Find Out Why This Healthy Restaurant is My Personal Favorite : The Renegade Health Show Episode #797

Monday Apr 11 | BY |

In Sedona, I shared that I went to Chocolatree…

This is my favorite healthy restaurant in the U.S. – probably the world… LOL!

Anyway, in this video owner Jen Warr shares why this place is so special. Be sure to check it out and make Chocolatree a destination on your next trip.

Your question of the day: Have you been to a restaurant that uses food from it’s own garden like Chocolatree?

1. eyla says:

I have!
    Ceres environmental centre in Melbourne Australia,
    It’s beautiful there, outdoor seating at handmade mosaic tables amongst eucalypt trees, birds singing and a river that runs right by the centre, well worth a visit.

2. Dee says:

That was truly inspiring. I love her vision for creating this space. What a gift.

3. Beth says:

We used to vacation at a hotel that grew 90% of their own produce. Great food. Unfortunately, they were bought out 🙁

Haven’t even thought to ask if any local restaurants are growing any of the food they use.

4. Chris says:

I’ve been to Chocolatree many times.. . so I guess I would way, Yes, I Have. .

5. Carolyn Landry says:

No I haven’t but I live in Arizona and I will be going to Chocolatree. I was just in Sedona about 3 weeks ago, I really wished I had known about this place then.

Carolyn

6. QC says:

I haven’t. But I did have the same concept in mind. My husband and I talked about this many times because I grow vegetables on the balcony. In the summer, we often eat right from our balcony garden. It is amazing how fresh vegetables taste!

7. oreganol says:

Most restaurants I visit are in the heart of the city, so there is never any space for a garden. But there is a vegan cafe in Bangkok that has Basil growing outside. I have seen the owner picking that and taking it to the kitchen. Not much, but it’s all he has space for.

8. Sally says:

Sure have.
    A wonderful restaurant in Rockland Miane
    called, Primos. Not only do they grow the
    produce, but raise the animals too.
    Hopefully this will be coming more common
    in time, all across the country!!

9. roxanne says:

After watching your video I remembered this one by The Traveling Vegetarian Yvonne Smith. R Thomas Grille in Atlanta grows their own herbs.

I definitely want to go to Chocolatree!

10. Marcy says:

What was the reason for mixing siliva with the seeds? I couldn’t hear that well.

11. I love the concept and so happy to see it in example!! Beautiful! Mahalo~

We have an awesome Ayurvedic/Vegan restaurant here on Maui, that we supply herbs, greens, peppers, flowers etc. straight from our garden. Plus other locals supply them. They have a small bus converted to a kitchen with outside seating, set with their own small herb garden in pots and planters, and all in the back of a parking lot of all places. AMAZING chef partnered with the sweetest nutritionist!!! They are awesome~ If you ever get to Maui check out CAFE PRANA NUI.
    Love it!

Thanks for the great show! Makes us miss Sedona, bummed we never tried Chocolatree….

Lots of love ~

C&S

12. Catherine Clark says:

I can’t think of the names right now, but there is a small but growing number of restaurants in Chicago that are growing produce on their roof tops.

13. That’s the way I eat daily, because I grow most of my food, now, I live in Mexico and I know of a place in Baja California that has a garden that provides for the restaurant, it’s a five star one, gourmet.

14. Kris Lofts says:

Yes! There is the coolest restaurant called Singer Restaurant in Oregon City, Oregon. It isn’t raw or vegetarian but it has what they call vertical gardens and he has had classes on this type of gardening and has visited several in Europe that are fantastic but are only for esthetic value. Love this! Thanks! There is a new thing where they are setting up greenhouses with fish tanks that water the plants and grow great produce for the community. I don’t remember the name of it but it is a community effort where everyone helps in its operation.

15. Mary says:

Great video. I am a bit confused because from time to time I go to Sedona and I have twice eaten at that restaurant before it was called Chocolatree.
    This has been a few years, the last time I was there was at the end of October, 2008.

She said that the garden came first. So either she was with the previous restaurant or at least had the garden. Oh well, it’s amazing what they are doing.

And I always remember when I went there around 2006 and got a piece of raw coconut cream pie. It was the best hands down that I ever had! When I went back in 2008 I got a piece for dessert but it wasn’t the same. Now I’m spoiled on that one. I hope I get to go again.

