Raw Food Recipe for Healthy Chopped Lentil and Mustard Salad : The Renegade Health Show Episode #657

Wednesday Sep 15 | BY |

Today, we have a fun raw food recipe for you…

Ann’s going to show you how to make a chopped lentil salad.

She’s also going to talk about sprouting lentils as well as steaming lentils (for those how have trouble digesting them!).

We had a lot of fun making this, so be sure to check it out.

Your question of the day: How do you prepare lentils? (or would you drink a gallon of steamed lentil juice?)

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Chopped Lentil and Mustard Salad

1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp dulse flakes
sea salt if needed

Soak lentils for 8 hours or over night with clean pure water. Rinse and drain twice daily until little tails appear. If eating raw you will need to repeat this for 2-3 days.

To steam, I steamed them the day after they soaked over night. Place water in pot with steaming basket, cover pot with lid. Turn temperature to high. When water boils, turn heat down to medium and continue steaming for about 15-20 min.

While the lentils are steaming chop up all your veggies into small pieces.

Combined all ingredients well, salt if needed and serve!

Enjoy 🙂

1. charles anacker says:

I would flavor the water with some seasoning and drink it as a broth or cut up vegetables in it, warm it to 108′ and have a raw, but warm soup.

2. Angelique says:

If you’re still in CO, I used to see big mockingbirds like they that, with some dark blue on them too. Lovely. (though people would complain about them – I never could figure out why)

For lentils, I either sprout them and then cook them or just cook them straight — usually in a crockpot on low all day with a lot of water and whatever spices sound good (sometimes special spice mixes I get like Ethiopian, Indian, Mexican, etc. or traditional Haitian spices)
    Then before serving, I use an immersion blender until somewhat smooth and spoon that over steamed rice (or other steamed grain du jour) or eat it solo like a thick soup. That’s one of my kids favorite meals.

3. Sarah says:

The salad looks delicious. I have both sprouted lentils and boiled them. I didn’t know spouted lentils were hard on the digestive system. That is good to know. I prefer cooked lentils anyway.

The bird in question is a Magpie. We have a lot of them here in Utah.

4. Beth says:

OMG that looks soooo good! And lentils have always been my favorite, even BEFORE I changed to a raw/living foods diet. Yum! I usually sprout them and use in salads, but I do crave them cooked, maybe I will try steaming them (it will be the first cooked food I’ve had in over 7 months!).

5. Jacqueline says:

Thank you for the neat video Kevin! I really enjoyed it.
    I usually bring some water to a light simmer in a pot. I close the heat and throw in the lentil sprouts (about half water/half lentil sprouts), and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes on the heated element. They absorb most of the water and whatever is left I drink or save for later use. I find it much easier to digest this way but they still remain a little crunchy. I enjoy them cold or warm, in a salad, in a warmed miso raw soup or mixed with brown rice and some veggies.

Jacqueline

6. Veronika says:

I sprout lentils and throw them in salads, but one time I made a raw Indian dish with marinated sprouted lentils and cauliflower. It was yummy. Strange, I think I actually digest lentils better when they’re sprouted and raw. But maybe that’s because I don’t soak lentils long enough prior to cooking them.

For the lentil juice, I recommend using it as a marinade for other vegetables or mushrooms (raw or cooked). Mmm, shitake would be good.

7. Sophia says:

The salad looks amazing!!! Can’t wait to try it.

8. jackie says:

I’ve never sprouted lentils. I cook them in a pot with water; first heat it till the lid spins, then turn the heat down very low until its done; about 20 min.. The lentils generally absorb all the liquid. I don’t think you can do this with just any pot though…mine is Lifetime.

9. a says:

I got home from work and had enough ingredients I tried this recipe right away. I normally sprout lentils but on short notice the only option is heat+water. So much for 100% raw today. I’ve been slipping up lately and that 4 part interview with that lady recently didn’t help.

I didn’t have scallions so I just used chopped onion. I had the idea to use some powder from this wasabi/horseradish/mustard combo, and a bunch of that dumped out. I have mustard seeds I could have ground up too but didn’t as I was worried it would be excessive. Approximated stuff. Munching it now. It’s pretty good. It’s different than I normally would make with spices I don’t know well so I’m not sure how this is supposed to taste or how to improve it. Thanks for the change of pace. I like it. Funny my sprout mix had a few garbonzo beans mixed with the lentils so there’s a few garbanzos in my mix here too. Cheers!

