Should You Be Worried About the Plastic in Your Dehydrator? (Plus More Blood Pressure Questions Answered) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #802

Monday Apr 18 | BY |

Today, I’m back answering questions for you…

In this episode I talk a little more on blood pressure, explain why some people may have low blood pressure, if you have to be concerned about plastic in your dehydrator, and if Charlotte Gerson is orange or not from drinking all that carrot juice (seriously!)

There’s also a guest cameo appearance in this video, so be sure to watch the whole thing.

Your question of the day: What do you do with your dehydrator? Plastic? Wax paper?

1. Catherine Meade says:

I appreciate you guys! Thanks for all you do!!

2. Melanie T says:

you can thank Johnny 5 for his input in today’s show 🙂

3. Melanie T says:

Thanks to Johnny 5 for his exciting contribution to today’s show 🙂

4. Anna says:

I appreciate you too!

5. Jenny says:

Funny episode. You guys are fantastic. I am looking at buying a dehydrator and wasn’t sure about the plastic. I appreciate all the information you send out to us and I’m especially grateful for the Great Health Debate. I learnt so much!!!

6. oreganol says:

I rarely use a dehydrator, but I don’t think the plastic is much to worry about. You will get toxins just walking across the road, or maybe even sitting at home.

7. Barbara W. says:

LOL, that ending was hilarious! 🙂 I don’t have a dehydrator but agree with your analysis that we should just do the best we can without getting too crazy with worry.

8. Patricia Gran says:

It is hard to tell were to draw the line. Green building materials full of vinyl and recycled plastic,recycled rubber tire tree rings, organic food grown in pvc pots under plastic &/or vinyl “glass”. There comes a point where you can be totally paranoid and afraid of everything. Clean up you personal environment as much as possible and do what you can to support your body’s ability to counter toxins.
    Create a mind pattern of safety & health. It all begins in the mind.

9. Heather says:

Hi Johnny 5! I use silicone baking sheets instead of Teflex or wax paper. They work great, are non-stick and are reusable.

10. Donaji says:

LOL…Johnny 5 was hilarious! I was wondering about the dehydrator too but I use natural non-stick sheets that are similar to the teflex sheets 🙂

I would think it would take A LOT of carrot juice to turn your skin orange though…I don’t think a glass or two a day would? Maybe I’m wrong.

11. Leam says:

For Kelly –
    Possibly look into POTS – postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome – this is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system that often has the symptom of low blood pressure but elevated heart rate upon standing. There are simple tests that a knowledgable healthcare practitioner can do to determine if this may be the cause of your ill health. A site to look to see if your symptoms match is http://www.dinet.org. Hope this helps.

12. Sanjula says:

hilarious !!!!!!!! I had to laugh so much about you and Johnny 5…thanks for giving me my dose of laughing medicine today.
    I do not have a dehydrator but I use my oven on lowest heat and I use “Backpapier” that’s kind of nonstick paper.

13. Thomas says:

I don’t use a dehydrator, so I really can’t comment on that.

What might be of interest is the recent changes in the health care system in China and the disappearance of the practice and popularity of traditional Chinese (herbal) medicine.
    PBS has a good video documentary online about it at: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/jan-june11/china_04-14.html

And we thought the western system was flawed! 🙂

14. suzette says:

Thanks so much Kevin. and everyone who commented on this too. The wax paper is a good idea, although I think you’re right, I’ve cleaned up my personal environment quite a bit (even got a nifty glass straw and never drink from plastic bottles, and lots more) so I do feel that all this proactivity prolly picks up significant slack, right? 🙂 Thanks guys. Nice community here.

15. Blair says:

I just use my teflex sheets, but I tried wax paper one time and felt like it got residue on what I was dehydrating so I wasn’t the biggest fan of that!

HEY JOHNNY 5!

16. casey says:

I am deeply grateful to all the FREE content 🙂 happy to buy what products I do buy from you guys. Gotta support the businesses that really have a goal! change the health of the world… one…

17. Maia says:

Thanks for the laugh today and all the great information and questions everyday. Your work is enriching the lives of many others. Please give J5 a scratch behind the ears for me and hugs for you and Ann.

Maia

18. Susana says:

I’ve heard rosemary increases blood pressure. True?

Also e books cannot be free if they use up an ink cartridge to print! Need to note how many pages to print?

19. Elaine says:

I use unbleached parchment paper – and thank you for the feline “I want your attention & I want it right NOW” moment!

