Kelp Sea Veggie Salad (Raw Food Recipe) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #737

Wednesday Jan 5 | BY |

First raw food recipe for the new year…

In this episode, Ann makes an awesome sea veggie and kale salad that has an Asian flair.

She also demonstrates some cooked foods we incorporate into our diet (and in this case, into the salad!)

Your question of the day: When was the last time you had brussels sprouts?

Sea Veggie Salad by Elaina Love

1 head of dinosaur kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
1/2 cup hijiki soaked at least 1 hour (2 cups after soaking) (I omitted this due to toxicity of hijiki)
1/4 cup kelp that has been soaked and finely chopped
1 cup sprouted quinoa* or white sesame seeds (I used cooked Quinoa)
1 sheet crumbled, raw nori (I could not find a raw one local to me so I left out)
1 Tbs. grated ginger
1 Tbs. miso paste (mellow white is good) (I totally forgot this!)
1 Tbs. tamari
2 Tbs.raw, unrefined sesame oil
1/4 tsp. toasted sesame oil (this adds a great flavor punch)
Juice of orange (3 Tbs.)
1/4 tsp. orange zest
Juice of lemon (3 Tbs.)
1 Tbs. tahini (omitted because it has been giving Kevin an upset stomach, so instead I used 1 tsp soaked Irish Moss and 1/4 cup water, and 3 green onions as added flavor)
Optional: a squirt of agave or honey (I did not use any and it was still very yummy!)

Instructions:

Drain the liquid off the soaked sea vegetables discard the water then rinse the sea vegetables well. Blend everything except the kale, sea vegetables and quinoa in a blender until smooth. Put Kale, Kelp, and Quinoa in large bowl. Pour the sauce over the salad and stir well.

Enjoy (Thanks, Elaina)!

1. Annie says:

Last week. I have more in my freezer. Love em!

2. Karen says:

I had some roasted brussel sprouts over the holidays and they were okay. I would never make them myself, although I will eat them because they are good for you. I still don’t like beets, but they’re so good for you that I will eat them too. This recipe looks awesome. Thanks!

3. Carina says:

Yesterday. Love them roasted, also love them lightly sauteed with fresh red grapes and raw walnuts…yum.

4. Somehow I missed hearing the reasons why you are now including cooked foods – I am curious!

5. crow says:

Had Brussel Sprouts about a month ago. Love them too.

6. suzanne says:

Get them at least several times a month. Either lightly steamed eaten w/my combined brn. basmati, wild rice and red quinoa or roasted w/salt and olive oil (going to try it w/coconut oil instead). Love them. I was going to let readers know that one can google a rice cooker made by “Miracle” w/a stainless steel bowl, not the teflon that one sees in the stores. Its $100, but I have had mine for years. I cook all the mentioned grains together. It even has a little steamer basket for veggies that can be added towards the end of the rice cooking time.

7. Annick says:

We eat brussel sprout a few times a month. My girls love them. I have to restrict the quantities! But they don’t like it nature. It has to have tamari and grilled sesame oil. I sometimes even make them raw with those ingredients and into the dehydrateur for a few hours (I add water).

Have a nice day!

8. Debbie says:

I used to work at an Assisted Living facility and we ate our lunch with the residents in a beautiful dining room. The kitchen staff had some of the best cooks. I had never had brussell sprouts before and my oh my I was always so happy when they were on the menu !!!! That was back in the early 90’s. I have not had them again since then. But I absolutely loved them. By the way your feast looks de-lish !

9. Mary says:

It has been a few months. I agree with Kevin, that they only taste good cooked–same with broccoli and asparagus.

10. Barbara W. says:

A year or two. Thanks for showing us a recipe with an added grain option. Looked delicious 🙂

11. debbie says:

I am sorry that I cannot remember EVER eating brussels sprouts…….guess I ought to start now huh?

12. Jessic a says:

We ate them during christmas!

13. Satori says:

maybe once upon a thanksgiving or Christmas. Hate Brussel Sprouts!!!

14. Janet Doane says:

We found some at the farmers market. We’d never had the FRESH before. I halved brussel sprouts and marinated them for 30 minutes with oil, balsamic vinegar (use lemon juice if you can’t use vinegar) and garlic. Serve with lemony sorrel leaves if you can find them, some spinach or lettuce, a little bit of finely chopped green onions, a handful of walnuts, some avocado, and a drizzle of your favorite dressing.

