Raw Food Recipe for Delicious Mexican Sweet Drink (Raw Horchata) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #652

Wednesday Sep 8 | BY |

We were out with friends recently and they were serving Horchata – a Mexican rice drink…

Unfortunately, their recipe had cream, so we didn’t have any.

Annmarie wanted to give horchata a try using a raw food recipe… and she nailed it.

Use this recipe the next time you make your raw walnut meat tacos to WOW your friends!

Your question of the day: What can you do with rice pulp?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Horchata

4 Cups water
1/2 Cup uncooked long-grain brown rice (soaked over night)
1 Cup raw cashew nuts (soaked 20 min.)
2 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 Cup raisins

Making Cashew Milk:

Rinse the cashew really well and blend with 2 1/2 cups water. Strain the pulp with a nut milk bag and set a side.

Making Rice Milk:

Rinse the rice really well and blend with 1 1/2 cup water and cinnamon sticks. Strain the pulp with a nut milk bad and set a side.

Making the Horchata:

Blend the Cashew Milk, Rice Milk, cinnamon powder, vanilla powder, and raisins.

Serve in a glass with cinnamon sprinkled on top! You can also serve over ice 🙂

Kev and Ann

1. Petra says:

Do you have to strain the pulp from the kasju milk and the rice? if so why?

2. Liz Williams says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I use almond pulp in making crackers.

I have a request of you.

Do you know of anyone who might want to share a hotel room at the Longevity Now Conference? I booked a non-smoking room with 2 queen size beds. As we are hardly in the room, I would LOVE to share it with someone and split the cost. I have booked the room for Thursday through Sunday night (4 nights). If you know of anyone, could you let me know? And give them my contact information?

The best way to reach me is on my cell at 303-638-5388, or at juicefeaster@earthlink.net.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing you there!

Liz

3. Ildiko says:

This is a great recipe, was wondering though if we can eat raw rice like that??? Does this mean that I can make rice milk for my daughter the same way??? This would be rawesome!!!!!

4. Angie Smith says:

Rice with chicken
    Rice with cheese
    Rice with shoes

You crack me up!

FYI (to those who care): brown rice isn’t raw – it’s all heated when processed, except for “sweet brown rice” which is a glutinous rice that will sprout.

I would think that you could use rice pulp wherever you would use nut pulp – crackers, cookies, breads, etc.

5. Hi, I think there is no need to use that amount of cashews, that is expensive, I think we can substitute with only one or two tablespoons of raw cashew butter, but anyway, I’m mexican and like horchata a lot, but they use milk to do it, so, I’m going to try these recipe. Thanks

6. KAREN BEATTIE says:

GREAT RECIPE! I LOVE RICE BUT COOK IT IN MACROBIOTIC FOOD WITH SOYA SAUCE.

7. Donna in Portland says:

Great recipe! Horchata is normally a vegan drink. Who puts cows milk in it? Also Kevin were you serious about using HFC as a sweetner? That stuff is nasty. Ever see the documentary film called King Corn?

Loving those recipes keep them coming.

Donna

8. Radames says:

LOL!!! Great video….Kevin was in a funny mood this morning huh? LOL. so i have no idea what to do with the rice except for some type of dehydrated rice cake??? Arroz con pollo- rice with chicken. Arroz con queso-rice with cheese. Arroz con zapatos(my favorite)LOL-rice with shoes!!! Nice Kevin…good spanish! So since you are in Sedona, will you be coming down to Phoenix before leaving AZ? I would love to meet you if you do. Please let me know!!!! Awesome recipe! be well!!!

9. jason says:

@Angie: I’ve read several articles on sprouting rice on the internet (haven’t tried it, yet) and have not run across any information that it has been heated beyond the ability to germinate. I did read, though, that it should be very fresh. Can you point to specific information that you’ve found?

@Kevin & Annmarie: Make cookies, crackers, or breads with the rice pulp.

This is a timely discussion, because the UN has begun recommending people eat germinated brown rice as a solution to worldwide nutrition & hunger issues.

10. Gordy says:

I am growing to watch your shows daily. I find eating my organic apples and peanut butter is just the perfect time to catch the next episode! Positively entertaining!

Not sure what to use the rice pulp for other than baking… or maybe throwing it in the next pasta sauce with veggies!

Question: Eating fruit (apples) with peanut butter for breakfast…
    Is this not good food combination as the apples would normally digest faster than the butter? I have been eating them for years and they work for my morning starter.

