The Best Bodyweight Exercises for Weight Loss and Strength (Fitness Week!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #836

Friday Jun 3 | BY |

Last day of Fitness Week!

Hope you enjoyed it…

Today, I’m going to focus on the best bodyweight exercises for weight loss. I can’t promise they’ll be easy, but I guarantee they’ll work!

Your question of the day: What is the most intense exercise you’ve ever done?

If you want over 100 more exercises just like these, be sure to check out our “Bodyweight Fundamentals” Exercise Book here: http://www.renegadehealth.com/bodyweight

1. Daniel Wahl says:

When I was on my Freshman Basketball team my Coach who wasn’t the nicest man would have us doing “Suicides”. They are def called that for a reason. The other name for them is “Wind Sprints”. He would do it at the end of practice and the torture would stop when the whistle blew. Not fun!!!

2. jazmin lee says:

Biking at 4300m half a day in Peru and then treking on the Inkan Trail the next days to Machu Picchu

3. Maerin Rosenfeld says:

hiked the Narrows

4. Matthew says:

It’s a tie between hot yoga and something called “peak fitness” coined by Dr. Mercola. Hot Yoga – in a heated 105 degree room, 26 poses done twice in a consistent fashion has left me with a detoxified, toned, mentally and spiritually clear body and mind. Any yoga though has major benefits.

Peak fitness is a term coined by Dr Mercola but has been around since well…forever. It’s really based on the simple fact that our ancestors 10,000 years ago ran short and fast distances to catch their meat (what meat??? ummm…sorry, but it’s true). The idea is to get your heart rate up then cool off, then get it up again. So for example, you do 30-45 seconds on an elliptical, bike or just sprinting, then 90 seconds cool. The sprint again for 30-45 seconds. The whole workout takes only 20 minutes! You elevate your growth hormone levels, you get an amazing workout done in 20 minutes and you feel great! I did it years ago not realizing that’s what it was. So I trade off between that and yoga. And lot’s and lot’s of stretching!

5. Mary Jo says:

I just finished a one month trial membership at 9Rounds which is a boxing/kickboxing gym where you work out through a circuit of 9 stations doing different exercises for 30 minutes. The workout is intense and includes the exercises you did in your video. I loved it! Unfortunately, I did not love the people who worked there. A lot of unnecessary negative energy. I have just started P90X which is also intense but 9Rounds has prepared me for it.

6. Karen says:

Whew – you wore me out just watching! This has been a great series of exercises this week. Thanks!

7. Sarah says:

The most intense exercise I ever got was a 5 day climb up the Rwenzori Mountains in Zaire, Africa (now, the Congo). Not much food to speak of, and I happened to have bronchitis at the time. Not a good scene, actually. I did it, though. But these days I am finding that there are many people who cannot do the level of exercise you demonstrated here. They might have severe arthritis, or some other kind of injury or even be wheelchair bound. So I find that a better overall workout for a lot of people is something more like Tai Chi or Chigung which can actually cause you to break a sweat if you do it intensively enough. The point is that one can do those things at the level one is capable of doing them. Kudos to you, though, Kevin for being as fantastically fit as you are!

8. john says:

I did the lands end to john o groates in 9 days on my bicycle with tent ond all other baggage lots of training before and with no help two years ago,still cycling

9. Donna says:

Advanced hour long spinning classes are the hardest thing I’ve done.

10. Kai says:

A friend shared the “Hot Mess” workout from BodyrockTV with me a few months ago.. I don’t know if it was the absolute most most intense exercise, but it was tough!

I also used to go to circus school, where some of our contortion (or, “con-torture”, as we fondly referred to it) training was pretty intense. Our instructor was Chinese, and I learned a little Mandarin while I was there- most often used were “sore”, “hurt” and “enough”.

11. Susan says:

Summer college break got a job with a crew that had a contract to make fire breaks and fuel breaks in the mountains east of Eureka, CA. Ax, polaski, shovel and chain saw for 8 hrs/day. Was too tired to stay up eat dinner half the time unless I took a plunge in the river. Arms so big I had to let out the side seams.

12. Terra says:

Thanks so much Kevin, for the great exercises you gave us this week–I’ve been incorporating them into my workouts, and I love them. Some of them I’ve done in the past and forgotten, and I appreciate being reminded; I’ve started doing handstands again-so fun!!
    The most intense exercise I’ve ever done is an advanced Ballet class, for sure! Although a fast Bollywood or Brazilian or Suhaila’s Bellydance class comes close. Now THOSE are full-body workouts!