This way they were awesome. I love your recipe – we love seaweed and kale, and all the ingredients you use. Thank you Kevin and Annmarie!!

15. Stephanie says:

Don’t think I’ve ever had them.

16. bitt says:

I’m confused because I thought that you had said that all the raw crustiferous veggies stuff affecting thyroid was bogus? Was there some new research that changed your mind?

We eat meals like that a lot. But we often have beans (for iron). Do you?

17. Anne says:

I so rarely eat them. I’ve never liked them and occasionally will buy them for variety but maybe once at year max.

They look better than they are and I’m with Kevin…raw Brussel sprouts?? Yuk! I eat a lot of my evening meals cooked these days. It seems to work better for me but I might try doing some mix of raw and cooked.

18. Lorien says:

I eat Brussels Sprouts all the time. I just steam them a bit and eat them plain. That’s how I eat all my steamed veges, other then now and then putting a bit of coconut oil on them. Coconut oil on sweet potatoes is also yummie.

19. Angie Leigh says:

I had them the day after Christmas. My parents cooked them and when I was visiting that was about the only veggie I could find in their fridge. So I cooked them up, yummie!

20. nancy says:

it’s funny because i went to the grocery store and bought some today (wich i haven’t eaten for a long time) and didn’t know
    that this was the question of the day…

21. Kathy says:

Thanksgiving. I love brussel sprouts – always cooked though!

22. Joni says:

Thank you so much for the info on low thyroid. Because I have one. I also don’t have a gallbladder anymore. I tried eating a very large amount of Kale and was a sick little girl for it. What other greens should be steam. I eat spinach raw and have no problem.
    Also info for you Quinoa is not a grain but a seed and is very healthy. Also check out Chia another awesome seed.

Joni

23. Daniela B Gadamska says:

I eat brussels sprouts quite often with sprinkle olive oil on it
    But Why do you eat 2 cruciferus veg together-this is upsetting thyroid

24. Betoman says:

I ate B sprouts a few months back. They’re great steamed, then sliced in half with fresh lemon juice dripped into the heart of the sprout. They are often hard to find organic here in Central Texas. I tried to grow them over the winter last year and failed. We stuck with less finicky greens this winter. Kale is king right now.

25. Heather says:

Hmm I actually really disliked them as a kid so I never gave them another chance. I suppose I should give them a try now. I like lots of things that I didn’t then.

Thanks for a great looking salad. 🙂

26. Dr. Elicia says:

Eating brussel sprouts right now, how did you know?
    🙂

27. jackie says:

Just had brussel sprouts, re-heated, 2 days ago. I don’t like them raw. Yeah, Bitt is right…I remember you saying that eating cruciferous veggies like kale doesn’t affect the thyroid; that that info. was bogus. So which one is right? Did you find out something new?

28. Carly says:

I have some in the dehydrator right now — sliced them up and marinated them in garlic infused evoo, sprinkled with sea salt and cumin. They were amazing when I put them in – can’t wait to eat them tomorrow! Btw, a 15″ glass cutting board slipped onto a shelf ridge allows my Excalibur to accomodate a Pyrex dish so the marinade can stay on the veggies!

29. Carly says:

re my dehydrator “cooked” Brussels, I also sprinkled with fresh lime juice.

30. tom says:

Hi All,

Been a while since I’ve had Brussels sprouts, but I like them.

Kevin, after reading High Raw I started incorporating cooked grains, potato’s, etc into my raw foods just as you did on the show here.

Quinoa and Amaranth are excellent to use for this.

31. Lorna says:

Just wanted to say how much I love you both!! Thank you for everything you do to change the Health of the World!! BIG BIG HUGS TO YOU BOTH XO

32. jennie_raw says:

Dude. I love brussel sprouts. But I make no point to eat them any more… don’t want to overdo it, you know? I remember a couple years ago when I was just getting into the idea of eating seasonally, and at that time, brussels were in. I saw a big bag of them in the produce aisle, and I had one of those body intuition moments where you nearly feel convicted about wanting… no, NEEDING to eat a certain kind of food (very different from a junk food craving though).
    I took them home and roasted half the bag with some EVOO, sea salt, and cracked pepper, and because that’s all that would fit in the glass baking dish (and because they were WAY too hot to eat for a long time after taking them out of the oven, hah), I just started working on the raw brussel sprouts, like any good patient girl… i mean… 0:-)
    …LATER…
    My six roommates arrived home to find me knee-deep in my cruciferous endeavor, hunched over the dining room table, totally immersed in a differently world.