20. Emilie Rose says:

I appreciate you guys too! I just found renegade health within the past 4 days??? I’m hooked, I’ve already learned SO much!

21. RJ says:

I’ve been using parchment paper from Pampered Chef but I’m starting to research stainless steel screens. Here’s my start…I’d like to share…

Johnny 5
    😉

22. Mary Himmer says:

I purchased 1/2 size stainless cookie trays that fit onto my Excelsior dehydrator trays, and I use those. They don’t cover the entire tray, but most of it. I soak and dehydrate nuts, seeds, and grains to get rid of the phytic acid. I have also used it in the past to make homemade yogurt but now I mainly make milk kefir instead, so i don’t need to do this process for that.

23. Desley says:

Hi, just wanted to touch base with you and say how much I enjoy and appreciate the time you put into your site.
    Thanks and all the best.
    Dee

24. Berries says:

Kevin and AnnMarie, you two are great! I still wish you would have moved to Colorado. Thanks for all the shows and info.
    One thing about high BP is: excess salt which is not passed into the urine by the kidneys ends up in the blood where it attracts more water thus increasing the volume of blood which raises blood pressure.

25. Anna says:

Okay, okay, I’m leaving my first comment, I feel guilted by the email… just kidding. I LOVE what you guys do for the rest of us so we don’t have to! Obviously, it’s more than a full-time job and there’s no way I’d be able to sift through the health information that’s out there. So a big fat THANKS for doing what you do, AND making it free! I buy from you guys whenever I can.
    On another note, I just got my dehydrator about 20 minutes ago from the UPS man and I’m super-excited about being able to use wax paper. Thanks for the suggestion!

26. Karen says:

I REALLY appreciate you too, Kevin and Annmarie!! I only used my dehydrator once, so it’s on my list of things to do in the future. I really want to make my own flax crackers. On my list also is making raw sauerkraut. It’s so hard sometimes shopping in Whole Foods or Trader Joes to find truly healthy products. An awful lot of what they sell is junk.

27. Tami says:

Hey, maybe Johny5 wanted his fur to be seen – it is getting a bit yellowish and usually it is not a good sign health-wise – to his health!

28. Dear Kevin and Ann Marie,

Respectfully and humbly, after reading your story about 0.5% feedback from your readers, I feel obligated and very much compelled to write herewith and leave my comments.
    Firstly, what both of you are doing is fantastic and very wonderfully great indeed as I prescribe to all natural methods of healing which are non-allopathic and thus do nut use modern drugs.
    I am a homoeopathy, naturapathy, ayurveda and TCM doctor/practitioner over the past few years and specialise in the treatment and cure of chronic and incurable diseases.
    My website is http://www.cure-alldiseases.com and have many local(Malaysian) and worldwide patients.
    Perhaps, maybe because I am also a spiritual person, a non-alcoholic cum vegetarian (but do take garlic and onions as compared with some kind of Buddhists who abstain from these as they feel these are aphrodisiacs and that these disturb their spiritual development and in their meditation practices)the grace of the Cosmic Power [or God] is always with me to help me and my patients help each other in treating and curing my patients with positive results.)
    What both of you are doing is a great spiritual and public service to humanity/mankind in the name of God Almighty and I am sure that you will be assured a place in Sachkhand in the lives after death. Please continue to serve mankind and people, individuals, one and all, humbly.
    I wish you both good health, wealth, success, happiness and long lives.
    God Satnam Ji bless you both.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely and faithfully
    Dr Gurdial Singh Sandhu

29. Janet says:

GREAT SHOW, Kevin. I’m thinking about purchasing a dehydrator. I owned one many, many moons ago. I started going raw yesterday and so I’m excited about my new way of caring for my health. I ordered and read your ebook, High Raw (yes, I’m one of the low percentage that did read it) and learned a great deal to help me on my path to a raw healthy lifestyle. Yesterday was my first FULL day of eating and juicing raw. I soaked some qunioa over night. It didn’t do much except get “foamy” and so I need to do some research on it. I LOVE you guys. Thanks for all you do and sharing your knowledge and passion. You are certainly making a difference!! God bless.

30. Kathleen Kelly says:

The b/p devices that go on the wrist are not as accurate as the ones that go on the upper arm

31. Josette says:

Johnny 5 is a pro at stealing the show! Very funny.
    I do realize how much work you put in your videos. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate them. Thank you Kevin (and Johnny 5 of course!)

