Healthy Holiday Egg Nog (Raw Vegan Recipe) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #727

Wednesday Dec 22 | BY |

The holiday season is actually almost over!

I can’t believe it happened so fast. I also can’t believe that this all means Ann and I will be in Florida soon enough. LOL!

In today’s episode, Annmarie remakes egg nog – a holiday favorite – the raw and vegan way.

Your question of the day: Do you like egg nog? Have you ever tried it?

Here’s the raw food recipe!

Raw Vegan Egg Nog

4 cups water almond milk
5-7 dates, pitted
2 small or 1 large avocado
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1-2 vanilla beans or 1 tsp vanilla powder

Blend and serve (and spike!)… LOL! 🙂

1. Brianna says:

yes! and no!

🙂 Thanks for the alternative.

2. I love the flavor of eggnog… but have a hard time drinking it while knowing that there are eggs and cream mixed in.

So… Thank you for posting a raw vegan version of eggnog!

Here is my favorite vegan eggnog-less smoothie:

1/4 cup macadamia nuts, raw
    1 cup chilled cinnamon tea
    8 dates
    1/2 tsp stevia powder
    12 ice cubes
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg – add more if needed
    Blend the first three ingredients until smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend again.

3. Darlene says:

I’ll have to try your recipe. Any other eggnog I’ve had is just too rich tasting, even the light stuff! Thanks guys and have a Happy Holiday!

4. It’s probably been 10 years since I had ‘store’ egg nog.
    Here’s how I like to make mine:
    First I make my almond milk, then add vanilla powder, ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg, a little sea salt, a banana and blend well mmmmmmmmmmm

5. Mary says:

Looks delicious. I do the same thing that Annmarie does … put my hand over the top of the Vitamix.

And Kevin I like your hair!

I love it! And I miss Oreo cookies and Cheetos too! Can’t wait to try this recipes.

Thanks and happy holidays.

6. Frances says:

Egg nog is my holiday downfall!!! I need to try a healthier option, I’m sure. Fortunately, I’ve only gone through one quart so far this season, with another quart sitting in the fridge. Hopefully, I’ll only go through 3 quarts this season, sharing a bit with my hubby.

Thanks for all your wonderful shows!

7. jackie says:

AnnMarie…do you really invent all these recipes yourself? You are amazing! I currently have your Santa’s cookies with the carrots and oatmeal in the dehydrator…can’t wait to see how they turn out. Thank you so much!

8. Oxie says:

Thank you guys for the recipe. I actually never tried eggnog but got to know about it this year as I am in Canada now. So I’m happy you figured a raw option, because I was so curious how it tasted 😀

P.S. I can’t help mentioning that Annmarie is just shining. 🙂

9. Wendi says:

Yes I grew up drinking home made egg nogg made with raw eggs and raw milk. It wasn’t a thick as the store bought stuff but really good. Never made raw vegan but this I have to try.

10. Jean says:

Hi Guys — always great to see you both! Yes, I’ve had eggnog many times, the best being homemade, not overly sweet or too thick, spiked or unspiked, good ingredients and a light hand are key. Your alternative looks interesting but honestly, I missed watching you taste it! If it tastes really good, consider naming it “Annmarie’s Yummy Uneggnog #1.” Annmarie, if you make up another uneggnog recipie, name it #2 and so on. There are so many possible combinations, maybe one with coconut milk??? Have a great holiday!

11. Anne says:

I never liked eggnog because mostly I never liked dairy so I’ll probably not even try this recipe but it was interesting to see what you would substitute with. I thought about it and wondered if you could have used Irish Moss to thicken it to make it a bit less rich.

The junk food I miss the most…let’s see “Tim Tams” for people who have been to Australia.

Thanks for the show. Have a great Xmas
    Anne

12. Corrinne says:

Loved the show! I grew up with eggnog with the raw eggs and milk…very rich.
    Haven’t had any in many years but will definitely try this one. Happy Holidays

13. Coleen says:

I LOVE eggnog. When I went vegetarian, I drank Silknog, but can’t wait to try this recipe since I went RAW.

Thanks.

14. Ryan says:

Hi guys,

I have a burning question, maybe you can help me answer-
    I’m a 23 year old male, and I started to have these”hot flashes”/ itch attacks that occur whenever I take a hot shower, or within 10 minutes into a workout. Have you heard of something like this before? It’s as if my body is overheating. I love to work out and this has been affecting my life all around. Please help.

