Raw Food Recipe for Delicious Summer Squash with Dill Sauce : The Renegade Health Show Episode #627

Wednesday Aug 4 | BY |

It’s about that time…

When summer squash is so abundant, you really have no idea what to do with it.

In this recipe, Annmarie prepares a raw food recipe using summer squash. She also adds a great dill sauce from Rene Oswald to put it over the top!

Here’s the recipe…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite summer salad?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Summer Squash Salad with Rene’s Dill Sauce

• 3 yellow squash (about 2 lb.)
• 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water for 15 minutes
• 10 sun-dried olives, pitted
• 2 ears of corn, kernels removed from cob
• 1/2 lb. lettuce or spinach leaves

Shred the spaghetti squash with a manual shredder such as the Saladacco or use the food processor with the shredding blade, juilianne with your knife. Transfer squash to a large bowl.

Thinly slice the sun-dried tomatoes, chop the olives and fold into the squash with the corn. Serve over a bed of chopped lettuce greens.

Delicious Dill Sauce:

• 2 carrots, cut into 1 1/2” pieces
• 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1 1/2” pieces
• 1/4 cup raw tahini
• 2 dates, soaked in water for 15 minutes, pitted (I only used 1)
• 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tbsp Nama Shoyu (I did not add)
• 1 tbsp chickpea miso or 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
• 1/2 tsp onion granules (I used 1/4 fresh union)
• 1/16 tsp cayenne (I forgot this)
• 1 tbsp dill weed

Place above sauce ingredients in high-speed blender. Run on high until smooth, run blender 1-2 minutes if you prefer a warm sauce.

Fold in the dill weed and pour desired amount into the squash salad.

Many thanks to Rene Oswald for the recipe! http://www.reneoswald.com (She’s not only a good chef, she’s also a good tennis player… LOL!)

1. Melissa says:

Yum! There is something about eating such fresh ingredients in the summer salads that makes them extra tasty!
    I love tabouli or I make a simple tomato, onion, zucchini salad with some rice vinegar(or any vinegar will do),paprika, salt, pepper, and olive oil (optional. So refreshing.
    Thank you for sharing your salad recipe guys!!

2. Adam says:

A low salt diet can be just as bad as a high salt diet. Salt is essential for adrenal and thyroid function. If you have hypertension, it is often as a result of dehydration. Just drink more water. I am a big fan of a lot of your ideas and work, Kevin, however I think you might be a bit off about salt. Look into some of the works of M.D. David Brownstein and Dr. Batmanghelidj.

3. eyla says:

fresh, ripe tomatoes with basil and olive oil

4. Jan says:

Anything with dill in it.
    I like baked pototes with olive oil and dill.
    The best in cucumbers, vinegar, onion, and dill or chives.

5. Sandy says:

When will you come out with your long programs on the “make overs” you are going to do?

When will the DVD Fat, something… and Nearly Dead, be available for purchase??

6. Diana says:

My fav salad is
    romaine & kale
    bell peppers
    cucumbers
    grape tomatoes
    cabbage (not always)
    soaked wakame
    hemp seeds
    avocado

Dressing:
    olive oil, braggs (or nama shoyu) and braggs apple cider vinegar (mixed to taste)

I have this salad (I vary the greens) pretty much every day. Just love it!!

Diana

7. Diana says:

My web site above should read:
    http://www.rawfoodsmadesimple.com (sorry)

8. terri says:

Kevin & Annmarie,

Still lovin’ the recipe you brought back from Honduras:

Wendy Green’s Chopped Cauliflower Salad

In processor, using largest slicer blade;

1/2 Head of Cauliflower
    1 Bunch Broccoli
    1/2 Head Green Cabbage

Hand cut into thin slices;

1 Red Bell Pepper
    1 Orange Bell Pepper
    4 Radishes
    4 Scallions
    1 Cp Olives

Mix together in small bowl, then combine with all other ingredients in a larger bowl;

1/3 Cup Cold Pressed Sesame Oil (Or Flax or Hemp)
    2 Teaspoons Cumin
    2 Teaspoons Fresh or Powdered Ginger
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    Sea Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

Share and enjoy!!!

9. Roberta McMillian says:

That looks yummy! I love finely grated beets, carrots, sliced leeks, chopped red pepper with balsalmic vinegar served over greens (your favorite)and any fresh herbs you have: parsley, dill, or basil. Sometimes I serve it in Nori that’s been quartered, like a little wrap.

10. Kuru says:

I agree with Adam about salt, from what I’ve read and experienced. It seems pretty well documented that there is a vast difference in table salt (normally rock or ocean salt that is mined, heat blasted, chemically treated, and then anti-caking agents and iodine added to it), and sea salt (hand raked and left in the sun to dry. All of the trace and micro-nutrients are fully intact. Even though the sodium content may be the same, in sea salt the correct balance of sodium and chloride are present as well as calcium, magnesium, potassium and 90 other trace and micro-nutrients.) These major minerals work in tandem to produce strong bodies.

