An Update on Radiation Levels in California (Plus, A Silly Purchase that I Made) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #788

Thursday Mar 24 | BY |

I made a mistake…

I got caught up in the hype of radiation levels rising in California that I purchased a Geiger counter that will not be effective at all. (Don’t worry, I bought another a few hours later that will.)

But, anyway, today you get to see my silly mistake as well as find out some resources where you can see if radiation levels are rising (at least on the West Coast.)

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What should I do with this relic of the Cold War?

1. Christie says:

Ebay it or donate it to you local high school physics department.

2. Christi says:

Maybe you can resell it?

Do you know anything about quantum biofeedback? Do you think it is an effective method in healing?

3. Bonnie says:

Does it work? Maybe its an “oldie but goodie!” If not, it might make a good bookend. 🙂

4. Luana says:

Love your shows!
    Hang it on the wall and use it like a hanger 🙂

5. lsherman says:

it works for me

6. lsherman says:

I have the 720

7. Dee says:

Donate to the Smithsonian.

8. Kevin, sometimes antiques work better than new equipment, how are you so sure it doesn’t work?

9. Heather says:

My favorite seaweed is from the East coast — Maine, where there is no industry and the seaweed farmer makes his own row boats from wood, which he stains w/veggie oil so that he doesn’t get toxic paint or gas in the seaweed as he harvests.

He invites everyone to come visit his farm, stay over, have a meal and check it out: http://theseaweedman.com

Anyway, when I interviewed him and visited his farm last year, he told me that nori sheets are all manufactured in China (even if it says it’s from somewhere else). He said the technology to make sheets exists only in China and that the process uses arsenic. This is why some people’s hair falls out when they east a lot of it.

When I learned that, I stopped eating the sheets and ordered nori in its native form instead.

Right now, he’s recommending digitata kelp, since it has the highest amount of iodine…he suggests a 3 inch strip per day for everyone.

Not sure what you should do with your Geiger counter…it’s a cool looking relic and might just go on eBay!

10. shana says:

Here’s another great resource for checking radiation in the air/water here on the west coast:

11. It may be an antique, but there are many of them still in use by Emergency Management and public safety agencies, (police/fire/EMS/HazMat)around the world. I had one in the trunk of my car until a year and a half ago. It would need to be re-calibrated and the only non-government recalibration center is KI4U, Inc. 212 Oil Patch Lane Gonzales, Texas, 78629 (830) 672-8734. You can email them at webmaster@ki4u.com The unit you showed looked like the CD V-715 survey meter and according to the KI4U website that would run you $78.00 for re-calibrating and return shipping. Mine was re-calibrated every year, and FEMA set the maximum time between calibrations at 4 years, but I know a number of people who have one for personal/home use who have theirs calibrated every 5 to 10 years. Here is their website and calibration information page: http://www.radmeters4u.com & http://www.radmeters4u.com/calibrate.htm

12. Gen says:

Keep it as a doorstop/paperweight/mantel decor! Or donate it to a high school/college/university.

13. christina says:

hang your keys on it 🙂

14. Anne says:

Hi Kevin,

Without a doubt you can sell it on Ebay. I just went to look and saw the same model you showed on there in some places for more than double what you paid.

you’ve got nothing to lose.
    Anne

15. JASON says:

Because of its bright yellow color, maybe you could post it on the wall/put a little ghost buster thingy on it.

16. kay says:

I like your idea of going around the neighborhood with it. In fact wear a hazmat suit and a respirator, make sure Ann Marie is recording the whole thing!

17. karin says:

Kay-that’s hilarious! I love it! You would probably freak out the worrisome types though and maybe give a grandma a heart attack. It’s really funny though.

18. jackie says:

I agree with Kay. Then display it somewhere in your apartment and use it again at Halloween with ghost buster costume.

19. Beth says:

I LOVE that you refer to Ghostbusters, characters and all. So great.
    I think you should keep the yellow relic of the cold war. Good story, and you can use it on Halloween as part of a Ghostbusters costume 🙂