A Raw Food Workout Recovery Shake : The Renegade Health Show Episode #834

Wednesday Jun 1 | BY |

Since we’re focusing on fitness this week, I decided to show you a workout recovery shake that we use from time to time…

This shake is a great source of amino acids, electrolytes, and minerals that will replenish your body and give you some after workout energy.

Your question of the day: What is your after workout recovery drink?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Kev’s After Workout Recovery Shake

1 Mango
2 Bananas
Water or 2 Coconuts
1-2 Tablespoons Ground Chia Seed
2 Tablespoons Chlorella
2 Tablespoons Plant Protein (Warrior Food or Sunwarrior)
1 Tablespoon Vitamin C
1/2 Teaspoon Kelp Powder

Blend!

1. Mary Artemis says:

coconut water however I haven’t been buying them lately since finding out they are dipped (4 how long?) in some nasty preservative which may leach through to the inside????

2. Carmen says:

This sounds delicious but isn’t this awfully high in sugars? I only weigh 120 pounds…I don’t need a whole mango and two bananas at one time. I think that would make me sick.

3. Joel says:

Just to let you know Kevin, this webpage wasn’t loading for me until now, I’ve been trying to view your shake recipe for days and days!
    I like what you talk about at 4 minutes into the video. I believe that as well. You can also put your questions (or desires) onto the universal consciousness grid and wait for an answer or manifestation. Sometimes you get answers fast, but its best to put aside some quiet time to RECEIVE answers and inspiration. If you feel as though your life isn’t going well its time to connect! Some people live in fear and stress to the point of almost panic attacks, which doesn’t leave room for positive energy in their life. I actually wrote a book on this, but I don’t want to turn this into an ad. If you wanna chat contact me at joel@brightlightsite.com. Remember that divine guidance comes complete with bliss.

Anyway… thanks for sharing your recipe! I’m a nutritionist and my “Emperor’s Milkshake” has evolved over the years. Obviously we’re not using pasteurized milk!

I usually make this shake when I wake up, not after workouts, but my recipe is…

24 ounces of filtered water with trace & fulvic minerals added back in (Coconut water would be even better but it costs $)
    You need an ounce of water for every gram of protein you ingest
    24 ounces of non-denatured whey or plant protein
    1-2 drops of liquid iodine
    1 tablespoon non-gmo lecithin
    1 tablespoon of MSM and a few drops of silica
    about two handfuls of organic greens like lettuce, beet greens, kale, cucumber or chard (that I usually get from my garden)
    1 tablespoon of raw, organic coconut butter
    1 teaspoon of powdered organic psyllium husk
    1 tablespoon of pre-soaked Chia Seed
    1 tablespoon Chlorella (or other green algae)
    1 tablespoon Vitamin C
    1 banana
    I don’t use much fruit because I always try to minimize sugar.
    + one digestive enzyme !

4. James Valentine says:

Two cups of almond milk, 2 scoops Warrior Whey,one raw farm fresh egg, two T coconut,1/4 C almonds, 1 T Coconut milk,1.5 T Biovitality, 1/8 t stevia, and some fresh garden greens like lettuce or kale. Keeps me going for 2 to 3 hours. I use this three times a week after doing a 20 minute bike and 20 minutes of Peak 8 as seen on the Mercola website.

5. Such strange comments! WOW! Reminds me of the people who used to come into my educational fitness stores in the eighties and who all had their own “special shake concoction” that they “swore” by. Nothing against the commentors here, but the ones I am talking about never even had any level of muscle or fitness to speak of. But they had to have their special shake! Face it guys! All you need to recover immediately and replenish is a a three hundred carb meal with a tiny bit of protein.; You can eat an hour later or have a bigger shake. And the best foods to have? Just the fruit with some dark greens. The rest is not needed Take it from me… been doing this for 35 years.. abd training others for 25 of those years. 100% raw since 2000 too. I learned in those three decades that 99.9% of the supplements and powder and “special ingredinents” are all just more work for you body to process and do not help your main goal: to recover.

6. Yes, I know what you mean about ideas & the universe … I had the thought many years ago …. Ideas are hanging in the atmosphere just waiting to be plucked out & used. It seems that when the time is right, many people pull them out of the air at the same time. How many times have I had a thought and then hear others talking about it, we are all connected to the source of knowledge and power, just have to learn to trust it’s validity.

