A Delicious Apple Celery Juice Recipe : The Renegade Health Show Episode #750

Monday Jan 24 | BY |

In honor of Jack LaLanne’s life, we’ve decided to do a Juicing Week tribute…

Today’s show, I’ll show you a great tasting juice and use Annmarie’s sister’s Jack LaLanne juicer. That’s right… I’ll show you. 😉

Your question of the day: What is your favorite juice right now?

Here is the recipe!

South of the Border – (From the Jack LaLanne juicer recipe booklet)

1/4 large red pepper (stem removed)
1 celery stalk
1/2 lime (peeled)
few springs cilantro
1 small apple (stem and seeds removed)

Juice ingredients in order. Stir and Serve.

Jack also suggest to use as a salad dressing by adding a yogurt to it. Coconut yogurt would be yummy! Or to use it as a marinade!

1. charlotgarland says:

my favorite green juice receipe
    is Green Goddess by raw chef Renee

4 romaine leaves
    3 stalks celery
    1 cucumber
    1 lemon
    2 apples

my 12 year old grandaughter and I have it
    every morning
    great for newbies because it is so mild and good

2. Geri says:

thanks Kevin and Annmarie for doing this! I just loved Jack LaLanne and I remember him coming out in his gray jumpsuit doing jumping jacks. I used to exercise with my mom to his show. Of course it was in black and white. He’ll be trully missed!
    I am so glad you are giving us some new juice recipes! Can you give us some good breakfast ones? thanks again for all you guys do!

3. Sophie says:

My fave is beet, apple, ginger and lime. Yum!

4. I juiced most of the day yesterday! Also did a juice recipe in my weekly newsletter, Kitchen News From Israel. http://mim.io/1705c

Here it is:

Energy Juice !
    3-4 oranges
    1/2 small beet w/greens
    1/2 grapefruit
    3-4 small cucumbers
    handful spinach
    1/2 ” – 1 inch knob of gingerroot (will help warm you up in winter months)
    Run all through your juicer and drink immediately.

5. Ineke says:

My favorite juice is Hippocrates style green juice: cucumber, pea sprouts and garlic. If I don’t have the sprouts it is kale, cucumber, celery, garlic/ginger and sometimes I add apple and or lemon to it. As you can see we take juicing very seriously. Sometimes I want a break from the green juice and then I juice grapefruit, cranberry, apple and ginger.

I saw Jack Lalanne on TV a couple of weeks ago while I was doing my workout at the gym. He got all the elderly into juicing. I thought it was very inspirational to see older people getting excited about juicing. Indeed it is a loss but it is also an example of getting in touch with our own mortality no matter how healthy you live

6. hi kevin and annemarie
    couldn’t view the video for some reason

thanks for doing this to honor jack lalanne
    i have the pleasure of hearing him and meeting
    both of them at the expo in anaheim a number of years ago and took a picture with jack
    he was such an inspiration to so many people and i
    wish i recorded his presentation that day

congrats to the steelers for you, kevin
    i don’t care about football, can’t wait for
    baseball – go yankees (but, explain something
    you are a yankees fan, but not a NY football fan?)

check out my blog in which i documented my 42 day coconut water cleanse done december 2009 to january 2010 http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and click on the archive for december 2009 to read in its entirety

namaste
    chef mindy aka Ageless (low-fat) Raw Vegan Beauty

7. mmm..great tribute, i made some juice to toast to jack lelanne today too…one of my fave juices is:
    2 celery stalks
    2 fennel stalks
    2 carrots
    and ginger if you’re feeling spicy 🙂

If you haven’t juiced fennel..you’re missing out! It’s like candy…mmmmmmm..oh and mint…juice some mint too! Thanks for the great show!

8. Carol says:

I have a Vita Mix. I’m assuming I can use these recipes with smaller amounts and added water? I prefer the smoothie to the juice because of the added fiber.

9. Carol says:

I should have added that I to appreciate the honoring of Jack Lalane. I grew up with him in the 50’s though I didn’t follow his program. To bad. Might of saved all the years of health challenges. 🙂

10. Annabella says:

My current favorite juice:

1 cucumber
    1 burdock root
    thumb sized piece of ginger
    1/2 lime, zest removed
    bunch dandelion greens
    9-12 stalks of celery

11. Michael T. says:

That south of the border juice would also work fine as a smoothie. Just put everything in the vita mix, add a little water, and blend on high speed for a minute. Add a few ice cubes to keep it cold, as the vita mix will make the smoothie warm after a while. It would be a little thicker than the juice, but still drinkable.

