Sushi Recipe for Eggplant Asparagus Rolls : The Renegade Health Show Episode #792

Wednesday Mar 30 | BY |

One unique thing about being in the San Francisco area is the prevalence of extremely good Japanese restaurants.

One place we like is in the Mission and they make their own tofu and soy products from organic soy (meaning non-GMO!) They also have some fantastic vegan sushi options if you want plant-based – which we choose when we go (I make it sound like we’ve been there 100 times… we’ve only been twice in the 3 years we’ve been coming to the area!)

Today, Annmarie wanted to experiment and make one of the rolls that they make at Minako, but do it as a raw food recipe.

Your question of the day: Do you like wasabi or pickled ginger best?

Here’s the raw food recipe for Eggplant Asparagus Sushi Rolls (You can do this as cooked vegan as well):

Eggplant Asparagus Sushi Rolls

For the Rice:

1 Small Jicama

Filling:

6 stalks asparagus -steamed
4 big leaves of basil
1 tbsp green onions
Jicama rice

For the top:

4 strips eggplant – roasted or frozen then thawed
Thinly sliced Avocado
Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds

This will make about 3-4 rolls

To roll with a mat:

1. Place a nori sheet on sushi mat.
2. Spread the rice on 3/4 of the roll.
3. Lay some veggies in the middle of the rice spread.
4. Roll using the mat. (See video for technique)

Get your fingertips wet in water and run it along the nori roll where you want the end to stick. Next, slice the roll with a sharp, wet knife.

To Roll without a mat:

1. Cut one sheet of nori in half.
2. Place half sheet in your hand, shiny side down.
3. Spread the rice on the nori – only on the left side.
4. Lay the veggie fillings on top of the rice.
5. Roll the nori by starting with the bottom left corner – up towards the right top corner to form a cone shape.

Kev and Ann

1. Raya says:

Wasabi and ginger are absolutely equal and both are absolutely necessary. ?

2. Sarah says:

Awwwww. Do I HAVE to choose??

3. Nancy says:

I don’t like either! But I wanted to comment on the fact that the video links aren’t always to the right video. When I clicked on the video for this show on the home page, I got the making exercise part of your life. When I clicked on the title of the show, I got the correct video. This has happened several times with other videos. Just wanted to let you know.

4. eyla says:

they’re both amazing!

5. Dee says:

What kind of pictures are you looking for? I have some stuff just lying around that could use a new home. Let me know.

6. Beth says:

I’ve always wondered how to make the sushi rolls inside out. Thanks so much for showing us how!

Prefer pickled ginger, but wasabi adds a nice kick – and cleans out the nasal passages 🙂

7. Roberta McMillian says:

My first choice is pickled ginger. Thanks for showing the inside out roll, I’ll try that. You could always tack up your rawfoodieart shirt from Kansas City.

8. sheryl miller says:

Great Idea looks yum!

Can you tell what Jicama is?
    Is it a vegetable??looks like a big onion/turnip as it loks white!

I live in Australia so what would be a good substitute for Jicama?

thanks
    sheryl
    canberra
    australia

9. tera says:

definitely love ginger more. much tastier! great recipe, never thought about jicama that way.

10. Cindy says:

Looks delicious AnnMarie! If I am going to eat sushi I have to have both… pickled ginger and wasabi. Love that you showed the inside out way to roll. I always do it the other way, so now I will be stepping out of my box! lol

11. Patricia Autry says:

Thanks Annemarie for another great recipe.
    Adding the ingredients to my grocery list and can’t wait to try both the asparagus and eggplant versions.
    I Love both pickled ginger and wasabi, but my first choice is the pickled ginger. Green Blessings.

12. Either is fine. You could also put the pickled ginger IN the sushi roll and use the wasabi for dipping

13. Tyra McMahon says:

Hate wasabi but love ginger!!

14. Satori says:

Love pickled ginger! I don’t like wasabi too much…

I lived in Japan for a long time, and it was uncomfortable ordering sushi without wasabi though cuz they think no-wasabi sushi is only for kids!

15. casey says:

oooo, i’m all for ginger

16. Joel Brown says:

wow, i never realized that i can’t actually pick which one i like better. but i guess i get excited for wasabi more because i only have it with sushi for the most part and ginger pops up in a lot of things i consume.

want some art on that wall???? i have some weird stuff for sale here: vortex.etsy.com

17. Betsy says:

Oh – I like wasabi- but I LOVE pickled ginger!