10. veronica says:

YAY! thanks guys. i like this recipe that can be raw but also is cooked im gonna try this one!!:)

11. Ineke says:

Thank you for this recipe. I’m going to try this for sure. Lentils is one of my comfort foods. How do I prepare it? Different ways, depending on the type of lentil. When I’m in a hurry I use the thin orange lentils to make a delicious Indian style soup or dahl. My daugther loves that and with soup…the longer it sits, the better it tastes. Like Kevin, I have a hard time digesting sprouted lentils plus..I do not like the taste. If I use the French style lentil (Dupuy) I soak and cook them and make a Mediterranean style salad of course with olive oil. Speaking about lentils..I want to recommend an Ethiopian restaurant in Colorado Springs that opened up just a couple of months ago. It is called “Uchenna” http://www.uchennalive.com. Maya’s vegetarian (lentil) dishes are OUTSTANDING!! Since there are only 12 seats, reservations are recommended, especially if you come from far. The food is always freshly made so you have to wait a bit but it is well worth it. Of course this type of food is served with “injerra”, an Ethiopian style sourdough bread. It is a flat bread made from teff.

Drinking lentil water? Thanks but no thanks

12. john says:

Well what can I say Kevin and Ann Marie, another 5 star show.Kevin I am not especially crazy about drinking steamed lentil juice,because of loss of enzymatic life force. But for taste would rather have lentil soup on a cold day.>>>>> Slow cook lentil,onion,olive oil,Parsley(lots) ,Lemon (lots), touch of Dill,salt. All ingredients chopped up even and uniform and consistent in size. Serve with cracker or Pita chips after a hard days work out side enjoyed at the table with your loved ones over good conversation. I really enjoyed AnnMarie lentil salad very much and I liked it when she brought up the point how the ingredients are all uniform in size. I do not like lentil water in the salad though ,so I have to agree with Kevin on that one .I do like beet juice though .Any way. I got a laugh of medicine when Kevin tried to discourage you not to put the steamed lentil juice in the lentil salad. You to have the right chemistry together as one.-Excellent show.

13. lifeistao says:

You guys make living healthy so much fun and humor! Enjoy your website and your show!

14. Helen says:

That salad looks delicious and very easy to make!

By the way that bird looks like a Magpie, we get loads of them here in Australia.

15. Gayathri says:

Just adding another perspective… For the vegetarians living in India, lentils are almost a staple food. They don’t go a day without it (almost), and eat it sometimes sprouted but mostly cooked along with vegetables and either rice/wheat bread.

16. Sofia says:

The bird was a magpie. They’re everywhere in England 🙂

17. Great Salad!! I am passing that recipe and this video to my raw food group and putting it on my blog.
    I just made a salad with sprouted lentils yesterday and it was a lot like yours but I add chopped cabbage (great sweet cabbage I got at farmers market) Wow, the cabbage went so well with the sprouted lentils!

I eat lentils both ways – love them sprouted and love them cooked. One of the few cooked foods I eat.

18. I’ve tried sprouted lentils, but they didn’t go well for me… I tend to use raw as a cleanse a few times a year, so I usually cook lentils when I have them. I LOVE them, in soups, in salads, in curries… very versatile and fast-cooking legume. Thanks for this idea, I love the dressing recipe!

19. KAREN BEATTIE says:

I MAKE LENTAL SOUP BUT YOUR SALAD LOOKS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE RAW VEGETABLES,I STEAM LIGHTLY THE VEGETABLES. SOME PEOPLE HAVE MADE TACOS WITH LENTALS; GREAT SOURCE OF PROTIEN. HEALTH IS WEALTH!

20. Angie Leigh says:

No Kevin, I wouldn’t do it! Annmarie, I will use a little of it my salad, but I will not be drinking a galon of lentil water anytime soon :). Haha.

I usually make a lovely soup out of lentils. I do not mind cooking certain foods. The lentil soup I make is my favourite soup. I add all raw ingredients after the soup has been taken off of the heat. I like to add pured avacado, chopped parsley/cilantro, freshly ground pepper, salt, and fresh olive oil on top. So although I cook the lentils all the rest of the ingredients remain raw. I LOVE IT Mmmmm, I just might have to make some today, it is raining here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

Take care you two!

21. Angie Leigh says:

OHHHHHHHH, AND LEMON! I FORGOT TO SAY LEMON,
    THE SOUP NEEDS LEMON!

22. Leam says:

I agree with a couple others – the bird looked like either a magpie or a mockingbird.
    Gently simmered lentils – less water for a salad such as this – more for soup. Cooked directly in the water, the lentils absorb more water and when tender hardly any water is left.

23. Beth says:

I don’t have lentils very often, but next time I will try sprouting them first.
    Let the lentil water/juice cool and then use it to water your plants. They will thrive!

24. Isabel says:

I have lentils once a week. I have developed my own recipe: I cook them with garlic, peppers, celery and I add chili or clove powder. I used to cook them with chopped carrots until I read that you should carrots should be boiled whole, not chopped, because they lose their nutrients.

25. Jacque says:

I think that bird is a cardinal!

