A Refreshing Summer Coconut Kefir Recipe : Renegade Health Classics

Thursday Apr 7 | BY |

Still without a computer to edit, so I’m going to share a great recipe for coconut kefir with you…

I love this drink, and it’s really nice when you make it with fresh coconuts.

Some people ask me if they can use the pasteurized coconut water from the store to make coconut water. The answer to this is yes. You can definitely use it. It’s not as fresh, but it still contains the great array of nutrients like potassium, magnesium and sodium. Some of the enzymes will be destroyed because of the heating process, but the bacteria will revive it to some degree.

Your question of the day: Have you ever tried coconut kefir?

1. vdubaya says:

I have never tried coconut kefir, but I love young coconut water. Watchi the video made it look really easy. I am inspired to try it. I will be heading over to Mother’s Market, WF, or Henri’s for a starter. I will let you know how I like it. Don’t you just love neophytes. Can’t wait for the yorgurt instructions. Thank you.

2. Sue says:

I didn’t know there was such a thing as a kefir starter! I will have to try this recipe as soon as I find some kefir starter! I do make my own sauerkraut, so I am familiar with fermented foods!

3. daniel says:

How and where can I get the probiotic to make kefir?

4. Pamela Pollock says:

i tried to buy donna gates from her site months ago….several times in fact and they were out of the starter. boo hoo! will try with probiotics i already have! yippppeeee! thanks so much for your fun vids.

5. Pamela Pollock says:

i meant to say donna gate’s starter (i wasn’t trying to buy donna gates herself!!!)

6. Laurie says:

I have been making coconut water kefir for about 10 years and I still make it to this day. I love it. Did not know about pouring it right to the top of the jar to keep out air. Also I have never warmed mine. I am too lazy. It may just take a little longer to ferment. Looking forward to the coconut kefir pudding. I have done it. Not sure I like it. Maybe you have a slant on it that will help me to try it again. We always just throw the meat in our smoothies.

7. Susan says:

I tried Donna Gates bottled coconut kefir – yum. Too expensive for everyday use. I make my own kefir now using pineapple rinds and her starter, fresh coconuts are difficult to get where I live. I use the kefir in my green drink every morning, helps to cut down on the sweet of the fruit.

8. Ree says:

what if you have water kefir grains, would you use that instead of the packet?

9. Jean says:

I’ve used the kefir brain to make coconut kefir. I usually use it to make cow or goat milk kefir and then one day tried a small piece of it with the coconut water and it was delicious. The kefir gets carbonated. Not sure what it’s supposed to taste like since I haven’t tried anyone else’s coconut kefir. Do you all know what I mean by the ‘brain’? It’s what folks share, like a starter, and it looks like cauliflower.

10. casey says:

i have some water kefir grains i use to make coconut kefir

11. Terry says:

Will you please clear up this situation for me ! I have been told that those little white young coconuts have been soaked in formaldehyde. When I take off the skin of a baby coconut it does not take long for that white part to turn brown, so I would delight to know the truth, because we enjoy coconuts. Also, what about coconut factor’s coconut water, is it in an aluminum can, and if so, how safe is that??

12. Tony Mujica says:

Thanks for the recipe. I do appreciate your show. Are you familiar with the “Pump-n-Seal”? Its a pump operated vacuum sealing system for mason jars & freezer bags. I use it to extend the life of my raw food recipes. Its excellent for juicing because it cuts oxidation down. I juice my veggies and fruit & freeze them, using them as needed. This could suck out the air to help with the process in this recipe. Also this greatly speeds up marination time. Hope this helps.

13. Karen Graham says:

If possible could you include written recipes. I actually prefer that to the videos. Thank you.

Karen

14. sheri says:

Yes, we have 2 times so far made coconut kefir with the coconut water from young coconuts. It turned out really good, except I thought it was good in the fridge for a few weeks. opps! We are still alive though.:) Thanks so much for these videos and recipes. We always learn more.Can’t wait to try the yogurt.

15. Christine says:

The “bad bacteria” would be what I would worry about making my own. I’m actually looking at both goat milk and coconut milk kefir at the health store lately -just have not made up my mind which one to try.

16. zovipoey says:

how do you make coconut kefir using probiotics

17. BETTY says:

Could a COOLER be used insted of lowering the A.C to 72 F during the 36 hs process?

The Pump&Seal use to avoid bacterial growth sounds like a good idea to me!!

Thanks for all your useful tips & video demos!!
    Written recepies are also highly appreciated!DEHYDRATED ones included!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

WISH U BOTH THE SUPER BEST…

18. I’m guessing you could also use water kefir grains. I have milk kefir grains but they’ve been sitting in a jar in milk in the fridge for months since we haven’t been doing milk. I was thinking of trying water kefir with them and wondering if they would work for coconut water.

19. Evan Pintzuk says:

I make it using rejuvelac…it is a liquid obtained by first sprouting grains, then soaking them in water for 2-3 days! This water can be used to make nut cheeses, kefirs, yogurts, sourdough breads, sourkraut, or can be consumed as is!
    If you need more detail on the rejuvelac recipe, google it, or email me!
    Evan

20. […] fermented foods is a great way to help rebuild the gut. My favorites are coconut kefir, sauerkraut, and […]

21. Fakir Kefir says:

Hmm. I don’t know about making kefir with starter “packets.” I suppose that might work but it seems silly and wasteful. Better to use tibicos (water kefir grains). These you can purchase just once to make a lifetime of kefir. Like kombucha, kefir grains are a SCOBY: as long as you give them the sugars and minerals they need, they will last you forever. No “packets” required!