I usually just make smoothies. I would only use a juicer for things like carrots and beets that have a lot of fiber. Most greens and fruits make wonderful smoothies, and the extra fiber is good for me. Also, the fiber slows down the absorption of the sugars, so you don’t get so much of a blood sugar spike.

Or, as a way of getting the best of both worlds, you could juice the apples, then add the apple juice to the vita mix and then add everything else and blend. That would be part juice and part smoothie. What would you call that? A juithee? Or Smuice? Smooce? Smoocie?

LOL!

Happy juicing and/or blending.

Michael T.

12. Ceci says:

My favorite at this moment is: a bunch of Kale, a bunch of dandelion or spinach, 1 apple, 1/2 lemon and about a cup of water. I’m currently using my blender to make my green juices. After I blend everything up, I strain it with a nut milk bag. This way I don’t get any pulp in my juice.
    Thank you for all your videos and information.
    Cheers!

13. Kuru says:

That was a dainty little portion of juice in those sweet stemmed glasses. I never juice unless I make at least a pint for myself, which I juice into a beer mug! It’s pretty much always a carrot base which I will support till the day I die. I’m sorry carrots have fallen out of favor as a superior veggie, and I just don’t buy it. My blood sugar is normal after 30 years of juicing at least 5 days a week. They’re loaded with minerals, great for the eyes and will change your complexion in just a few days. I add celery and beet and sometimes ginger or daikon (another fave, roots make great juice!).

14. Doris says:

Jack LaLanne frequented the shops and restaurants in beautiful Morro Bay, Ca where he and his wife lived. We would see him from time to time and he was always so friendly. He loved having his picture taken and I am so happy I have a picture of him and my two daughters in one of his favorite restaurants on the Embarcadero. He will be missed but never forgotten. Thank you for this nice tribute to an amazing man.

15. Mary Artemis says:

We think the juicer is GREAT entertainment. However, here’s a technique. Pop a plastic produce bag into the bin of that thing for the fiber, then just lift it out – no fiber!!

Favorite Juices –
    CELERY, PARSLEY, EXTRA LEMON
    CARROT APPLE ORANGE
    BANANA ORANGE PINEAPPLE (need to finish it in the VitaMix)

Mary from Stamford, CT

16. Mary Artemis says:

P.S. Enjoy New Jersey. I grew up in the Garden State, in Northern NJ. You guys seem to be anchored the same places I am – NJ, CT, and Bay Area La Morinda – -then Wine Country for 10 years, in addition to my international travel. Kinda weird.
    Mary from Stamford, CT

17. Leam says:

Used to “juice” frozen bananas and strawberries all the time in a champion juicer to make “ice cream” for the kids.

18. Debbie says:

Carrots,cucumber,celery,apple sometimes a dash of ginger !!!! Yum !

19. debbie says:

Oh I just had suggested that you interview him for your show……..RIP Jack!
    iN YOUR HONOR I juiced:

apple
    celery
    banana
    relishes
    spinach
    spirulina
    coconut water

I love my jacklanne juicer!

thanks guys!

20. stephanie says:

Well they don’t taste all that great though something feels reeeeeeeaaalllyyyyy good when i add fresh turmeric root and fresh stinging nettles to my green juice in the early spring- which almost always has dandelion leaf.

21. Dee says:

Carrot, Pineapple, Ginger, Celery & Lemon or Orange
    Go Packers!!!

22. Thanks for the juicing ideas. Never thought of herbs in the juicer…will have to try that.
    My classic favorite:
    2 apples
    2 carrots
    1 slice of lemon (skin off)
    1 small cube of fresh ginger (skin off)

23. May says:

Right now I’m lovin’ grapefruit juice with dandelion greens and a small piece of ginger.

24. Carol says:

Thanks for the info on the Vita Mix. I don’t own a juicer. Maybe I should put one on my list? I’m still figuring out all this diet/nutrition stuff and sorting through the controversy to find what’s best for me and my family. 🙂

25. Tony Lee says:

Juicing is my Favorite..
    K so i like to use fresh organis radish,ginger,celery,pear,apple,cucumber,parsley,sometimes carrot,and chug…on a empty stomach…watch out .you,ll feel new again LOL..

