Are Blended Foods Just as Bad as Microwaved Foods? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #842

Monday Jun 13 | BY |

I know it sounds pretty crazy…

Today, I answer whether the claim that blended foods are just as bad as microwaved food is valid or not.

I also answer questions about protein shakes, how long you can store a smoothie and if some raw foods are poisonous.

Your question of the day: Should we be comparing microwaved food to blended food?

1. Julie says:

That is crazy. I am shocked that people would even buy into that propaganda. We have a Vita-Mix and one of the biggest things that sold us about it was the fact that the food was able to be pureed down to the cellular level, which made the food more digestible for cancer patients and helped them to get their nutrients more effectively. Hey, if it works well for the cancer patient, who is severely immuno-compromised, it is good for me!

2. Jayme says:

No way! Ever since green smoothies and juicing my life and health have improved tremendously and I do way more blending than juicing! I feel like it’s always good to question… so get some results for yourself and let them speak!

3. Terese Covey says:

I can’t believe someone out there actually compared microwave food to blended food. If you are connected to your inner self, you will know that is not true. I say, if you really want to know, eat all your foods microwaved for a week. Then eat all your foods blended for a week. I gaurantee, you will notice a tremdous difference!

4. Michelle says:

I agree with you, Kevin, BLEND AWAY!!!!
    Microwaves are evil, Vitamix is your friend 😉

5. Karen says:

Microwaves kill our food. There is no comparison.

6. Tara Burner says:

I’ll blend away before I’ll micro. something!

7. Doris Dejwakh says:

I don’t see how blended foods, which keep their vitamin, mineral and enzyme content, can possibly be as bad as microwaved foods, which not only lose their good content but also have microwave radiation not present in food cooked on the stovetop. My daughter is a Naturopathic doctor, and one of the first things she did as she learned more in the naturopathic program was stop using the microwave. In my apartment, I stowed the microwave in a back corner so it wouldn’t take up space in the kitchen. She also stopped vaccinating her children, but that’s another story… I couldn’t watch your video, Kevin, as YouTube is blocked here in China, but I hope you set the record straight about microwaves!

8. Larry Ford says:

It sounds really crazy to me to think that blending is as dangerous as microwave. I would like to see studies that back up this claim. Trying to be holistic is a challenge for sure, their is so many things being said, that you have to research and seek out other view points to keep you on track. Misinformation will kill you for sure!!!LOL!

9. ET says:

I find it hard to take this question or rather the person who perpetuated this question seriously……..I would not even have a microwave in my house……never mind cook food in it…..

Where has this person been the last 5 to 20 years??……there is a ton of research available about the negative affects of microwaved food!!

To compare this to a blended food full of fresh greens and nutrients is not possible!

Bring on the juicers, blenders and gardens full of fresh produce!
    To your health……
    ET

10. Matt Ryan says:

At the end of the day anyone can make any claim or assertion that they want. The question to ask is…What leads you to believe that blended foods are bad??? Where does that info come from??? My guess is that the answers to those two questions are absolute nonsense.

11. Susan says:

I am trying to understand why microwaves are bad. I use microwave-safe glass containers to cook in–no plastics, ever! I rarely use the microwave to cook. My favorite use of it is to “steam” broccoli as I just cannot eat it raw–upsets my stomach. Do you have any supported articles, links on why my use would be considered bad?
    I will also use it to quickly heat up a mug of water for tea. Is that use bad?
    Please, no opinions. I am strictly interested in supported documentation as to why my particular use would be bad. Thanks.

12. Cindy says:

CRAZY!!!! The two do not even compare! Whoever is saying this a total crackpot as far as I am concerned!!!! I have a blended or juiced drink every day and what I get is HEALTHIER!!!

13. Paul says:

Microwave ovens are only good for killing germs in sponges and wash rags. Nix the food in them. There is no comparison to blended salads.

14. gerald doherty says:

whatnhell is a microwave anyways.

15. Antonio says:

I would like someone to explain to me how a blender DOESN’T damage food. The bowl is sitting on a motor and blending at 25000 rpm’s, can you honestly think that this is doing nothing to the food ? Predigestion ?? How fast can you chew … get me a blender that can do that and I’ll buy it. Chew your food, it’s healthier on all levels plus it’s good exercise.

16. LA says:

I’ll Blend away any day before microwaving!! The only thing I use my microwave for is heating up my therapeutic pad for my muscles. Ha Ha… We bought a Turbo Oven 6 years ago and love it. We don’t use it much these days, but if we need to heat something up quickly w/out destroying the food and creating more toxins, we use Turbo Oven instead of a microwave.

