Raw Food Tips for Diabetics : The Renegade Health Show Episode #808

Tuesday Apr 26 | BY |

A question came in a few days ago that asked what are some of the best raw foods for diabetics to eat to help lower their blood sugar…

The good news is that there are plenty!

Today, I answer this question as well as what is the best way to start with raw foods.

Your question of the day: What is one food that you think is a staple for a raw foodist?

To check out the Simply Raw documentary, please click here!

1. Shelby says:

KALE!

smoothies/chips/salads… Mmmmmmm, so versatile!

2. Courtney says:

‘There is a Cure for Diabetes’ by Dr. Cousens is also a great book to look to.

3. Tamikko says:

I was thinking Kale but I think Chia is the most important to me, even though Kale is always there too. 🙂

4. QC says:

Bananas!

My husband is a type 1 diabetes. He’s on the 801010 diet, doing fantastic in his 40’s!

5. BaNanas…and celery!!

I am curious why you are concerned about fruits with a “high glycemic index”? When in reality it is the glycemic load that determines how it affects your blood sugar. For instance the glycemic index of bananas seems high when you see the gi at 52 but then when the water level is considered you see the gl is only 14. A better example ahh watermelon a diabetic nightmare gi of 72!! but then the gl is only 8. Where one might not even consider their rice, grains, and tubers as being a high gi/gl, they are all considerably higher than any fruit. The American diabetic association encourages the consumption of all fresh fruit.

Just curious, why they fruit fear?

Personally I believe Gabriel Cousens does great things but his book and recipes are so incredibly high in fat my digestion was bogged down for days when I tried this diet.
    Thanks for the info!
    Best,
    Christie

6. Teemu says:

Today i feel like doing something different, so i leave a post (wich i never done before :).
    I don’t consider myself as a raw foodist, but lot’s of the stuff that i eat, is mostly fresh, raw, organic food. So for ME the one food is wild berries! Specially blueberry.
    I live in northern Finland and i think we have the best berries in the world! 🙂

Thanks for all the good info, much respect!

Nothing but good day to everyone!!

Teemu/Finland

7. Nicola says:

DR YOUNG’S WARNING ABOUT THE DANGEROUS OF UNHEALTHY BLOOD

“The body runs on electrons NOT on calories, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, protons, and especially not sugar. Sugar in all of its forms is a waste product or acid of fermentation/rotting or degenerating matter. All sugars whether natural or artificial will compromise the delicate pH balance of the blood and tissues leading to all sickness and disease, including degenerative disease such as MS, RA and cancerous conditions.

The more I look at the blood of those who claim knowledge about health the more I realize that the blood never lies – people do! Do NOT trust the words of man or woman. Put your trust in God and believe HIS words – “For the life of all flesh is the blood.” Life and death is in the blood.

Those who claim health, vitality and fitness can be validated by testing the blood using standard medical tests and alternative blood tests such as live and dried blood microscopy. The results of the live and dried blood microscopy can be validated with a complete blood panel, metabolic panel, inflammatory panel and cancer panel. These tests are done everyday by medical doctors.

The process of building healthy blood and then healthy body cells is found in those who feed their body’s blood building foods. These include, all green vegetables and fruit, alkaline water, healthy long chain polyunsaturated oils and liberal amounts of mineral salts.

Out of the 500,000 samples of human blood I have viewed I have NEVER seen healthy blood in ANYONE who is ingesting high sugar fruit, eating animal protein, including fish, dairy products, eating bread, smoking pot, and especially drinking wine, coffee, tea or chocolate, even if raw.

If you seek extraordinary health, energy, vitality and fitness then you have the true path – the blood.”

8. lisa says:

AVOCADOS!! are a must.

9. steve says:

We as “Raw vegans” take Vit. B12 & E as there are none in our veggies. If eating a big salad I will take enzymes to help in digesting. My suggestion to Beautiful would be amino acids and good fats, (soaked nuts, seeds, avocados homemade nut cheese, & yogurt) but not while in the weight loose stage but defiantly for maintenance

10. Roberta McMillian says:

CELERY! keep the great work Kevin!