Of course there’s always Alice Waters from the Bay area who started the whole thing of having her garden out back.

Cheers………

16. Dr. Casey says:

Well, I have, but it was years ago. My first favorite vegetarian restaurant was Alan Hooker’s in Ojai in the early 70’s! It was an outdoor restaurant whose tables were set in the middle of the garden that supplied the sumptuous vegetarian cuisine. I went back years later and it was no longer vegetarian. Why do they do that? I had a favorite veg restaurant in Palm Springs, that recently added meat. Do they not trust that there are enough of us out here who are comitted to healthy eating? Or are there just not enough restauranteurs with commitment? or what?

17. quicksilver says:

Agritopia – Joe’s Farm Grill in Gilbert, Arizona. Love it!

18. Leam says:

Don’t eat out at restaurants often since we eat primarily straight out of our garden. It’s not an overly large space but it is so abundant. We say we’re eating sunshine when we harvest greens from the garden and moments later consume them in salads or smoothies:)

19. Brenda says:

Yes, in fact last weekend. We visited a restaurant in Athens, GA called The Farm and all their food they serve comes from their farm. My husband always complains because they don’t have tomatoes but they only have them if they are in season and can grow them. A wonderful place to eat. My only problem is I am vegan and it is hard to find food without butter, cheese and oil.

20. Thomas says:

Yes, the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver, B.C. has a garden on the 3rd floor with vegetables, herbs, and flowers used in their “Heron’s Restaurant. They also have a few bee hives and produce their own Lavender Honey. Another restaurant in Vancouver that does this is called “C”.

21. Linda Miller says:

In Columbus, Ohio, near OSU campus area there is a Dragonfly vegan restaurant. I’ve only been there once a few years back but they had a small garden in back.

22. dana says:

Health in a Hurry, Fairfield, CT.
    Organic vegetarian cuisine to go using locally grown organic vegetables from seasonal gardens. Sue, the owner is magnificent and brilliant, here’s the website: http://www.healthinahurry.net/

Hare Krishna!

23. Tristan says:

I recently moved to Sedona and love Chocolatree! I love eating in their garden. Consuming food outside and in a garden setting is such a wonderful experience. It really helps me connect to the Earth, to food, and to the people that harvest and prepare the food. Definitely one of my favorite restaurants as well Kevin.

24. Jenson says:

Root Down in Denver CO, small garden but same concept!

25. Gail says:

Yes, I have eaten at one that I know of for sure but there are several here that do.
    “Ellendale’s” is a lovely place..the restaurant is in an old house, so the garden is just as you would find in your own yard, out back, by the gazebo. It was featured on PBS, more than once – with one episode showing the cocktails made with the herbs from the garden.
    Last year I planted a 3’x 3′ raised bed garden outside my condo in the space right alongside the front door. I planted only greens and it fed me most of the year. It’s so great to go right out the door and pick your salad (smoothie, pesto, etc.). “The All New Square Foot Gardening” book was the best discovery ever!

26. Frieda says:

Where is this Thunderpoint Seeds company located?

27. suzette says:

Dear Kevin,
    I would really like your opinion on something, because you seem so knowledgeable and up to date on this kind of stuff. I think I’m finally ready for a dehydrator, but am so concerned about heating plastic (even just to 115 degrees) that is touching my food. I know that the better dehydrator trays are BPA free, but does that really make it okay?
    If this is not the right place for this question would someone please direct me? Or direct me to an answer 🙂