17. Irene Leeb says:

may be they were talking about food combining
    meaning it is harmful blending proteins and complex carbs

18. Ronn says:

I received that same email saying blending is worse than microwaving. I don’t recall who the author was or who the newsletter was from, but I remember he also said that if you put water in a Vitamix and run it on high for a while (I don’t remember how long he said)and then water your plants with it for the next week or so, your plants will DIE. He told people to try the experiment for themselves.

I didn’t bother to try it, because like Kevin, I immediately thought of Victoria Boutenko and how so many people in her experiment with green smoothies had remarkable improvements in their health.

I’ve been eating blended salads, green smoothies and other things made with my Vitamix for many years now. I wouldn’t think of stopping because of one crazy article.

19. I love my microwave–it is a very expensive built-in microwave/convection oven arrangement. Yes, we really, really get good use from it–unplugged!

We use it to store our rare & expensive tinctures, Chinese Herbal extracts, Mushroom extracts, supplements, etc. It is like a Faraday cage and provides excellent protection. It is sort of a “reverse use” for the microwave. lol.

Blending micronizes our food–awesome! Viva la VitaMix and Blendtec! It breaks the cell membrane, releasing more of the nutrition to our cells–like what happens when we chew, except more-so.

20. deb says:

I believe that if we were to chew our food as much as we should it would be close to the consistency of blended food..and the last time I checked chewing was still a natural process.. next thing you know someone will be saying that chewing food is more detrimental
    than microwaved food… whatever…In some cases blending foods can actually be life saving … as in the case of those who have lost their teeth and can’t chew their food or have medical problems that prevent them from doing so..and in the most important aspect of all of making raw ice cream LOL My god What would we do without that blender???

21. Ellen from Davis says:

Kevin,

I agree with many of these folks, with respect to food; I no longer microwave ANY of my food, but instead use the oven for baking starchy veg.

However, I too use the microwave occasionally for killing germs in my sponges, and for heating my neck warmer. So it still has some utility!

Thanks,
    Ellen

22. Darilyn says:

I thought that blending helped release the enzymes/nutrients in the raw foods to make them more easily absorbed by the body and that’s also why you should drink them as soon as possible; not any more than within 24 hrs.
    We obviously all know what a microwave does.

23. Barbara says:

On the blending issue- I’m not putting smoothies down but I heard something very interesting the other day that made me think more seriously about it. Smoothies are filled with the fiber from the vegetables and fruit in them and while fiber is very healthy, it needs to be chewed and mixed with saliva to help break it down for optimal digestion. As very few people actually chew their smoothies, they’re not going to digest the fiber properly. It probably isn’t a big issue unless you’re drinking a lot of smoothies each day, but it is something to consider.

24. Rose Vasile says:

I totally agree with you that green smoothies are beneficial. So many people have told me their health has improved and they feel much better drinking green smoothies. I have trouble understanding the man who stated that blending smoothies eliminates over 90% of their nutrients…I was incredulous when he said that at a lecture I attended. As far as I know, he has never provided info backing his statement.

I like to drink a green smoothie the same day I make it because it gets darker if left overnight. Adding some lemon juice helps to preserve the smoothie. If I leave home with a smoothie, I add lemon juice and also throw in some ice cubes.

25. Evelyne says:

The frequency of the healthy human body is 66 Hz. The frequency of microwaved food is 0 Hz. By eating this dead food, you will lower your frequency and become sick (42 is the frequency of cancer).
    My kitchen came with a microwave which I use to sanitize my sponges.

26. Gini says:

I tend to agree with Antonio. I don’t really understand the big deal with blending and juicing. To me masticating food is the natural way to eat. I own three different kinds of juicers: an old Acme centrifugal type, Jack Lalanne, and a Green Machine that imitates masticating with twin cams that don’t create heat. I also have a Health Master (Montel Williams) high speed blender. But the main reason I don’t make juice or blended drinks is because it is extra work. Maybe everyone is such a hurry that they can’t stop to chew a meal but it actually takes less time not having to blend and then wash the blender. I do make raw almond milk though- delicious!

But at the same time I don’t think there is a comparison between microwaved and blended foods- microwaved is way worse. I wouldn’t have one in my house much less eat food cooked in it!! I agree that it is totally destroying and changing the structure of the food. If I cook something I use a convection oven.

27. Misty says:

Discussing microwave ovens is such a waste of time.
    Micro= dead food, green smoothy =Live

28. David Barriga says:

IF,? anyone out questions the effects of the mircowave, listen to Dr. Mercola and others, I learned the bad effects some 13t yrs. ago. another handy item? Cell phones.

29. Mike Snyder says:

Thanks for the great video Kevin! I do both juicing and blending every day! They both are extremely healthy.

This is the original article referenced that mentions the microwave:

This is Michael Bergonzi’s site. I highly recommend his newsletter! He grew wheatgrass & sprouts at Hippocrates Health Institute for many years.