To this day, any time a particular one of those roommates sees me, he makes sure to introduce me to his friends as “the girl who eats nothing but raw brussel sprouts.”

He thinks he’s clever- but I’ve heard him admit to wanting to eat “healthy” a time or two. I’m confident his taste buds will convert one day. 🙂
    I think roasted brussels would pair well with a nice glass of sulfite-free organic Merlot or Cab Sauv for some good probiotics (eh, Donna Gates?).

33. SAR says:

Happy New year!
    I never tried brussel sprouts till about 2 years ago when we started adding steamed veggies to our diet. I wouldn’t say I love them,but they aren’t bad when there’s also steamed beet or carrot with the bite 🙂
    This salad looks good!!Thanks guys

34. The Conqueress! says:

Yesterday was the last day of this year’s Brussel Sprout harvest. A friend is one of the team who hand-machete each stalk in the fields, so the harvesting machine, loaded with a separate team of workers, can pass by to collect the stalks, cut each sprout off the stalks and send them down a conveyor belt past the workers sorting each sprout. Then, the sprouts go up the same conveyor belt and land in a pair of very huge bins hauled alongside by a semi truck. That truck then transports the day’s sprouts to the packing house where they are, again, hand sorted by female workers this time and eventually end up on our tables!
    ___
    Raw fresh sprouts make spectacular “cole slaw” – try it with an asian twist, or with cashews & pineapple! Amazing stuff!
    ___
    If you know how to layer the red hot pepper bean paste between each leaf of Napa cabbage for Korean kimchee, you can do the same for “individual kimchees” with brussel sprouts, too. Labor-intensive, but “worth it” for lunch boxes / fancy presentations 🙂
    ___
    The workers prefer their field-fresh sprouts this way:
    Place sprouts in a pan with water only to half the depth of the sprouts.
    Cover and bring to the boil.
    Let boil 5-10 mins.
    Leave in the covered pan until cool/room temp.
    They have a pan on the dining table daily during the season and just sit down, picking whole sprouts from the pan and dipping them in Best Foods Mayonaise after a spritz of fresh lemon juice.
    Sometimes, they skip the mayo – but not often.
    ___
    When making a vat of vegetable soup, instead of slicing cabbage into the soup, toss in several handsful of sprouts.
    *If you ended up with “monster sprouts”, halve them first, from top to bottom (never cut them “around the waist/equator”, or they’ll fall apart into a mess of individual leaves!).
    ___
    They are also very good slow-braised with anything! Tomato-based braising is especially good with them.
    ___
    There’s no need to blanch them before freezing; many of the workers gift friends & family with “a year’s supply” from the gleenings collected after the machines pass. In over 30 years of knowing this culture, I’ve never heard of anything bad happening from simply tossing them into a container/Ziploc bag & freezing them.
    ___
    Personally, I like laying them out on a cookie sheet, whole, to freeze individually. Then, I bag them up & pour out as many as needed throughout the year.
    ___
    Tomorrow, “my brussel sprout friend” will be here, delivering my year’s supply from within sight of Monterey Bay, California. I’ll be sure to share this video! They’re always happy when the sprouts are positively portrayed in the media!
    🙂
    ___
    If the Kale Whale comes to California, again, let me know & I’ll set up a tour of the largest sprouts fields in USA for you two!
    🙂

35. Brenda says:

Brussels Sprouts, January 1, 2011. A few days ago. Yum!

36. eva says:

TODAY
    Steamed al dente when warm let them soak in some oliveoil garlic parsley salt pepper and lemonjuice…..
    Brusselsprouts forever but if possible organic taste much better …

37. Ingrid says:

Last time I had brussels sprouts was about two moths ago. Watching this video made me want to eat them again very soon! And why haven’t I had quinoa in such a long time? I love it. Thanks for reminding me of the two! Too bad kale is a scarcity in Sweden…

38. Leam says:

Haven’t had them in quite some time. Really enjoy other cruciferous vegetable but some how overlook brussels sprouts. Also agree with Kevin…raw kale and other sturdy greens are so much more pleasant to eat in very fine chiffonade. That salad looks delicious but also looks like your mouth would have quite a workout chewing those big pieces of kale.

