Can Raw Foods Help with Depression? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #809

Wednesday Apr 27 | BY |

I once was depressed…

I would wake up, stay in bed and not want to do anything. It drove to to drink and abuse my relationships. It was a pretty awful scene.

Getting out of it, in my case, involved changing the foods and substances that I put in my mouth, exercising and adjusting my thoughts.

Could that be the recipe for you too?

Take a look at today’s show and find out.

(In this episode, I also talk about lowering cholesterol as well.)

Here you go…

Your question of the day: Have you been depressed? What did you do?

1. eyla says:

Yes, I have! It’s ongoing, but not insurmountable 🙂

There are countless things which I have successfully used,
    Exercise, sunlight, fresh air, hydration, aromatherapy (citrus oils in particular), live foods and removal of processed foods and sugars, adaptogens like Gotu kola and ginseng.
    Don’t underestimate the power of the simple stuff.

Reishi is also incredible for initiating those ‘oh, I get it..’ moments, helps with introspection and coming to either understand things or find ways of having a better perspective and approach to problems or difficult circumstances…

2. eyla says:

Can I just add that depression is different for everyone, in some cases it’s the natural reaction to a sad situation,
    one person may be depressed because they are facing a difficult situation,
    someone else may be deficient,
    someone else may not know why they are depressed,
    someone else may have blood sugar issues, heavy metal toxicity etc,
    we are all unique and we should remember to try and learn to listen to our bodies through it all and ask for help if we need it. X

3. Theres says:

First I went to a Psychologist. It helped a lot to talk about everything and to work on past issues. I also took different antidepressants, which made me dull and didn’t help much. That was the point when I started to look for a more natural approach. After some changes with the food I ate and doing more exercises I felt a little better. But what really made the difference was yoga. Since I started to practice yoga I haven’t felt depressed once! I feel happy and balanced and I’m full of energy. I practice vinyasa yoga about twice a week and yin yoga once a week.

4. Laura says:

My salvation was to get shiatsu in a regular basis.

5. Tara says:

A very wise person once explained to me that depression was just that, a depression in your aura. The depression is a result of being hit. This may sound strange to some until you recall when you may have been “hit” energetically by something really mean or shocking and how it felt like depression (if only for a short while). These types of things are possibly happening in our busy world with and without out knowledge.

A strong aura will often withstand this. A super sensitive individual (like a lot of us vegans) may feel it more acutely. An unhealthy person will not bounce back so easily. So how do you get a strong aura? Healthy and supportive diet, relationships, and exercise.

Whole vegan foods contain a healthy, thriving energetic. Relationships that reflect this as well will be healthy and supportive. One without the other may continue the depression. Exercise brings new energy into the body and clears out the old. All are surely to place you on the path of healing. Also, I highly recommend energetic healing to clean up any energetic debris from current situations and the past and get you back in balance again.

6. imlivingandlearning says:

I WILL feel emotions that could CONTRIBUTE to depression if I don’t hear that you are researching the elevated cancer/cultured, fermented foods link. 🙁

…in expectation…

🙂

7. paul says:

I do alot of things when I’m depressed.
    EFT (tapping), listen to inspirational speakers, meditate, exercise… but most importantly… I’ll mix up a nice big drink with my plant based protein, raw cacao and a little raw honey. This always does the trick! Especially the cacao. That alone makes me feel great. I hope this helps somebody else as much as it helps me.

8. Heidi says:

Kevin,
    I love how real you are! I think the full spectrum of B vitamins are a great thing to remember for depression too. Honeydew melons have lots of B, I also take desiccated liver pills. I was a vegetarian for ten years and in and out of depression. I am O positive blood type and have gone back to eating grassfed meats now and I feel awesome! For me, a good piece of meat or a good fast run gets me out of moodiness everytime!
    Thanks for what you do!!!

9. Katherine says:

I took the anti depressants, they lifted me off the bottom but then left me feeling numb and empty. Counselling/therapy helped a little. Throwing myself into a theatre project, getting active, getting involved, finding something to get passionate about again; that’s what really made a difference.
    Since I’ve been diabetic (almost 11 years) I started to get down again and looking at the food I eat has definitely made a difference there. Dance, Pilates and yoga help enormously too. Hormones certainly have much to answer for…

