Where We Get Our Spring Water and a Question About Carrageenan : The Renegade Health Show Episode #786

Tuesday Mar 22 | BY |

I haven’t done a Q & A show for a while, so today I’m back at it…

In today’s episode, I talk about where we get our spring water now that we’re in the Bay Area, I answer some questions about organic latex mattresses and I talk about the difference between Irish moss and carrageenan.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: Do you live in a place where you can walk to places?

Here’s a resource to find a spring in your area: www.FindaSpring.com

Here’s where you can get some Irish moss (buy Irish moss) and be assured you will not overdose on carrageenan! πŸ˜‰

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didn’t change the way he was living β€” he might go down that same path. Since then, he’s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, he’s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols β€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more β€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com β€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. Chris says:

I live in the Bronx, NYC, so a lot of things are in walking distance….the park, convenience stores, a small supermarket, restaurants and bars, laundromat, library, post office, etc.
    I love the convenience of everything in NYC but I think I would feel better living in a quieter, less populated place with more trees, plants, and fresh air. I think I’d love living in Berkeley πŸ™‚

2. a says:

Boulder, nuff said, lots of parks, trails, etc, and mountains are close. When the weather got warmer last week, I was sitting next to a stream under a tree and in the sunshine in the mountains and it was very awesome.

3. FeralKevin says:

Welcome to the neighborhood! I’m drinking Rattlesnake Spring water right now. You can get glass bottles at Oak Wine Barrel in Berkeley.

4. Leam says:

I also used to live in NYC – I so miss the subway, metro trains, and walking everywhere. I do walk every day now but only to a local park. All other errands need to be with a car. I do prefer to live rural with natural all around, but I loved the convenience of an urban setting.

5. Dee says:

Yes and no, there are a couple of shops nearby and there is quite a lot within a short driving distance. Dallas is not a pedestrian town. I used to live in Boston and would take the subway into town and then just walk everywhere. I also liked traveling to London as it was so easy to get around, either walking or taking the tube. I like to plan my vacations so that I don’t have to rent a car, I can walk or take public transportation or book a tour.

6. Gabe Hunninghake says:

How often do you have to drive the hour to stock up on water? That seems like it would be a big time hassle.

7. elliott haines iii says:

kevin, no filter can do everything [ including you and annmarie….as filters] and only ONE has http://www.nsf.org certification to be the ‘most effective’ to stnd# 53 ‘health concerns’….so here’s the information about http://www.multipure.com 40yrs in business and tested by international organization http://www.nsf.org... allows natural minerals to stay in the water in the natural state [ unlike R/O water that strips minerals from the fluid and then some companies
    ‘add’ liquid minerals back… which is somewhat similar to your explanation of the irish moss and the carageenen[spel?].. .back to h20 on the go and at point of use… Having been a distributor w/ multipure for 22 yrs there is a realization that people need to hear / read the ‘truth’ …either one has the most effective filter or one IS THE filter … consider adding multipure to your store as a product w/ a lifetime warranty 1/4 yr unconditional money back guarantee … 40 yrs in business and the originator of the carbon block and the technology that makes it the best value for the consumer [and saves the gas time and inconvenience by providing a portable stainless steel unit that last a ‘lifetime’… 800 622 9206 ask for product /distributor information….mention my name or dist# 105470… and consider linking your ‘store’ to the company’s site and let them do the paper work and the credit /over ride / profit goes to the health renegade knowing that people will not be ripped off by the ‘taste and odor’ items that advertise heavily and do not make the water ‘healthier’ only improving taste and odor which most poisons chemicals and carcinogens do NOT have at the beginning…!!! tis the DBP’s that are left by 99% of all filters on the market… 301 293 2869 is my phone and I have a ‘water brother’ in the east bay area to whom you may speak to augment kevin’s experiential quotient in the aqua area… for people pets and planet…[ last ‘thing’ biggest cause of death of pets /cats and dogs/ is cancer… and journal of National cancer institute 6/18/97 page 846 to 856 has an article basic title ‘ the carcinogenicity of chlorinated drinking water’ study done in finland univer of helsinki saying that stomache bladder colon kidney liver thyroid pituitary lung and leukemia were ‘contributed ..or caused by’ DBP’s chlorine by products….watersage/ Elliott

8. Barbara W. says:

Yes, not like a big city but a park, movie theater and mall.

I am still looking for a spring in Florida that is reasonably safe for drinking. None of the ones on Findaspring.com really seem to be drinkable. Any tips appreciated.

