smoothie this weekend 🙂 Thank, Kevin.

17. Pamela says:

I prefer smoothies as a quick, nutritious, yummy meal and a juice as a way to clean out/detox/heal after illness, etc.

18. marilyn says:

Hi,

I have heard that juicing in the vita mix destroys the enzymes because of the speed and heat it produces. One should use the machine for juicing, i use the Champion.

I do both but mostly the smoothies on work days and weekends are juicing.

Lyn

19. Fontrella says:

Well, this mornign I had a 36 oz green juice this morning that I juiced last night. Tomorrow I will have a green smoothie and add some protein in it for my morning meal.

I like them both and I switch them up.

20. Mary Artemis says:

the young lady may have too much acid in her diet, the classic cause of indigestion, i.e., meat/dairy/flour carbohydrates/rice and beans.

I have a chia seed plant protein shake which, this morning, I made my own almond milk for in the vitamix. I than added the nut milk to the stainless steel shake can with the chia seeds, E3 plant protein powder, 1/2 banana and hand blended it.

I am finding chia seeds a great breakfast treat…

21. Faye says:

I love both smoothies and juicing & have both most days. I like to think of my juice as an IV. I like to drink it slowly & envision all the concentrated phytochemicals/vitamins/minerals infusing through my cells along with the live water. It’s my way of communicating to my cells that I love them & I want them be healthy & strong. I like to do my smoothies separate from my juices because I treat them as food with fiber that is nourishing my body & cleaning out my intestines. I love to give thanks to God, the universe, nature, the sun or whatever for giving me these wonderful foods.

22. Sue says:

I started out with green juices doing the Gerson method. When I got off of that, I found out about green smoothies and I CANNOT seem to get back into green juices. But I love the smoothies. They’re quick, easy and I can make a little extra ahead of time when we travel. We have a truckers fridge, if you will, that keeps them nice and cold. Great fore the bowels also. My day is complete when I get at least a quart of smoothie in me. And you can make them as tasty as you want. I can’t say enough about them.

23. Catherine says:

I’m quite content with my morning green/fruit smoothie. I start with a little banana, add greens (either spinach or kale), add whatever other fruit I have – blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, apple, peaches, etc.. and then I add some (vary these somewhat) green powder, hemp protein, chia seeds, goji berries, maca powder, cacao (sometimes) etc., add either coconut water, rice milk, almond milk or just water. All I can say is that it gets me through the day and I feel great. Often I don’t have to eat till dinner time.

I think any of us who are juicing or making healthy smoothies are way far ahead in the nutrition game compared to most people in this country. I can’t tell you how many people I know who still eat cereal with milk, or just have a banana and a yogurt (yes Yoplait!!!) for their breakfast. And they tell me they are eating healthy. It blows my mind.

24. Thomas says:

I found this from a study in the food science journal about the vitamin C content in comparing blending (to puree, as in smoothies) and juicing of strawberries:

“The antioxidant capacity decreased with processing steps except heat treatment, which partly caused an increase due to the formation of antioxidant active products. The content of ascorbic acid, in comparison to that in the frozen strawberries, decreased significantly during the processing of the fruit to puree by 77%. In the pressed cloudy juices, the loss of ascorbic acid was 37%.”

This indicates that frozen strawberries contain more vitamin C than blended or juiced ones. Something is lost in each process.

I guess that’s why we were born with teeth and saliva, instead of with a blender in our mouths. 🙂

25. Carolyn says:

For me, It makes more sense to have the juice first, all by itself for at least a half hour. My understanding is that because of the lack of fiber in “juice” the nutrients go right into you blood stream and don’t have to go through as much of the digestion process. For those with a weak digestion, this is really important, and also for those who are healing from illness. If you drink the juice right after a smoothie, it will be all mixed in with the fiber you just drank and thus won’t be as effective. The nutrients are there, but the a system that digests poorly may not get the full benefit.

26. Anne says:

I like to have a green juice in the morning when I have time or before a run I find this the ideal way to wake my body up. However i do have green smoothies (no fruits) at least 3 times per week for lunch and I make them with spinach (cooked one minute to reduce oxalic acid) or romaine lettuce. Since I’m currently avoiding fruits, I might sweeten it with a bit of stevia (really unnecessary as it’s delicious as is) and put some Acai/resveratrol extract powder in it to get antioxidant as well as a scoop of vitamin C from a natural source.

I think both juices and smoothies have a place.

27. Shar says:

I have a poached egg for protein then I make a green juice with no fruit at all. I do add Vitaminerals Greens powder, FiberHarmony, and coconut oil or coconut milk. This takes the bite out of the bitter greens and also slows down any sugars from the juice.

My concern is what Thomas mentioned about destroying the antioxidants with the breakdown from the VitaMix. I was planning on purchasing a Blend Tech but I’m leery about if it will destroy the nutrients.

28. Linda says:

I try to do both. I have a green smoothie almost every morning. I like to drink 2 carrot vegetable mixture a day but don’t always get the juicing done to do every day.

29. Jonathan says:

Few chunks of frozen mango or peach, splash of filtered water, two cups of spinach. Blend until lliquid. Smoothie or juice?

30. tim says:

i KEEP IT SIMPLE just super greens in the morning smoothie mid-morning qt.here qt. there, and when you eat raw prep. can be real easy on the go , they all come with their own bulletin rapper thats best eaten most often times … cool .peace people…

31. Gail says:

Agree with Faye, #17..and just about everybody else.