~ Mike Snyder

30. Jeanne Schmelzer says:

I don’t need any research telling me that microwaving is harmful because I did some kinesiology (muscle testing) on microwaved oatmeal, water, versus stove top oatmeal, water. The result checked against my eating microwaved stuff and for range-top food.

31. Betoman says:

We (my wife and two young children and I) got rid of our microwave when it quit years ago and haven’t looked back. “Microwaving” foods is one of the worst things one can do to food to cook it. The molecular structure of the food changes to something that no longer resembles its original form.
    What I would like to see is a blender pitcher (Vitamix or Blendtech) made of glass instead of plastic, which leaches no matter what number it is. Recent studies support this. Kev & AM, do you have any pull with Vitamix or Blendtech to get them to make a glass pitcher?? Yes, it would be heavy, but if we stay healthy and strong, it won’t be a problem.

32. sasha says:

I’ve been having duodenal ulcer for a long time. I can eat the most raw vegetables and fruits with no problems. If I drink for a breakfast green smoothies for a few days, I feel my ulcer comes back. I am not comparing blending and microwaving. I just want to say blending (green smoothie at least) is unnatural.

33. Nikki says:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with blending. Everything gets blended up in you stomach eventually anyways. As for the microwave… I still use it. I would like to learn more about the effects it’s use has on our health. I would like to reduce my use of it.

34. chusmacha says:

Very good video. Thanks

35. Meg says:

Hey Kev,

I’m a bit worried about chlorella due to the radiation leakage from fukashima. Almost all chlorella on the shelves (or the best manufacturers anyways…) are grown in Japan right? Any thoughts?

36. Mary says:

Microwaving destroys the molecular structure of food. The nutrients present in the food become unrecognizable by the body; and are not assimilated. Microwaved food becomes simply filler and fiber.
    All processes we use to break down food, warm it, or freeze it destroys a certain level of nutrients – but the less we “process” it any way, the more nutrients remain.
    Nutrients remain, to a large degree in microwaved food too – but they have been altered to a degree that they cannot be utilized by the body.
    Blending food does not create these same problem.

37. annie says:

The only problem with blending that I could see is if you don’t clean it properly, or the blades are so dull that you are essentially bruising or beating you food. The essential thing for making fresh tasting coleslaw is a sharp knife. This is also true with onions, the bacteria grows faster in bruised onions, hence no onion unless the preparer is mindful. Annie

38. inarej says:

I appreciate and respect your work Kevin. Hoping you’ll slow down your delivery however because I can’t quite get all your words and thoughts without “rewinding.” Its almost like machine gun fire. Don’t let time be of the essence. Chill. Thanks.

39. Trudy says:

Blending food is a very nutritional way of getting a lot of benefits from your food, microwave on the other hand is very detrimental to your health, I do not like my minerals turning to metals, good info today, Thanks

40. Velda says:

What a question ….. when you microwave food, it not only irradiates it as one person said, but it vibrates the cells on a molecular level and destroys the molecular structure as another person said. Blending smoothies does not do that. I do agree that you need to chew your smoothies. From what I have read, you need it to mix with the saliva to digest properly. Sasha, when you blend or juice you take in a lot more greens than you would if you just eat them whole. That could be why you are having problems when you do it for several days in a row. Doesn’t mean it is bad for you to juice or do smoothies, it just means that you should not do it for several days in a row. Just a thought. Thank you Kevin for a great response to such a question. Microwaving is definitely bad and has been proven scientifically. They have even shown how eating microwaved food negatively affects your blood. Don’t think they can say that about green smoothies.

41. Kuru says:

Kevin, please initiate some research on this subject. We need specifics! Before’s and after’s on blended drinks. How much oxidation really occurs, and after how much blending time? Specifics on nutrients lost or not. I am convinced the pros way outweigh the cons, but we really need to have the data.

Great to see you on video again!

42. Kuru says:

P. S. I would be glad to chip in on some research!

43. wendy green says:

chew your juice, drink your food…in other words, cjew ALL your food in your mouth until it is slurry and mix it with your saliva. nuff said

44. Arnie says:

Brian Clement has a definite bias against blended foods,the microwave part we can just dismiss. It is too easy today to test for nutrients in food and its affect on the body after ingestion. Brian Clement says he has the scientific proof but no one has ever seen it. Keep the blending short.

45. Lou says:

Both blending and microwaving foods create heat. However, the heat from blending is friction derived where as the heat from the microwave in electrical energy derived at a higher intensity, temperature and duration. The friction created by the blender’s knife sharp edge cutting through the smoothie ingredients is very easily controlled by the amount of time and the speed of the blade. As such, I am hard pressed to make any comparison regarding any negative affects to the food caused by the cutting blade in the blender, however, I view the microwave as a dead food maker.