9. Anne says:

I’ve lived downtown in Vancouver Bc since September 2007. From here I cycled to work (about 9-10 km each way) on the cycle routes here (there are many and you can get pretty much everywhere without having to negotiate the traffic of non cycle routes. But moslty once I got home I could walk everywhere. I walk to the community centre and pools where I exercise, I walk to do my grocery shopping in several different locations, I walk to my practitioners both downtown and over the bridge, I walk to the libraries etc. I also run to beautiful Stanley park and run on the trails there although most people walk around it’s beautiful but paved seawall.

there are tons of cafes and eateries around as well all in easy walking distance. In fact you can get anywhere downtown and even in Kits and Mount pleasant without getting the bicycle out. This is part of the attraction of Vancouver.

10. Veronika says:

Thanks for letting us know which spring! Good to know Rattlesnake is a good choice. We live in Oakland and are close to a big rose garden, Whole Foods, and Piedmont Ave shopping, so it’s pretty convenient. We do still spend a lot of time in Berkeley though.

11. Michaelb says:

No matter where you are, having a pet that needs a walk gets you into the game.

12. Stephen says:

Kevin,I have seen in previous pics of you appartment that you do not seem to be covering your spring water against light. We have our own spring on our farm here in Auckland New Zealand and supply raw spring water to many customers.
    As it is raw, and not zapped with UV etc to kill the water’s life to allow it to be sold in clear containers and have a long shelf life,we sell it in sunproof containers which does not allow sunlight to reach the water.
    If it does this allows the living matter in the water to grow,chew up the oxygen and the water will go sour,(as well as green as the plant matter grows).
    So ensure your great raw spring water is protected from light.-we have stored some this way for 6 months and although a little flat, it is very drinkable.
    We usually tweak up our spring water in our glass drinking container with a powerfull nano magnet for a couple of hours to greatly inprove its abilitu to hydrate our cells quickly, and allow us to drink more water.
    TYhe ultimate is to add more oxygen and hydrogen by bubbling Wrights gass thru the water to create elevated water.
    Once you start on good spring water you will really notice the difference if you try city water again.
    Cheers.

13. Sue says:

I live where there are two tracks, if I just want to walk, both within 1/2 of where I live. I live near a bunch of stores that I can easily get to. A park is about 1 1/2 miles from here. The library is about about 1 1/2 miles from where I live; I have to make sure that I don’t check out too many books, because it makes for an uncomfortable backpack! I don’t like the fact that walking has to be done on streets where cars go 50 mph; sidewalks are not good or are non-existent!

14. Diana says:

Yes, I walk to grocery store, cafe, bank, shops in Berkeley. I work at the university but don’t walk there as I’m usually rushing to get there and then after, rushing to pick up my daughter from school.

I love Rattlesnack Springs. I’ve done the trip a couple of times, but it’s kind of long for a daytrip. I bought some great bottles at the wine and beer making shop on San Pablo Ave. There ought to be a local water fetching co-op in Berkeley.

15. Stephen says:

Yes, our van can carry up to a tonne of water,1,000litres which is sufficient for nearly sixty 7 gallon flagins.-would be a much better way to get spring water as a co op.

16. Lisa says:

This is how we do spring water. I live close to the mountains…so we go to a spring about an hour away. We have glass bottles and 2 plastic filling bottles. Make sure when you buy your glass carboys there are made in Italy only…others have been known to have unstable bottoms…which can bust off when filled (told by our local organic wine supplier). We have noticed PVC pipe at the spring that I guess people are using…PVC is not food safe (we use only food safe hoses & funnels). We fill out plastic bottles and then carry to the glass carboys (waiting at the car) and fill up. The plastic is lighter AND no risk of breaking it at the spring. We have found the glass carboys fit PERFECTLY into those square milk cartons. Perfect for transporting (no clunking of glass & possible breakage) and they have handles…so perfect for carrying. When you purchase your glass carboys…they come in a box. Keep the boxes..which we use to flip over the carboys thus protecting them from the light. Once home we have a ceramic counter-top dispenser that we fill up (we don’t turn the bottle over on it as too much water is exposed to the light). We only use the ceramic portion…this way our water is in a light-free, easy-to-use dispenser. It took us a bit…but we have a really easy system. We go for water about every 3 weeks or so (about 5 large glass carboys).

17. Nick says:

I live in staten island ny i can walk to and take a train to just about anywhere.
    I use my car for springwater harvesting too I use gallon wine or apple juice glass jugs and put them in the boxes with dividers u can get @liquor store to transport and store my drinking water.