26. Steamed lentils–what a novel idea! Does that mean you can steam rice, split peas, barley, dry beans, dry whole peas, etc., also? I usually boil all these things in water. I have tried sprouting a few things like that to just the tiny tail stage. Didn’t like any of them–too crunchy–so used them up soups/stews to get them out of my way.

I didn’t grow up eating lentils so they’re a new idea to me. Hubby likes them, though, so on the few occasions I prepare them it’s usually in a soup. Have had a couple that were really good–one included potatoes and lemon and I think leeks.

I have one of those steamer baskets and one of the leaves keeps falling out!

Connie

27. Carachi says:

I know B12 is not todays topic, but I thougth it best to post in the most recent post… so it is read.

Kevin, I have heard an interview with You and Jameth Sheridan, where he claims B12 levels could be raised by… one of his green products.
    Thing is – as I recall it – he talked about active and inactive B12, and that none of the other (analog) sources such as Spirulina/Chlorella could raise B12, but for some reason this product could. I THINK it was Vitamineral Green? Or one of his other products.
    Would much appreciate Your comment on this!

28. Lilith says:

Kevin, are you kidding us? What’s groce about lentil water?? If the water is groce, then you should think the lentils are groce too?!

OF COURSE I use the water! I ALWAYS use any boiling water, to drink, or to put in my green smoothie soup. Anything you boil will leave a lot of goodies in the water. So of course you should use it for something!

Thinking of it. Define “groce” please?
    When did the water degrade from nutritional drink to “groce”? What poisened it? When at the same time you are prepared to eat the substance that you claim “groced” the water, eather in it’s “post groce” state, or EVEN it it’s “PRE groce” state! (i e you eat the lentils, and the lentils sprouts, right? So how can you eat the lentils if you at the same time think they “poison” the water?)
    :-6

29. Melina says:

The bird looks like a Magpie. 🙂

30. Peg says:

I love sprouted lentils–I used to add them to Indian veggie dishes. I will definitely try the steamed lentil water.

I think the steamed sprouted lentils would go well in a salad I make from the book by Gabriel Cousens. I make one with veggies and quinoa and black beans. I am going to make it with the lentils. 🙂

31. Jentree says:

Just moved to Colorado a month ago. I asked an older man and he told me it’s a magpie =)

32. Marla says:

Thank you for making marriage look so fun! Those of us who are single can only guess at life’s potential partners and wonder…
    No doubt your open and teachable spirit, your winning way of sharing, your unsatiable appetite for more knowledge, is a beautiful testimony of what you put into your body. I love steamed lentils with celery, onions, carrots and garlic. Keep up the wonderful testimony of love!

33. MARI says:

My digestion also doesn’t do well with cooked lentils, but I discovered
    soaking and sprouting for a day, does the trick. Then I use them in a vegie, quinoa soup with cumin and coriander seasonings, love it, one of our staple cooked foods. Freezes well too.

34. Rae says:

In response to your remark about the size of Palisades peaches, are you sure they’re not genetically engineered? I just saw a video about the first genetically engineered salmon on the Care2 petition site, and they seem to be three times as big as normal salmon. Also I’ve noticed that a lot of cantaloupes are huge these days, and a few years ago there were some enormous pomegranates in the store. They were the “Wonderful” variety that is used to make the well-known Pom juices.

35. Heather Hemphill says:

That is a magpie.

sounds like a great salad thanks

36. Chris says:

With lentils.. I sprout them… and add them to my smoothies. They’re blended and not hard to digest that way.

In colder weather I will occasionally make lentil soup which I dearly love – – and will treat myself with it on rare occasions, like a free Sunday afternoon. All legumes are difficult to eat raw.. If I eat them, I usually eat them cooked.. Because I don’t eat much cooked food.. its such a grand treat.. and food tastes so divine. . legumes and the occasional baked potatoe. Baked potatoes smell simply amazing when you eat them only rarely. (i.e. if I’m at a standard restaurant and they don’t understand a big enough salad for me) Life is so good. . when you’re raw with an occasional cooked meal.

37. Mary says:

Hi Guys, Love this one – great recipe! I sometimes make you wrong Kev for your many opinions. I apologize. There is nothing gross or good, only what you say it is. The Lentil water is fine, only you think it isn’t, others think beet water is gross. I request that you Please pay attention of the words that you speak. They are so important, words create worlds.

Loving you Both, keep up the great work.
    M:)

38. did not know the english name for the bird till now, thats awesome, magpie. didnt believe it at first since ive been living in australia for a while and theres magpies there and they look pretty different.

i love lentils. only really eat it as dahl, in wraps and in indian lentil soup tho..

i think its very positive that you dont shy from cooked foods, its a tiny bit annoying when theres those “raw food extremists” that is all like COOKED FOOD IS POISON (anyone read one of david wolfes first book?)
    props to you two as always!

peace -ida

39. sophie says:

Excellent recipe! The salad is very delicious.