Sweet Sushi Raw Food Dessert (Part 2) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #831

Friday May 27 | BY |

Today, Ann is going to make this yummy dessert sushi roll with the banana leather she made yesterday…

Unlike yesterday, you can’t do this recipe all alone, so if you didn’t get to yesterday’s video, be sure to watch it first.

Here’s the raw food dessert recipe…

Your question of the day: Have you ever had sushi for dessert?

This recipe is from Natalia! If you want to get her entire book with all her fantastic recipes, click here: http://www.nataliakw.com/purepleasures.php

Sushi Wraps (AKA fruit leather)

3 bananas
10oz frozen blueberries, thawed
2 tbsp raw honey, softened (I only used 1 tbsp)
2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil, softened
Blend bananas, blueberries, and honey until smooth, and the oil and blend until just combined. Divide puree in half and pour onto 2 dehydrator trays lined with nonstick sheets. Spread out evenly (but not to thin.) Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8 hours.

Flip over and remove the nonstick sheet. Dehydrate for an other 3-4 hour or until dried all the way through. Store at room temperature.

Sticky Rice

1 cup raw macadamia nuts
3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp raw honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of sea salt

Place the macadamia nuts in the food processor. Process until the nuts are finely chopped and sticky. Add coconut and process again. Now add in the rest and pulse until well combined.

Fruit Filling

2 avocados
1/2 small papaya
1 small mango
1/4 pineapple
(I used much less fruit)

Cut all the fruit into strips.

Citrus Dipping Sauce

1 cup orange juice
2 tbsp raw honey (I used only 1 tbsp)
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger

Blend together until well combined

Putting it all together

Begin with a sushi wrap. Top with approximately 1/3 cup sticky rice. Press down to flatten, leaving about 2″ of open space on the top and bottom. Top the rice with fruit strips. Roll, keeping everything tight and secure. Use a little honey at the end to keep closed. Cut into bite size pieces and sprinkle the top with sesame seeds. Serve with dipping sauce.

1. Tammy says:

WOW! I love it! No I have never had sweet sushi but I cannot wait to make this for my children they are going to love it. Thank you and Namaste my Raw foody friends:)

2. Maia says:

Yes, I made a dessert sushi in my pre raw days with fruit leather, marshmallow treat “rice”, and and licorice or other candy center. Hard to imagine after 6 years of healthy eating! I made it to go in an assortment of cookies for holiday gift baskets. Thanks for sharing this version.

3. Jeanine says:

Great recipe…very clever. Inspires me to blend the ‘sticky rice’, then layer rice with the fruit slices onto seaweed nori. The balance of sweet and salty would be good, I am thinking. I can imagine it with some lettuce or baby spinach in there too. Yum. Thanks for the ‘sticky rice’/sushi idea.

4. Dee says:

This looks so good. I have a recipe of hers for a dressing that I love. I will have to get her cook book.

5. This looks so great, too much work though, and I would even remove the avocado. Don’t know about you, but my stomach reacts very badly to the avocado nut combination.

6. Hi guys,
    This looks delicious! I appreciate Annmarie’s judicious adjustments to the sweet and fat content, but couldn’t help adding in some flax meal (that I ground up in the coffee bean grinder)– oh me of little faith. I also subbed strawberries for blueberries for the wrap, so we’ll see how that pans out… the ‘batter’ tasted great.

Also, no macadamia nuts, so I’m soaking almonds, & will process them up.

Thanks for the delicious recipe! Love you!
    ~Cynthia

7. Parsley says:

That looks awesome! I imagine those would be super to surprise my standard-diet friends with, showing them how awesome my diet is. 🙂 I have a round dehydrator with a hole in the middle which is great for making apple-chips, but not so much for “sweet nori” and such. I will have to focus on getting an excalibur. 🙂

Btw, I’ve been following your shows for almost two years now but this is the first time I’ve commented. (I guess I’m a bit shy even when anonymous!)
    I really love your shows and I’ve learned so much trough you guys!
    Thank you for doing this! 🙂

8. JK says:

great idea…. banana wrapper is superb.

and tuck those fingers under your knuckles when you cut those rolls please~~ no cut fingers on the show!