32. Angela says:

I’m one of the ‘lurkers’ who’s been reading/watching you for a couple of years and have never left a comment. So this is a great time to say a big Thank You for all you’ve taught me!
    I’ve also dedicated myself to cleaning up my home environment, getting rid of all plastics in my kitchen. All plastic storage containers have been relegated to non-food storage. I, too, have purchased glass drinking straws and keep two in my purse for use at restaurants. Really came in handy while in India and the Caribbean for all the yummy fresh coconut water. No, we can’t avoid all toxins, but I definitely try to keep my food away from plastics as much as possible. I use unbleached parchment paper for baking and dehydrating.

33. Jimmy Jangles says:

Hey Kevin, AnnMarie and Johnny 5,

Keep up the awesellent content and videos, I love them a lot.

One thing I would love to see is more Johnny 5. Maybe a Johnny 5 show featuring Johnny 5 providing content centered around all things with in the world of Kitties. Like… Is hard kitty kibble better for cats than the soft kitty kibble? Whats really in the good smelly canned kitty food? Can felines move pass their fear of water and learn to dive right in just like humans and dogs? And if so, could Johnny 5 recommend a kitty whisperer that has established a protocol that helps eliminate this ‘water phobia’ most of us felines live with?

34. Lynnette says:

Like Angela, I am also a lurker who has been watching and reading for about a year. I also have purchased some of your products and everything has been great.
    I really appreciate your philosphy and your common sense approach to everything you do. I trust your advice and know you do a lot of research. I am grateful for your free info and it is always a bright spot in my day when I get your emails.
    You have also led me to other great products and people to help me in my journey to balance and harmony in my life. Thanks so much!
    ps – Love Johnny 5 – and Kevin, you look pretty good on the floor…! Thanks again for all you do. Hugs to all!
    Lynnie

35. Beth says:

Definitely appreciate all of the hard work and the free content that you provide.

LOL! That Jonny5 is a riot.
    Like how you just went with the flow at the end.

36. That gave me a great laugh. Jonny 5 made my day. My kitties always get right in my way when I am doing something- sit on my book when I am reading, lay on my papers when I am writing, lay in the leaves when I am raking. That is just their way of telling us they want some lovin at that moment.

I still use the teflon sheets in my dehydrator. No worries about it.

37. Yvonne says:

Love and appreciate you guys! I have a dehydrator but I don’t use it very often anymore, so I’m not too concerned about the plastic. I have a couple of teflex sheets I use and also parchment paper.

I don’t use any plastic for food storage etc., only glass and my water bottle is stainless steel.

Great ending to the video, way to go Johnny5!

38. Tim says:

Hey Kevin,

I, too, am a first time poster (and probably last). Just wanted to make a quick comment of appreciation for all the valuable info you guys share with us. To illustrate the point, I purchased your Renegade Water Secrets digital product a few days ago. When I paid and began to download it, my computer informed me I already HAD downloaded it previously, from the bonus with the Great Health Debate! Oh well, 27 bucks down the drain. I was annoyed with myself at first, but after a moment, I figured you had given me MORE than that in all the free health info. So, just a note to show the appreciation a lot of us probably feel for you but aren’t the kind to respond. Obviously, it was my stupidity that caused my attempt to double download.

With all the trouble in the world, and I mean the trouble CAUSED by humans, not natural disasters, it’s hard not to be misanthropic somewhat. But I know most of the people reading this are the kumbaya type, so I will bite my lip. And just say I SO appreciate your newsletter, as well as Natural News, and Mike Adams. (which is how I found Renegade Health in the first place!) I agree wholeheartedly with a comment Mike once made in an article where he stated, “meditation is great, but it doesn’t stop bullets.” (paraphrased)

So thanks again for you TIME and EFFORT to research the topics you bring to us. I spend hours everyday just reading Natural News, Mercola, Jon Barron, HSI, etc. So I don’t for one moment take for granted all the time it takes you to prepare ONE article. I’m just lucky to have you and your ilk fighting the good fight…win or lose, is a matter of opinion, when such a small segment of the population even gives a sh*t, they’re all at McDonalds. They don’t CARE about health, animal cruelty, toxins, just sheep walking to slaughter, all the while saying it’s not their fault, there’s nothing they can do! Jeez! Most people who see me mix Boku, or Vitamineral Green, etc. just roll their eyes when I try to explain “what I’m up to.” So thank goodness for people like YOU! Okay, enough already, I’m sure you will be happy if this IS my last posting. HA

Thanks again, you have my respect and gratitude!

