Raw Food Recipe for Buffalo Wing Sauce : The Renegade Health Show #683

Thursday Oct 21 | BY |

We’re in Buffalo, so obviously, it was worth a shot to try to make a raw food recipe for hot wing sauce…

Of course, we have no chicken wings to add it to, but maybe you can help us figure out what we can put it on!

Your question of the day: What can we put this on?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce

1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes or you can do half tomatoes and half sundried tomatoes…
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup almond flour
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 habanero peppers
1 medium chili pepper of your choice
1 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sweetener of your choice (I would suggest a date)
dash of ground pepper
dash of cayenne pepper

*** Ann took out the coconut oil and coconut sugar, just didn’t cut it 🙂

Marinate eggplant, portabella mushrooms strips, or dehydrated cauliflower – are some ideas you can serve this with!

PS. I’m not crazy about this recipe. It’s missing something or a few things. Ann did her best with what we have here, but I think it can be better. I don’t know if it’s possible to recreate wing sauce without cooking it. Let me know your thoughts!

1. Jenni Smith says:

There is a good recipe for a Buffalo Veggie Platter in RawDawg Rory’s cookbook. I only eat raw food a little bit, so I’m no expert, but I took it to a raw food potluck and people liked it! (It does have agave in it, if that’s a dealbreaker).

2. Blair says:

celery! or jicama or some tempeh, yum!

3. Carole says:

Crushed pine nuts.

Marinate raisins or salutanas in the sauce

Finely chopped pineapple

Little chopped parsely (or green stuff 🙂

4. Karen says:

You little pioneers!

5. Connie says:

I would think that would be good on zucchini “pasta” or as a dip for crackers. Maybe munch on nuts while eating it?

But as far as fake “chicken wings” goes…hmmm…in a restaurant up here in the north they serve carrots and celery sticks with wings, so try that.

6. I am not sure what it may need but I will be in the kitchen this evening playing with this one to find out… Sounds like a great project. 🙂

7. Rikki M says:

you can use the wing sauce as dip for raw eggplant chips , slice eggplant real thin dehydrated it so it gets crunchy if u eat honey then just brush the chips with it andput some sunflower seeds roughly grounded on it before u dehydrate it

8. bryan says:

USE THE SEEDS!!! If you remove the seeds you remove the heat, the pepper itself has no heat. We thought cauliflower first, then thought about mixing it w/ avocado or some other fat, like a pate or dip, the fat absorbs some of the heat intensity. Sounds really good though.

9. nick says:

corn or flax chips

10. Wendy says:

Hmmm, maybe adding some mustard and a little bit of wheat-free tamari would help (although the tamari isn’t raw). Also, what about using apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar? A pinch of cinnamon may not hurt, either. Just some ideas based on a really good Worcestershire sauce recipe I have. To give it the buttery taste, a combination of coconut oil (not butter) and lemon juice could work.

When I stopped eating meat but my husband hadn’t yet, he would order buffalo wings and I liked dipping the celery into the sauce.

Hope you perfect this, ’cause I’ve been dying for someone to come up with a good raw wings sauce recipe (I just don’t have the patience).

PS: I love Johnny-5!!!

11. raw dehydrated chick-un patties made with cashews, carrots, celery, cauliflower, sprouted lentils, corn, onion, green pepper, mayonnaise, almond butter, Herbamare, dulse, nutritional yeast, and olive oil. Taste like soy chicken.

12. Kelly says:

I think I remember you saying you ate potatoes. That is what we love wing sauce on!!

13. roni says:

i would try this on dried platano or sweet potato chips.

14. db : ) says:

I could see this sauce on baked potatoe wedges to complement a raw salad of your favorite vegetables.

15. Angie Smith says:

I would put it on (free-range) chicken wings and cook it. 😉 I’d probably use apple cider vinegar instead of the distilled white stuff, though. Also, if you dehydrate the tomatoes partway and then blend them up, you get a much better sauce than if you use fresh or fresh plus dried. Habaneros are plenty hot for me without their seeds. Too much sweetener makes my raw sauces a bit strange, but mustard helps a lot (either prepared spicy mustard or just dry mustard powder).

16. Gordy says:

I am going to try this one with my grandiose harvest of eggplant this year! I have too much!