10. Faye says:

I am inclined to think it depends on what has made you depressed. I’ve had the opportunity to be depressed a couple times in my life to the point of seriously comtemplating suicide. Simply not wanting to get out of bed in the morning and spending far too much time alone without friends and family to support you is a good sign of depression at some level.
    Of course, eating a healthy diet and avoiding processed foods is very good for anyone. I found that food was my comfort when I was in my throws of depression and to try and get up from it all and even think about eating properly wasn’t something I condidered at the time.
    It was when I made ‘changes’ in several areas of my life that things began to turn around and then I found my passion again, as Katherine (above) mentions. Getting focus back and having a goal or some plans for your future are very important. Good friends around that understand and support “you” not the depression are also very important.
    I think if we go back to what you were sharing a couple weeks ago about the different personalities and characteristics of who we are, could come into this discussion as well.
    As always, thank you Kevin for your time and energy put into bringing us some good things to think about. I also want to mention how much I love the comment section and look forward to it almost as much as your videos and articles. 🙂

11. Marti says:

Left an abusive relationship, put 1600 miles distance that helped the most. Hiking in nature grounds me. Dancing and cardio-combat with punches and kicks to music work out the frustration. Am putting my life back together.

12. oregano says:

I haven’t suffered from depression but I have always noticed that whenever I do 30 mins of cardio in the gym, it realy lifts my mood. Since I’ve been exrecising regularly for 3-5 times a week I find the my general mood is much better and much more even throughout the day.

I can definitely feel the difference in mood from times I didn’t exercise at all. Getting to sleep before 10pm is also best for giving your body the rest it needs. I think this also helps with mood.

Eating junk food tends to lower my mood.

So for me, a good night’s sleep, healthy food and regular exercise work great.

13. Yamina says:

I have never been depressed. If it exists a contrary of this notion, I am up-pressed. I never stay in bed, cause I hate bed. I hate sleeping. A really waste of time. To cure depression, there’s only one solution : getting so poor that you cannot thrive and are nearly dying of starvation. This will make you surely the most undepressed people in the world. But don’t look at the english women clothing ! This will kill you ! Never seen such awfull christmas trees !

14. rachel says:

Kevin, thanks for your honest comments. You are wonderfully real.
    I find depression is also when you are not living your best, when your life or some big part of it is not in harmony with your soul. Absolutely– eating right and getting plenty of exercise has helped me. I love being busier and getting outside in nature. Making important changes are also vital regarding my job, clutter, family, and geographic location.
    I had a close male friend years ago. He was single (as I am) and macrobiotic and I found he got very depressed every so often. It was amazing how he started consuming unhealthy foods, according to his needs,(hot dogs, sweets, ice cream, white flour products…) at the same time to try and feed his emotions (but not his body). I think we all have done this to stuff our needs.
    I also knew someone who was a recovering drug addict and alcoholic. Certainly, she definitely was attracted to the substances when she felt worse about herself.
    namaste’, rachel

15. Dee says:

Yes, I changed my diet. Did hair analysis and found out I was copper toxic and did supplements and diet changes. Added more protein, b vitamins, lots of greens.

16. SmithA says:

My husband’s depression improved when he stopped eating gluten. Then we realized that the remaining symptoms resolved completely when he stopped eating corn. It’s hard to keep away from gluten and corn, but not as hard as trying to function with depression. So, that’s my two cents.

17. shine says:

yes – id say at the time itw as rebirthing that got me out of that space..i still get depressed now – im not sure if its more than just having chronic fatigue for 18 years of more than that..of course it does mean i cant exercise – i use herbs and homeopathy and flower essences and eft to help me along

18. Sue Rushford says:

Martial Arts – finding a passion, something to redirect my energies into.

19. nicole says:

I’ve never suffered from depression, until about a year ago. My energy changed, my mood changed, I always felt tired, my stomach would scream at me after eating certain foods, I would get panic attacks daily, and the lymph nodes in my throat were so swollen. I was 19 years old at the time and had no idea what was wrong with me. I visited many doctors and they all told me I had anxiety, (Duh) but whyy???!! I wasn’t getting the answers I needed so I decided to do some research and diagnosed myself with silent reflux, and the last doctor I saw agreed. He prescribed me a bunch of medication but with doing my own research I am convinced that changing my diet will reverse these symptoms. Your show has helped me a lot! I’ve been eating a raw diet for about a week now and exercise everyday. It’s only been a week so I haven’t seen any big changes but I’m I haven’t had any panic attacks so I feel I’m moving in the right direction :]

20. Jacquie says:

Yes, I’ve dealt with depression. I can totally keep it at bay by exercising, eating lots of good raw green foods and meditation/EFT. I also learned to say “no” to so many things in my life. I learned to take care of myself and put myself first. The decrease in stress was amazing.