Is Drinking Tea Just as Unhealthy as Coffee? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #757

Wednesday Feb 2 | BY |

After my article on coffee two days ago, we got a bunch of questions in…

Today, I’m going to address if tea is just as bad as coffee, if organic coffee has more health benefits, and if coffee is a good way to reduce the chance of Alzheimer’s disease.

Your question of the day: What is the tea you like drinking right now?

1. Blair says:

I don’t drink much tea…I have really really really been wanting to buy some cinnamon bark to make tea with but every time that I go to buy it you guys are out!!! SAVE ME SOME! haha

also…saw a video poking fun at you…fence riding. I just don’t see why people find the need to put energy into negativity. If they don’t agree with you then don’t agree with you. It made me sad because I love you guys and it just puts a negative vibe around those in the health community when someone does something of that nature. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME AND I LOVE HOW OPEN YOU ARE!!

2. Emma says:

Thank you for the show!
    Great topic!!! I am trying to get my dad stop drinking coffee and I am saying all that you are saying but he just won’t listen to me! Grr…
    But I will show him this video and hopefully he will listen a little bit more maybe…. : )
    My favorite tea right now is organic roobios koshier chai tea and dandilion tea : ) love it! espacially with some lemon and honey in….

What do you think about roobios tea?

Take care!
    Emma

3. Karen says:

I just love chamomile tea with lime and honey.

4. The Conqueress! says:

“Tea” of:
    (1) Pressed clove of garlic
    (1) Bit of dried/fresh oregano
    (1) Bit of dried/fresh hot red pepper
    placed into a mug.

Hot water poured over all.

Left, covered with a saucer, or ?, to steep & cool down a bit.

Either a spritz of lemon, or lime and/or a touch of the citrus zest added when ready to drink.

Mmmmm…

5. taylor says:

I love green tea. I don’t drink a lot of tea or coffee, but it doesn’t seem to affect me all that much.
    What DOES affect me is raw cacao! Man that stuff will send me bouncing off the walls!

6. debbie says:

I drink tons of hot water per day and add my own cinnamon and mint leaves and sometimes I alternate and put ginger in the water. So no formal tea per say, just hot water with these herbs as this is the only way I can get water in me. I do not like to drink cold water and once I found that I can tolerate it drinking hot water, I now drink enough to hydrate me and my urine is clear.
    by the way, I was addicted to coffee and quit cold turkey! Best thing I ever did about 5 years ago!

hugs.

7. Anne says:

Hey Kevin,

I do like green tea although I don’t drink it very often for all the good reasons you cite and also because I’m always out in the mornings and that’s when I would have it. I love Dandelion tea made by simmering dandy roots. Otherwise I look forward to try others like holly basil but I haven’t yet. I have roiboos when i’m at a coffee shop although I must admit that I’m not a huge fan. I prefer the vanilla roisboos because that gives a bit more flavor to it. Nothing’s really a must have for me at the moment.

8. Rachel Banks says:

Plain peppermint tea and Traditional Medicinal Breathe Easy teas are my favorites. 🙂

9. Rachel Banks says:

Blair, I wish there was a way to click :like” on people’s comments; I “like” your comment very much! 🙂

10. Nettle tea and rooibos tea. I then mix my superfoods into it with my Blendtec… yummy!

11. Tracy Julias says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Michael and I have been drinking tea lately because it is so cold in Sedona. Can you believe it was 15 degrees today! Nothing like a warm cup of tea cupped in your hands.

Thanks for your show and stay warm!

My friend from Japan gave us a buckwheat tea it is super good. It also seems to flush you…

12. Ildiko says:

Great show, as usual.
    I love roibos tea and many herbal teas, I drink them on a regular basis. I do however still like coffee and black tea, it is something I know I have to eventually give up to make me feel better.
    One step at a time!

13. Rae says:

I used to drink a lot of yerba mate until I discovered how much caffeine it has. Now I drink Pero coffee substitute.
    Another note on the dead birds: While it’s true the USDA poisons a lot of animals, if you check Linda Moulton Howe’s site, Earthfiles, she says that necropsies were performed on the Beebe, Ark., birds (among others) and no poison was found in their remains. The vet who did the necropsies concluded they were killed by “blunt force trauma.”

