Raw Food Recipe for Hot Apple Cider (Actually Chai-der) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #677

Wednesday Oct 13 | BY |

We’ve been seeing apple CHAI-der all around the north…

We saw it first in Michigan and now in Buffalo.

Chai-der is basically apple cider with chai spices.

As you may be able to imagine, it is 100% awesome.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite apple?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Hot Apple Chai-der

For the Chai Tea:

2 cup water
1 tbsp cardamom
1 tbsp Kev’s Cinnamon powder or 1/2 cup cinnamon bark
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper corn
Pinch of Vanilla Powder – which I forgot to show

Bring all to a boil then let simmer for 30 min, the longer the better!

For the Cider

Juice 2 big apples and add to the Chai tea blend.

(If you don’t have a juicer, like we don’t have one in the RV… blend 2 big apples with the 2 cups of chai tea, then strain through a nut milk bag!)

Serve with cinnamon sprinkled on top 🙂

The easiest way of all is to just juice the apples, then boil the juice with the spices. But we wanted to preserve as many of the nutrients in the apple as possible!

1. Brianne says:

LOVE it! This looks so yummy. =]

2. Sophia says:

I can’t wait to make it! Thanks for sharing!!! 🙂

3. Blair says:

usually it’s a fiji, but whatever is local is always the best. I don’t usually like granny smith, but we have local ones right now and they turned into my favorite after one bite.

4. Karen says:

My favorite is the cheapest organic apples at “Whole Paycheck.” I wish I could have smelled your chai-der!

5. db : ) says:

I like the red delicious, because I am thinking it may be closer to an Heirloom variety? So my favorite apple…hum is non-GMO Heirloom. So I wonder at this moment which apples are Heirloom? Am I close on choosing red delicious?

6. Angelique says:

McIntosh or Pink Lady

7. Linda Miller says:

Pink Lady is my favorite too. I like any crisp tart/sweet apple

8. Geri says:

As soon as Kevin asked the days question, I knew it was pink lady!!! mmmm

9. Kate says:

I’m with Anne Marie on the Pink Lady’s. LOVE THEM!!!

10. Karen says:

I agree with Annmarie – Pink Ladies!

11. Sally R. says:

My favorite apple is honey crisp. This looks like an awesome recipe and I’ve been in the mood for apple cider and chai tea so its definitely a great combination. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

12. casey says:

sour apples from my parents yard!

13. Marqueta says:

Mmm, that looks delicious! We love any kind of apple that we can get our hands on, as long as it’s local and unsprayed! We quarter them, freeze them, then run them through our Green Star juicer and call it sorbet! 🙂

14. Barbara W says:

Honeycrisp!

15. Gretchyn says:

Ooohh…i jinxed ann marie when she said pink lady! these are my favorite too, there’s a great apple farmer at my local market who always has a ton of pink ladies! Thanks for a great recipe…gotta try it i’ve been craving hot cider!

16. Eric says:

Honeycrisps are a solid first place for me, Pink Lady’s are second. Both delicious!

17. December says:

I like granny smiths tho I’m not a huge apple fan…i prefer something tart and crunch and seem always to get soft meely ones for some reason…

18. RJ says:

Can’t wait to light the fireplace and make this drink using Sweet Sixteen Apples! Thanks!

19. Gretchyn says:

oh i forgot the wine sap! they’re so rare, i forgot how delicious! anyone else tried them? so good!

20. marijana says:

my favorite are old local sorts of apples. they do not need to be sprayed with anything and they have richer taste (not to mention nutrients). this time of year, i like apples called “bobovac“ because they give nice sweet/tart juice and hurom can manage them well and give me lots of juice 🙂

for drying, i love those sweet so i cut them into chunks and make the prefect chewy snack.

for fresh snack – i just love that one in the fruit bowl on the table 😉

21. josanne says:

My favorite is the aurora apple! Cheers

22. kt mm says:

I haven’t met an apple I didn’t like. As for the red delicious comment, Kev, I think that they are so commercially grown that it took the flavor out of them. They used to be really good, not so much anymore. At least there is a variety out there, and try them all! 🙂

23. Leslie says:

This looks so good! I’m fairly new in my raw journey, and I literally was just thinking about about what I could do for a nice mug of something warm. I’m definitely going to have to give this a try.

