The Best Bodyweight Exercises for Toning Your Abs (Fitness Week!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #835

Thursday Jun 2 | BY |

Fitness Week continues…

Today, I focus on my kryptonite. Abs.

My lesson from being involved with exercise for so long is that you really do need to focus on the things that are the hardest for you to do. So when I do abs, I remember that I need to do them and I really have to focus.

Why? Because, I can’t say I enjoy doing these bodyweight exercises at all. LOL!

Anyway, check out these awesome exercises for toning your abs…

Your question of the day: Do one of these exercises, then tell us how it felt to do it!

If you want over 100 more exercises just like these, be sure to check out our “Bodyweight Fundamentals” Exercise Book here: http://www.renegadehealth.com/bodyweight

1. Bob Harrison says:

Just completed one set of the fabulous five ab exercises and found them to be very effective. The plank exercise with the arm and leg lifts was quite challenging. Will incorporate these exercises into my ab routine and teach others at my gym as well. Thanks so much for all the valuable exercise tips you’ve demonstrated this week.
    Bob Harrison
    Montreal

2. Annisa says:

sweaty and sleepy

3. nick says:

the last 2 ab exercises were good but the 1st 3 it would have been nice to be able to modify them to make it more challenging u were not clear on how many reps
    for the 1st few exercises but it might not have mattered I guess they were just 4 beginners.

4. Velda says:

Thanks so much, Kevin. I didn’t do them yet, but I am archiving these videos and will definitely begin. I think I will begin with the ab exercises, since I really need them 🙂 What you do is great and very helpful. Thanks you so much!!

5. kt_mm says:

hi, i have actually been taking a 30 minute core strength class at my local Y which incorporates ALL these moves! Very effective! One note on the lumbar roll or windshield wipers, the instructor said that you can make it more challenging by turning your hands so that the palms are face up. so for any of my fellow renegades, just offering up a tip. 😉 again, thank you kev and ann marie for all that you share!

6. Glo says:

Did the exercises. They weren’t too difficult, but were challenging enough for me. I feel good deep inside by core. Thanks!

7. jakjak says:

wobbly old white woman here from the U.K.
    thanks you for the encouragement, bit red in
    the face from being so low to the ground! and smug from trying ta, jakjak.

8. Tera says:

I love working my abs! these are some of my favorite ab workouts.

9. desri says:

Yey, did it, what a good start to the day, already done my tummy!

Thanks x

10. Kevin says:

Hey Kevin,

Nice workouts. My girlfriend gave me a tip on a variety on the plank exercise where you do it on your side.
    Where you have only one elbow down and leaning on the side of your foot, and lift up the leg on the top.

Very good workouts 🙂

11. oreganol says:

I have been doing ab exercises regularly for a few months, so these exercises are fairly easy for me now.

12. oreganol says:

Velda – don’t archive them, as you may never come back to them. It only takes a few minutes, so get started right away.

13. Dave W says:

I am even less enthusiastic about ab exercise than you but I am going to try some of yours next time at the gym.
    All except the one armed one legged plank (superman) my kids laughed when I fell over.

14. Darlene says:

These were actually easy and almost fun … so why do we associate ab exercises with taxes and the boogeyman? They really have a bad rap. Thanks Kevin!

15. mary says:

Hi:
    I am going to try the exercises. I anm so glad you are showing/telling us some body exercises.
    I have been doing walk/runs to the library and back and i am going back to the pushups and squats. yesterday I only did 55. Boy am I out of shape. (not too bad for 69). The pushups are great for osteoporosis. I aven’t broken anything since I started to do them. For a while I was up to 350, but decided I needed to slow down with them and do other things. So back to the pushups again! Also the abs. The only problem is that most people think that everyone has a computer at home or in their room, where they can do the exercises. I am writing them down. Thank you for anything and everything.

16. mary says:

AnnMarie:
    I like your recipies and others, but you don’t mention what some of the unusual ingrediences are or where tio get them. If I knew what they were and what they taste like maybe I could substitute. thank you

17. Tara Burner says:

I love plank and variation of plank!
    I hadn’t tried the ankle touch before, was pretty cool!
    Thanks 🙂

18. Regina says:

Kevin, great set of exercises! I do have a problem with your scissor kick. As a personal trainer you know that whenever you are simply bending at the hips your hip flexors are the predominant muscle being worked. It takes spinal flexion to engage the abs. At best the abs are being used to stablise the trunk with leg lifts, at a great risk to the lower back if they cannot do it well.

19. Beth says:

Both arms & both legs – LOL! You crack me up Kevin.
    Working my abs is my kryptonite too. Thanks for these, I’ll get working on it ASAP.

20. steve says:

Hello Kevin, my name is Steve I’m 53 yrs young; back in January I became a *Raw Vegan Vegetarian I started this year @325#’s now I am @ 215 I do a lot of health $ wellness research and the only supplement I take is B12. My question to you is what exercise can I do to tone up my middle area? I do some biking and use my rebounder ‘some what’ I d notice when rebounding I feel kind of sharp pains in the fat I do have left so I wear a kidney belt then it’s Ok. Again what do you recommend for toning back up?