Another Drink:
    The Base – Pear, Cucumber, some greens-Kale &/or Spinach, can add Banana & Kiwi Fruit, Protein Powder, … water or Coconut water
    Optional additions: Almond Meal, ground seeds: Chia, Sunflower, Sesame,& Maca
    I am like you, never measure just add this & that to taste.

7. Nadia Harper says:

After a workout, my idea of a recovery shake (or meal) is whatever is the easiest for my body to digest while being high in nutrition.

I stick to whole foods and will blend up fruits and vegetables with maybe some nuts and seeds.

Bananas, dates, almonds, chia, hemp seeds, berries, some greens.

Will be different depending on what is in season and what my body is asking for.

8. Robin Janis says:

I hear you Chris: the more whole raw foods I eat, the less powdered superfoods/protein supplements taste even like food! There are a few excellent sources of deydrated green powders but in general, they do not have the prana or life force that live, whole foods have or can have.
    And how about the sugar content of some of these shakes: lots of it for sure.

9. For sure, no powders or isolates needed, just fruit! Straight after a workout your body just needs the simple carbs, a little later it is good to get in extra protein from leafy greens.

I love lots of juicy fruit after workouts like mango, melons, grapes, or oranges.
    Then a little later I enjoy coco water blended with spinach… divine!

10. Mario S says:

Fabulous shake Keven!!
    Sometimes I add my green carrot juice to a similar version to yours just for expediancy but it does lighten it up.
    Thanks for yr invitation to Facebook, Your page is exciting.
    You may enjoy Alex Collier videos on you tube,
    esp. his 1994 and Exopolitics lectures in Hawaii..among many subjects he suggests fresh raw produce and more of an INDIGENOUS LIFESTYLE
    close to nature, grow yr own organics for those wanting children in the future. With the global situations,radiation etc. that I know you’re helping us all handle in your way( which we appreciate tremendously) we can use some help understanding the Players influencing us and their intentions.
    Aloha and Mahalo again, love you guys!!

11. Rachael says:

1 tblsp. organic lecithin
    2 large button mushrooms
    water.
    blen.
    yuuummmm…

13. Valorie says:

Dr. Mercola recommends not consuming sugar (I presume this includes sweet fruit drinks) for at least two hours after exercising.

14. Pamela says:

I use one of Brendan Brazier’s shakes:
    protein powder (hemp), maca, spirulina or chlorella, golden flaxseed, pear, banana, blueberries. Crushed ice and water to desired thinness. Sometimes I vary the fruit, sometimes I add sesame seed, coconut, or cinnamon.

15. briannaG says:

I have to agree with Valerie. I am skeptical that a high amount of sugar is the best thing to eat right after a workout, since it interferes with growth hormone levels… one of the reasons exercise is so good for us.

16. oreganol says:

Looks delicious, and all those fruits are very cheap in Thailand. And very fresh. 50c for a cocount. I’ll try this one out tomorrow after my workout.

17. shine says:

surprised to see you eating such high suger fruit..have you covered this topic in the past..be interested in your take on it

18. luv life says:

guys pls, one of the only times you should have high GI sugars is shortly after/during exercise to replenish glycogen stores. The source is what matters, don’t go for refined white stuff, HFCS or gatorade 😉 I like to do an energy drink of blended water, touch of sea salt for electrolytes, bit of maple syrup for glycogen and some goji berries for antioxidants (looks like carrot juice!) to fight off the free radicals created from exercise. One of my fav recovery smoothies is hemp hearts, figs (dried or fresh), banana, ground flax, spirulina, vit C-complex powder (buffered and w bioflavs)almond milk or coconut water whatever I have in store. Delicious! I also take L-glutamine to enhance recovery. When I do go the extra mile by doing all these uber awesome things, I don’t feel sore after I exercise, even when I push myself with extra weights or extended runs!

19. Ana Poirier says:

You know you can just put the mango in unpeeled with the Vita-Mix – do leave the pit out though : )
    It’s easier that way and adds a little extra dose of nutrients.
    As for some the debates above, I believe in “to each her own”!
    Smiles to all

20. LMAO! Kevin, you’re killing me! I was watching you make that shake and kept laughing my ass off. If you were in my kitchen, I’d kick you out so fast! Look at that mess you’re making! LOL! My kid hates being in the kitchen with me because I clean as I go. She always says, “Mom, it’s no fun with you because I like to get food EVERYwhere when I cook!” Apparently, you two are related!

This video was so fun to watch. Thanks for the chuckles!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

21. Nihacc says:

Apple-celery-parsley juice or a big piece of watermelon! 🙂