Raw Food Recipe for Raw Vegan Sushi Rolls : The Renegade Health Show Episode #587

Wednesday Jun 9 | BY |

Today is our anniversary!

We’re celebrating it with some raw vegan sushi rolls. ๐Ÿ™‚

This week we start working on that huge list that you all posted last week. One by one, we’ll make your favorite cooked foods and turn them raw.

Sushi rolls were the first (and quite honestly, some of the easiest!).

NOTE: If you can’t view this video, please watch over on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-u_PaTOrOA

Your question of the day: What sauce do you like for your sushi?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your message today!

Raw Food Recipe for Raw Vegan Sushi Rolls

For the Rice:

1 head cauliflower
1/2 Tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. raw honey

Filling:

2 carrots, julienned
1 cucumber, julienned
1/2 inch of fresh Ginger julienned
5 big leaves of basil
cauliflower rice

To roll with a mat:

1. Place a nori sheet on sushi mat.
2. Spread the rice on 3/4 of the roll.
3. Lay the veggies in the middle of the rice spread.
4. Roll using the mat. (See video for technique)

Get your fingertips wet in water or rice vinegar mixture and run it along the nori roll where you want the end to stick. Next, slice the roll with a sharp wet knife.

To Roll without a mat:

1. Cut one sheet of nori in half.
2. Place half sheet in your hand, shiny side down.
3. Spread the rice on the nori – only on the left side.
4. Lay the veggie fillings on top of the rice.
5. Roll the nori by starting with the bottom left corner – up towards the right top corner to form a cone shape.

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didnโ€™t change the way he was living โ€” he might go down that same path. Since then, heโ€™s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, heโ€™s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols โ€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more โ€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com โ€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. Heather says:

Hmmm when I clicked on the video it said the video you requested is not available. I refreshed several times and it still would not come up.

2. Peg says:

I also got the message that the video is not available, so I went over to you tube and was able to watch it there.

I like both wasabi and soy sauce–mixed.

3. Veronica says:

Can’t see the video when I click.

4. Tyra McMahon says:

same here

5. Same for me, the video will not play, says it’s not available.

6. Jo says:

Great recipe!!Love wasabi mixed with soy sauce. Happy anniversary! I would love to see some of your wedding photos….Post some!

7. Debbie Grezik says:

Kevin, Annmarie ,HAPPY ANNIVERSARY kids, enjoy !!!! Great demo on the Nori rolls !!!!

8. greg says:

mmmmm……..teriyaki sauce or some kind of fresh sweet and sour with fresh pineapple juice in it!!!!! Damn, sushi sounds good for dinner!

9. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Weird… it’s working on YouTube… here’s that link…

10. Deanna says:

I could not see it either. I will try U tube.
    Happy Anniversary!!! How many is this?

lol,
    Deanna

11. Darlena says:

First of all…. a very Happy Anniversary to you both…. your marriage is a wonderful example of two people working together as one… very inspiring!!!
    Also…. I am with Kevin on the use of the cauliflower…. if you don’t eat it within a few minutes…it sours.
    My choice when I make sushi is raw parsnips.. I rice them in the processer and mix them with soaked cashews so they are creamier… I like lots of avocado, cucumber and some carrots on mine too….
    For a sauce, I am pretty traditional!!!

12. Paul says:

Happy Anniversary! Enjoyed the show. I use parsnips for rice as well. Great job. I like wasabi and tamari to dip.

13. RJ says:

I’ll try youTube also. “HAPPY ANNIVERSARY”.
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    The last 2 days of your video mishaps prove to us all that both of you are still on a HONEYMOON!
    “)
    You naughty little lovebugs!!!!!!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    Stay in love and have a FANTASTIC 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Christy Bull says:

Happy- Happy- Happy Anniversary! I’ve wondered ever since I have been watching your web site (about 1 1/2 years) how long you two have been married. I’m a real romantic at heart and I like knowing these things. Could you post some of you wedding photos for some of us that have never seen your wonderful day.

Thanks also for the gift of the Ormus Greens.

Be blessed and have many more wonderful and healthy years.

Christy

15. Amy Davidson says:

Happy Aniversary!
    I am a sucker for soy sauce with a pinch of wasabi.

16. Kathy says:

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

17. Cindy in Marin says:

Happy Anniversary!

18. Helena says:

Happy 3rd Anniversary! ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. Diana(Ohio) says:

Happy Anniversary guys!!! Are your wedding and honeymoon pictures still available for viewing? I remember seeing them way back when, they were great!!
    Diana (Ohio)

20. Heather says:

Yup u tube worked. I like this recipe thank you.