Happy Holidays!

15. Rhonda says:

Love the non eggnog recipe. I really do crave it this time of year but I rarely give in to it as it is so full of junk. Thank you for sharing this recipe as I will enjoy it throughout the year.

Have a wonderful Christmas celebration and get on down to Florida. I look forward to hearing about all the coconut collecting (you gathered quite a few if I remember last year).

16. Lori Shecter says:

Thanks guys,
    I love avocado’s so I’d like to try this. It could be a meal. I never liked eggnog, way to rich and sweet.
    When and where will you be in Florida?
    Enjoy the holidays:-)

17. Sharon says:

I used to like it homemade with raw eggs but I never liked the store-bought stuff. I totally lost my taste for it but your recipe sure does like a good alternative!

18. Jayme says:

Thanks for the recipe!! I hated eggnog even before I was vegan. Just way too thick and it tasted disgusting. Yuck!

This recipe looks amazing. 😀

Happy holidays Kevin and Annmarie!

19. JOHN says:

This looks like an interesting Egg Nog recipe and I will try it as soon as possible.I will try to thicken it with some Irish Moss. I have had dairy Egg Nog but found as I got older it was too rich and too sweat for a type 2 diabetic. Three months ago I decided to try a plant based lifestyle (Vegan) and then your website. I am going to try to transition in the New Year to a Raw lifestyle. It will be a challenge living in the Rocky Mountains of Canada in the VERY COLD winter. I will be jealous thinking of you in Florida. Have a wonderful Holiday Season with your loved ones. The best of Heath & Happiness for the New Year.

20. Yes, my friend Karen Osborne came up with a recipe. She and Dr. Ritamarie and I have been teaching a monthly raw foods prep class in the Austin area since September. (www.RawDietAustin.com) Her recipes are great! I served it at Thanksgiving after our Holiday Feast class in November, and my family loved it.

21. Satori says:

Never in my life tried eggnog. I always thought they sound nasty lol.

22. Lana says:

I loved egg nog but always felt sick after 1/2 a glass. Liked Soy nog but I don’t tolerate soy. Now I am thinking of trying your ideas and maybe tweaking with it a bit. Thanks for the ideas. BTW, why didn’t you show yourselves trying it? That did make me a little nervous, LOL!

23. josephinesped says:

Ryan, see if your body/ blood-stream is too acidic.

I like eggnog. I also have made it with raw milk, raw eggs, raw honey, and raw cream. I like cutting the finished eggnog with about 1/3-part flavored seltzer water.

As I get older, nutmeg bothers me. I have used allspice.

24. Chris G says:

I have tried egg nog and used to enjoy it a lot. Haven’t had it in several years now though.

25. Andria says:

Thanks you two!!! That’s so exciting! Can’t wait to try it! I was just saying that we should be bad and get some egg nog when we were at the store. However, we were good and didn’t cave. We will, for certain try this alternative!

Great hair cut Kevin!

Happy Holidays!!!! ENJOY!!!!

26. Marcla Green says:

Egg nog was my weakness!!! I used to drink over a gallon over the holidays….I miss it sooooooooo much… will be trying this recipe!!!!!!
    Can’t wait for your Florida visit!!!!! Warning we are all brown and yellow from no rain and the early cold here….(Central Florida)

27. Steve says:

Even in the days when I ate eggs I didn’t try egg nog. It just sounds too gross. LOL.

28. Rachel says:

Ohhhh eggnog. It’s unfortunate that the name isn’t too appetizing, but a really good eggnog is addicting, I’ve found. It’s been a favorite beverage ever since I can remember, and when I lived in California I used to buy really delicious eggnog at the health food stores. I’ve made my own many time, too, both dairy and non-dairy over the years. I can’t wait to try AnnMarie’s recipe, as soon as I get more avocados. We live in the Middle East and avocados are in now, so I plan to make this in the next couple of days. Thanks for featuring such a delicious sounding, and healthy, recipe. Enjoy the holiday!
    Rachel

29. season says:

That looks delicious. Did you try it? Is it good? Please share the flavor factor so we know if it’s a good investment in the ingredients!

Also, a name for it: Renegade Nog!

Thanks lovelies!