32. Ralph says:

Kevin indicated that both blending and juicing have their purpose. Juicing high nutrition like a supplement and blending providing a meal. He then said he would blend and have it first followed by the juice. My understanding is that you should drink the juice on an empty stomach so that the juice will not go through the digestive tract, but be absorbed into the bloodstream right from the stomach (as per Dr. Norm Walker), then have the blend half an hour later. Nutrient absorption from juice is like 90%, whereas nutrient absorption from blended material about half, but it does have the fiber.

33. Lori says:

I do both everyday. I start the day with a green smoothie which consists of 1/2 cup raw goat milk kefir, spinach or romaine, zuchinni or cucumber, avocado, sprouts, hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds, flax seeds or chia seeds, fresh raw egg, coconut oil, seaweed, enzymes, bee pollen, maca, camu and a bit of stevia to sweeten. I juice for lunch and supper drinking it slowly about 1/2 hour before the rest of my meal. I do not add fruit to the smoothies or the green juices. This has been a great benefit to my digestive health!

34. margaret p. says:

Hi, love smoothies and juices, I do both, grow my own greens, including a leaf of comfrey and some dandelion leaves. Would love to have your recipe for chocolate pudding with irish moss. I have lost it, you did send it out, can anyone help?

35. Suzan says:

Well, I read that you should have your wheatgrass and sprout juice before you go to bed, so that it has all night to work in your body. So, I have one tray of wheatgrass juiced and one tray of broccolli sprout juice before I go to bed. Then when I get up I have beet, celery, carrot juice. Then I make up an avocado, banana, blueberry, sprouted quinoa or amaranth slushy to take with me to work. It works for me.
    suz

36. Betoman says:

Smoothies are so much easier than juicing because of the cleanup with juicing. I will add part of an avocado or sweet potato to give the smoothies more volume and body. Hemp seed and chia are in almost all of my smoothies. We should chew our smoothies as we drink them.

37. Brenda says:

I had a green smoothie today for breakfast with lots of fresh vegetables even some straight from my yard, YUM! I don’t often do that. More often I have a protein drink with lots of herbal powders for breakfast, also YUM! 😀

38. Satori says:

So, I have a question. Do I need to chew juice as well? Tomorrow morning, I’ll try juicing celery which I absolutely hate:(

39. susan says:

Hi Kevin please include the trascipt to your videos, if possible. i dont have ear plugs and sometimes the sound is not good or its not convienent to have the sound on.

thanks have a great one

40. Kim says:

Smoothies are usually more caloric than juices because the ratio Victoria Boutenko gives in her book Green For Life is 60% fruit and 40% greens. Green juices have mostly greens in them.

41. Catherine says:

Currently, I am doing both. I have my green smoothie for breakfast, and normally, I would have a savory veggie stew for lunch. But some of the ingredients for savory veggie stews are expensive, so when I can’t buy them, I juice my greens, with apples.

42. suzanne says:

Anne, #26. It was my understanding that raw spinach doesn’t have much oxalic acid. Its when you cook it. Hmmm? I looked this up when my son was told to avoid spinach if he is prone to kidney stones.

43. pat says:

I believe you said to take HCL at the end of a meal. I have been told to take it at the beginning, after having a few bites of food. Which is correct?

44. Christine says:

I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast.
    Later I have a pure fruit juice, but my problem is that I am also low on HCL.

45. Sundaram says:

Hi all,
    As I live in India, can’t get all the new super-food ingredients available there. But still I have a smoothie with the following usually (depending upon seasonal fruits):
    Currently the fruits I use are mangoes, bananas and papaya, mixed with:coconut oil,
    flax oil,Noni juice, coconut meat or some ground almonds or cashews or sunflower seeds, spirulina, blue-green algae,amla (vitamin C),brahmi powder (good for the brain),ashwagandha, probiotics, ground up flax seeds, bee pollen, cinnamon, tumeric, kelp powder, magnesium water. Other seasons I will use primarily papaya, bananas and pineapple or tangerines with the some other ingredients.

Sure wish someone over there would decide to export superfoods like hemp seeds to India!!!

Later in the morning, maybe two to three hours later, I go to a shop here which has the special juicer for wheatgrass juice and I drink a glass of that.

I have a juicer, but forget to use it as I am so satisfied with the smoothies!

Thanks for all your great ideas!
    Sundaram

46. mike says:

#38-YES chew your juices and smoothies to wake up your stomach and enzymes to get to work absorbing. And add something sweet like juice from apple or carrot, etc.

and #45-gimme a break..you sound so deprived there in India..with every superfood except hemp seeds(my favorite..haha) i kid.

looks like im the first to say i mix themnt if both… I Juice-apple, carrot, celery, beet, ginger, rhubarb(had a plant for last month, finished now), kale, rainbow chard, cabbage, beet, carrot and celery greens(love them now fresh from local organik farmers market) also been combining lemon and lime.. then blend with banana, dates(if i remember to soke nite b4, or just feel like tossing in hard(loud), fresh and/or frozen berries(straw, blue, black, rasp(homegrown), raw local pastured duck and chicken egg, brocolli sprouts, sweet pea shoots, fresh ground flax, hempseed, hemp oil or protein powder, chia seed, dulse flakes, sometimes raw honey..wow. yum..cant wait. drink about 4 ten ounce glasses per day, then dinner..

47. mike says:

o and cucumber yum yum juicey