13. Anne says:

Here is Vancouver, for an intense workout you go to the Grouse Grind (Grouse Mountain just 15 min from Downtown on the north Shore). Two guys devised this trail to be the hardest climb up the hill so anyone could get an intense workout outdoors just steps from home.

This is a great article on it from the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/doing-the-grind/article1230259/

The greatest part is after a gruelling climb on which most regular time themselves, you get to have a cup of tea at the top before coming down by gondola. And because of this there is no pain in your legs the next day (most pain comes from descending not ascending) so you get a great cardio workout and feel energise and have no reason to skip exercise the next day!

Anyone reasonably fit coming to Vancouver should try it!

14. Crystel says:

The hardest most intense workout I ever did was INSANITY by Beachbody. It just keeps pushing you and really burns the blubber off if you can stay with it.

15. Diana (Ohio) says:

Back in the eighties when gyms were teaching high impact aerobics, I had to teach my 50 minute class and then the two following because the instructors called in sick. What was the old saying, “no pain, no gain”.

Great demo Kevin, I will have to go back and catch up on the other ones now.

16. pure-col says:

The manner by which you make your meals is also very important. You can make a huge difference to your meals in when you are making them; for instance, the best way to cook vegetables is by steaming them.

17. Crystal says:

My six year old daughter, Faith, wanted to me to say that the most intense workout she has ever done was the Gilad Total Body Fitness DVD. She did the whole thing when she was 4 or 5.

18. Michele Comeau says:

LOVE what you have done with your show this week! Yes, yes, yes Kevin, exercising is critical to good health. Thank you.

Most intense exercise I’ve done is adapting Dr. Mercola’s Peak 8 workout to my home rebounder and mini stepper. SUPER intense and (as Matthew mentions above) can be done in 16 minutes. That and a super charged green smoothie is a terrific way to start the day!

19. oreganol says:

Great exercises. I’ll add this in to my current routine, which is already quite varies. I think variety is important, so it’s good to have lots of different exercises to choose from, as this stops you getting bored.

I haven’t done anything specific that’s intense, but working with a personal training is how I get to work with the most intensity.

20. Jeanne says:

I hiked the Grand Canyon in AZ in and out in one day with my two brothers. We didn’t bring enough food or water, so it was a real learning experience, and physically it took everything we had, and we did it!! Woohoo!

21. Jeanne says:

I hiked the Grand Canyon in AZ in and out in one day with my two brothers. We didn’t bring enough food or water, so it was a real learning experience, and physically it took everything we had, but we did it!! Woohoo!

22. Medkid says:

HIIT sprints
    Hardest though would be a marathon, but that is prolonged, not intense

23. Gail says:

I’m in terrible shape now and just getting DOWN on the carpet to do you ABS thing was killer (especially in the knees), but it wasn’t always so.
    In the 90’s I was in my best shape and decided I thought I was ready for “The Firm” tapes. Holy moly! For me, they were killer. But they sure WORKED!

You are always so fun to watch, Kevin! Love your humor!

24. Rodney says:

crossfit workouts, hands down. In particular- the “Fran”

25. Carolyn Landry says:

For me it would have to be the Breast Cancer 3-day when I walked 60 miles in 3 days. I tried to walk it briskly and on all three days I was in the top hundred reaching the finish line out of 1900 walkers.

26. Tara Burner says:

most intense was Insanity (its crazy! and am considering P90X since I get at cost being with the company) and burpee’s which I dont like doing but feel I ‘have’ to…
    now training for half marathon which I haven’t been able to do in about 30 yrs!

27. Bees says:

Vineman 140.6 mile triathlon in 90+ degree heat. A full day of Christmas shopping at a the mall with my mother would be a close second.

28. Beth says:

I hiked Jay Peak (in VT) once with some friends when I was completely out of shape. Thought I was going to die. My heart was pounding, couldn’t get my breath. But, I did it! And then I started exercising so I would never feel that bad again 🙂

29. Peggy says:

This is the first time that I make a comment. I think that I’m doing so because you said yourself that the hardest exercise for me was climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.

30. Dave says:

When I turned 55 I did my first Century bike ride alone from Ft. Wayne to Macy, Indiana and back (110 miles) in 6.25 hours. Then I had to cut the grass (3/4 acre with my push mower)

31. Nancy says:

I was trying to think and I came up with giving birth to my son. It was a home birth with 2 midwives and after the 1st push the midwife announced his heartrate had suddenly gone way down. We had to get him out now. We tried 2 more pushes in and 2 different positions and the midwife yells during the 2nd push that this was a good position and to keep pushing until he was out. What a great motivation to keep going and then the reward was a healthy baby. So great. I topped you all. I wish I had had a nice coconut recovery smootie afterward.
    Thanks for all you share with us