Raw Food Recipe for Yummy Asian Kale Salad : The Renegade Health Show Episode #638

Thursday Aug 19 | BY |

Annmarie recently went to visit our friends Shivie and Cemaaj from the Cook and Butler…

Shivie made her some dinner and it was awesome.

In this show, you get to see the awesome raw food recipe for Asian kale salad that they shared.

Your question of the day: What should we name this salad?

The Raw Food Recipe for today…

Asian Kale Salad

Almond Chili Kale Dressing:

4 tbsp raw almond butter
2 chopped jalepenos or sm red pepper (I used red)
2 cloves of garlic, finley minced (more or less to taste)
1-2″ of fresh ginger, finely minced
2 tsp tamari (can use soy sauce, but tamari is wheat free and soy sauce is not, I also like to use low sodium)
2 tbsp maple syrup

Put all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together with a fork. Add water to adjust to desired consistency (ie more for a dressing and less for a dip).

Salad:

Kale

Plus optional toppings:

red and green cabbage
sliced tomatoes
avocado
black and tan sesame seeds
crunchy sea vegetables

Take kale and if it’s limp cut off ends and place in water. Leave for 20 min. or so. When you return the kale should be sitting upright and vibrant. Wash and tear into pieces removing the tough stems.

To wilt the kale simply massage it in your hands (no salt or oil required). The kale will take on a look of being steamed and is ready to be dressed or put into containers in the fridge where it will be good for 2-3 days.

Add shredded red and green cabbage, chopped tomatoes, avocado, apple and crunchy sea vegetables and dressing.*

*as a basic salad just kale will work, you can create a salad out of any greens you have at the time, the one above is our personal favorite combination, experiment and find out yours!

If you’d like to learn more about The Cook and Butler, please visit their website here: http://www.thecookandbutler.com

1. Katie says:

YUM!!!! Thank You

2. Ronn says:

How ’bout “All O’KASIAN Salad”?

It looks delicious, and it’s great to know you can wilt kale without using any oil and salt. Very happy to know that!

3. Genevieve says:

Looks amazing, thanks! How about Shivie’s kale Salad. Simple, but it is her unique recipe.

4. john says:

Nice show Ann Marie.As for a salad name how about -POWER SALAD or a ORGANIC WEED LIFT ( OWL). As always your charm always comes thru Ann Marie.

5. Muriel says:

I would name it “WHALE KALE’ salad.
    Would always know it was from Renegade Health Show.
    That is what i am going to call it.
    Love everything about this salad. Thanks!

6. sharon says:

This is not a comment about today’s show. I just want to contact Kevin and I figure he reads all the posts.

The email that you sent today with your thoughts about the egg recall was excellent!!

I just want to suggest that you send those thoughts as a Letter to the Editor at the NY Times and the LA Times.

BTW, the Kale Salad looks good too.

7. Kuru says:

I really appreciated the egg article too; it would be great to get it somewhere mainstream as Sharon suggested.

Kale massage is awesome! I like Shivie’s name (and the name for the salad!).

8. Satori says:

“Peace in Kale Salad”

((((Asian Salad–> Asia–> Buddhism–> Enlightenment=Peace in Mind)))

The salad looks soooo yummy!!!

BTW, I have a question for Annmarie. I just started to learn about the whole anti-aging thing (it’s about time!!) and am wondering if MSM powder is actually good for my aging skin. It is something I want to take?

Thanks!!

9. Ingrid says:

I’d like to second what Sharon said. This was probably the best e-mail you’ve sent us Kevin! And more people should read it than just The Renegade Health Show mailing list.

The salad dressing seems very interesting
    too!

