Raw Food Recipe for Pico de Gallo : The Renegade Health Show Episode #718

Thursday Dec 9 | BY |

Yes, we just came back from Mexico…

Yes, we’re still craving fresh veggies and fresh tropical fruits.

Today, we have a great, easy recipe for you to help get your Mexicano on.

You also get to see me in a suit.

Yep.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: Have you ever been to Mexico?

Here is the raw food recipe:

Pico de Gallo

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

Mix all ingredients together in medium bowl.

1. CINDY says:

dr john gary great lecture on how to heal your adrenal’s and ect
    check it out here just stroll down to his name

cindy

2. I live in Mexico, I grew up in La Huasteca Potosina, amazing region full of trees, water, fresh fruits, love my country.

3. roni says:

Chaya is commonly called “tree spinach” its a member of the euphorbium family. According to the locals, (and Wiki) it’s not supposed to be eaten raw – supposedly something toxic in the raw leaves. I first ate it in the Yucatan, where an indigenous woman served them to us, sauteed in oil with garlic, and wrapped into soft warm homemade tortillas, all cooked over an open fire. There is a plant very much like it here in Costa Rica locally called chicaskil, which I have on my farm.

wow, Kevin cleans up nice! 😉

4. Dirk Kukler says:

I am in Puerto Vallarta right now, overwintering. You should try Mexican Ceviche,
    it’s raw…..but with marinated fish. Super….

5. Daureen says:

Yes, I’ve been to Mexico twice. Once to the Yucatan Peninsula, with a day trip to Cozumel. The other time was a stop at Cozumel on a cruise. Food was fabulous!

6. Sarah Cleaver says:

I’ve never been to Mexico, but I just wanted to say you both looked fantastic!! :o)

7. Angel Ward says:

Just across the border, lol… I used to live in West Texas… we used to go fishing @ lake falcon and cross at Laredo to Nuevo Laredo, loved all the cute bargaining shops, can’t believe those 25 cent carved donkeys go for like 5 bucks here… That lake where that guy was recently murdered, from crossing the border, my dad used to take me fishing over the border and warn me “be quiet if they find us we are in deep ****”

8. Rob says:

I hike and camp the Sierra Madre Del Sur throughout Guerrero and Oaxaca a couple times a year-absolutely breath-taking.

9. Elena says:

Yes, I have been to Mexico a few times and hope to go again in 2011. YOu guys do look great!
    WOuld you be able to tell me the name or location of the organic produce grocer near Playa Del Carmen? And can you recommend any fresh food restaurants in that area? I would really appreciate it if you could. Thanks!

10. Charlotte says:

It’s nice to see you guys again! Annmarie looked beautiful in the pic! That was a really pretty dress! So, maybe you could do a question and anwser show soon?? Those are my favorites shows!
    By the way, Mark looks a little shy, no? It’s always funny to me to see how different siblings are, personality wise. My sister and I are polar opposites!

11. Peg says:

I have been through Tijuana and spent a little time in Cozumel.

You both look very nice all dressed up!

A late happy birthday Kevin!

12. Betoman says:

I grew up in El Paso, so I’ve been to Juarez, but not lately, Manzanillo, Jalisco and Nuevo Laredo. Manzanillo is a great place to go exploring the hills (with a guide). I love the Mexican culture. A hispanic friend of mine said that even though I qualify as a gringo, I’m brown on the inside. If you are from these parts, that is hilarious!

I like the recipe. I never thought to put lemon in the pico, but it makes sense. It balances the flavors better in some dishes.

I haven’t tuned in to you all for a while and glad I did. It lightened my day. Thanks for keepin’ on keepin’ on!

13. Igal says:

Hi.
    I’m new to raw food eating and I’ve noticed that Annmarie rarely (never?) uses black pepper in her recipes. I happen to love black pepper. Is there a health concern with it?

Keep up the great work!

14. Satori says:

Is Dave Kevin’s dad?
    Did Annmarie get bangs or she had them before too?
    Is it really Jonny5 that is meowing in the ending?

You guys look great in the picture!
    I’ve never been to Mexico, but I have a lot of Mexican friends in LA!!!

15. Never been to Mexico…but I am certainly going to make this. Might use some red onion and lime though. I make another raw salsa in the blender that I make pretty much every week! Just need to make some raw crackers to accompany it rather than the unhealthy tortilla chips I’ve been using…I need to do your flax crackers! Still working up the nerve to just do it.