39. snowmoonelk says:

The last time I had Brussel’s sprouts was on Christmas day. They are traditionally eaten with Christmas lunch

40. oreganol says:

I had brussel sprouts last week; I love them. I didn’t used to like them, because my Mum tends to cook things to death.

A question for you. Even if I ate 3 times the amount of the meal you showed, and as you said Kevin ate, I would be hungry again within an hour or two. How do you guys get enough calories. The meal you just showed seems very low in calories. I’d need 12 meals like that a day to keep me going. That’s the main problem I find when eating a high percentage raw – I’m just hungry all the time.

41. John says:

I was always afraid of them when I was a kid and don’t think I ever tried them. Of course I wasn’t exposed to a lot of truly fresh vegetables until I was quite a bit older. A friend convinced me to try some fresh brussels sprouts a few years ago and I was very pleasantly surprised. They’re like little cabbages. 🙂 It has been a little while since I’ve had any, I think since the farmer’s market closed. I’m kind of craving them now, thanks. 🙂

42. I’m with oreganol – I am hungry all the time too! And I pay attention to what i am eating, such as enough protein and a balance of raw and cooked foods (been taking your advise for a long time now!) but I seem to always be actually hungry – not just thirsty (Water intake is good) but hungry!

43. Connie says:

Just a couple weeks ago. LOVE them steamed.

Did you know that you can also eat the LEAVES of the brussel sprout plants? This year I had 8 or 9 prolific brussel sprout plants in my garden and we ate them fresh as much as possible, but froze some for winter meals. Since I was trying to preserve everything possible I also dehydrated brussel sprout leaves for winter use. I steamed some fresh leaves, too, and shredded some into coleslaw. Takes getting used to, but, hey, who can afford to waste food?

44. Connie says:

Oh, forgot to add–I don’t like the taste of raw brussel sprouts either. Too strong. They’ve got to be cooked! I think I’ve had them roasted but that just didn’t seem right. Steamed is the best way to go.

Now of course you’re wondering “if you don’t like the sprouts raw how can you eat the leaves raw?” Good question. Maybe I need to rethink this…

45. Torey Taylor says:

Since you started needing Adobe to open your viedo clips I have not been able to see them. Why did you do that? I have been so frustrated not being able to watch those. Is there any way you could trade back to what you were using?

46. I have a small sea vegetable harvesting company in Mendocino California- Ocean Harvest Sea Vegetable Company. You can order “non-toxic” and RAW sea veggies by going to http://www.seaweedmermaid.com
    Available types include,
    nori (raw and unrinsed, retaining minerals)
    silky sea palm (use in place of hiziki)
    sea palm- grown up of the silky sea palm
    wakame
    kombu
    sweet kombu (delicious raw as a chip)
    bull kelp (delicious raw as a chip as well)
    fucus
    dulse
    ocean ribbons (can be used as a raw noodle like a fettucini)

47. Beth says:

Not a big fan of brussel sprouts. Blech. Don’t think I’ve had it since I was very, very young.

48. Betsy says:

We do the same as you-I try to include as many colors as possible-might add pickled beets, cole slaw, kim chi (made with carrots).

49. I had brussel sprouts just before thanksgiving. First time making them and my husbands first time eating them. Did 2 dishes that week and they were yummy!

50. Gordy says:

It has been a while. Never liked them until a few years ago. I wonder if I could grow them here in Wisconsin?

We serve them at the restaurant with an organic Irish Salmon dish, tossed w fingerling potatoes and bacon – go figure!

They are sliced and fresh cooked to order and always catch my eye when I see them being prepared in the kitchen.

They are best just steamed and sprinkled with citrus juice, cummin and a dash of cinnamon!

51. Bees says:

My girlfriend may have an addiction to brussel sprouts. They are made at least monthly …although rarely with as creative a recipe as those above.

52. Louise Lin says:

I had brussel srpouts at Christmas. I was a guest at my friend’s house and her brother made them with toasted almonds and onions that were slightly browned in butter. They were good.

53. Carol says:

Questions: “I omitted this due to toxicity of hijiki”-I thought all seaweeds had natural self-de-toxing capabilities. Please explain more about toxicity of seaweeds. I know Fredrick says this but I remember him being disproved by someone and can’t remember who.

Maybe I missed this show, but can you explain more about raw crustiferous veggies affecting low thyroid in a bad way. I never heard this before.

Happy New Year, Guys!

54. Thomas says:

I like Brussels sprouts too. They are like tiny cabbages. Definitely better steamed, unless you just picked them.