11. Dee says:

Lettuce for me and my turtles. Strawberries, pineapple, hemp.

12. Kim says:

Raw sunflower seeds!

13. Janet says:

I just started eating a raw food diet 10 days ago and the one thing I wouldn’t be without right now is a recipe book. In there you have all the wonderful ways to make and create a raw food diet for all meals of the day and the list of ingredients will tell you what to use and what to stock in your pantry and fridge. The book I bought was by Jennifer Cornbleet called Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People. She is excellent, it’s a simple introduction to the process and I am loving my new vitality, energy and am dropping weight like it was my job. I lost 50 pounds over the past year with a popular points program, but I learned a lot in that process and now am ready for the final step, which is treating my body like it deserves to be treated, as the temple it is, and putting only raw, healthy food into it is one of those ways I feel I can treat it optimally. I have been eating a TON of nuts and am still dropping weight, so I don’t agree with the comment by Steve about not incorporating nuts while in the weight loss stage. They are good fats and are helping my body to release its stored fat. I know I have a wealth of information to still learn, but Kevin, you are so right, I replaced my morning coffee routine with a green juice (barley grass) and psyllium seed and it’s like my body craves it when I wake up. It’s like, Oh, Happy Day, it’s a brand new day and I get to have my greens. That’s literally what I feel like when I’m mixing it up. And then I eat some berries and fruit (apples, grapefruits, bananas) with nuts and ground flax seed and add maybe some hemp seeds or bee pollen and raw coconut, just whatever sounds like it would be appetizing. I drink TONS of good, pure water. For lunch I have any kind of salad you want or an avocado on sprouted grain bread and then dinner is more greens and vegetables with spices. Or last night I made raw food spaghetti from my book, which is zucchini used as spaghetti and the marinara sauce created in the food processor using sun dried tomatoes and other ingredients, with a small salad, and it was wonderful. The book I purchased is very helpful and I’m sure you will find a good one for yourself if you don’t choose that one. The rewards are FANTASTIC, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and it all comes together.

14. Donaji says:

Oranges, lemons, apples, avocados, lettuce, tomatoes, bananas, cucumbers, celery, kale, chard, carrots, ginger, garlic, vitamin D. Those are my staples 🙂

15. nick says:

blueberries

16. Rita Romney says:

Well Kevin, I thought my best stable was raw organic spinach to use in my morning smoothies. But then I read the osteoporosis material that I purchased from your website, and low and behold the good doctor says spinach is not good for those with osteo. I think he even said there is a compound in it that is poisonous. So, I am going to have to rethink what my staple should be. Any suggestions?

17. hyesun says:

raw eggs!!

(some of you might want to throw some rotten raw eggs at me 🙂

18. Mary says:

KALE…..NO GREEN TASTES BETTER TO ME

19. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Rita: Spinach does have oxalic acid, but it should not be feared. Dr. Williams explains that less is better, which does not mean none. 🙂

20. Rita Romney says:

Thanks for getting back to me, Kevin. Now the question becomes what amount of spinach is ok. I ask this because I am used to putting in about two large fistfuls of spinach into my smoothie, each and every morning. Would that be considered too much? Maybe I could rotate the kale, cilantro, and other greens every other day? So three days a week of two fistfuls of spinach would be ok?

21. Suzy says:

Avocados.

22. Lori says:

Avocados are my most important raw food, green smoothies are not the same without them. Add a little stevia and lemon, no sweet fruit is needed!

Dr. Gabriel Cousens book There is a Cure For Diabetes has great information for diabetics. As a Type 1 diabetic I can attest to the fact that most fruits DO raise blood sugar to fast and to much!

23. Carol says:

We always like to keep on hand the makings for our favorite cereal which I make myself. I chop up into small pieces 1 organic apple, 1 banana chopped up small, a tablespoon of ground flax seeds, a little stevia, a few raisins, along with a few soaked walnuts, sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds, I then pour my home made almond milk over it all and we enjoy our yummy breakfast! We like to have our green smoothie for lunch.

