How to Make a Hard Raw Vegan Cheese (Part 2 Cheese Series) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #805

Thursday Apr 21 | BY |

Yesterday, Heather Haxo Phillips showed you how to make a soft dairy free cheese base…

Today, she’s going to show you how to make a harder cheese using the same base.

Be sure to watch Part 1 here before you watch this one.

Your question of the day: What is (or was) your favorite cheese?

Here’s today’s raw vegan recipe for hard cheese:

Hard Dairy Free Nut Cheese

(For the beginning of this recipe, please set this video and post: Part 1 Cheese Making)

To develop a rind on the cheese, put the cheese in a nut milk bag lined mold. Refrigerate for 8 – 10 hours so the cheese can set. Then dehydrate at 105 degrees on a teflex lined tray for an additional 24 – 36 hours.

Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, Nut Cheese it will last for up to two weeks.

If you want to learn more about Heather Haxo Phillips, please click here: http://www.rawbayarea.com/

1. Jasmine says:

Oh my god. I haven’t had cheese since 2008. I don’t even know! I would imagine all taste pretty darn good!

2. Mar Raw says:

Kevin GIANNI, guess!

Parmigiano Reggiano, that was tasty stuff.

3. Lorrie says:

My favorite cheese was provolone and mozerella.

4. QC says:

I used to love a Italian blue cheese called gorgonzola. I haven’t touched it for at least 4-5 years. Not even remember the taste of it…

5. eyla says:

Wow, what a great idea to dehydrate it, I’d say it cultures more through the process too, making it taste more ripe….
    My favourite cheese, that’s a hard one, I loved all cheeses but if I had to chose just one I suppose it would have to be good old cheddar!

6. Lois says:

Bleu Cheese! Feta! Gorganzola! Stilton! Havarti! All of it!

7. Heather Hemphill says:

Oh I love cheese especially Parmigiano Reggiano and Blue Cheese.

8. TJ says:

Can you make this without a dehydrator?

9. Hobie says:

You mentioned a study about Rosemary and other herbs used to help with alopecia. My wife has lost all her hair, alopecia universalis starting in July of last year. Would you be able to share the study you were looking at or to share the source of the rosemary-herb mixture? We are looking for any suggestions or ideas we can get to help her hair grow back. Thanks.

10. Kathleen says:

Pepperjack, provolone, Monterrey, and cottage cheese were my favorites! Daiya cheese has been my vegan vice the past year! 🙂
    Thank you for sharing this awesome cheesy information!

11. Page says:

I used a lot of mozzarella, reg/parm and sharp cheddar in my cooking. Haven’t used them in a long time. I’ve tried the Daiya “cheese” but it just doesn’t satisfy the palate. I’m going to try the almond “cheese” as I happen to have some raw almonds on hand!

12. Sue says:

My favorite cheese used to be chocolate cheese! Even though I don’t really like chocolate, I loved that kind of cheese! Each store that sells it makes it differently, but I enjoyed all the kinds I ever sampled!

13. Gen says:

I love many dfferent cheeses, especially the unpasteurized ones like Emmentaler. Sorry, but there can be no substitute for real cheese. I’ve tried vegan cheeses and did not like them at all. I guess if you haven’t had it in many years, a substitute would be okay.

Interesting though.

14. lisa says:

hard and stinky aged provolone!! i still dream about 😉

15. Charlotte says:

My favorite are goat milk cheeses!

16. Bob Lewanski says:

Where do you get a nut milk bag lined mold?
    Please advise what this is and where to buy. She didn’t explain where to get this item or what
    it is. Or could I just use a double cheese cloth.
    Bob L
    Health Force REsearch Center
    Troy, MI

17. Carol says:

How long do nut cheeses last and can they be frozen?

18. RickiRaspberry says:

These seemed so easy to make! I am definitely going to try this. I will buy a small spring-form pan to use for my cheeses. I think I would add some cayenne pepper or chopped jalapeno and some turmeric for color. Wow, dehydrating them is a great idea!