We give animals salt licks to replace minerals and keep them healthy, and even you guys sell sea water for plants. Why would it be good for them and not for us? I think this needs to be reconsidered.

Thanks for another great recipe!

11. Craigs says:

I like Arugula salad when it first picked nice and hot!!!!. I have to agree with Kevin on the salt issue. Dulse Flakes have sodium for Salty taste in it. PLus the iodine is balanced to not mess someone up who has Hyperthyrodism Like the iodine added to salt. It will cure this condition in about 2 months. Any information Here is not to treat or cure any health Conditions.Consult your Natural Dr .This is for information only

12. Craigs says:

Whoops Dulse flakes will cure The thyroid Problems

13. KAREN BEATTIE says:

GUACAMOLE! AVOCADO, TOMATO, CELANTRO,ONIONS, CHILE AND LEMON JUICE. MELONS! YOURS LOOKS REALLY GOOD THOUGH! 5 A DAY AND MORE OF ALL THE GOODNESS THE GARDEN HAS TO OFFER!

14. Ginger Umstattd says:

My favorite summer salad comes from Turkey:
    chopped tomatoes
    Chopped cucumbers
    Chopped onion
    Cilantro

The trick to this simple salad is salting the chopped onion, massaging it in, then soaking the onions for 5 minutes. The Turkish women repeat this 5 times, but I usually only do it 3 times. The salt and water take the heat out of the onion, makes them sweet and clear as if cooked!

Add EV olive oil and either lemon or apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I use Braggs Healthy Vinegrette as a short cut. The cilantro is my addition to the recipe. Great taste!

15. Jonathan says:

I have to agree with Adam and Kuru about salt being good for you. A friend of mine I believe actually got rid of a lot of her water retention by using Himalayan salt. These natural, unrefined, pure salts have lots of good minerals. That said, I think it’s a good idea not to consume a lot of even a healthy salt. For me, it seems to contribute to constipation. But I still think some salt (the good kind) is good for you.

16. Dave says:

Salt is an irritant and corrosive. Why do you think you can’t survive on sea water? Healthy salt? No such thing.. Only sodium from plant sources is neccessary for human health.

“Salt is essential for adrenal and thyroid function”? No – sodium is.

17. Betsy says:

Vegies right from the garden-is brocolli ok to eat raw. it doesn’t seem to bother me. I like to through hemp seeds and chia seeds on top with the dressing. Also-can’t we find a good blender with a glass carafe instead of plastic? I hates plastic-arghh + thanks

18. Dee says:

I still like all of the standards, Cole Slaw, Potato Salad and Tuna Salad. New one is kale salad with just kale, lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes and kelp salt.

19. Leam says:

Favorite salad goes back to my youth – freshly picked tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots from the garden sprinkled with Spike Vege-Sal. There is nothing like sun-warmed tomatoes, crisp, pickling cucumbers and freshly pulled carrots – the herb salt mixes with the vegetables to create a juicy dressing. My siblings and I ate this everyday during summer after weeding or watering our huge family garden.

Are you suffering from allergies or a summer cold? It sounded like it yesterday and today. Maybe just the way it sounds through my computer, but if so, I hope you take good care of yourselves.

20. My favorite summer salad is yellow or green squash spiralized and then add freshly made “wild weed pesto”. This is an improvement on the standard raw vegan pesto. In addition to the ingredients for pesto (basil, olive oil, lemon, pine nuts and garlic) I add: dandelions, cilantro, arugula, plantain, ground seaweed (for the salt), brazil nuts for selenium and creaminess. This makes a knock-out pesto that not only tastes marvelous, but cleanses you at the same time (cilantro, dandelions and seaweed).

I agree with Kevin that you can get all the salt you need from sea veggies. All of the trace minerals (including potassium and magnesium) are in the exact quantities that your body can assimilate perfectly! Sometimes when we are “craving” salt, we are really craving potassium or magnesium.

21. I thought as long as sodium is natural it’s something we should strive to get. When I was juice feasting the guideline stressed getting a head of celery a day just for the sodium.

I’ve also heard that celtic sea salt and himalyan pink salt are really healthy because of the trace minerals while table salt not only doesn’t have trace minerals but does have alot of toxins.

So, now a little confused. Can you do a segment on salt and sodium sources?

22. Connie says:

This salad looks so good I printed off the recipe to try! Thanks!

Question: When you arrange the food on a plate or bowl for us to see the presentation, does that represent the amount of the food one of you eats? I always enjoy seeing how pretty the food is, but I always wonder at how little there is on the plate! Surely you guys eat a lot more than that???

Connie

23. paula says:

hi, there. a great replacement for salt is umeboshi (both purée and/or the whole fruit).
    great shows! thanks a lot.