11. Thomas says:

It seems germinated brown rice is growing in popularity:

“A nutritionally superior method of preparation using GABA rice or germinated brown rice (GBR). This involves soaking washed brown rice for 20 hours in warm water (38 °C or 100 °F) prior to cooking it. This process stimulates germination, which activates various enzymes in the rice. By this method, it is possible to obtain a more complete amino acid profile, including GABA.”

This site has instructions even:

12. Angie Smith says:

I’ve never made rice milk, so I have zero experience with using the pulp.

Maybe I’ll do it and make cookies with high fructose corn syrup. 😀

13. john says:

Another tasty show.How about using the pulp as dog food ,dogs eat it .

14. Deborah says:

Looks divine! Can’t wait to try your recipe … here in Cape Town, South Africa 😉

As for the rice flour … perhaps you can dehydrate the pulp, then grind it into rice flour … for creative raw uses, or even baking gluten free.

Liz, it would be my dream to come to the Longevity Conference … I’m just waiting on a miracle. If there’s progress, I’d love to share a room, and I’ll be in touch!

Deborah

15. Denise says:

Thanks guys for this great Horchata recipe! I’m not vegan but have a really bad dairy allergy. I’ve been living in Mexico for many years but have never been able to enjoy this delicious drink before because everyone adds milk to it. I’ll be whipping up a batch tomorrow!

:o)

16. xplorexpress says:

Hmmmm! That could make a very nice Tchai tea 🙂 Now for the pulp, without the cinnamon though… I mix some of it when I make dips or stuffing for stuffed mushrooms, stuffed tomatoes or stuffed peppers, it acts as a filler and bring some kind of interesting texture. I am about 85-90% raw but not vegan as i have B12 & folic deficiencies, and it has a good taste mix with home made mayonnaise or a mousseline (vinaigrette with Dijon mustard). I sometimes mix a bit with my gluten free crêpes dough… also in raw breads, cookies, crackers as it has no taste…. so… loose imagination for your spices like cajun, hmmmmmm

Bon Appétit 😀

17. laura says:

Orchata in Spain is a super-delicious tigernuts (Cyperus esculentus) drink, totally vegan and raw. Popular refreshement in summer, it is served very cold.

🙂 with the pulp.. i like the chai tea idea 🙂

18. Beverly says:

We love Horchata around here (La Fresca)
    Annmarie is so pretty 🙂

19. Veronika says:

#5 Donna in Portland – Kevin was joking! He’s completely against the use of high fructose corn syrup.

He makes sarcastic comments like that and assumes everyone is a frequent viewer and would get the joke, but alas (actually, thankfully) there are lots of new folks who see these videos everyday. 😉

20. great recipe, I have not considered doing raw rice milk. Would sprouting it not be even more beneficial? Coincidentally I just posted a raw mexican gazpacho if anyone is interested:
    Thanks again,
    Christie

21. Ivy says:

Thanks for the recipe, I’m going to try it, and use the info about sprouting rice to get more from raw rice milk. We learn so much from these kinds of collaborative recipes and questions! Thank you so much to doing the show and keeping them coming on a daily basis! I love Wednesdays shows!
    I also need to find something to do with all the Tomatoes I’m getting from the garden. I went to John Kohlers expo and he’s full of energy and motivation. I learned so much from that show, and met so many raw cooks. I made my first raw cheesecake last week and I’m growing a collard tree in the front yard 🙂
    My boyfriend converted his front lawn into a vegetable garden quick and easy just by digging a few holes and filling them with the duck manure John recommended.

22. Nihacc says:

In Spain we drink horchata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata)made of ‘chufa’ (tiger nut or earth almond http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_nut), which is little tuber very typical in Valencia, with water, cinamon, lemon zest and a sweetener (usually sugar, but I use dates). The name horchata cames from the Valencian language, when many years ago they used to sell horchata at the street as tiger nut milk, and then a Spanish king tasted it, loved it and said to the girl that sold it: ‘This is not milk, it is gold (or), darling (xata)!’ So, or + xata = horchata.
    This is my recipe: http://frutosdelbosque.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/horchata/ Hope you like the story! 🙂

23. Rhonda D says:

Great recipe looks really good.

Love your show. always look forward to them.
    As for the rice pulp use it in cracker, cookies, breads, or make a raw tortilla?

Best of health to you both

24. Kari says:

Hey Kevin and Ann Marie!!

I was wondering – does the soaking of brown rice completely take away the phytic acid? brown rice is fairly high on the list as far as I know.

I didn’t know the Mexicans had an Horchata that wasn’t the same one as the Horchata de chufa in spain – how intriguing! I recently had my first tatse of the spanish one, so this will be great !! (the spanish version isnt available in Norway – my friend brought it up after his vacation, you see)

Love Wednesdays!!

