How We Made Exercise Part of Our Day (You Can Too!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #790

Monday Mar 28 | BY |

Since our move, we’ve been working on becoming less fuel dependent…

We’ve also settled down into a groove in our exercise and fitness routine – including some ways to make exercise a part of our day.

Today, I’m going to show you some of the things that we’ve done as well as give you some options that you can do as well.

Your question of the day: What tips do you have to make exercise a regular part of your day?

1. Leam says:

Have to go downstairs to do laundry so while the load is in final spin I do a stair-step route during those final minute before changing loads. Hanging the laundry outside gives another opportunity. Squat to pickup an article of clothing, stretch up on tip toe to clothesline…really great leg workout doing a normal everyday chore. Just one idea.

2. Nadia says:

Great topic! That is the idea. Just by your daily activities you move the body in a variety of ways and get all the exercise you need. If you look back in time, humans got all the exercise they needed just by going about their daily routine of washing, preparing, cleaning, hunting, gathering, walking, collecting water, etc. Nowadays we have so many ‘conveniences’ and ‘time-saving’ devices that we have become very sedentary.

3. Jane Gudge says:

get up early enough to make it the first thing you do, actually a glass of water first, and then go running, walking, swimming, cycling, pumping, whatever… immediately! that way you cannot be distracted or delayed in what probably, next to smiling, is the most important thing you can do every day
    well imo..

4. estheraida says:

I don’t drive, but if I did I’d probably use City Share cars just for when I need to get out of town.
    I bike; walk; bus; BART, everywhere!

Hope to see you two biking on the street one day!

cheers,
    estheraida

5. estheraida says:

Also do you guys know about the Bike Station in Downtown Berkeley? You can park your bike for free all day there and do stuff in the area if needed. I teach at the college so I park it there when I’m at work! Worry free bike parking!!

cheers,
    estheraida

6. Rachel Starr says:

I yoga it up! Sometimes I jump on chairs, shhh, don’t tell! HA! Someday I will be awesome enough to Parkour to work… when I am that awesome, Yoga will be my job. OK, maybe yoga will be my job before I can kong to work… but I think you get the idea.
    peace

7. Jana says:

I like this topic. I really don’t like exercise *unless* it’s fun all by itself or if it doubles as something functional in my daily life. …can y’all think of a way to mop the kitchen floor that could double as some kind of exercise? I have a long hair cat and I’d love to get more exercise that gives me a double benefit of cleaner floors.

8. Sue says:

I don’t “work exercise into my schedule”, I plan to exercise! If I choose to not get out in the rain, I have an exercise bike at home that I get on. When I bought it, walking it home in a grocery cart was an exciting adventure! We also have a rebounder that we use at home, and we usually are reading books while we do that!

9. Anne says:

At my last job where I was for two years there were showers and bike facilities so I cycled to work year round, 9km or so each way. There was also a gym at work so we could go in early and exercise before work or at lunch time which was great to save time in your day.

When I’m home, living downtown Vancouver I walk everywhere. I don’t have a car so it’s not even an option. In fact I’ll only take the public transport when I absolutely have to and I bought 10 prepaid single trip tickets in June last year and i still have three. I’ll usually just use my bike if I can’t walk somewhere.

You can really clock up some exercise in your daily routine easily. Of course I don’t count it as exercise and do my fair share of swimming, running and lifting weights but for someone uninterested in exercise per say, you could really keep healthy and save some dollars by using your legs and not your car.

10. Jayvanthy says:

I refused to have a car. So I walk for errands nearby, or use the public transport. This means you compulsarily have to walk some time during the day. The balance is made up by Yoga or regular walking. For better Calcium absorption I have been told to do some weights. Could you recomend something easy that I can do at home?

11. Rosemary says:

In regards to choosing a place to live, you have hit the nail on the head on so many issues. Taking action is the hardest part when there is so much to decide. I love your stream of consciousness in expressing your thoughts, Kevin. Thank you. Re: exercise…how does worrying exercise the body? At least in reading your blog I don’t feel so alone in my thoughts.

12. stacie says:

When you have toddlers at home, you have to get your exercise any way you can. Play “chase,” overhead presses with your child (they love that), etc. At work, take a non-smoke break a few times during the day: get up from your desk, get outside and walk around the building a couple times–get the blood flowing and a little vitamin D, to boot. Also, I’ll do a wall sit inside my cubicle for a couple minutes while getting work done (and/or while brushing my teeth, etc. btw, teeth brushing is a great time to get a couple minutes worth of something done–calf raises, squats, standing leg raises in all directions, some sort of stretch…).

13. I try to walk a lot with my dog evertday and then I always do something else, like running or taking a gymclass or yogaclass =)

14. oreganol says:

I walk a lot instead of cycling. I don’t mind walking a mile somewhere to buy something and then walking a mile back again. I also use the stairs instead of lifts and escalators. And I carry my shopping home – I don’t take a taxi. I also clean my partment and put some real effort into doing this. I read about a study that showed that women who do more housework have less breast cancer than women who don’t do any housework. It’s assumed the physical activity of cleaning helps to prevent breast cancer. So when you’re cleaning, shopping, etc, just think that you are killing two birds with one stone.

15. Pat says:

I keep my wobble board in front of my bathroom sink, then I have to balance on it while I’m washing and brushing!!, and working on my core muscles.

16. Saint says:

Kevin, I am trying to find out if using a GPS poses any health risks. Seems to me it would, but I can’t find anything that says that. Do you know? Thanks for all you do.
    Saint

17. Full Fast says:

Interesting post. Thanks for listing the types of exercises that you follow including weight training and cardio activity.