46. geoffrey campbell says:

I have been recently told not to use Nutritional Yeast in adding to my smoothies as they say it contains a high amount of glutamate, as Dr. Russel Blaylock states that this is an excitotoxin. Could you please tell me your thoughts on this, as I find you to be well balanced on these type of inquiries. ty

47. Chris Hammond says:

Dr. Max Gerson M.D. found he could not cure cancer patients with juice from high speed juicers. He thought that spinning the food particles so fast in the presence of oxygen put the wrong electric charge on the juice. This “could” apply to blenderized drinks also. While it would be interesting designing test to compare energy fields of foods processed by various means (machines vs. chewing)ect I personally wouldn’t include microwaved, because of the volumes of data already documenting its defects. I will keep using my hand held blender with coconut milk, almonds,chia,hemp,seeds,raw cacao walnuts rice protein, raw eggs ect until I see the sun rise in the west.

48. David Klappstein says:

Kevin;

Just a few comments.I am an electronics systems engineer for forty years, so I do know a thing or two about microwaves. Firstly, any method of preparing food can be potentially harmful if done wrong. In terms of blended food, the type of blender chosen will considerably reduce the risk of food damage not only from heat, but from the toxins and contaminants in the food. The best blenders are usually slower speeded to reduce any heat damage. Most blenders out there need to be operated at the lowest speed possible to get the job done.
    In terms of microwaves, that all depends upon how long and what power is used. Microwaves operate by vibrating the atomic lattices and if you apply enough power, you will strip the outer electrons off the product, and that produces a new product that will be very high in free radicals. If you use a microwave, only use it to warm things up like your coffee, but never, never cook, anything in a microwave. Best to never use or have one.
    The Russians were right all along on this one.

Dave

49. wayne rivali says:

For those deep into the healthy eating arena, there are accepted norms in general. I can and have changed my mind on any given health issue. Demonized foods such as salt and saturated fats have made their way back into my diet after reliable studies revealed substantial benefits. And luckily I was very late getting in on the soy bandwagon before quickly abandoning all soy including fermented after similar research.
    Conclusion: Without “smoking gun” research on blended food hazards, my fallback reaction is based on the progression towards health in myself and others I observe and read about. Blended foods are still fine in my opinion. As for the nuke box, the smoking gun is too hot to even touch.

50. Sarah says:

I agree with you. I do keep my microwave, though – not for food, but to heat up those wheat bags which are really nice to put on your aching neck and shoulders. I never use it for food though….my massage therapist has made many of those wheat bags in different sizes and she uses them on various body parts while she does the massage. This is absolute heaven!

51. Dan Hegerich says:

I have measured EMF’s coming from my Green Star to be over 100 milligauss (>3milligauss begins to harm human cells), as well as from my standard blender and from a microwave on high. They all pinned the meter’s capability with the microwave pinning it much harder. Do the EMF’s tranfer into the food? Well that could be one test. The other is certainly oxidation from drawing in or down of air at incredible speeds in the blender especially the Vita Mixer or equally powerful blender so it must oxidize some nutrients relative to how much time is spent blending. Microwave oven doesn’t cause this kind of oxidation. I blend with a masson jar inverted on my standard blender and fill it to about maximum leaving very little oxygen. I blend for about 10sec. To what extent is the damage-don’t know but I do know that food tastes great out of the blender or juicer compared to the microwave so that is a subjectivly objective clue. Lastly, the high powered blenders do heat the food the longer they are running, causing the unstable polyunsaturated fats to oxidize quickly and become rancid. I beleive this is one reason so many raw food vegans use frozen produce in their smoothies-to keep the food from getting too warm in the blending process. Yet the enzymes and nutrients are denatured in the freezing process. I’ve left out frozen organic berries in a jar and no mold comes! Fresh organic berries left out in a jar and mold forms in a few days. So there are many places where nutrients are lost in any process that is deviated from nature.

52. deb says:

when the molecular structure of your food is changed as in microwaving.. your body does not even recognize it as food and therefore has to work many times harder to make any sense out of it and this dear friends is what takes your much needed digestive energy needed for digestion and uses it on other things therefore leaving a deficit and this is what causes dis eases…seems like a no brainer that if even one of the things that people say are a problem with microwaves .. then why take a chance… I mean what exactly are the benefits of microwaving that would make you want to take the risk ????????? DUH

53. brooke says:

FUNNY!! to even think of comparing the 2. Love how you kept a, relatively speaking, straight face throughout the answer! What a joke…there are some crazies out there. Whoever brought that up must have been eating too many microwaved foods and is suffering the consequences…

54. oreganol says:

I don’t know how true this is and can’t remember where I saw it, but someone said they did the following experiment. They watered two plants, one with unblended water and another with water that had been blended for a minute or so. They claimed that the plant watered with the blended water died. I know this isn’t scientific and it may even be a hoax. But the way to find out would be to try it. I don’t have a blender at the moment, but I’m getting a new one soon, so I’ll try the experiment. Maybe some other people could try as well.