I buy “paint-strainer” bags at the hardware store. I buy the 5-gallon size. I wash them out VERY WELL several times. They cost around 3 dollars for 2 of them! So reasonable! There are small, one-quart sized ones, too. So inexpensive. Just be sure to wash out numerous times. They dry in about 5 minutes.

Can’t wait to try to make the almond cheese! Thank you so much for these demos!

19. xplorexpress says:

My favorite cheeses were St-André and Fèta… but, for the moment, I am still making my own cheese from yogurt… so… seeing these videos, I will switch… seems very good.

Thank you both of you… Oh! Kevin, my friend says he really like you skin… you look great.

20. Berries says:

soft goat cheese, drunken goat cheese, sheep gorgonzola, stilton,
    sheeps milk camembert . . . .wow that’s a lot of cheese

21. Cassie Rhea says:

Awesome! Thank you! I have been sporadically searching for a nut cheese recipe for about the past month. I’ve been buying the nuts to make the cheese, but eat them before I find a recipe, lol…This looks simple and yummy!
    I have had almond “cheddar” cheese in the past and LOVED it!!!
    As for my favorite cheeses – feta and sharp cheddar! 🙂

Thank you, again!
    Peace!

22. Ying says:

Pecorino di Pienza, most delicious goat cheese!

23. Blair says:

oh my gosh, i used to be obsessed with havarti as a child. I later moved on to feta and goat, but now I am almost grossed out by cheese.

24. Lacey says:

Do the nut cheeses need to be refrigerated after making? If not, how long do you think they will keep without refrigeration?

25. Leam says:

Enjoy almost any type of cheese in very, very small sliver just to taste. Years ago, favorites were goat gouda, ricotta salata, and feta. Kind of ODed on cheese therefore now tiny amounts very infrequently.

26. […] Be sure to watch Part 1 here before you watch this one. (Here’s Part Two also: click here.) […]

27. Trinka says:

I haven’t had cheese for over 25 years, but my faves are still Feta and Munster and mozzerella sometimes on pizza! Feta tastes better on pizza to me. my question to all is this, what “probiotics” powder should i use, a single acidopholus or a multi? If I’m going to make “cheeze”, might as well do it right!!

28. Kevin, thank you for sharing this recipe with us. One think to note, the E3 Live probiotic is grown on dairy so it’s not technically vegan. But I have launched my own line of raw vegan products RAWbundant and my Fermented Feta and Cream Cheezes are my best sellers! I use organic Balinese cashews and dairy-free probiotic to give them authentic Bulgarian Feta Cheese taste. My technique is based on my Bulgarian grandmother Mirkah. I’d love to mail you some of my cheeze for you to sample. 🙂

Check out my blog Bulgarian Feta Cheeze Salad where I use my Raw Vegan Feta Cheeze. You can see how it looks like. It’s hard and can crumble just like Feta! Truly delicious!

29. rachel says:

Awesome recipes! thanks so much.
    I know some people make sunflower seed cheeses but have never tried them.
    Favorite? RAW goat cheese. I have tried vegan
    cheeses, they taste like extremely salty
    rubber to me, and some were truly awful!.
    namaste’, rachel

30. Sarah says:

Does anyone know where we can get the round snap together mold she uses to make the cheese into a round?

31. Jacquie says:

Parmigiano reggiano all the way! 🙂

32. Cherie says:

The video for this second part is no longer there. Could you put the video back up?

33. RobinM says:

My favorite dairy cheese–hmmmn…which one?? Blue cheese, sharp NYS cheddar, feta…

My favorite dairy free–hands down a recipe I found on the internet made using pinenuts, olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon juice. It is supposed to sub for feta, and it does a good job of it too.

34. Polly says:

Lots of comments, no link. Nothing turns up on a search either.

35. Lorinda says:

i am looking for a cheese that has pimentos in it and not much ingredeance i tasted it and could not tell it was not cheese