10. cindy says:

TO ANNMARIE
    YOU SHOULD SIGN UP FOR JASON ANDREW WROBEL NEWSLETTER AND YOU’LL RECEIVE AND AMAZING E-BOOK. SOME OF HIS RECIPES ARE SMOOTHIE’S,PANCAKES,CHILI,SALAD’S, DESSERT’S(CHEESECAKE’S)HIS E-MAIL IS jasonwrobel.com
    HIS E-BOOK IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CINDY

11. josephinesped says:

Asian Crushed Kale

12. bethany says:

I’m new to this raw way of eating, can you please elaborate on ‘crunchy sea vegetables’? What are they? Where do I get them? thanks

13. Veronika says:

This is a response to Kevin’s newsletter he sent out today about the probiotic mineral supplement giving him acne:

Please please please – tell us what strains of probiotics give you acne! I have similar patches every once in a while and want to figure out what’s causing it. I know you don’t want to give the company a bad name, so if you could just tell us the strains, that would be incredibly helpful. I want to start making coconut & almond yogurt, and I want to choose a proteolytic probiotic to use as the starter, but I don’t want to ruin my skin.

Acne sufferers will greatly appreciate the info, so we shouldn’t withhold it from them. =) My skin has already greatly improved by following forums and hearing from people how they healed their skin holistically. That’s how I found out I’m allergic to gluten, and similarly we should post info if certain probiotics give some people breakouts.

Thank you so much!!

14. Angelique says:

I’m sorry, was there a kale salad in that video… ‘cuz I was too distracted looking at Annemarie’s beautifully proportioned arms! Seriously, such a great physique. Any time Annmarie has exercise tips, I listen!

OK, for the salad, how about…

* Sweetly Spicy Thai Kale
    or
    * Thai Kale Bliss
    or
    * Anytime Asian Kale

15. Basia says:

Love this and other simple green salad recipes (eg curry in the past). Is there a soy free substitute for soy/tamari sauce? It seems like more raw food places are stating that they are soy free–what are they using in their recipes as a substitute? So many recipes have soy sauce. Thanks!

16. Angelique says:

Hi Basia — there’s a coconut aminos being sold by the brand name Coconut Secret, that’s very similar to soy sauce. I think it’s a bit sweetier but awesome for avoiding soy and gluten.

17. Michael says:

I just put together this salad and OMG, it’s soo good! Call it the OMG salad? It’s the first time I’ve had raw kale outside of a green smoothie and I know I’ll be doing it more. Massaged kale is great.

18. shivie says:

Hey everyone, its Shivie-thank you all for your kind comments and name suggestions…love them all, for those that have made the salad and enjoyed it I am very happy, kale is so good for us and this is just a tasty way to get a bunch of kale into our systems.
    I meant to mention that you can substitute peanut butter and soy sauce-note they should be organic and raw (Trader Joes has a good price), non organic peanuts are very toxic and can contain aflatoxin a toxin 10s deadlier than DDT, they are also rotated with non food crops so heavy on pesticides. Organic Soy because most soy is genetically modified…and if you were wondering, the difference between tamari and soy is that tamari is what is used in Japan and is wheat free, soy sauce and nama shoyu both contain wheat.
    Dressing lasts up to 5 days in the refrigerator (if you havent eaten it already). Massaged kale can be done 2-3 days ahead and adding shredded red and green cabbage makes a big hearty salad, top with crunchy sea vegeatables and get ready to chew!
    Thank you all again for your comments

19. shivie says:

@Bethany-crunchy sea vegetables are long dried strands of sea veggies available in the bulk department of health food stores and or coops. For those in the Bay Area Rainbow Co-Op is where we source ours, you can probably find them on the internet, they are light so shipping should be reasonable. They look expensive per pounds but you dont use much atop each salad and they are a powerhouse of nutrients, add color and have an intersting texture, very crunchy when you put them on and then they wilt a little and have a leathery chewy texture which compliments the cabbage and kale (and avo)…hope that helps
    Make it a RAWsome day
    Shivie

20. Betsy says:

what is a sea vegie? Do you mean seaweed? aka Nori, Dulse, akame, etc?

21. Susan Bessette says:

I made this recipe and it went over very well with my company. Thanks.

22. Connie says:

Where do you get the little cups to put the salad dressing in?