16. Cheryl Holt says:

What a fantastic picture of you two VERY NICE!
    Great recipe and show!
    I have not been to Mexico for many years. My husband and I went about every weekend down to Rocky Point to Wind Surf & Scuba dive. The town so I have heard has changed a great deal.

The boarder towns use to be fun but not so anymore here in AZ there is turmoil with the drug runners at present so not so safe.

We went to a Wind Surfing Fishing Resort outside of La Paz that was call Las Arenas and it was absolutely peaceful & beautiful. We had great fun Board Sailing while we were there and snorkeling. At night the resort had a great band and wonderful drinks. The rooms were just beautiful with large open tiled showers and baths fit for royalty. La Paz is great fun as well. Federales were a bit young with fully automatic weapons that was a bit intimidating.

Love, Light & Peace,
    Cheryl
    I loved Mexico I found it to be beautiful as well as the people I met. : )

17. Mary Artemis says:

Before CT I was a California girl so have been to Mexico. Pico de Gallo is my favorite. Could LIVE on the stuff!!

Mary from Stamford CT

18. christina garabedian says:

Really enjoyed Mexico, twice! Kev, now that you and Ann Marie are back in CT will you be doing any get-togethers, lectures, etc? I checked your calendar but it was blank! 🙂 Would love to meet you two in person!

19. Kathy says:

Hi Kevin, we do not get Kev’s Super-Delicious Smoothie Powder in SA so what can i use in place of this product?

20. Vitamin B12 says:

I was just about to prepare something for dinner but have decided to have this instead. Great recipe. You two have great looking skin. Do you do anything in particular for your skin or is it just a side-effect of healthy living?

21. TW says:

Stayed at a little gem called Rancho Encantado tucked away on Laguna Bacalar on the Yucatan Peninsula. Small place with casitas right on the lake. We happened to be at the right place at the right time and were invited to join two other guests (anthropologists from UNCLA) for a research tour of some Mayan ruins that were not open to the public. National Geographic had just been there to do a story and I wasn’t allowed to take pictures. There were little piles of pottery that still had red paint on them that were being documented. There were pyramids being excavated and we went inside to see a huge Olec mask underneath a tarp. It was all just so amazing! A wonderful trip to a wonderful place. Well take a trip down memory lane with the Pico de Gallo. Thanks.

22. Jan says:

Great pics of the two of you. I loved the fun of this video. Recipe is going to be made today. Would you please mention how to dry saute the pico de gallo? Thank you. Been to Cozumel on numerous dive trips and across to the ruins. People are friendly and the relaxing pace works wonders. Love and Gratitude.

23. I was in Tijuana when I was 4. Don’t remember much of it, though.

24. angie leigh says:

Ann Marie you look absolutely radiant in this video!

No I have never been to Mexico, maybe one day.

25. Lorien says:

You guys looked awesome and I am not a suit fan. I grew up in Southern Cal right next to Mexico. I used to go to Tecate and shop. I love Mexico. You two are the best I hope you know. Love your shows, love your smiles, love AnnMarie’s beautiful brown eyes and Johnney 5’s meow. Can’t wait until I get to meet you, I feel like we’re old friends.

26. You look so handsome in that suit! I personally prefer the shaved Kevin, but thats just me. =-)

27. jackie says:

I’ve been to Mexico. And Kevin, you look great in the picture!!!

28. Chris G says:

Unfortunately, I have not been to Mexico…:o(

29. Pam says:

I was in Mexico in 1957 – 53 years ago! Oh, My!! I don’t care for Pico de Gallo – Cilantro doesn’t agree with me – maybe I could try it with Parsley – but please, no hot spicy things!

Honestly? I mainly watched todays show because I wanted to see you in a suit! Originally, when you said we would see you in a suit, I thought – a ‘bathing suit’ or a ‘dressup suit’ – LOL! Well, I was not disappointed – you look great in a suit, Kevin! And Anne Marie, you are just lovely, as usual! Merry Christmas Blessings to you all!

30. LYN EVANS says:

Just got back from Mazatlan where I lived on Guacamole and salads. Thanks for the recipe, very nice. And btw, you look great in your suit.

31. Jennie_Raw says:

i. love. salsa. dot. com.
    My friends look at me like I’m from Mars when I sit down with a bowl of it and a spoon- and no chips. Made me happy to hear Annmarie mention eating it unaccompanied and uncluttered. 🙂
    And Congratulations on the wedding!!
    I want to study whales on the west coast of the Baja Peninsula. Have yet to set foot in Mexico, though.