14. Annie says:

Love tulsi tea! (Love green tea, too, but i don’t drink it anymore because of the caffeine.)

15. Veronika says:

Tulsi, or I make an antioxidant/mineral blend of rooibos, nettles, horsetail, licorice, and white oak bark (for healthy teeth and gums).

16. Caroline says:

My favorite tea? It was Jasmine Green Tea and now I’m going to try and pay attention to how it is affecting me. It’s one cup in the morning and it was a transition from coffee years ago. I’m going to get some herbals and phase it out 🙂 Thanks for the RH Show!

17. deadravens says:

Milk thistle in my mug right now, other wise it would be nettle, pau d’arco chaggo rose hips depending on the time of day. But nothing like making tea, especially when it comes from your gardens, pine, chamomile, thyme, sage, dandelion root, burdock etc… 😉 cheers to tea drinking!

18. Nick says:

Cinnamon honey Ginger
    Tulsi
    Ginseng
    Burdock root
    Thai spice

19. SILVER TEA!!!! (hot water) love S

20. briany says:

It would be interesting to know if people with mental conditions such as autism, ADHD, anxiety disorders etc would be more adversely affected by coffee in terms of hyperactivity.
    I am mildly autistic and I find that a small serving of cacao, coffee, or green tea worsens my sleep difficulties somewhat even though I feel sleepy in bed. I must avoid it in the evening. Maybe the caffeine interacts with heavy metals. I personally have racing thoughts and feel hypersensitive so of course I would expect it to worsen.
    I hope I won’t miss out if I just consume rooibos, berries, spices, etc.

21. Francesca says:

Dandelion tea, or rooibos or teas made from my own herbs .

22. Michelle says:

Yerba mate with raw honey and fresh ginger root.

23. casey says:

fermented teas!

anything i have, i’ll ferment. lately mostly ginger with some vanilla

24. Alina says:

Would glass straw help with the teeth staining?

25. roni says:

current tea is jamaica rose hips with ginger, because the bushes are loaded. also sometimes if I need a boost, I have some yerba mate with fruit juice.
    other favs are lemon grass with cardamom, or anything that resembles an herbal chai.
    (my chai recipe is cinnamon, coriander seed, cardamom, black pepper, ginger, clove and optional star anise)

26. nancy says:

i like white tea
    about your brocoli and pear in your fridge…
    i have a recipe for you.
    chop and grate the brocoli
    use a dressing you like
    mix the 2 together
    chop or grate the pear
    and had it…

27. Ineke says:

The teas that I prefer are herbal chai teas and also teas that have rosehip and dried berries in it. I guess after the latter ones I should maybe brush my teeth with the tooth brightner. Thanks for bringing that up.

After all this discussion about coffee I think you should tackle another one… UNBIASED PLEASE and that is the consumption of wine. Yes, I know you have had some problem with alcohol but that doesn’t mean that the rest of us (especially the European viewers) have. In fact, in Europe we always make fun of it that the drunk people on the beaches in the summer are not the natives but the Anglosaxons (You can guess for yourself who that would be). A lot of studies have been done about the (moderate) consumption of wine and I’m glad that you always bring up that it is important to look at who has been funding those studies. I do know that there are doctors out there in the holistic field and also some raw food teachers that totally agree with the consumption of a glass of wine now and then so I would like to hear your opinion on it. I can see that for certain health conditions you may want to abstain from anything alcoholic but what about the average healthy person?

28. aya kiawe says:

Jiaogulan Tea
    thaiorganiclife.com has it for low price too
    no caffeine
    and amazing taste

29. I like peppermint tea… and my favorite tea treat is a “peppermint latte.”
    I mix peppermint and tulsi tea leaves and brew it strong… and then I make my own nut or seed milk with a tablespoon of green stevia, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt… fill the cup with 1/2 nut milk, and 1/2 tea… or less milk for a “low-fat latte”… lish!

30. oreganol says:

Human nature is funny. If you say coffee is bad, then people ask about decaf coffee. If you say that is also bad, they then ask about organic coffee. If you say, look guys, all coffee is bad, they then ask about tea.