21. Ineke says:

Kevin and Annemarie, Happy anniversary and yes, you almost pronounced my name right. Thank you for responding so quickly to my request! I thought it would be a good idea to do a demo on sushi. I think I will try it with a raw sunflower seed pate but I realize I then cannot use avocado (bad food combining) I am not a fan of raw cauliflower. BTW, we will be off to Durango and Mesa Verde by the end of the week and we will be visiting Katherina Blair’s Turtle creek. I’m looking forward to it. Thanks again!! Always great shows and very informative. Kevin, since you guys are in California I have another good idea. I think you should be doing a show on…WINE . It is a fermented food!!! You would be a big hit in Europe!!!

What sauce do I like with sushi? Please no wasabi. Years ago I literally burned a hole in my stomach with it so I will stick with tamari or nama shoyu

22. Diana(Ohio) says:

Ineke
    Oh how wonderful, I would LOVE to visit Turtle Lake!!! I have their DVD and cookbook, and Katrina is SOOO down to earth. Kevin, if you have any other interviews with Katrina that you have not posted yet, could you, please? I think you guys really enjoyed your visit there.

23. Tamikko says:

Happy 3rd Anniversary you too!!! Sushi is my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Tamikko says:

…forgot to answer the question. I always add pickled ginger to my nama shoyu ๐Ÿ™‚ yummy

25. Oscar says:

1)Happy Anniversary
    2)Make your own dehydrator with a box fan and
    “paper” air conditioner filters, and large
    rubber bands.

26. Catherine says:

I had to go to youtube too.
    As for sauce… I like Tamari.
    Happy Anniversay!!!

27. Erin says:

to make it vegan, don’t use honey

28. Denise says:

Happy Anniversary! I use finely shredded cabbage in my raw sushi rolls for the rice – works good too!

29. Pat G. says:

Happy A, you guys! Gee, I feel like I’ve been showing up here everyday of your lives for the past 3 years.

Since you mentioned Abeba, let me say my homie rocks! I met her at OHI in 12/2002, and later grew to love the crackers she’s worked tirelessly to perfect…her wonderful Krazy Krackers. See her here on San Francisco’s ABC Channel 7’s The View from the Bay where she talked about her wonderful creations and wowed Spencer and Janelle (6/8/2010): http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=view_from_the_bay/food_wine&id=7477509

Get Abeba’s wonderful books and ebooks here: http://www.absolutelyabebaskrazykrackers.com/order.html and remember…a good crunch brings you home!

I love you, Abeba!! See you soon!!!!

CORRECTION: Kev, she’s located here:

Absolutely Abeba’s Krazy Krackers
    163 Pelton Center Way
    San Leandro, CA 95477
    Phone: 510 351-3157
    Email: absolutelyabeba@att.net

Tell her I sent you!!!

Pat Godinez
    xo

30. texmex says:

Super video.
    The problem with viewing embedded video seems to come from Firefox release. So click on embedded videos and you go to you tube automatically in another tab, or wait for next version of firefox or switch to Chrome ๐Ÿ™‚

31. anastasios says:

Happy Anniversary and a happy long life!!!Love you all!!!
    Tamari!

32. jasmyn says:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY:)

awesome recipe:) do you know that the very first time i ever tried sushi i thought the wasabi was avocado… it was not;)

33. LuAnn Agustin says:

My son makes his nori rolls with a sunflower seed pate, carrots, cucumber, avocado slices, sunflower sprouts (pea sprouts would be great also), and sometimes a little shredded cabbage too. No need for a rice replacement! YUMMY.

Happy Anniversary, Annmarie and Kevin!

Love Jonny Five illustrated wrap up at the end of your segments!!!

34. Kathryn says:

Happy Anniversary!

Great show – really excited about the corn chips as I have been craving this lately.

How about sprouted quinoa in a sushi roll?

35. Lykke says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,

love your shows!!
    I have a comment/question for yesterdays show, I donยดt know it this is the setting to ask??
    Anyway.. It was interesting the effect you measured from the tv and computer and pretty scary aswell… I find that when I sit with my laptop in my lap for a while.. It affects me, I get tired and can get dizzy – it is much better for me to sit at a desk doing computerwork.
    So do you believe there could be a connection??
    And what about cellphones?? And while sleeping is it the wise to use the alarm clock in the mobile so that it lies just next to you during the night??
    I would really appreciate your comments on this,
    thanks

bless you two,
    love Lykke, Denmark

36. Misty says:

Soy sauce and wasabi

37. Jan says:

Have a great day and a wonderful anniversary!

38. Andrew Casson says:

Happy Anniversary!

39. Dee says:

Happy Anniversary!!!

40. Beth says:

Happy Anniversary!

41. Gayle says:

I love to put wasabi and fresh ginger in a huge mound on top of each piece of sushi. Love both wasabi and ginger, so add it to lots of things! Don’t dip at all.

42. Karen says:

Happy anniversary, you lovely souls!

43. Chris says:

Love my sushi with soysauce and a good blast of wasabi mixed in!