So this recipe looks terrific and will surely try it – never thought of shredded jicima instead of rice – thanks!
    Please help me out…. Last week I watched your show and a lady who wrote a cookbook made a great looking recipe for raw tortillas and I cannot seem to find the episode. Where did it go? I wish I could remember the woman’s name and also the name of her cookbook
    Thanks for maybe repeating this for us!

18. stacie says:

If I have to make a choice, gotta have ginger! =) Funny, I just made nori wraps the last 2 nights for dinner (pure jeevan’s pacific diner wraps, but used soaked sunflower seeds instead of macadamia nuts).

19. Marty Schumacher says:

I love both, Kevin!!!
    Those look so good. I actually do not like to eat nori, even though I know it is great for me!! I do not like anything too seaweedy! I use kelp and dulse just fine but the nori’s crusty, chewy stiff and seaweedy taste turns me off.
    Are there other options?????

20. Garrett says:

A half teaspoon of wasabi in each bite with a HEAP of ginger on top! But, that is at the sushi bar. I have not figured out how to make pickled ginger at home. ;(

How to make pickled ginger… now THERE’S a topic for an upcoming video!!!

I notice that the pickled ginger at sushi bars is always pink in color. What’s up with that? Tell me it’s not sulfates, MSG, and BPA?? 😉

Hugs!!

21. DONAJI says:

I loooooooooove ginger! But I would love to learn how to pickle my own…as I’ve noticed even the organic one as some yucky stuff in it. Some processed (pink one) has aspartame.

EASY ECO FRIENDLY WALL ART: Here’s a nice recycling project I got from this site…I did it over our bed and it looks beautiful! Just used glue…Made with toilet paper rolls, easy and really pretty 🙂

22. Neeltje says:

I’ve never made sushi, but will certainly try this recipe. I don’t know if I will find a jicama, but the aspargus season is almost starting in the village where I live so that won’t be a problem.

Can’t choose between wasabi and ginger.

Yesterday we had the ‘beet avocado salad’, ‘raw popcorn’ and ‘cauliflower mashed potatoes’ for diner. All the recipes came from RH show and it tasted great. (maybe a strange combination, but it was really nice all together, my 2,5 year old son also enjoyed it) I really love watching Annmarie making all these yummy things.

Thanks for all your recipes!

23. Marie1225 says:

I am not a wasabi girl. I do love ginger though! I’m excited to try making those sushi rolls. I’ll be ehading to Whole Foods today to pick up those ingrediants. Yum! Thanks Ann, keep those recipes coming. If I may make a suggestion instead of nama shoyu a completely soy free option is coconut aminos. I love the stuff!

24. sheri says:

To me,I love them both so much, could never leave one out. They are soooo good together!

25. Eridawni says:

I love them both and would never elect one over the other. Just a fabulous combination. Also, LOVE, hot spicy mustard greens.

I have been juicing them and yum, yum, yum!!!

Nice demo. I have never work with a sushi mat.

26. RickiRaspberry says:

Thanks for this great sushi demo! It looks amazing! I’m on a raw juice fast, so I can’t wait to be able to enjoy this. I miss my seaweeds!

I love wasabi, but it doesn’t always love me back. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE PICKLED GINGER! I can put it on anything or eat it by itself! My fave!

Ricki

27. Chris G. says:

Definitely a wasabi guy. Too much ginger tastes like perfume to me…

28. Gail Jensen says:

Ditto with # 16, Joel.

29. Mary says:

Couldn’t access your video and notice the written recipe doesn’t give a clue as to what to do with the jicama. A viewer said it’s shredded.
    FYI: It’s not necessary to steam anything. This recipe can be made raw. For the asparagus, simply marinate with EVOO, lemon juice and Celtic sea salt and then julienne the spears finely. Same with the eggplant. Cover slices with Celtic sea salt in a colander and then cover that with something heavy. Let drain. The eggplant will seem “cooked,” if that’s what you like.
    To take any unpleasantness out of the nori (that’s an oxymoronic sentence for ya!), you can put it in a dehydrator for a while or in a very low oven for a half hour. Might help your taste buds. Otherwise, treat as normal.
    Sprinkle finished sushi with liquid aminos or nama shoyu, a tiny bit of wasabi that you can make yourself from powder, a very thin slice of ginger, and Kawabanga!!!!!! umami!!!!

30. Mary says:

whoops! I forgot to say to rinse the eggplant after it’s had its salt treatment. sorry.

31. Dodgerbuddy says:

Pickled ginger? ? ? Where does one get this? What is the liquid juice to dip the sushi into?
    Please help a girl out as I’ve not had much sushi in my life.

THANKS a bunch!!