Raw Food Recipe for Sweet Lucuma Mousse – The Renegade Health Show Episode #598

Thursday Jun 24 | BY |

We’re crazy about fresh lucuma right now…

This is a fun raw food recipe that is a mousse, a spread or just about whatever you want it to be.

If you don’t have fresh lucuma, you can use powdered lucuma and banana, mamee or eggfruit.

Check this out (and be sure to check out my new scarf at the end)…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite – lucuma, tangerine or passion fruit?

Here’s the raw food recipe…

Sweet Lucuma Mousse

1 Lucuma
Juice of 1/2 tangerine
1/4 cup water (can use almond milk for a creamier mousse)

Blend together, serve in a passion fruit shell with some passion fruit seeds on top! If you don’t have fresh lucuma, you can use lucuma powder and banana, mamee, or eggfruit.

1. Veronica says:

Where can one buy a lucuma? Can you use the powdered instead?

2. Karen says:

I am lucky enough to have three tangerine trees and really love them. I also love the passion fruit flavor in anything. I do have lucuma powder but don’t use it much. Your scarf was beautiful. Have fun!

3. john says:

Great show .Hope the best for both of you be safe. Never had lucuma .But looks like sweet potato. Will seek this out and try ground pistachios on it and make it into an order hows that sound. Wonder does it have a real strong sweet taste or a mild sweet taste. That Alpaca scarf is more expensive than wool and is warmer than wool and wears longer.It is the best you can get and is very expensive in stores .What you have their is a very high quality piece. I would strongly advise you to love birds to buy several of them for yourselves and your other loved ones in the states you will not regret it . Alpaca is very very warm.Warmer than wool. God be with you.

4. Tara Burner says:

my fav of those would be tangerine
    cool design on the scarf
    from vegan aspect it’d still be a “no-no” since we don’t consume, use, wear, etc. anything from animal but some vegans do, some don’t…personal preference 🙂
    excellent video as always

5. Satori says:

Loved today’s show! You guys are so chilled and Annmarie is o so pretty!!

I live in LA and see passion fruits all the time at nearby Ralphs or whatever market that is. I’ve never bought them though because they are just so hard to eat. I’ll definitely try blending them. Thanks for the idea!

For the question, I pick tangerines. They are like apples in Japan. I used to buy them from a 7-11 before school:D

6. Charlotte says:

hmm, never had passion fruit but I love lucuma powder in smoothies!
    good show!

7. Tamikko says:

I’ve only had lucuma powder, never the fruit. But I’m going to keep my eyes open for it. I love tangerines and have had passionfruit once or twice. I’m going to have to have it again this summer. Yummy recipe guys and the scarf is just beautiful 🙂

8. Nova says:

Thanks for the little taste of Peru!
    You haven’t mentioned what the lucuma
    tastes like (anything similar to what we eat
    in north america)? More like a papaya or a
    sweet potato?

9. Sophia says:

Can’t wait to try lucuma! 🙂

10. Lindsey says:

I have a question that does not really have that much to do with today’s show. I have been breaking out in heat rash recently. I have lived in Washington for two summers now, and this has never happened to me before. could it be caused by some kind of nutrient difficiency?

11. StellaJervis says:

lucuma looks awesome! I see how busy you are, so you can take your time answering this, but I could use your help. I’m looking for a raw baba ghanoush recipe. I’ve been trying to make it, but it tastes so bitter. Also, the recipes I’ve found appear as if they have not been tried, tested, and approved enthusiastically. Thanks in advance! love the show…

12. rainbow says:

of the three, i have only had tangerines fresh, and i do revel in them when they are good.

what does lucuma taste like raw and fresh? is it similar to the sweet potato it looks like, or different? what is it’s texture? are they very sweet?

and what part of the passion fruit do you eat? the white inside, or the seeds? sure wish you folks would try your foods on camera; then we (i) would know more about it. many thanks, rainbow 🙂

ps–loved that scarf too. clearly full of heart and love. sounds like the critters are treated well, i am grateful (and hopeful) for that.

13. LuAnn Agustin says:

#11 Stella, I have this raw recipe in my collection though I have not made it yet. It sounds good. Enjoy!