18. Suzanne says:

Had to move away from Port Townsend, WA for a year. Can’t wait to get back to this beautiful little town w/authentic Victorian bldgs. downtown which is situated on the water (Salish Sound). From my house I could walk to co-op, library, doctor, dentist, downtown, 2 movie theatres, health food store, community center, farmers market, etc. No big box stores allowed in this environmentally aware town.

Kevin, I carried a 5gal. glass water jug in our motorhome and later to our house from the co-op and other sources when on the road. (I weigh about 120lbs.). The way we did it safely was to transport with it just inside a cloth bag (like ones you get for a dollar at local stores). Very sturdy and we could carry by handles from cart to car/RV. In the car we placed the bag inside a collapsible plastic crate (never tipped and handy for other uses). In RV, we set it on the floor of our closet next to the kitchen area. When we needed water we just tipped it over and filled a glass 4cup measurer. Didn’t need a pump. Never had a problem w/glass breaking. Bag does give some protection from that happening and would catch most of glass if it did break.

19. Deb J C says:

WATER? – Seriously folks – have a look at these groundbreaking and important affiliated websites:

20. QC says:

I live in Toronto. Except in the winter, I can literally walk to everywhere πŸ™‚

21. Rebecca Cody says:

Here in Olympia, WA, I’m two miles from downtown, so I can walk there when I don’t have errands that take me further. One big plus is a spring in a downtown parking lot, of all places! The water flows from a pipe and lots of us have gone there for years to fill our jugs. I have about 12 glass jugs, some from cheap wine, others from organic apple juice, and boxes from a paint store with cardboard dividers to keep the jugs from hitting each other and breaking. The spring is tested monthly for safety and has always been found clean and delicious.

I can also walk two minutes to a Safeway with a Post Office inside. The only trouble is, their organic veggies aren’t local or very high quality compared with those at the co-op which is too far to walk to. We have an awesome farmers’ market which will be opening in a week or so, and staying open until next Christmas. I can walk there, but, loaded with veggies, I take the free Dash bus back to the Capitol, about 1.5 miles from home, where my friend’s husband picks us up.

22. susan says:

lived in the FLORIDA KEYS for years…water always an issue there…Lived in ALASKA hiking and spring water always available (until it freezes) now I am on the west gulf coast of Florida a block from a bird sanctuary on the Myakka River where I bike every day and 10 miles from seashell loaded beaches where I walk for miles barefoot in the emerald green ocean…i live barefoot…Water…HUGE PROBLEM here in fla and it’s very irritating that COCA COLA leases the springs in FLA for a few dollars and takes 33,000 gallons a day from our aquifers and sells it back to us thankyou DANSAI. I’ve even considered moving once again to seek a spring water source on the land i could buy…the tap water here leaves a white and red residue on things, tried a britta water filter …that seems whimpy for now i just have to buy spring water for the store…HOW DO WE REALLY KNOW WHERE IT COMES FROM and What brands do you recommend? What about wells, not sure about the quality of water from a well, here the people that have wells only water outside with it and it leaves a red stain on trees etc
    ps. grew up in lyme CT home of the famous Lyme tick that yes i got bit once, serious antibiotics
    AND I ENJOY YOUR WEBSITE now i know where to get cinnamon which i put in everything THANKS

23. I have been suffering with extra weight around my thighs for a number of years and now I want to make a new change. The information that you have supplied here are great. Does anyone know of any good resources where I can get even more info on exercise and healthy diets.

24. barbara says:

I live in Albany near Berkeley and I can and do walk to everything I need. I have swiss chard, red and green to share for smoothies in the garden. Have access to orange, lemon (Meyer), and avacacdo trees for free food. Give me a call. Need help to pick the oranges.

25. We live out in the boonies, so we have a lot of beautiful nature that we can walk around in – including a gorgeous orchard just a few minutes away! – so driving is necessary. My husband and I both work out of the home, so that cuts driving down. My kid takes the bus to school, and that also cuts driving down. And we consolidate as many errands as we can into one outing. We don’t use as much gas since doing all this – thankfully.

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

26. Sue says:

I love to walk and to bike. I’m 61 years old and bike 2500 miles a year on average. I ride a recumbent bike all spring, summer and fall and when winter hits I hike in the cold and snow. I’ve averaged 1.7 walking miles per day since Jan 1st, but will soon switch to biking. It’s true “use it or lose it”. So many people my age can barely move just because they never have.