But as you pointed out, some people have improved their health by just adding blended smoothies. So I’m a bit sceptical.

Even if the blending process is a bit unhealthy, then the benefits of getting all those extra greens probably outweighs the damage the blending may do. So it’s just a case of looking at the whole picture.

55. wayne rivali says:

I should have been more specific in my post above about salts in that my studies and endorsments relate only to Himalayan or Celtic salts and that saturated fats are of avocado, coconut, and some animal fats.
    Please don’t hold my stray from vegan against me, but my last bt was way low in folate and I refuse to suppliment with the synthetic version called folic acid.

56. Sonja says:

I heard Brian Clement, the the director of Hippocrates Health Institute in Florida say that blending destroys a lot (maybe he is the one who said 90 or so %) of the nutrients of raw food. His point being that masticating juicing is by far the best. I think he is probably right in that it is better to juice if you want all the nutrients but I think you are right too Kevin, that it is still good to blend. Cereal, pancakes, eggs and bacon or a green smoothie? It may not be juice but a green smoothie is much better for you than traditional breakfast foods and doesn’t compare at all in my opinion to killing the enzymes and altering the molecules of our food with a microwave.

57. It’s conceivable that the spinning does some damage to the food and the heat generated if you blend for too long could destroy some of the enzymes.

But, to say it’s as bad as microwaving is sheer nonsense. Look at how many people have improved their health with green smoothies.

The proof is in the pudding or the smoothie!

58. Patrick says:

When I’m drinking green smoothies, or other kinds of blended raw drinks, I feel great. I get an energy rush, I’m more vital throughout the day, my eyes brighten, skin looks better, inflammation in my body calms, and so on (to name but a few benefits I’ve experienced).

I don’t ever recall feeling like this from eating microwaved food of any kind.

Reviewing studies, comparing research, sure it can all be useful, but with so much disinformation out there your best bet is often to give things a try for yourself and listen to your body. Having benefited so much for drinking them over the years, I’m still with green smoothies and blended food all the way.

59. Diane says:

Hi Kevin (and Annmarie!) – Love your site/blog, thanks for all the great info. Two questions: first related to protein powder and smoothies, which protein powder would you recommend for my daughter and me (she’s 3) and between the two of us we are allergic/sensitive to wheat, sugar, soy, milk, corn and spirulina.

Second, I was trying to debate someone about the ill effects of microwaves and they responded, “What, so if I boil water, it changes water molecules into… not water?” How would you respond? Thanks!

60. Kuru says:

I remember making hot soup when I first got my Vita mix, but the taste changed so radically, I didn’t eat it. I haven’t heated anything in it since.

61. Brenda says:

I have never used a microwave and never lived in a house with one. I love my vita mix. Yep, it is easy to see how I feel. 😀

62. shine says:

i agree with you kevin this is knitpicking and the sort of stuff that leads to insanity and food issues thats must be as toxic in itself

63. Drew says:

blending all the way..any heat about the enyzme warming level no matter what source will kill the food/juice….grt video Kevin…I agree with all the points talked about….metta

64. Not all juicers and blenders are created equally. I personally “flash blend” certain things at the end to prevent damage to proteins. Isn’t milk homoginization similar to blending and doesn’t it permenently alter the structure of milk so that it no longer separates? Does it possibly de-nature proteins? There are slow churning masticating juicers and variable speed blenders. You have choices when blending or juicing. Although I don’t have the science behind my thoughts here, I will error on the side of caution and use techniques that most closely resemble natural processes… High speed blending is cerainly less natural than a masticating juicer.

65. Dorothy says:

G’day, Annemarie & Kevin, the only thing I ‘Nuke’ in the microwave is my hot water bottle; don’t even empty it out, so when we have water ‘restrictions’ here in Australia I don’t get the ‘Guilts.’ The only thing is I hope the rubber doesn’t vucanize,getting too brittle and splitting. Although not showing any sign of this yet. Why did the Russians Ban An Appliance Found In over 90% Of American Homes. Here’s why! Microwaves ‘zap’ all the nutrients out of your food; therefore if you are constantly zapping your food (food as in nourishment.) Nourishment maintains life, you certainly ain’t getting much NOURISHMENT from something that has
    been ‘nuked,’ and most of the live content has been destroyed or altered beyond your DNA’s recognition.