Information on goitrogens (they affect the thyroid) and their presence in cruciferous vegetables and other foods can be found at:

55. Thomas says:

More info on goitrogens and the thyroid can be found at:

56. Kevin! Brussels sprouts are GREAT raw! Here’s one of my recipes for you to try. (Get Annmarie to make it though. ; )

Brussels Slaw

3 c. Brussels sprouts, julienned
    1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 large carrot, grated
    1/3 c. dried cranberries
    1/4 c. raw unsalted sunflower seeds (soaked)
    1-3 T. apple cider vinegar
    1 T. cold-pressed virgin olive oil
    salt and pepper, to taste

Throw everything into a big bowl. Toss and serve immediately. Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 days. Always stir before serving.

Let me know what you think!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

57. Lena says:

Thinnly sliced and fry in butter/oil with lots of garlic. It is yummy.
    Have not had brussels in thelast month or so as the season it over.

58. Blair says:

yum! I totally agree with your stance on adding some cooked foods and I have found that I do better with more cooked food added into my diet. The fact that you guys are becoming gurus yourself and are so open minded and at the same time do not accept everything and do research, your own testing and so on, is truly beneficial for everyone! thanks!
    I was unaware kale could be hard on your thyroid and i juice a head a day and have had similar reactions to it…THANKS!!

59. Lisa Matthews says:

I love brussels sprouts !!
    I saute ciopolini onions and garlic in red wine vinegar then put in the quartered brussels sprouts and pistachios until tender.
    It is delicious and no oil !

Your recipes are great !
    All the best for 2011 !

Lisa

60. Dee says:

It’s been awhile. I like brussel sprouts, just tough to digest, so stopped eating them.

61. lisa says:

great show incorporating cooked wholesome foods into a part raw winter… looking forward to more like that.

my son will ONLY eat raw brussel sprouts -hates them cooked.

62. Stephanie says:

We love brussel sprouts and try to have them at least once a month. I have four kids and my oldest daughter (7) LOVES brussel sprouts, she would eat as much as I put in front of her and then ask for more!

63. Karen says:

Christmas Day!

64. Beth says:

Last time when I was a kid. Bad experience for sure. Possible I could try them in the future but no interest anytime soon.

65. Laura says:

Yesterday, love them.

66. Susan says:

Thanks for that recipe. It looks wonderful. The whole meal looks wonderful.

On the thyroid and cruciferous vegetables issue, it would be great if you could speak to the issue of people who are already diagnosed with low thyroid and are treated. I have hashimotos and have been on hormone replacement for over 20 years now so I likely have very little thyroid function to protect at this point either way. What would you say the effect of raw c. veggies would be on my thyroid health? Also, do have opinions about restoring thyroid health after that many years on medication. I am working with some very talented practitioners and a holistic doctor to treat my auto-immune process in a holistic whole body manner, so I like to wonder if I can possibly stop the processes and heal my thryoid. Any thoughts about ashwaghanda in this situation. It increases the efficacy of synthroid (not sure about Armour), and I got myself into a mess with it (long before you guys were mentioning it).

67. roni says:

i feel vindicated that you are both using a little bit of cooked quinoa! I love it, and would miss that of all the grains the most!

Here’s question concerning the crucifers: what about pickling or fermenting or even just soaking in lemon juice – would that still be as hard on the thyroid?

thanks, enjoying what you’re doing!

and i used to eat brussel sprouts sometimes steamed with butter and lemon, or halved and added to stir frys, but rarely see them here in the tropics.

68. Mary says:

You need to remove your High RAW e-book from all raw food websites, since you are no longer a raw food person. Write a a COOK BOOK!!! Not that there’s anything wrong with…you.

69. Tonja says:

I had Brussels sprouts for lunch today! I shredded them thinly with a mandolin, added chopped apples, and dressed with a mustard vinaigrette dressing.

70. I had Brussels Sprouts 2 weeks ago and I have some more in the fridge now.

71. Sherri says:

Personally, I disagree about eating too much Dino Kale…
    I also have low thyroid and adrenals, etc. But I have been eating a Kale salad nearly 3-4 times’s a week (most wks) for over a year and feel so so so much better. I actually crave it. Since I started eating it, I don’t eat as large of a salad now, because my body doesn’t require as much, but I eat it still. I have way more energy. I rarely use it in juice, only as a raw salad.

We are all built different.