I think it’s very difficult for people to give up these addictions and instead of looking to change completely people just look for a different way to get the same drug.

It’s like telling a heroin addict that injecting heroin is bad. They will then probably suggest snorting it. If you tell them that is also bad they will want to make it into a tea. They will also conduct lots of search and then claim that they found out it had some antioxidants.

People just can’t accept that they are addicted. I drink tea, so I’m including myself in that statement!

31. paul says:

I just started brewing chaga tea. Wow, that stuff is great. I usually add it to either tulsi, yerba mate, or peppermint. I’ve read that there is no caffeine in yerba, but there is something similar that doesn’t give most people that jittery feeling. Can you comment on that, Kevin?
    Keep up the good work!
    Paul

32. Val Jacobson says:

Moroccan Mint tea!
    Crush up a fresh bunch of freshly harvested mint leaves, pour hot water over it and add some raw honey after it cools down a bit! YUM!

Also, we use Traditional Medicinals because they are environmentally conscience!

33. D says:

I have not been as adventurous with tea. But I enjoy chamomile with lavender, chamomile and peppermint, lemongrass, hops, and lemon verbena. I add some lemon juice and sometimes a tiny tiny little bit of raw honey too.

34. Mark says:

Hi can I have your suggestions please…

I have 3 stone = 19050 grams of fat / weight = 171450 calories.
    I want to burn this off in a week, that is:-
    24492 calories a day. (Which is only 10 times your normal calorie consumption)

So I need ideas on how to burn 10 times as much, no idea is a bad one, I want brain storming…

Brainstorm ideas to get the ball rolling:-
    1. I had a friend that caught malaria and half his weight in no time.
    2. Jack myself up on coffee, stay awake all week, working out in a subzero room.

35. Ingrid says:

Holy basil leaf tea. I love the flavor!

36. Eddie Orso says:

I have been making my own homemade Reishi Tea from Whole Reishi Mushrooms every morning. Been 5 months now and have seen amazing results! Other than that, i make burdock root, dandelion root, and ginger tea’s. Great video Kevin!

Eddie Orso

37. I am… TEA LADY! Seriously. I drink so much tea I’m surprised I’m not floating. I start off every morning with either a cup of hot jasmine green tea with raw honey or a cup of hot yerba mate with powdered green leaf stevia. Throughout the day I alternate between spring water (that we gather ourselves) and various other hot teas. We always have a crock of chaga and reishi going, so I might have that or one of these others (these are my top faves):

– rooibos
    – ginger root
    – nettle
    – ginseng
    – dandelion
    – some spicy Celestial Seasonings blend, like Bengal Spice

Mmmm… tea…

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

38. Earl Grey Hot – Decaf 😀 My favorite. 🙂 Nothing like a warm soothing cup of tea for relaxing and reading a book.

39. Leam says:

A family member who never wants to hear anything anti-coffee recently started to read the book Water for Health, for Healing, for Life…You’re Not Sick, You’re Thirsty! by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. which I had on the self for a long time. The part in the book on the adverse effects of caffeine had really had an impact. Sometimes a person needs to read something for oneself without outside interference to finally make an impact. Now they have a desire to wean from coffee as well as drink more water. Hooray!
    Enjoy drinking mint tea with carob and green stevia.

40. Roxene says:

Thanks, Kevin… Another aspect not mentioned in the studies is whether or not they use deodorants containing aluminum or any other aluminum for cooking (such as rice cookers, cookie sheets, cake/pie pans, or baking powder with aluminum, etc.), which also contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.

My husband and I seem to prefer peppermint tea. We have a large variety of herbal teas, but peppermint seems to be our favorite. My husband was a big coffee drinker and now prefers Roma (a coffee substitute) the best. We have Pero, as well, but prefer Roma.

I appreciate your show. At first I wondered what you young kids knew about real health, but now that I have been watching you, I’m very proud of your honesty, desire to learn and dig for truth, and all the knowledge you do have. I appreciate your cheerfulness and good natures, as well and find you delightful to watch. Thanks.