This report is a little bit lengthy but ‘You Asked For It.’ These reports are 10 to 12yrs old, and with the information contained within the reports, it is easy to understand why the health of the population of this world of ours has been on a graphical downhill spiral for well over 20 yrs, since the microwave oven first arrived into our kitchens. That’s when literally ‘All Hell Broke Loose’ with our ‘Nutritous Meals.’ Out the window all for the sake of Laziness,or We Can’t Be Bothered.

COOKED by author William Thomas.
    William Thomas is an investigative journalist living on Gabriola Island, BC.

How nutritious is microwaved food? In a small town just outside Basel, two Swiss scientists sought some answers to a question as simple as it was contentious. But neither man was prepared for results that would soon prove hotter than the ovens themselves.

The year was 1992. Tests conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the University Institute for Biochemistry mimicked microwaved food in homes and restaurants in Canada and around the world. Hans Hertel and Bernard Blanc suspected that electromagnetic energy, intense enough to make bacteria glow in their food samples, could alter food chemistry–and the bloodstream of anyone eating microwaved food. But they were stunned to find cholesterol counts up sharply in people eating microwaved vegetables.

Comparing the blood chemistry of people after eating food cooked in conventional and microwave ovens, a dismayed Hertel explained that “blood cholesterol levels are less influenced by cholesterol content of the food than by stress factors.” Stressing out vegetables inside a microwave oven, the scientist concluded, ensures that such stresses “can apparently exist in foods which contain virtually no cholesterol.”

After taking blood samples from volunteers over a two-month period, Hertel and Blanc found that the nutritional components of all milk and veggies were degraded after being heated in a microwave oven.

So was the blood chemistry of consumers. These abrupt measurable changes included a decrease in high-density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) and a sharp rise in low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) levels following the consumption of microwaved food.

The two researchers also discovered marked declines in the number of red blood cells that carry oxygen to the tissues and collect carbon dioxide, as well as in white blood cells that fight infections. Such significant symptoms of bodily stress “are often signs of pathogenic effects on the living system, such as poisoning and cell damage,” the health investigators noted.

For corroboration, Hertel pointed to “extensive scientific literature concerning the hazardous effects of direct microwave radiation on living systems.” Noting how gene-splicing geneticists use microwaves to weaken cell membranes, the health detective described how the life-giving electrical charge of cells is neutralized by microwaves. This suppresses natural repair mechanisms, he added, making cells “easy prey for viruses, fungi and other micro-organisms.”

Microwave Mania

Bad bugs are everywhere. So are these drastic devices. From restaurants and home kitchens to hospitals and hotel rooms, microwave ovens have infiltrated our lives until most contestants, racing to keep up with runaway technologies, cannot imagine having ever lived without them.

But electricity and magnetism infuse and inform our electro-chemical cells with the pulsating energies of life. Is it wise to repeatedly zap such subtly pervasive forces?

Invisible emissions from microwave ovens often radiate at head level. Aging door seals leak microwaves, while electromagnetic fields (EMF) bypass built-in shielding to irradiate rooms. Before unplugging it forever, EMF radiation specialist Chris Anderson measured emissions from the microwave oven in his Salt Spring Island kitchen streaming through walls in a bedroom nine metres (10 yards) away.

Unlike conventional convection cooking, which heats food from the outside in, microwave ovens heat drinks and dinner from the inside out. High-frequency microwaves starting at around 500 MHz and extending up in the infrared frequencies permeate food, forcing water molecules to heat up by bending them rapidly back and forth.

The result is a fierce electrical whiplash. The Swiss scientists discovered that electrically-charged atoms in the cells bombarded by microwave ovens are forced to reverse their life-giving electrical polarity or “charge” up to 100 billion times a second.

“There are no atoms, molecules or cells of any organic system able to withstand such a violent, destructive power for any extended period of time,” Hertel says. This will happen even given the microwave oven’s low power range of milliwatts.

“Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed and thus become impaired in quality.”

In fact, this frenetic friction rips food apart at the molecular level, rearranging its chemical composition-and the blood chemistry of anyone munching microwaved meals.

The higher the frequency of electromagnetic fields, the more damage results. Microwaves are near the top of the frequency spectrum. Yet many hospitals continue to collect, freeze and reheat mothers’ milk in microwave ovens! Absolute Lunacy.

MALEVOLANT MICROBES…
    Hospital administrators may have missed the April, 1992 issue of Pediatrics Journal, which reported a Stanford study showing that microwaved breast milk loses important vitamins and antibodies needed by infants to fend off malevolent microbes.