Oh, and my all time favorite apple are the pink ladies. They’re so crisp and sweet.

24. MB says:

Red Delicious are my fav! I think the darker the color of skin, the more antioxidants… not sure if that is true.. but what is for sure is the bigger and crisper, the more yumilicious!

25. Miranda says:

Pink Lady apples, all the way! I really need to buy myself a nut bag (cheaper than a juicer if you already own a blender!)

How long have you been in that RV for now? Every time I watch you are in the RV. Missing home at all?

Thanks for the yummy recipe.

26. jackie says:

I’m with AnnMarie….pink ladys!

27. a says:

a 27 inch iMac?

…or Ambrosia, Idon’t see them often but they are good.

28. john says:

Excellent program Kevin and Ann Marie. I like granny apples . I believe that is what they use at Gerson Therapy with carrots.

29. Anne says:

My absolute favorite apple is the Fuji which is very popular in Australia/NZ but I’m currently in Canada where Apples are a major culture and Fujis are not from here. You’ll find organic Fujis from NZ or Chile.

I know, buying local is best but there is just no comparison with other varieties and I’d rather not eat apples than eat anything else than Fujis

Anne

30. Manwel says:

Fuji, the best apples! Crispy and sweet.

31. Irina says:

My favorite is Northern Spy. If I’m lucky, I’ll be getting a whole bushel of organic MI grown Northern Spy on Saturday! My second choice is Empire or Braeburn. Better yet, any wild-grown unsprayed apple, or an heirloom variety.

32. paul says:

Wow, I could almost taste that Chai-der. Looks delicious. For me, fresh organic Fuji’s are the best for eating raw. Definitely gotta try this one.
    Thanks guys!

33. Kuru says:

Wow, I would never pour steaming water into my Vitamix container. PET plastic emits estrogen, especially with heat. But that Chaider does sound good.

Annmarie, I made your sprouted lentil salad yesterday, and it was delicious. I had mustard seeds to grind fresh; they were definitely the secret ingredient. I kept going back for more all afternoon, as my teeth in particular were singing for it. So clean and fresh tasting.

34. Vitamin B12 says:

My favorite apples are Cox’s.

35. Joe says:

custard apple 🙂

36. Page says:

Honeycrisps for me – just the right mix of sweet and tart.

37. Jan says:

Hard to choose just one, Gala and Pink Lady.

38. Shaina says:

mmm apples : )
    cortland for sweet and soft
    ginger gold for soft sweet and sour
    braeburn for crisp and sweet
    granny smith for tart and firm

Hospital red delicious apples are not a healing food, they are so bland to me, that is not a fruit experience I want to have again.

39. Janet says:

I love gala apples. Sweet but not too sweet. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

40. organic Fuji apples any time and yes we will have some Chai-der.
    fatima

41. Erin-Elyse says:

I agree with Annemarie, Pink ladies are my current favorite. Although, my mom has two granny smith trees and if they are allowed to ripen on the tree, they are sweet and crisp and not tart. They make the best apple chips. I also agree with Kevin, I refer to red “delicious” as red disgusting apples. Maybe I had to eat too many as a kid, like green grapes, and I experienced too many bad ones for them ever to look appealing now.

42. Stephanie says:

Honeycrisp!!!! Yummy recipe- can’t wait to try it! Love you both!

43. Gina says:

Granny Smith

44. Julia says:

Nice recipe. I wanted to try it but didn’t have all the ingredients so I tried something a little different inspired by your yummy looking recipe. I had powdered Tulsi on hand so I made Tulsi tea and added cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, fresh ginger and honey. Then I did what you did with the apples in my vitamix, but I also had a pomegranate so I added a fresh pomegranate as well and blended it all up and strained it. It was heavenly!! So thank you! I make water kefir, too, so I’m wondering if I kefir some apple juice to make it like “real” apple cider and made a cold sparkling cider tea out of it with your recipe how that might taste (I live in Phoenix, AZ where it was 99 F today! I had thoughts of turning it into a sorbet even!).