24. Dana says:

I love to add sprouted mung beans to green salads, they taste like fresh peas to me.

Also on the topic of sodium. I do not eat any processed food so I justify using a mineral salt. I use Real Salt http://www.realsalt.com/ which is mined in Utah where I live, I love it. I also have read about the benefits of miso and have been trying to use it everyday. I have low blood pressure so I’m not worrie about that but I’m wondering if it could contribute to water weight gain. I am always struggling with an extra 5 lbs.

Any insight?

Lots of Love,
    Dana

25. Zoe Raine Simmons says:

My favorite summer salads are those that I can create with veggies straight from my friends garden in upstate new york. mm mm mmm.

Just wanted to say thanks! for allowing me to pull inspiration and start healing myself. I started getting serious about my health a few years ago but the beginning of this summer was when I decided REALLY serious. In my search for more information I came across your site and since then I have never lost motivation! I am now flying on my own and have dropped a considerable amount of excess weight in just the last two months! Even cooler is how I can really tell what my body needs when it needs it and no longer feel sluggish! I can hardly sit still I have so much energy which makes me get out and live. You guys have really affected me, thank you so much for being you.
    -Zoe Raine

26. suze says:

my comment is a question: I’ve noticed on this video and on others that when Annmarie serves up her recipes she serves such a tiny portion! Is this how you guys normally eat??? i mean, wow, what a small serving. jus sayin’ 🙂

27. Karen says:

My favorite summer salad is standing in the garden and eating a mixture of greens, beans, peas, carrots, straight from the plants.

28. john says:

Thank you Kevin for your comment about good salt verses bad salt and source derived ,well said.AnnMarie your salad looks so deliciously Italian ! You two are so inspirational.

29. nick says:

Cucumber with soy sauce,sesame oil
    optional
    apple cider vinager soaked with dandelion root
    stevia and or agave, honey

30. Norma G. says:

I had a cucumber, tomato, basil and onion salad using Bragg’s Vinaigrette over the week-end. Simple but good.

I’ve been taught the importance of sun-dried air-dried sea salt even for kids. Besides the nutrients for our thyroid and adrenal glands, it’s needed in the production of HCL. It also kills pin worms in kids and is needed for digestion and elimination. I make sure my kids get at least a half tsp. a day.

31. Rachel Ngai says:

Raw fruits and vegetables with lemon juice or hummus

32. Terresa says:

I prepared the summer squash dill sauce and it was delightful. Only thing missing was the fresh corn of the cobb. Oh well, next time. And there will be a next time. The exciting part is my family eat the first 100% raw meal and did not complain.

Thanks
    Terresa

33. Veronica says:

Does anyone know if sea salt contains iodine?

34. Amy-Marie Wiechert says:

Maybe you did a vid on this before (haven’t checked) but I would really like to know what type of knives you use (recommend) and also, safest type of cutlery, dishes, etc to use. Thanks. Anuradha

35. Traci says:

I’d like to know how much activity Annmarie is getting while on the clean vegan diet?

36. Misty says:

Hi, this sounds so yummy! Thank you for sharing!! This will definately be added to my favorite. i also love lett, tomatoe, basil, cuke and olives with olive oil.

I just wanted to say when i went 80-10-10 i didnt do ANY salt and when i started incorporating himalayan sea salt, or Real Salt back in my diet i felt less whoozy. My blood labs all showed super low salt and i felt weak all the time.

I am also a long distance swimmer and when i get out of the pool and have salt water it really can make a difference. also many europeans avidly drink sole and they swear by it, just a little bit of my 02%!!

37. josephinesped says:

Rummage-through-the-garden salad:

A dozen or so young, raw, green and yellow beans; chopped, or torn if I just grab all of these and take them to my picnic table, basil leaves; a chopped/torn garlic leaf or garlic flowers; pieces of fennel fronds/flowers; a few spearmint and black mint leaves; drizzle of olive oil if desired; grape tomatoes.

38. aurora says:

Thanks for the fun recipe! Can’t wait to try it.

By the way, how is your thyroid doing, Annmarie? I’m now 80% off of my prescription thyroid dose of 16 years, thanks to some things I’m doing, including significantly increased iodine and celtic sea salt intake (it’s still very early in the process too). I hope to be 100% off within the next 6 months, and it’s SUCH a victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The minerals in our diet (and in sea water) may be of more value than we thought. I’ve always had very low blood pressure, and I grew up on a low salt diet, which I’ve generally maintained throughout my life. However, the Dr. Brownstein approach has been life giving! AND, thanks to your great research, I don’t worry about eating cruciferous veggies, as they are SO good for you and don’t appear to be compromising my thyroid one bit. YAHOO! Just wanted to add another perspective on salt, since I’ve come from a similar point of view to you in the past, Kevn.

Keep up the great work!