26. Kelly says:

This is the one we make all the time. And we are addicted to it! Makes 2 large glasses. Enjoy

1 medium beet (red or golden) – use stems n leaves too
    squeeze 1/2 a lemon in the container first, roughly 2TBLS juice
    4 Lrg carrots
    1 granny smith or braeburn ( spelled wrong! ) apple
    1″ chunk of ginger
    1/2 cucumber, peel if not organic
    Lately we have been adding 1 – 2 leaves of rainbow or red chard

27. Nadia says:

Wonderful that you are honouring Jack LaLanne, what a wonderful tribute to a great man!

My favourite at the moment is;
    swiss or rainbow chard
    celery
    carrots
    apple
    kale
    cilantro
    dill
    parsley
    bell pepper

It is a great sweet/sour green juice. I thought it tasted like tamarind juice which I absolutely love

28. Peadar says:

Lemon Ginger Blast inspired by Lou Corona

1. Kale
    2. Cucumber
    3. Celery
    4. Fennel
    5. Parsley
    6. Apple, a few carrots
    7. Lemon
    8. A healthy knob of ginger
    9.A piece of scotch bonnet pepper (optional).

All washed down with some spirulina and chlorella and lift off, ready to cycle to work through the streets of Dublin City.
    Love Peadar. x

29. Mamabird says:

Kale or Spinach
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Sweet Apple
    Lime

I interchange with:

Carrot
    Beet
    Apple
    Ginger

These are the 2 drinks we have all week.

30. KAREN BEATTIE says:

I MAKE CARROT, GINGER AND APPLE TOGETHER! I HAVE A JACK LA LANE JUICER AND LOVE IT. POMOGRANATE JUICE NEEDS A PRESS.

31. KAREN BEATTIE says:

DID JACK LALANE DIE AT 96? SAD BUT HE LIVED A BEAUTIFUL LIFE OF HEALTH AND HELPING OTHERS!

32. Mar Raw says:

I do not limit myself to just one juice, I love all the juices and I get excited every morning to make a new tasty one. RIP Jack!

33. Ingrid says:

I like carrot based juices and lately I add a yellow kiwi to my juice which gives it an amazing flavor!

A question: sometimes when I juice a lot I end up with constipation… Does that mean too much fiber?

34. Jasmin says:

I will try these juices abd here is one of my favorite.

Pineapple
    Ginger

Cantelope (with skin)
    Ginger
    Can add peaches and/or banana

I have a Jack Lalane Juicer

35. Lori says:

Again – Why juice instead of blend? (besides that the juicing eliminates the pulp)
    How often do all of you juice vs blending?
    Love the idea of honoring a wonderful man who tried to reach so many selflessly.

36. LadyLight says:

Response to INGRID: The only problem with too much juicing and not much solid whole food is that you are NOT getting enough fiber which leads to constipation.
    Try stirring some pulp back into the juice; eat more solid fiber-rich food the rest of the day; stir or blend some chia, flax, or psyllium seeds into your diet; or otherwise increase your fiber intake to prevent constipation. 🙂

37. nancy says:

beet with whatever i have in the fridge
    it’s soooo delicious!

38. Susie says:

No entertainment?!?! You “shuushing” the juicer gave me a good laugh! 🙂 Kev, YOU are the entertainment 😉

39. I’ve been juicing grapefruit and orange juice just about every day. I did a great vegetable juice last week that was surprisingly good also (“5000 Volt Juice” recipe given on The Raw Food World TV Show). I’d like to juice more greens/vegetables, but it’s not that appealing to me right now.

40. Diane says:

When I did have a juicer, my favorite combo was:
    apple, beet, celery, cucumber and garlic!

When I was young (63 yo now), I used to
    watch Jack LaLanne on TV and exercise with him!
    New to raw foods and love your website,
    especially the videos.

P.S. New Chapter Rhodiola works best for us
    burnt out hippies, almost anyone over 50 yo!

41. John says:

I like beet (greens and all), apple, carrot, celery, and ginger.

42. Nihacc says:

Fennel and apple juice! I also like the carrots and spinach one 🙂