44. Didiydi says:

Happy Anniversary!!!
    i love tamari

45. Wishing you both a beautiful day. Happy Anniversary! Nama Shoyu for me.

46. My mouth watered as I saw the rolls being prepared. I am a big fan of cauliflower, and I love the rice idea!

Thanks! My favorite sauce would be a small amount of soy sauce with wasabi mixed in.

47. Thomas says:

to Lykke (response #36),
    You should go to http://www.google.com and type in “laptop and leg injury”.

You will see lots of responses.

Laptops without stands (like iLap) have caused many leg injuries. The electromagnetism is NOT healthy for people.

There was a TV program about it a few years ago. They had track athletes (runners) whose careers were ended by severe leg injuries caused by their laptops.

You should use an iLap or similar stand or at least a thick insulation layer. But a desk or table is a safer way to use a “laptop”. They should be called “portables” instead of “laptops”. It gives people the wrong idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

48. Hi, thanks for answering my question about rice replacement. I will try each one.
    Now I know why the cauliflower was never satisfactory, I make it ahead of time. I will try the jicama, and the turnip.
    I will try nori rolls again, this time with the mat. They have never been anything to brag about before.
    I dehydrated some zucchini last year and threw it out as a failed experiment. Hope yours turns out better.
    Just finished day 4 of my 30 day raw. So far so good. (I had previously been 50 – 75% raw, so it is not a HUGE deal, but still a challenge.)
    Happy Anniversary.

49. Alice Harper says:

Kevin, please don’t move the camera around so much!
    Anna Marie, Thanks for the lesson! I have the mat but never used it as I did not know how. Never thought to ask you guys!! Thanks, again.
    Sorry, I am going to miss you at Bliss Fest in Missouri in July.

50. john says:

CONGRATULATIONS to you two beautiful SUNFLOWERS on your third year of marriage .I wish both of you many more -FOREVER ! God Bless both of you. Sorry but I am not into sushi.

51. Nick says:

Sure a green powder is appropriate when on a road trip or when space truckin with NASA maybe, but if we’re getting an adequate array of fresh greens in our diet, what use can a green powder be to us? I doubt that the greens were grown any more enlightenedly than the fresh organics available in stores. Hmm, unless they were dried immediately after their harvest (shrug)

52. HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY !
    Many more happy years together.
    It’s so refreshing to see couples
    who really like (not just love )each other after several years.

Great recipe. Thank you !

53. Pat says:

Have you ever tried parsnips for the rice. Don’t use them if they are sweet.
    we have been married 31 wonderful years. “Love is a CHOICE”

54. Wes Davis says:

I love sushi! I don’t recall having veggie sushi rolls, but I may have and I will make these for sure. I will serve them with soy sauce and wasabi, I love that stuff as well, wasabi!

55. Chris & Sara says:

Well, we use to have sake bombers with our sushi! LOL .
    We like a spicy wasabi soy sauce.

Boy times have changed.

Happy Anniversary ~ Little love bugs~

Here is to a joyous next year for you guys!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lots of Love

C&S

56. Cindy says:

So how did you guys meet? Were you both raw before you met each other? just wondering ๐Ÿ˜€

57. Kira says:

BRAGGS + wasabi!

yumm!

58. Claudia says:

I actually like to use parsnip for the “rice” too. It has a slight sweetness to it which is nice.

59. Jacquie says:

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love to dip into a Thai dressing. Yummy! Second choice would be Tamari or Nama Shoyu. Blessings on your next year together, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

60. Cherie says:

Happy Anniversary!

What can you replace the Nori sheets with? Everything looked great except the seaweed. The last time I bought a pack of Nori sheets, I opened them and I thought I was going to puke. I gave them away and went back to using taco shells until I can figure out something else to use.

61. MaryAnna says:

I love to use raw shoyu and wasabi but I also like to eat pickled ginger with it. You can actually make it very easy on your own and make sure that is raw ๐Ÿ˜‰ I tried it and it is great. Here is recipe:

1 ginger root (try to get young one so it will turn nice pink when it ages)
    1-2 cups of raw apple cider vinegar
    raw honey to taste

Grate or slice ginger so you have fairly thin circles, put it in a clean jar. Mix vinegar with honey and pour it over prepared ginger. Keep it in a closed jar in refrigerator. You can actually use the liquid to moisture your โ€œriceโ€œ because it is already sweet and sour at the same time. I made my batch 3 months ago and it is still nice and yummy.

You can see photo of my batch here http://marijanapontoni.com/fotke/ginger.png ๐Ÿ™‚

62. nick says:

Sprouts blend well with sushi rolls I like to dip them in both wasabi and Organic Nama Shoyu

63. Lea says:

Hi guys! Question- do you do anything to the nori first? My first attempt at sushi was this week and it was awesome, except the nori. It was super chewy and I could not get it down. I made a raw peanut sauce to go with it that was incredible. I really really want to make it again, but for me and my carnivore of a husband, so they have to be perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!