good work once again… thx

9. lenore says:

hello kevin,
    please forgive me for using your blog to contact you regarding this. i left a message at your ‘contact’ number yesterday but no one has yet returned my call & its been 23 hours. maybe i’m juat a bit ‘antsy’ but i feel the sooner this gets resolved the better.
    yesterday, i received an ‘order’ i put in for some of your products. i opened it right away. two of the items i ordered were the tooth soap whip and the tooth brightener. while i did receive the tooth soap, there was no tooth brightener to be find. i seached the box and wrappings thoroughly…but still no brightener. niether was there a ‘back order notice’ on it.
    i was, however, charged full price for it.
    i do have an idea re: how this happened. it is the first time there has been a problem with one of my orders from you.
    would you please make sure someone contacts me asap re: this problem?

my name is: lenore nieters
    order # 1305771552-500
    the item in question is the tooth brightner for which i paid $21.95.
    my phone is 619 449-0192
    my e-mail is ladylightln@yahoo.com

i hope to get a response soon.
    thank you!
    and keep having fun on your adventure!! 🙂

sincerely, lenore

10. Andrew says:

That’s really cool – thanks guys, I’ve never heard of fruit leathers before or any kinda dish of such description. I don’t have a dehydrater yet nor a food processor – but I’ll definitely be giving these a go first chance I get.

11. altopod says:

Sushi is made with vinegared rice. Where’s the vinegar?

12. lenore says:

kevin

your crew has contacted me by e-mail & assures me the ‘brightener’ is on the way.

thank you!!

god bless you & annemarie & all your crew, too!

sincerely,
    lenore

13. jackie says:

Altopod,
    I don’t think she’s making a sushi per se…it’s a dessert “sushi”, which is different. Vinegar probably wouldn’t taste too good in this recipe.

14. Melissa says:

No, I’ve never had dessert sushi, but I wouldn’t mind! This looks absolutely beyond yummy! 😀

15. Mario S says:

Fabulous as usual!

The coconut sticky rice is a great idea.
    For those who have sensitivity to sugars I suggest tossing the shredded coconut in coconut vinegar and aminos and your favorite spices then roll up with fave sushi contents. Calif rolls anyone.
    AHHH then this fruit roll for a heavenly dessert!!
    Muy Bueno Apetito’

16. Satori says:

oooo I used to use the same honey you guys use! I bought it from Ralph’s believe or not. That was the healthiest looking honey in the market, but I didn’t know if that one was good enough for you guys to use!

17. lisa says:

I don’t mean to be so disagreeable, but I think you need to do more research into the agave vs. coconut syrup issue.

Coconut sugars are a combination of fructose and glucose and are deemed unsafe for diabetics b/c the levels can range so much and still have a deleterious effect in the body (not just for diabetics, but it is a good indicator for all).

Agave, on the other hand, (only RAW agave) is made of un-digestible oligosaccharides and actually contributes to beneficial gut bacteria.

Just some ideas. Thanks.

18. Pete says:

Enjoyed the two videos very much – will certainly make it – one comment – would it be possible to move the logo in the videos to the top right corner as not to obstruct what is being filmed. Thanks

19. Laurel says:

Just wanted you to know that I have been watching and following you for quite awhile now… have never left a comment and felt it was time to do so.

Love all the information and recipes that you share. I write a blog and have a link to your website posted on my site.

Thanks for everything that you both do to enlighten us!

Laurel

20. Tammie says:

I love to watch Ann Marie prepare recipes…I think you should submit a video to the Food Network and lobby to get a series cooking raw. I think it would have a great following!!
    Thanks~

21. Just as I only go to the restaurant that has chocolate mentioned in the menu, I’ll eat sweet sushi if it includes chocolate 😉

22. Kai says:

Nope, haven’t made or had sweet sushi.

But my 4 year old daughter loves your videos and is begging me to make these… and watch some more “Ken and Jenny PLEASE!! PLEASE some more Ken and Jenny!” LOL!

23. Carol Lani Johnson says:

I heard that you should use a wooden sppon with honey and not put metal in your honey. Anybody else know anything about that? Recipe looks wonderful, thank you!

24. Velda says:

This looks great!! I will definitely try it …. which I get a dehydrator. BTW, Annmarie, how is it you were using your citrus juicer wrong. I have one, and I think use it the same way you do …. fruit sliced in half, cut side up? It seems to work quite well. Can’t imagine how else you would use it. Thank you,

25. Kai says:

We just made this. Fabulous. I totally agree with your adjusted amounts of honey, too, by the way. (So glad I picked up some macadamias a couple weeks ago- not something I usually have at home)