25. paul says:

Great show guys. Hey Kev, about sweeteners, what do you think about xylitol? I’ve been using it for a few weeks now. I stopped using sugar years ago and usually add a bit of raw honey to sweeten things. Xylitol tastes pretty much like sugar and from everything thing I’ve read, its supposed to be good for you. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
    Thanks!

26. Leam says:

The rice pulp would make a great skin exfoliant.
    I enjoyed the tale of horchata as told by #22 Nihacc.
    Annemarie, you are a buff beauty!

27. Connie says:

I tried making rice milk a few months ago for several weeks for my husband and son who eat a lot of cold cereal. After a few weeks they admitted they could not stand it anymore–too gritty I think–so I switched to making almond milk which they like a lot better. I never did know what to do with the pulp so just dumped it in the compost. Now I need recipes for using up the almond pulp!

I have a funny story to tell about the rice milk.

One day I decided to use some when making scalloped potatoes with dehydrated potatoes and onions–which I had covered in boiling water in order to speed up the rehydration process. I was trying to do this on the fly, without a recipe and in a hurry, so I thought it would be easiest to thicken the milk by cooking it with flour, butter, and salt as I often did with soy milk and then mix that into the rehydrated potatoes and onions. I totally forgot that rice will swell up and thicken when cooked, so I ended up with a gloppy mess! I didn’t want to waste all this stuff so I thinned it out a bit and mixed it into the potatoes and onions–and their rehydrating water–then stuck the pot into the oven. It took several reheats (the last time frying it in chunks to resemble fried potatoes) to get it all used up because no-one wanted to eat it! I think I can safely say it was my worst cooking experience ever!

28. Connie says:

Oh, I forgot to ask–since I don’t make rice milk anymore–can I use almond milk instead? Or just flavour cashew milk with cinnamon, dates and vanilla to get a good drink?

Thanks!

29. Angela says:

Hi! Love your show. Love you both. This recipe looks amazing, will make that today! Been wondering about rice milk and how to do it raw. Thanks for all your tips!

30. Angela says:

to answer the question of the day, I think freeze it until you have a couple cups of it and make a cooked vegan rice pudding out it.

31. Blair says:

rice with chicken

rice with cheese

and i believe you said arroz con zapatos? meaning rice with shoes haha

i spent a semester living in costa rica so gallo pinto was the favorite, which is arroz con frijoles, rice with beans!

32. Emma says:

Just made this recipe and it turned out very well. I don’t have a nutmilk bag, but I have some white linen that I got for yogurt making (straining the whey) that worked well. With the rice milk the finer grit also will sink to the bottom of the container you keep it in while making the cashew milk. I used a little less cinnamon because it seemed like a lot, but probably best to go with personal taste. The raisins did sweeten it, but also add a certain flavor so it would be fun to experiment with what sweetener to use. Overall it gets a thumbs up! I made a patty out of the rice paste and think it would be fun to give to a kid like playdo. Thanks for the fun recipe!

33. Thank you so much for teaching me this! I went right ahead and made it yesterday and added some chia and a few goji berries to the left over this morning and it was kind of like a rice pudding. Really, really nice. I just love it. I will def be making it again 🙂

34. Also, I used dates instead of raisins and I’ve no clue what to do with the left over rice mush but will look out for an answer here!

35. i love cinnamon so i bet this would be high on the awesomeness scale!
    dont worry kevin, i laughed at ur high fructose syrup comment – just traveled in USA for about a month and that stuff is seriously in EVERYTHING, crazy.
    nearly like how i found out that we here in norway use aspartam in things and mark it “sugar free” and that frankly sickens me. lets just stay away from processed foods hey..

i have no other idea what to do with the rice pulp other than what u said, to use it in crackers..

havnt watched ur show for months btw, great to catch up!

36. Debbie says:

Very cool show! Thanks to you both!
    I love the kitchen shows! It was very interesting to watch you make this. I’m going out to buy a nut milk bag on my way home as I have never made my own.
    Thanks so much!
    Have a wonderful day!!!

37. Martin says:

This sounds like a nice recipe. I have never made this before. I hope that mine turns out as well as yours did.

38. Jackie says:

Where did you get the container to put your water in?

Jackie

39. Bree Pierre says:

Good blog post, my partner is now more serious with her healthy eating, especially in the last few years so we are always around local fruit and veg markets, vegetarian restaurants and even a health food bookshop. Its exciting even if you aren’t a vegan yourself, theres so much good food around!