30. Jan says:

This looks yummy. Happy Holidays to you both. I grew up with my dad blending a dozen eggs and whipped cream and powered sugar and then adding a quart of Jim Beam very slowly drizzeled into the mixture. It seems to have been a lifetime since I have had eggnog without the eggs and nog. 🙂 I’m looking a blender and was wondering what your take on Blendtec vs. VitaMix is? Thank you. Love and Gratitude, Jan.

31. Leam says:

Haven’t had it in years but as I remember I liked the taste of it. Why do you guys not sample what you have made and tell what it tastes like? I’m sorry, but I’m never motivated to try any of these recipes because you don’t seem to eager to try your own recipes. Just a thought.

32. em says:

I love eggnog!!

I really miss the taste so this is great!!

33. Cindy says:

I love eggnog, but I only indulge a little over the holidays because of its unhealthy ingredients. I’ve made my own version in the Vitamix with raw eggs that tastes pretty good. You’re right Annmarie about the nutmeg being the key ingredient. That’s what makes it taste like eggnog. Happy Holidays!

34. Dee says:

Have not had it in years, but loved it. Although, have had some varieties that were not good. As to nutmeg use, I use it year round, love it.

35. Tyra McMahon says:

So how did it taste?

36. Beth says:

I used to love egg nog, but haven’t had the real stuff in almost 10 years.
    I made a vegan egg nog last year ago (found the recipe here: http://www.elanaspantry.com/vegan-eggnog/) and it was pretty good.
    Might try yours this year.

37. Isabelle says:

OH MY GOD… I tribled the recipe but my Vitamix could not swallow 3 liters of almond milk… So I only put 2, tasted and it was so good that I decided to “forgot” to add the other liter… I also replace half the nutmeg by cloves… It it SO delicious!

Thank you so much for sharing, not only this recipe, but all the others too, and your knowledge, researches…

For the New Year that’s commin’ : Peace, Love and Happiness within you and around you…

38. Wendy says:

I don’t like eggnog. I might like your recipe though.

39. RawGuru says:

I’ve never had traditional eggnog with alcohol, but have definitely had the dairy version non alcoholic. I’ve loved every raw vegan egg nog that i’ve made, but i’ve yet to use avocado. That’s such a great idea for the thickness factor but also avo tends to lend a kind of eggy flavor. Thanks for the recipe!

40. Brenda says:

That drink looks yummy. It is not egg nog though. Need an EGG to be egg nog.

41. shawn stevens says:

This is a bit off subject. Kevin I hope you read you comments because I would Like your insight. I have a puzzling question I would really like to know the difference between juicing and just throwing everything into a vitamix and blending. Juicing machines seen to cost a lot but you can only do one thing with it, juice. Would it not make more sense to get a vitamix which can do so much more? And if so would… the nutrients be able to enter your bloodstreem as quickly or in the same way. Please if anyone can shed some light on this subject let me know. And to all good health.

42. In response to #14 Ryan,
    Sounds like an allergic response to a something you are putting on your skin such as soap or cream. It could also be a laundry detergent. Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!

43. don says:

where is the video?

44. Melissa says:

Thanks! This just might be the best “Egg Nog” ever. I made this for a Christmas Eve party & everyone liked it so much that I made a double batch for Christmas night – it went fast!

45. steff says:

you can’t call this eggnog…its a nutty date smoothie

46. Ev says:

I loved eggnog, but I am now a raw vegan so I would prefer not to drink the traditional drink. I am very interested in this smoothie recipe that hopefully will satisfy my memory of the traditional eggnog. Maybe you could call it the Eggless Nog. Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

47. Susie says:

I have made my own version with raw eggs (fresh from the farm- the healthy kind from chickens pecking about in the dirt and in the sunshine of course) and I think that was probably better for me than the macadamia nuts and avocado- a bit simpler for my body. Each to his/her own, right? 😉 (I did not use milk or cream, so the consistency was thinner, but it was still nourishing and yummy.)

48. Donna says:

Yes I love eggnog! This sounds so good. Thank you for the recipe. It sure looks yummy!

49. I am catching up on my Renegade Health videos that I missed over the holidays. I love eggnog, but haven’t indulged in it for a long time.

I am going to try making a version similar to yours, but can’t see putting in all that extra fat (avocados and macadamia nuts) so I’m going to omit them and trying using Irish Moss as a thickening agent.

50. never ever had eggnogg, from norway so its not a “thing” here at all!
    but i might give this a try one day, if it tastes like cinnamon ill like it for sure 🙂