I usually slice medium to thin and marinate, or lately, grill them over charcoal or oak (not-so-raw, eh!) and season with different herbs and spices. I serve them up to compliment a salad or a ‘cookout’ as we say in Wisconsin, of various organic foods. Turmeric, is a favorite with a squeeze of fresh lime, then add the Buffalo sauce…

Thanks for the recipe, Ann & Kev!

17. This looks good! I’d put this sauce in a veggie wrap with a collard leaf or other green leaf as the wrap. Annmarie, I wonder if coconut -butter- would add a better flavour than the coconut -oil-…? (I’m thinking of that Artisana stuff.)

Num!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

18. marijana says:

my hubby is just crazy about habanero so this recipe is great push for me to make something for him.

so, i cam up with my version (have in mind that i’m from croatia and i never tasted original hot buffalo sauce)

1 cup of dried tomato
    1/2 cup of diced red onion
    1 T shoyu sauce
    1 whole big habanero pepper
    1 T olive oil
    2 T raisins
    1 clove of garlic
    little bit of lemon juice
    little bit of black pepper
    water if needed

blend everything up. dried tomatoes and raisins will make paste nice and thick. i ate it with sliced peppers

19. Carole says:

Forgot to add… (my previous comment felt there was something missing from the sauce)

So for main bit:

stuffed vine leaves or stuffed tomatoes would be good

Mash some pulses with a few nuts and fry/bake (like fish cakes) use sauce or bake in tray in oven.

20. Leam says:

Hot wings sauce has hot pepper sauce as its base which is made from a pepper, such as cayenne, that has been fermented with salt. I think the tomato is out of place. Avocado would probably taste better as a butter substitute rather than coconut oil but then you might as well just make guacamole.

21. john says:

Excellent show in the Cabin-Ha . Looks like a great spread to put on baked potatoes ,crakers,vegtable dips ,spread on breads instead of butter, salad dressing,maybe on a vegi-pizza ?

22. Christopher says:

wow, the cat at the end was awesome!

23. Beth says:

Great recipe for the conditions, with excellent suggestions from the viewers on what to put it on.

Liked Johnny5’s appearance at the end.

24. If the Vegan world is so dead set against the consumption of animal foods – why bother creating sauces that go with animal foods??

Create sauces for a Vegan diet and please stop trying to replace or substitute animal foods with plant foods – it is just not possible.

What may be possible – is that you accept that you are retraining your body to live without these types of foods.

25. Sophia says:

Johnny5 is so cute!

26. Isabel says:

Pasta? Ha ha,just kidding… I visite dBuffalo last year (all the way from Greece!)and I loved those chicken wings. I still have a bottle of chicken wing sauce that I purchased there. It’s almost up now, so I may try your recipe!

27. Mar Raw says:

Please folks, not the seeds of the habanero is the hottest part, this little white strips on the inside is much more spicier or hotter.

I put the sauce on some formerly made cauliflower-popcorn.

28. GG Allin says:

Great experiment. Ive tried but dont think it will ever become possible. One the things I miss is hot sauce. I guess the previous poster is right. You need to learn to accept that some foods cannot be replicated.

One big suggestion for Kevin is let Ann Marie talk! You always interrupt her or repeat what she says and it makes viewing your videos very uncomfortable. Also this video could of easily edited down to half the time without the inconsequential chatter. We appreciate the work you do but 9 minute videos get tedious if there isn’t a lot of substance. We know you are very enthusiastic and passionate, but take sometimes you need to tune it down a notch and let others do the talking….

29. Bonnie says:

I have made the Country Barbecue from Jackie and Gideon Graff and it was FANTASTIC!!: http://www.sproutrawfood.org/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=avnp81ej2tcgcd30lhr8k876i2

I think the BBQ sauce there would be fabulous for “buffalo wings” and probably all you’d need to do would be to change the “ribs” into a drumstick shape and it would be good to go.

I think it helps that they are in Georgia, so they really know what a BBQ sauce should be.

30. Jan says:

Maybe it would be good on Black beans and rice if you eat cooked foods.

31. lisa says:

I have the perfect idea!!!

Schmear it or dollop it on Pure Jeevan’s sweet potato pancakes. It tones down and balances out the sweetness so nicely.

32. Cheryl says:

This is the bomb! I tossed cauliflower in cheez sauce that I made with red bell pepper, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, sea salt and cashews. Then I dehydrated it until it was super crispy. (Totally looks like well done wings). Tossed it in the wing sauce and then dipped it in raw ranch. Omg! Just like college wings!!!