Baba Ganouj

Ingredients:
    Amount Unit Name Note
    1 eggplant chopped

2 TB tahini raw

1 juice lemon

2 cloves garlic

3 TB olive oil

sea salt to taste

paprika to taste, as garnish

Directions:
    1. Process eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
    2. Spread onto a plate, drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and paprika.
    3. Serve with fresh veggies.

14. Kari says:

I live in NW Ohio. I’d never even heard of lucuma until a week ago, and passion fruit is an artificial flavor for sugary drinks. I suppose that makes my favorite tangerine by default.

Great show!

P.S. Kevin, Facebook says you have too many friends, so I can’t friend you.

15. May says:

I have 2 passionfruit vines in my garden. Last year we had almost 200 fruits from the largest vine but they ripened a few at a time over a period of almost 3 months – how perfect is that?

Ours are larger than the one you showed – dark purple and egg-shaped but too big to be able to close your hand around them. MMMmMmmmmmmm…

16. Jacquie says:

That scarf is just gorgeous! What a wonderful treasure to have. Thanks for the recipe. 🙂

17. Love the recipe!!

I had NO idea that lucuma was in the same family as eggfrutit!!! I absolutely love eggfruit and it looks almost identical to the lucuma. Chris doesnt like it as much. To me it is delectable yumminess.. ,mmmm
    THanks for that recipe.
    I actually saved some seeds of mine and Chris planted them yesterday. So glad the show came up bc we forgot what seed it was. LOL!
    Anyhoo, we have em growing now. YAY!
    As for choosing a fave out of those three its hard. LOVE the passion fruit as well. It does look alien!! Kev you funny. We call them lilikoi out here in Hawaii.
    We got busted trying to mail RossO some o them yummies. They confiscated the lilikoi and sent the rest. (watermelon seeds) So dont any one try to mail them. THey have dogs that sniff out fruit. Bummer.
    RossO, your gonna have to come out here or go to Peru to try em out.

Thank you guys so much for sharing your trip in Peru. LOVE the scarf. What a treasure.
    Have a blast! Cant wait for the next show!

Lots of Love~
    C&S

18. Connie says:

I have been hearing about lucuma only since I discovered your show, and usually see it as a powdered ingredient added to recipes–so I somehow got the idea it was like vanilla, just a flavouring. Glad to know it’s a whole food. However, I would really like to know what it TASTES like before I even think about buying the powder. Looks like caramel or butterscotch. How cool would that be!

Have never had passion fruit either, so was glad to see you show that on the show. I always had the impression that passion fruit was a big soft and juicy fruit like a mango or something. Hard to eat? Hmm. Why is that? The white stuff left after you removed the seeds looked like coconut meat. Is it like that?

So that leaves tangerines. Love those! So juicy and sweet and convenient. MMMmmmmm

Connie

19. Maria says:

Passionfruit! Yum! Here in Australia we put it in yoghurt, serve it with ice-cream, flavour muffins and cakes with it, top meringue-type cakes and desserts with it and mix it in with fruit salad. Fabulous fruit!

20. Shanon says:

I bought Lucuma powder from your store, but didn’t know what to do with it! I’ve put it in smoothies, but can’t really taste it. How much Lucuma powder should I be using per 16 oz. smoothie?

Thanks!

21. Darshana says:

May (#15) where is your garden?! I live in San Francisco Bay Area, and can grow passionflower vines, though some die in the Winter. I have had one that made fruit, but it was a small egg size, purple, and I could never tell when they were ripe, so usually they would be too dried out to eat when I finally picked them. I love the taste of passion fruit when I have had it in Hawaii! The flowers alone are worth it to me though, just exquisite! My favorite fruit that grows in my yard is pineapple guava (feijoa sellowiana) sometimes called guavasteen – it is delicious and tropical tasting to me!

22. Jan says:

Never had passion fruit or lucuma.

The alpaca scarf is so nice – it is amazing how it was made with such simple tools

23. Teresa says:

I lived in Peru for 6 months after college in 2008, and I absolutely fell in love with Lucuma. It is such a unique and delicious fruit. I also ate lots and lots of cherimoya while I was there. I wish I still had access to fresh lucuma, so I could try out this mousse. Maybe I could try using the powder although nothing compares to the real thing.

The scarf is really neat too! What are you doing in Peru? I just loved it there and seeing your video really makes me want to go back.