How to Make Your Own Natural Latex Mattress : The Renegade Health Show Episode #785

Monday Mar 21 | BY |

When we got our new apartment, we were positive that we wanted to spend most of our budget on a brand new natural latex mattress…

In the RV, we slept on the mattress that came with it for too long and our goal – once we stopped moving – was to build our own mattress.

I had done some research in the past, but now that we had our own place, it was time to put it all together – literally.

Check out how we made our own natural latex mattress AND saved about $1000 in the process!

Your question of the day: Have you ever tried laying down on a latex mattress?

I’m going to write a full article on this tomorrow, so stay tuned for the step by step process in written form.

For now, if you’re interested in getting an organic, natural latex mattress, you can contact Daliya at Nirvana Safe Haven here: http://www.nontoxic.com/latexmattress/makeyourownmattress.html

Be sure to tell her Kevin and Annmarie from Renegade Health sent you!

1. Geraldine says:

What about the natural latex mattress sold by Ikea? SULTAN ERFJORD, queen is at $899. Any good you think?

2. Leam says:

You say no out gassing, but does this mattress have an odor?

3. a says:

I’m a little bit underwhelmed after seeing this episode. I thought you’d be showing us some kind of ninja tricks to bond different foam densities into some kind of crazy fancy latex bed sandwich. If people charge a $1000 markup just to put a piece of latex inside of a mattress cover they should be ashamed of themselves.

I got some fancy Posturpedic knockoff. It’s supposedly infused with green tea and silver particles as an anti-microbial. It’s supposedly eco-friendly and green, but then it was also manufactured in China so who knows. I don’t know how to measure off gassing so maybe it was all marketing hype and you got a better bed. One thing I don’t like about the latex/foam beds is that you get extra hot in there. But one thing that is really nice is they mold themselves to your body. Enojy the new mattress and let us know how awesome it is. BTW where’s your earthing pad? LOL. Need one of those too right? (I don’t notice any difference w/ mine but I keep it as I like the idea anyways)…

4. This is neat, but I’ve been sleeping on the floor instead of a bed for a few years now. I get much better quality of sleep when I just sleep on the floor.

5. shine says:

id be interested in more info about what is the best thing to sleep on..i think i would have expected you to be sleeping on the floor as some do ? grin – maybe as you bought latex you feel this is the best..is the matress going straight on the floor ?

6. Frances says:

My mattress is an organic queen-size manufactured in California. It’s a lot more complicated than this… different layers of different materials. I don’t know if this is one of those cases where more complicated is really better. I paid around $2k, and it sounds like you paid $1.5k or $2k. It’s been 2 or 3 years since I bought mine, though, so maybe the prices have gone up.

7. Anna K. says:

Latex foam does not trap heat and does not mold to your body, synthetic memory foam does.
    Latex foam breathes and is springy, so no body imprints, ever. I built my own latex matress over a year ago and I love it!

8. kathi says:

how is latex good, is it made from oil??
    thanks

9. Mary says:

I have been sleeping on a latex mattress with a wool topper (which I really recommend for temperature control) for about 7 years. The wool topper keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer and also wicks away moisture when it is hot and humid. No more getting into a clammy bed at night. Hope you enjoy your new bed as much as me and have sweet dreams!

10. Tony Lee says:

hey guy,s. My company in mobile al. makes real latex beds ive had mine for ten years and it is still perfect..we pick up old ones all the time and after 40 to 50 years it will form a crust on top.But its the longest lasting sleeping material you can get .and it doesnt build up heat..

11. rachel says:

I have a thin organic wool cotton latex futon. It cost me well less than $1k including shipping. I agree latex and wool are a great combination.
    Everyone who sells a product deserves to make a profit selling them. Costs like labor, rent,
    advertising, utilities, paying for bulk costs of materials up front add up. Go into a health food store and buy some raw food snacks, the cost runs about $1.50 to $3 an OUNCE. The lady Kevin bought this from charges very little above HER COST. The markup mainly happens from maker to retailer. If you feel makers of these mattresses charge too much then you have the option of making your own. namaste’, rachel