Kevin & Annmarie thank you for always giving us the info we need.

Stay strong by taking time out for each other. We’ve been very happily married for 35 yrs so that’s just one of our secrets to a very happy long marriage.
    Carol & Tom

24. Omar says:

I have to agree about the raw eggs 🙂
    Greens are more important but there are so many different greens and variety is what makes them so good. But there is only 1 kind of EGG :). Also Goat yogurt is my all time favorite food.

25. Nadine Vorster says:

Hi Kevin
    One thing is for sure you can never please everybody. I have read through the comments and find that some people will always rather stick to their doctor’s advise or they will criticize what ever good advise is given.
    I think it is wonderful Teemu that you have blueberries available in Finland. It is almost a no-no here where I live and very expensive. So enjoy while it is there. Lots of advise for diabetics and I love all the different fruits mentioned and veggies off course. Love reading what people have to say. Go well.

26. Drew says:

Apples!! so easy to pick up and munch on whilst deciding what to eat for lunch or dinner!! A fantastic snack!!

27. Yamina says:

Apples.

28. Christina Dodson says:

FLAX – so important!

29. Patricia says:

Hi Kevin

Awesome and breathless website. Always keep my eyes peeled to your website. LOVE the raw food diet but in Malaysia berries are very, very expensive. Roughage would be spinach and I would add some kelp powder + some celery and cilantro to my smoothie. Hmm .. Hmm .. yummy!

God bless people like you for making us an healthier person.

Patricia

30. Chris G. says:

Apples! Eating an apple a day can extend your life by decades!

31. Neeltje says:

I almost never leave a comment, because many people can write down much better what I want to say. The comments I read here are (most of the time)so nice. Thanks Kevin, Annmarie and everyone for the nice information.
    The one ingredient I like to put in my diet is something I can get direct from my garden or the forest we live. I’m not an expert in edible plants, but I’m learning. For now here in the Netherlands you can find so many stinging nettles, dandelion and more. So this is what I try to add in my food almost everyday.

32. Beth says:

I always start my day with a Green Smoothie. At least 36 oz.

33. Jasmine says:

Your hair is lookin RIL nice! Bring back da ‘fro!

Current staple:

Spirulina

34. Patty says:

The most important staple for a wanna be “greenie” is a high-quality blender. I purchased a HomeTEC ($400 – ouch), but it changed my life! With a 3 HP motor (could run a lawnmower), it juices even the pulp. Cleanup is a breeze – fill with soapy water, blend & it’s clean. No more scrubbing fine mesh filters like a juicer.

In the morning I juice cilantro, strawberries or an apple, carrots, dandelions or spinach, chard, horseradish, celery, stevia, and 16 ounces water. I end up with 3 full glasses (one to start each meal), and a small thimble full for the cats.

One thing interesting about adding juiced greens to wet cat food. One of our cats was diagnosed with kidney stones. We figured out it was the oxalic acid in the daily spinach (their bodies are so much smaller than ours), so I no longer juice spinach for them, and only once a week for me.

35. I am a diabitic and hypertensive. I am 58years of age.My recipe for raw foods are,bitter melon,pumpkin,carrots,cucumber,ochro,cabbage,tomatoes,radish,beetroot,ginger,turnip,spinich,garlic,sweetpeppers they are blended with warm water. Also I used a lot of fresh fruits and raw nuts of different varieties.I exercise with weights and I also used a lot of eggs and fishes. I do not eat meat.I also used a lot of flaxseeds which I crushed on my magic bullet.My supplements are aminoacids 2700 and life force multiple vitamins.

36. Anne says:

For me, definitely avocados. I eat at least one maybe two large avocados everyday and they are super easy to digest and do not overload my digestion like eating too many nuts do.

37. Medkid says:

frozen berries

38. Roberta says:

Blue Green Algae…in & on everything…in a powder form with probiotics and enzymes already added into the powder. [from the Simplexity Health Co./Klamath Falls, OR]

39. Jacquie says:

Definitely greens for my smoothies. Good luck to you, Beautiful! Sending you love, light and sparkles <3