Sincerely,
    Tim

39. Paula says:

Still laughing from the Johnny 5 contribution.

40. DORA says:

I’m new to your site. But, wonder? Why you talk about a subject that saids click on to read or watch. but when I click to read its always some other subject. I get so frustrated and I feel manipulated.

41. Sheri says:

We also appreciate your hard work! I also try to eat good and be careful with many things, but I use the dehydrator sheets too. Love the cat episode!

42. Yvonne Noble says:

I do not comment very much, but do enjoy and know how long it can take to research something so you can get all the facts straight and then make sure the delivery of the information is easy to understand.

I have a 16 year old dog that has to be under foot or right behind me or in front of me so she can know where I am all the time. Pets are part of the daily life so you may not be able to control what will happen from one miniut to the next.

Thank you again for all the work and the products that you have to offer us.

43. Barb says:

Just want to let you know that you are extremely appreciated. I have no input as to the dehydrator but this video was well worth watching if only for the cat factor.
    Barb

44. I love your show. Thanks for the advice of substituting apple for carrot now and again in the juice. I’ve been having a fresh carrot, celery and cucumber juice with my lunch every day for the past 2 months and have turned orange. I don’t like the look but don’t want to give up the juice either (because Mike Adams concluded that the best water you can get is from vegetables), but now I’ll try an apple every few days to see if that helps. Cheers!

45. rachel says:

Consider making more of a veggie juice by adding greens, cucumber or apple to your carrot juice to lessen the color in your skin from too many carrots. Straight carrot juice seems way too sweet to me and orange skin indicates too much of it.
    I have an old dehydrator, I often thought about the plastic but I keep the temperature low. I do use teflex sheets but know little about alternatives.
    Thanks for the comment about FERMENTED FOODS, are there any of the experts from the great health debate who can comment that they are UNHEALTHY and why?. namaste’, rachel

46. holly says:

ok ok! Kev, you are delightful:) Ive been enjoying the kitty voice-over on your videos for many months now. Nice to meet the star. How meaningful its been to be a part of your of your world. I like you even more after pulling off that straight-man ending. Maybe you could talk about types of plastics and their facts to help answer the plastic question. The word plastic is probably owned by oil. when will we have a hemp plastic to support and what will we call it?

47. Why not opt for a stainless steel dehydrator?

48. Suzanne says:

Carrot juice doesn’t turn your skin orange any more than spinach juice can turn you green or beet juice turn you red. It’s simply the carrot/green juice mixtures causing cleansing (particularly the liver), and it soon passes. Years ago I had an elderly friend who was sent home to die with prostate cancer that had spread throughout much of his body. He was told he had less than two months to live, so contact relatives and put his affairs in order. At the time, his skin was sort of gray and cold, and he had trouble walking and was wracked with severe pain. He went on a diet of mostly green juices (greens, celery, and carrot), with some fruit juices, fruits, and nuts and seeds (with some pumpkin seeds daily). His hope was to have a diet that would give him enough easily digested nutrition to live as long as possible, then die in his own little trailer, not in a hospital. Within one week, his pain was mostly gone, skin warm (and very orange), and walking easier. Within another week, the pain was all gone. A few weeks later he added two to three miles a day of walking, large salads, and more fruit. By that time, he looked energetic and had a healthy skin color–not gray, and not orange. After six months, he went back to his doctor for his regular six-month checkup, and the doctor almost fainted–had thought he would have passed away by then. Tests were run, and the heart problems, arthritis, cold skin, and even all signs of the cancer were gone. He lived six years past his “death sentence” pronouced by the surgeon. So … don’t worry about yellow/orange skin from carrot juice.

Keep up the good work. We really do appreciate it.

49. Suzanne says:

Oh, and I hope you can control your future children better than you do your cat! Imagine a few little screaming, running, giggling Kevin Juniors and Annmarie Juniors going wild and hogging the camera! Oh, my goodness! What a reality/comedy show we would have!

Fantastic finish–dedication to finish through wind and snow and rain and hail and wildlife (Johnny 5)–nothing will keep Kevin from finishing a show for us!

Seriously, I like your shows and your dedication. Keep up the good work!

Life is a journey … enjoy it!