The Stanford sleuths further found that microwaving milk increases milk’s acidity, damaging proteins, enlarging fat cells and wiping out the folic acid, which is found to significantly lower the rate of spina-bifida birth defects. Milk heated in a microwave oven and then doused with E. coli bacteria also grew 18 times more bacteria than milk heated in a pan and cultured with E. coli.
    Proving Stove Top Heat is safer when it comes
    to preserving nutritional goodness.

Salmonella bacteria may also survive in a microwave’s uneven “cold spots” that do not fully cook food placed inside. Even worse, instead of exuding water, like food cooked in convection ovens, microwaved food cells excrete cancer-enhancing carbon dioxide, hydrogen peroxide and carbon monoxide.

Hertel blew his warning whistle when he saw that alterations in blood chemistry caused by consuming microwaved food mirrored the beginning stages of some cancers. Publishing his findings in the Journal Franz Weber, Hertel bluntly warned that food cooked in microwave ovens causes cancer-type effects in the blood.

Microwave makers boiled over. Reacting like any corporate interest kicked in its profits, the Swiss Association of Manufacturers and Suppliers of Household Appliances quickly brought a civil action against the researchers, demanding that Hertel and Blanc be legally silenced. In a ruling as ironic as it was drastic, a Swiss court prohibited Hertel from publicly “declaring that food prepared in microwave ovens shall be dangerous to health and lead to changes in the blood of consumers, giving reference to pathologic troubles as also indicative for the beginning of a cancerous process.”

Faced with a ferocious attack by this powerful trade lobby, Blanc recanted. But the unrepentant Hertel stuck by their findings.

Hertel says his seminars in Germany were “well-received.” So was his appeal against corporate censorship. In August, 1998, the earlier ruling was reversed when the European Court of Human Rights at Strasbourg ruled that the Swiss “gag order” forbidding the Bernese scientist from declaring that microwave ovens pose human health risks contravened Hertel’s right to freedom of expression. The Euro court also ordered Switzerland to pay 40,000 Swiss francs toward Hertel’s legal costs.

Nexus magazine hailed the decisions as “an end to judicial censorship of persons drawing attention to the health hazards of certain products.” But in a harried culture addicted to convenience, such unpalatable findings may be hard to swallow. Wishing you all well~Dorothy.

66. Gen says:

I sure agree with Betoman — we definitely would prefer a glass container for the Vitamix. The plastic creeps me out!

67. Wendy says:

I heard/read that blending hogwash as I started my green smoothie experience and decided it couldn’t be much different than chewing.

68. Boston Blackie says:

Chew or Juice – Good
    You may need assistance with the digestion of ‘blended’. I have read where they can get compacted creating problems – but they are so easy and not wasteful like juicing.
    If you need some saliva try swishing a t of xylitol.

69. Lynda Hartley says:

And they call US crazy!
    Any type of food processing is oxidizing. Are we going to be told next to swallow our food whole, like snakes do?
    Personally I like others here , use my microwave for storage.
    Love to all, Lynda

70. Karen Beattie says:

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE MICROWAVE EXPERIMENT. HOT WATER WAS BOILED ON THE STOVE AND COOLED THEN WATERED A PLANT; THEN WATER WAS BOILED IN THE MIROWAVE COOLED AND WATERED ANOTHER PLANT, THE PLANT WATERED BY THE MICROWAVE DIDN’T GROW WELL AND DIED! USE THE JUICER, BLENDER, DEHYDRATOR, GROWING AND SPROUTING TO OUR HEALTH!

71. Steve says:

Hey folks, let’s not all jump on the bandwagon like sheeple just because it looks & sounds good. Especially when we don’t know where that wagon is headed. The real problem with microwave ovens is the amount of electromagnetic radiation (EMFs) given off. EMFs degrade any food placed in a microwave or blender, plus are detrimental to the human body in many other ways. The person asking the question, and a good one at that, was most probably wondering about the EMFs given off by a typical microwave oven compared to a good quality, high powered blender. The National Council on Radiation Protection declared that 2mG (MiliGauss) is the maximum amount of EMFs that the human body can handle at any one exposure. Appliances, like microwave ovens, give off up to 100mG. Blenders, like the powerful VitaMix & BlendTec, give off up to 220mG. So, let the math do the talking. Both microwaving & blending degrades food. Probably the real difference is that the foods people blend in a VitaMix or BlendTec are a much higher quality (nutrient-dense raw whole foods) to begin with, rather than the highly processed/packaged foods people put in their microwave. If you’re really interested in true Health & Wellness, then you need to do some quality research & due-diligence in the following areas: Quantum Physics, Zero-Point Field/Energy, Energetic Wellness, etc. As Einstein said, “Everything is in the Field”.