41. Diana (Ohio) says:

I JUST ADORE TEA!!!!
    I have been drinking tea for as long as I can remember. My mom used to give me “tea milk” when I was young, half milk half tea. As time went on I think I have sampled every kind of tea imaginable. Today, I have an entire shelf in my kitchen cabinet with all “store bought” teabags and another shelf just for jars of herbs to mix and match as the mood strikes.

I tried green tea for a while, you know, all caught up in the hype, and it just destoyed me (just like cocoa beans did). My fingernails were curling up, I became agitated, moody etc. When I quite the tea, I felt better, but to this day, if I drink a cup of green tea, the next morning my nails will have started to curl!!! That can’t be good.

Favorite teas, oh so many.

Right now I’m kind of heavy on:
    Holy Basil
    Raspberry & rose hip
    horsetail & rose hip
    alfalfa & rose hip
    nettle
    lemon balm
    peppermint
    chamomile
    valarian, yup, I enjoy the flavor
    green rooibos
    decaf earl grey
    sleepytime

I LOVE chaga, but I think it plays with my hormones, if I drink it for a few days my breast become tender, whats up with that?

In the summer when I am harvesting my herbs, my dehydrator never stops, so I just had to get a second dehydrator, yup, I LOVE TEA

Thanks Kevin and Annmarie

42. Diana (Ohio) says:

Oh, I forgot,

Kombucha tea , but is that a tea or a fermented food or both?

Right now I’m sitting here after another huge snow and ice storm that shut everything down so my mind was on hot teas, but I do make kombucha tea in the summer.

Cheers

43. ben says:

I agree with the position to look into studies and be suspicious but the blue zones (see book of the same name) statistical data is interesting for this topic- 4/5 groups of people that live statistically into the 100’s more then any other group of people on earth consume significant quantities of tea and coffee, and most attribute longevity to this fact.

44. suzette says:

Yummy treat: brew a bag of each ginger and jasmine together in a big pretty mug. Very very nice 🙂 I also really like chamomile. Am I the only one who thinks that chamomile has a hint of pineapple-like flavor?

Ok so when you say to post comments & questions below, do you mean to ask the questions here too? Cuz I’ve asked before and don;t know where to look for the answers. And yes I am computer illiterate so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. But I’ll just post my questions here again anyway and see what happens 🙂
    1) Do you think it’s okay to eat packaged kale chips every single day? I rrrreally like these nacho cheese ones and also the coconut curry ones. From what I can gather, nutritional yeast is ok, unlike brewers yeast because it’s not alive/active but still rich in nutrients needed on a mostly vegan diet. I’d value your opinion. Do you like them?
    2) I can’t understand why the makers of these yummy flavor extracts from Medicine Flower won’t put their ingredients on the label. I’ve asked them what’s in it and they are very nice but just keep using words like essence and extract and pure and organic & wild crafted. I just want to know if the orange extract is made “purely” from oranges and if there were ONLY cherries used in the cherry flavor and ONLY bananas in the banana flavor (I once put a couple drops of the banana in a bowl of buckwheat cereal and milk and it created little firework like reactions – scary!). I don’t even care how “raw” it is, I just want to know what’s in it, and why some of them smell like alcohol. See, I really like them but I want to feel good about them if I’m going to ingest it. I’ve made a rather large investment in them and have a big variety of flavors. And they’re lovely in a jug of chia water. I wanna knoooooow!! LOL Help!

45. Lorien says:

I have a cup of Tulsi every day, I like some other teas as well. I’m thinking of just putting leaves in hot water and mixing it up a bit that way. We have a nice mint at work, smells wonderful, must taste nice as well.

46. bob says:

fresh ginger root and lemon, tulsi, kombucha- home brewed with black tea.

Does the kombucha culture eat the caffeine in the tea so that the kombucha drink is caffeine free? I’ve asked several folks and have not gotten a consistent answer. What is your take on it? Thanks.

47. Rich says:

Yerba Matte, but now maybe not…it does have alot of caffeine

ginger tea always puts me in kind of a stoney-ish mood so usually just do straight up root and boiling water in evenings…

48. Jan says:

Right now I drink rosemary or lemon balm. In the summer I drink lots of mint tea.