I have a question. I’ve heard mixed info about apple seeds. One place said to always include the apple seeds when blending because it has some special nutrients in them, while other sources say they have cyanide in minute amount and should avoid apple seeds. Haven’t done more research on it yet but was wondering if you might know more about it? To apple seed or not to apple seed…. 🙂

45. Gordy says:

I love all apples… except red delicious!! They are weird and not always consistent in taste.

Presently, I buy bags of local organic apples through a co-op and I recently bought Honey Crisps and Gala’s as they were on sale. Usually, for breakfast, I peel a few and spread organic valencia unsalted crunchy peanut butter on them to get my day started!! Love this meal!!

I would have to say, Golden Delicious are my favorites!

46. Marcia says:

I’ve loved apples since I was a kid and it does not matter what kind!! I like ’em all, except for, maybe, Granny Smiths which I now find to be too sour for my tongue. We used to make hot apple cider by sticking cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into an orange and letting it float in the apple cider while we heated it. The flavor is really unique and special. As a child I thought the orange looked like “sputnik” the Russian satellite. You cannot eat the orange because it tastes really bad after being heated in this manner. But it keeps the spices from having to be filtered out and adds a unique orangeness to the flavor. It works well for a large batch. If using your new recipe I would put the orange in the tea and then add the apples. I wonder if you could blend the apples with a little cold water to extract the juice and then add it to the tea — that way you would not have to strain hot tea with your fingers. Just a thought. Love you much, Marcia

47. KAREN BEATTIE says:

FUJI APPLES ARE CRISP BUT GALA ARE GOOD ALSO! I PICKED AND PACKED APPLES IN NEW ZEALAND YEARS AGO! GET THE JACK LA LANNE’S JUICER BUT WARM APPLE CIDER NOT OVER HEATING SOUNDS GOOD. THERE ARE GOOD LOCAL APPLES IN JULIAN, CALIFORNIA! THE TOWN IS A GOOD PLACE TO VISIT IF YOU ARE NEAR BY!ENJOY!

48. Jen says:

I just made this apple chai-der today… I think it would have been fabulous except the black peppercorns made it so spicy I couldn’t drink it. So, might have to dump it and start over sans the pepper (or just a dash). Or I could just keep adding more apples.. not sure yet 🙂

49. sunnie says:

It’s a toss up between the sugar apple and the custard apple!

50. Dee says:

I go through apple phases, Granny Smith, then Braeburn, moved on to Pink Lady. Right now – Honeycrisp.

51. Honeycrisp are my absolute favorite! 🙂 I’ve never heard of (or tried) Pink Lady apples, but now I’m curious to see what they taste like.

52. Stephen says:

Absoluitely include the apple seeds as they contain the great vitamin B17 which is a targeted cancer killer-greatest dose is in raw(not heat treated) apricot seeds.The bitter taste is the natural cyanide which your body can deal with but cancer cannot.

53. Gwen says:

My favorite apple is a small yellow apple that is quit sweet and great in a green smooth is but I do not know the name of it. This year is the first time I tired them and now it has been several weeks since they have been available. My other favorites are Gala and Fuji apples.

54. Cynthia says:

I had matsu apples a few years ago. They were huge and tasty.

55. snowmoonelk says:

Pink Lady

56. Nanette says:

Gala,Pink Lady,Jazz,Red delicious, Elster, Braeburn, Pivot

I vary a lot….we have a great choice here. Many come in on market days from around the area.
    On the markets they cut some up so tasting the different kinds is real fun.

57. Melissa says:

I love Pink Lady apples!

58. Pam says:

Can you use organic apple cider instead of doing the apples?