72. Dr. D. says:

Great video. Loved your first point about clarifying the usefulness of raw foods and how to best prepare the foods. I am actually preparing for an even tomorrow “Food is Medicine” and will be working with master vegan Chef George Vutetakis. He will touch on some of the points you mentioned in your video. If anyone is in the Michigan area you should consider coming!(http://wellnesstraininginstitute.com/) Thanks again

73. Meg says:

Will you explain if microwaves are worse than heating over a stove or oven or even fire for that matter! I feel like it is wierd what is happening in that little box for such a short amount of time, but i have no clue what is actually going on in their and if it is more harmful than other ways of heating.

74. PE says:

Fine comments by Antonio #15, Dan Hegerich #51, Dorothy #65. Full disclosure– my home is a microwave-free zone and at the moment a blender-free zone and both are luxuries.
    The last time blending was questioned, not in the context of microwaving, someone referenced a study back in the 1940s in which oxidation by blender was shown. In spite of Victoria Boutenko’s potato study, it happens.
    Microwave problems are also known. (if you fear leakage from an old zapper, tape a cheap chocolate bar to the outer door; if it softens or melts, worry.)
    Cooking is also a problem if overdone; so is drying– there are studies to both effects. I’m not aware of problems with fermented foods apart from contamination, so I soak and ferment things that need work before eating.
    Antonio wisely spoke of chewing, an old concern. The Boutenkos sell a device to ‘exercise’ the jaw, to make up for not chewing enough with the costly Vitamix or whatever gadget. This of course makes sense to Americans who laze about and pay someone to ‘exercise’ them, and buy ‘conveniences’ to cut physical work that would exercise them free.
    So with chewing. A 19th century man named Fletcher had the sensible idea of chewing food enough to get ALL its flavor, then swallowing it. Others reshaped that into chewing each mouthful 32 times, once for each tooth. Can you say neurotic?
    I’m not quite sure blending’s Totally Useless except in disease, where all sorts of things (cooking too) become useful. It seems useless in health, as does heating water with electricity (microwaved or not) versus wood or even natural gas (higher net efficiency at its worst than electricity at its best.) There was a biodynamic study that found grass fire better than wood, too.
    Rule: low tech almost always outdoes hi tech if done well.

75. How can anyone say a microwave irradiates food?! wow the myths going around the health food movement are astonishing.

76. Good comments on the way that blended food is good for us. I agree. Green smoothies do oxidize after hours, and you can see that they are browner. Green juice from a good juicer tastes considerably better, more alive, than green smoothies. Victoria Boutenko would not mislead us. She has high integrity. She retracts statements when she learns more accurate information. People benefited greatly from her green smoothies. I have. David Wolfe blends food a lot, and he would not do that if it was not good for him. Yet both Dr. Brian Clement, N.D., of Hippocrates Health Institute and Dr. Gabriel Cousens, M.D., say blending destroys nutrients. They are trustworthy people. Green smoothies are light years better than what most people eat, and I say let’s not confuse them. I would like to see very well done science on this. Thank you for bringing up the question! Thanks for all you do!!!!!!!!!! The Cheerleader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. Beth says:

Glad you addressed the blending issue. I also do not believe it is the same as microwaving foods.

Since I introduced green smoothies and other blended foods into my diet (about 5 years ago) I have seen a vast improvement in my health.

78. Piter Caizer says:

This is the most insane question/comparison I’ve ever heard. Microwaves kill the food – blenders open up its nutrient contents.
    End of story. Long live the ‘Vitamix’ !!!

79. John says:

Kevin, There was a news item a day or two ago (here in the UK)about a guy who had a wart on his finger and he decided to remove it with a shotgun! He ended up removing two joints from his finger. This I think you could compare to microwaving.
    I would like to see a video comparing blending with juicing. I am confused about the fiber content etc.
    Thanks to you both for your articles. All 700 of them!
    Regards John

80. andy says:

Thanks! I recently started blending all of my food (started bodybuilding and downing some of the bland tasteless meals was tough) and basically chugging them down haha, I thought it might be unhealthy but I feel full and I lnow I’m getting tons of protein, just wasn’t sure if I was losing nutrients through blending.

81. jon says:

i feel great, look great, my luscle is ripped, i have a 6 pac, run 30 mile a week and eat microwave foods

82. Alan says:

The issue is not what happens to the food but what happens to your body when you stand near a microwave oven compared to standing near or hold the vitamin blender.

If you put a Gauss meter next to your Micro wave oven and measure the Electro Magnectic Waves being emitted from the microwave and compare them to the VitaMix… the readings for the Vitamix are about double or triple coming off the microwave.

I just purchased a new Vitamix for $500 and will be returning it after this week end. We purchased a Gauss Meter a few months ago because we needed it to measure the EMF’s coming off Power lines near houses we are looking to purchase.