49. Max says:

The entire world drinks black tea and coffee, even the healthiest people in the world. It is only in the US that people jump on the bandwagon and demonize a food.
    The Chinese drink far more black tea than green tea. They are the same tea anyway,just in different forms. I could give you a long list of all the diseases that both black tea and coffee inhibit but you can research that yourself. Silly Americans thinking a food is all good or bad.

50. Sandy says:

Teechino is a great coffee substitue, chocolate mint is my favorite.
    I also like rooibos tea.

51. stacie says:

I usually drink white tea or an herbal blend, and like to add some peppermint, too.
    GO PACK!!!!! =)

52. Cynthia says:

Matcha Green Tea is the BEST frothed with a little vanilla coconut milk! Matcha is one of the healthiest green teas out there.

53. pear and broccoli smoothie = yummy!

Love the new lens…very cool!

Great point about stimulation and stress. I am going to shoot for no coffee next week. Currently drink one cup a day but think it is just a habit at this point.

How about decaf green tea?

Favorite tea is the honey camomile by Organic India.

54. Beth says:

I rotate between green, white and peppermint tea.

Great new lens!

55. lisa says:

I don’t drink coffee anymore, HOWEVER, in Ayurveda, which is an ancient tradition and one that seems in line a lot with you, has a place for coffee. Perhaps you would want to research their view on coffee before you trash it completely. There are certain types of people (doshas) who really need coffee to balance them out.

56. Tea is amazing! Im a teaholic..Drink many liters per day. In the morning i have a hearbal tea with my brekky, currently drinking a raspberry herbal tea – delishious.

Talking about great tea – Kevin, when will you get more cinnamon bark in?

Much love from Ida

57. oh wait? COffee is meant to reduce the risk of getting alzheimer?
    Bullshit. My nan just got alzheimer and ive never met a person who drinks more coffee than her.

And my favourite tea?
    Tough… some kind of flavoured sencha tea i suppose – and oolong blackcurrant is a winner too. DOnt know, theyre all amazing! (except “english breakfast tea”, yellow label and things like that)

58. Dawn says:

I am currently in love with Aveda’s herbal comfort tea. It has licorice root which gives it this amazing sweet aftertaste. So delicious! I used to drink all kinds of different teas, but now I only ever crave this one. If you ever pass by an Aveda store they will usually offer it to you when you come in so you can try it-I don’t recommend their other products-just the tea 🙂

59. Paul Aubert says:

Must be an honest soul, I truly love the tea-sharing experience and the potential communal element, as when you have guests over and sit down and converse and connect (even on the potential spiritual level). That said, I’m drawn to the aged teas: Pu-erh teas (usually found in cakes or bricks of tea), with some fairly well-recognized health effects–they appear to be fairly cleansing, though the caffeine umph is undeniable. I’m also found of matcha (it just tastes so darn potently intriguing. Love the show, thx for getting into this topic, you comments were certainly real and fair.
    Paul

60. Jacquie says:

It’s a tie between Tulsi and Kev’s WONDERFUL cinnamon bark tea. 😉 Save travel to you both!

61. Elizabeth says:

I love peppermint and licorice tea! Either separate or together! I also got a lot of tulsi tea when I was in India so I am enjoying that as well.

62. Dee says:

Yerba Mate is a big favorite right now.

63. Nihacc says:

I like Rooibos with vanilla, mmmhh, delicious! 🙂

64. Heidi says:

Your shows are the best ever! So interesting.
    Thank you!

65. Bill says:

I drink Yerba Mate mixed with Horsetail, Nettles and Pau D’arco during the day and Tulsi tea’s Green Pomegranate sometimes at night.

66. MF says:

“A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.”

You know so little and yet start to demonize coffee. Everything is balance .. yin and yang .. male and female … coffee and tea … one cannot exist without the other …

67. Patricia says:

Hi Kevin

Informative show and very interesting. Chinese tea can be either acidic or akaline. My favourite tea:-

1) Rooibos
    2) Lychee black tea
    3) Mulberry
    4) Cat whiskers

After drying the leaves, crushed them separately and bottle them for future use. If you want some sweetness add honey.

Good health and happiness.
    Patricia