28. Christine says:

My comment has more to do with the Anastasia’s way of planting seeds. To the point made about it working I can vouch for that!
    I planted some seeds Anastasia’s way last summer just a few plants. I was invited to a sales meeting by a relative and they were selling vitamin supplements. They had a computer there that you put your hand on and it read where your vitamin levels and several other things in your body were. Bottom line I was asked to participate and test my levels, I was reluctant as I wasn’t interested in what they were selling, but I was the last one and they kept proding so I agreed.
    On the Monitor screen there were 4 catagories you could fall into. The Blue was the most optimal and highest level. Green was you are o.k but could be better. Orange level was you were on your way down and the red was you were in pretty bad shape. Of course the guy selling the supplements told everyone he was in the blue catagory because he took their supplements. There were about 15 women there and a 12 year old boy. They all showed up in the red.
    When I finally agreed to to the test I came up 53000 in the Blue which the salesman said was very high in fact he came to me after the meeting and said I have to tell you, I have never had anyone come in that high!
    All the women began asking me what I was doing. The 12 yr old boy also came up in the red!
    I am an EFT Practitioner and eat all organic and had a similar test at my dentist office about 2 years prior and I wasn’t that high so, I know there is somthing to what Anastasia teaches.
    I actually just finished planting some seeds for myself today! I highly recommend everyone read the Ringing Cedars of Russia the instructions are in book 1, there are 9 books in all, and a new one on the way. I am 59 years old and take no medications and can do anything I could do when I was 20! Thank for sharing!

29. Donaji says:

I’ve never been to a restaurant that offers that but I think just what she’s doing is so wonderful and inspiring. I love her energy and her enthusiasm…what a wonderful place…almost seems magical. Thanks for sharing!

30. flora says:

SunnySide Cafe in West Asheville serves food from a big garden out back. It is not a vegetarian place but has tons of vegetarian options and most of their veggies, at least in spring and summer, come from the garden.
    Anything they don’t grow themselves, they buy from an array of local farmers.

31. Doris Dejwakh says:

I wonder if a typed transcript of the videos could be added to your email, as I’m in China and youtube is blocked here. I can never view your videos. I can’t get Facebook either for the same reason: it’s blocked as well. They want the Chinese to use the Chinese equivalents of youtube and Facebook. Could you put the same videos on youku or tudou? Those are the Chinese equivalents of youtube. The Chinese English speakers might be interested in your videos as well. It’s another billion customers you could add… Just a thought. 🙂 Doris

32. Eva-Maria Martin says:

In Austria there are many restaurants that have a garden and/or vineyard right next to them. Visit the “Wachau” region, about one hour from Vienna or even the outskirts of Vienna. There is a great hotel in Lech in Austria “Burg Vital” and their cook uses local herbs that grow at 1700 m above sea level and they also have an indoor herb garden for more temperature sensitive herbs. The dishes are created around the herbs in season. In Switzerland and Austria is has become fashionable for restaurants to collect dandelions for salads in spring (great detox) and “ail des ours” or “Bärlauch”, a type of wild garlic, which is used in spring time (also great liver cleanser). Lots of restaurants have their own herb gardens.

33. Yes! The Garden Grill that is actually in the “The Land” section of EPCOT at Disney World in Orlando. They grow all of their produce (and for other EPCOT restaurants)out back in several different types of hydroponic and aquaponic systems. We have also taken the “Behind the Seeds” tour of the hydroponics. The food is fresh and delicious and they also use several other healthy ingredients (like sea salt, etc.) in the food they prepare. EPCOT was Walt Disney’s brainchild although he didn’t get to see it in his lifetime; it stands for “Environmental Prototype City of Tomorrow”.
    I enjoyed your info. on eating healthy while traveling. I am planning to do a segment on our site about how to eat healthy at Disney World – there are actually many healthy food choices there! Thanks AM & K for the great site and for your time and effort that goes into it! Grace and Peace to you!

34. Cathy says:

It has been fun to see you highlight the Gem we too “discovered” on our 1st trip to Sedona last month – Chocolatree. We enjoyed everything we sampled including the take aways: esp the Kale chips-Yes were Oh So Great! Also their chia instant porridge is delish (tho I cut it w/some plain chia seeds as their mix is very flavorFULL – so thanks for finding & illustrating one of the better food finds on our personal journey out west! How lucky for you to have that resource close-by!

35. Bill says:

We had a restaurant called Mind, Body and Spirits in Rochester, MI that had an attached greenhouse. They served many foods that they grew on-site. Unfortunetly they are temporarily closed but may reopen this summer according to a sign in the window. Lets hope.

36. Sophie says:

Is there any scientific support for the “Anastasia” method of planting seeds that she refers to? IE, holding the seed in your mouth for a while so that it gathers information from your saliva and will grow according to that information, producing more of the vitamins you are deficient in, etc.